Live Discussion - Fly By Knight

Archive for discussions from 2010. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

K.A.C.I.
Operative

Re: Live Discussion - Fly By Knight

Post by K.A.C.I. » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:12 pm

This episode has the single most awesome transformation EVER, when KITT transforms into an old-school Mustang MACH1.
I expected the kid to be annoying, but surprisingly, he wasn't. KITT bitching out Mike sorta came out of nowhere, but it was funny. Mike talking about his Mom was great, I loved seeing the KNIGHT plate at the end of the episode.

Who was the guy who played that government bloke Sarah was talking to? He looked kinda familiar.

Pretty great episode overall.
Knight Autonomous Cyber-Automotive Interceptor

Milkman
Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Milkman » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:42 pm

K.A.C.I. wrote:KITT bitching out Mike sorta came out of nowhere
I felt the same way. I wasn't overly crazy about this part, since KITT seemed overly adversarial, but it wasn't bad.

Master_Knight
Volunteer

Post by Master_Knight » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:46 pm

I wrote a comment earlier today about the show, but i was just wondering what people thought about one of the topics i mentioned.

What do you guys think about Mike being called 'Mike', what i mean by that is i would much rather hear him being called and referred to as Michael not Mike all the time, cos i mean he is supposed to be Michael Knight after all. I know its not a huge deal, but its another small detail that i feel would bring that old nostalgic feeling back from TOS, i would much rather hear KI3T shout or even just say 'Michael'! instead of 'Mike'.

I know that he introduces himself as MK to strangers, but i would really like other people like Sarah, Billy and especially KI3T call him Michael.

Anyway let me know what you guys think?

Thanks.

kittxthexcat
Rookie

Post by kittxthexcat » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:56 pm

I don't know, I actually like him being called "Mike". It fits his personality more...that and it lets fans like us distinguish between Mike and Michael Sr. XD I'm glad he doesn't say "I'm Mike Knight" though. That just sounds...stupid.
---
Kitt the Cat, but you can call me Spiff.

Billy: "I just ask cause it sounds like Kitt's making you his bitch..."
Mike: "Get back to the math BILLY!"

Lynda414
FLAG Assistant

Post by Lynda414 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:02 pm

Yeah, I have no problem with it as well. He's not his father. KITT could call him Michael when he was really frustrated though, that might be funny actually.

Shapeshifter
FLAG Recruit

Post by Shapeshifter » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:04 pm

Got a tidbit or two...

The voice from the tower that you hear at the beginning of the show is none other than Dave Andron, the writer. I guess they couldn't afford to hire another voice-over person! Anyway, he did a fine job.

The references to Mike's mother make sense, since Andron wrote the 2-hour pilot, and if anyone on the writing staff would want to revisit this, it would be him.

Again, great episode. We're not dead yet!

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:25 pm

K.A.C.I. wrote: Who was the guy who played that government bloke Sarah was talking to? He looked kinda familiar.
Fred Williamson, famous for pro football and acting. Starring in many Blaxploitation movies from the 70's including one of my personal favs Black Caeser

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Williamson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mikey
Volunteer

Post by mikey » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:26 pm

absolutely loved this episode.

All the transformations made sense, each character was utilized effectively, and the banter between KITT and Mike was incredibly enjoyable.

Doing a turboboost for the sake of turboboosting I don't agree with. Use it for when the story calls for it.

10/10 for this episode.

Garthe Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Garthe Knight » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:41 pm

They acknowledged the backdoor pilot with Mike's talk about his mother. Yay for that! :good:

To sum it up, a veeery solid Knight Rider episode. Yes, you read correct, not just an episode, but a Knight Rider episode. Give me more! :D

honnziva
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by honnziva » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:48 pm

KITT only refers to michael as michael... the others call him mike..... unless ive missed this
Last edited by honnziva on Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To our future. No matter who it may take us up against or where"

kittxthexcat
Rookie

Post by kittxthexcat » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:49 pm

honnziva wrote:KITT only refers to michael as michael... the others call him michael...... unless ive miss ed this

Almost everyone calls him Mike O.o Kitt even called him Mike way back when Will Arnett was still his voice.
---

honnziva
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by honnziva » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:50 pm

right... in the backdoor it was mike this mike that... but arnett never had one episode air
"To our future. No matter who it may take us up against or where"

kittxthexcat
Rookie

Post by kittxthexcat » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:59 pm

Pretty sure Sarah says in this episode "Kitt's been spending to much time with Mike." I don't think I've ever heard one of the main characters call him Michael, except maybe Kitt just once or twice.
---

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:01 pm

^^ KITT always refers to him as "Michael".

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:31 pm

KnightINSTINCT wrote:Were you just really tired when you watched this episode? Do you really want KI2T to just take over on the show or what? I don't get it.

This episode rode so well on it's pace that I felt like the 45 or so minutes of the show felt longer. Detail, man...this story had great detail. And you gripe about it! A.U.F.K.M.??? Please tell me the logic on preferring a laser over a gun, and I'll post a thread on KRO dedicating it to calling myself the horse's ass for everyone to cheer about. If you really want to throw a argument out that the guns were just "too real", then trash the car, trash the characters.....trash effing everything, because your complaint is as ridiculous as this rant! Safety, violence.....place the card down.

honestly....
Apparently things have come to the point here where people can't seem to have their own opinions and not be bashed for them unless it follows the rest of the crowd. It's as if some people think their opinion is going to override anyone else's who doesn't happen to be the same. My advice to you? Be happy you liked the episode and don't care about those who don't follow the popular trend of liking everything that's handed to them.

Since you didn't get it from my first post, the logic in using a laser over a gun is BECAUSE K.I.T.T. ISN'T SUPPOSED TO HAVE OFFENSIVE WEAPONS. He doesn't kill anyone with the guns, so does he really need them? The laser, while it can be used as an offensive weapon, also has more practical uses like frying locks and things of that nature, for which it's been used so far. And the lack of action made the show feel slower for me, whether you agree with it or not.

Your point of view seems to be to take what's handed to you first, then make excuses for why it's practical when a year ago, most of us would never give the concept of K.I.T.T. having offensive weapons the light of day. Enjoy your episode and I'll enjoy writing my posts regardless of how many people (if any) agree with me or not.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Milkman
Recruit

Post by Milkman » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:43 pm

Did anyone notice that when KITT was shooting up the minivan that the Plymouth logo was very visible (and not covered up)?

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:45 pm

Milkman wrote:Did anyone notice that when KITT was shooting up the minivan that the Plymouth logo was very visible (and not covered up)?
Yes, and I also noticed that it got destroyed so easily because it wasn't a Ford. :)
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Transparent
Rookie

Post by Transparent » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:56 pm

Best episode by far... and imo actually better than most of season 3 and 4 of the original

They've finally realised that the banter between Kitt and Micheal is what knight rider was about - two mates, one of whom just happened to be a car.

Kinda makes me sad that there may be only 1 episode left :(

_K3000_
Operative

Post by _K3000_ » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:02 pm

I think anyone with fast looking saw the Knight Lisecense plate right at the end! when i saw that i was like :O BAAAAAAAANG! that was awesome. And i also loved the reference to his mom being shot :) :good: at leats its somewhat to the pilot :) awesome episode loved every minute of it!
"We Can Make A Difference" Help Support The Show

ghidorah15
Rookie

Post by ghidorah15 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:10 pm

Transparent wrote:Kinda makes me sad that there may be only 1 episode left :(
Actually, there are two left, if I remember right.

Mathyus
Rookie

Post by Mathyus » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:54 pm

I have never done a screen capture before, so I am not sure how to do it. But i was watching the EP again, and did see the KNIGHT plate at the end.
End of line program... -MCP-

Knight4life
Operative

Post by Knight4life » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:53 pm

Overall it was a light hearted episode,i enjoyed it.The FAKE green screen driving was evident in a few shots.The transformation to the attack mode didn't look quite appealing and the transformation to the classic mustang was better.Truck Transformation (despite our dislikes) was executed neatly.Please fix the fake driving thing it looks awkward also there were a few shots where it looked like Mike was driving from the passenger side.There were clearly editing flaws as well sometimes they'd show KITT in auto pilot and the next shot Mike is driving KITT (hands on steering wheel).I also didn't like the MTV flashy editing style when KITT does a 180 degree turn in the Attack mode.The Machine Guns popped out in a weird manner but all the firing thing and going back into the hood was neat.I liked the HUD showing passenger restraint system.Why did dual G.E. Mini Guns come out when only one could have done the job (Kitt only wanted to scare the guy and didn't want to hurt him).

lunchmeat
FLAG Recruit

Post by lunchmeat » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:15 pm

Lynda414 wrote:Yeah, I have no problem with it as well. He's not his father. KITT could call him Michael when he was really frustrated though, that might be funny actually.
My thoughts exactly. Actually, I'll take this a step further - I think that KI3T should be the only person who calls him Michael, while everyone else calls him Mike. Especially with KI3T's ribbing....that would be awesome. I can imagine Mike complaining that he doesn't get any respect from his car. :P

Lost Knight, saw your post, and I'd like to open discussion with you. Not trying to derail your opinion, or bash it, but just discuss. Sometimes there isn't enough of that around here (and I might be guilty of causing it at times).
Lost Knight wrote:I'm also not liking how the use of kids in this show are used to basically tell young audiences, "Look, this is cool because the kids in our show say so!"
I never got the impression that the children featured in the show were meant to say that anything was "cool"...I always thought that it was a throwback to TOS scripts where kids would be featured in the show. Could you elaborate a little more on this? As far as I remember, so far there have only been two children featured in KR08.
Maria Menounos was kind of wasted as a character and she should've been developed more. It should've at least been explained more why her character was a raging b#$%# to Mike throughout the entire episode and shown her really come around at the end. Simply choosing to not lock him up didn't feel like enough of a payoff for me. I briefly ran into her when I was in Burbank and can say she's a lot nicer in real life, fortunately, though.
While I understand where you're coming from with this, it seems as though they left it open for future appearances by Maria or other DEA agents. The impression I got from the entire exchange was that the DEA was now aware of Mike, and he'd have a record with them - and in future episodes, he'd continue to have run-ins with them. I found her character intriguing because they didn't develop her as much - so there are a lot of unanswered questions.
The classic Mustang was cool. For a split-second, I did think that K.I.T.T. was going to transform into the Knight 2000 and was disappointed when he turned into another Mustang instead. On the positive side, I loved that old school 180-degree turn K.I.T.T. did off the tow truck.
I, too, had that little jump - I knew it wouldn't happen, but there was still that tiny chance. I did like the Mustang, though (although the interior was questionable; KI3T's orb sticks out like a sore....snow globe, really...) and I thought it was a logical treatment for an "oldschool" disguise.

KI3T's 180 was awesome, yeah. Oh yeah. Loved the look of surprise on the tow-truck driver's face, as well.
Knight4life wrote:Why did dual G.E. Mini Guns come out when only one could have done the job (Kitt only wanted to scare the guy and didn't want to hurt him).
Hey, if you're gonna scare someone, you gotta go all the way, right? :P Nah, it was probably just for symmetry purposes. Plus, the dual guns looked pretty cool.
If I am destroyed... ...so shall you be. -KARR

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:21 pm

lunchmeat wrote:
Lynda414 wrote:Yeah, I have no problem with it as well. He's not his father. KITT could call him Michael when he was really frustrated though, that might be funny actually.
My thoughts exactly. Actually, I'll take this a step further - I think that KI3T should be the only person who calls him Michael, while everyone else calls him Mike. Especially with KI3T's ribbing....that would be awesome. I can imagine Mike complaining that he doesn't get any respect from his car. :P
I thought that was sort of the idea, anyway. Personally, I'd prefer it if he introduced himself as "Michael Knight" too, something he rarely does, and leave "Mike" for the people who already know him. It kind of beats the purpose of a new identity otherwise, which is a little bit irritating.
lunchmeat wrote:I never got the impression that the children featured in the show were meant to say that anything was "cool"...I always thought that it was a throwback to TOS scripts where kids would be featured in the show. Could you elaborate a little more on this? As far as I remember, so far there have only been two children featured in KR08.
I think he means how the little guy would point out again and again how cool the car is (and had supposedly the IQ to make his statements facts, el-ow-el at that). In all honesty, this used to happen constantly in the original as well, but it's a somewhat old and tired technique, so I can see where he's coming from.

blazevski
Recruit

Post by blazevski » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:23 pm

mmm... yeah ur right... I don't know where I got that idea about turbo boost being operatable only in attack mode...
Anyhow... attack mode is still ugly :lol: Pilot was much better