Live Discussion - Exit Light, Enter Knight

Archive for discussions from 2010. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: Live Discussion - Exit Light, Enter Knight

Post by Victor Kros » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:23 am

Michael Pajaro wrote:I'm going to side with the minority on this one; I didn't think this was a strong episode.

If KARR should have been a two-parter, this episode should have been 30 minutes. There was a lot of "vamping" with little to move the plot forward. Gunfight ran a bit long; the tunnel chase ran long. And very little of the action involved KITT.

The storyline by itself was fine. There wasn't really anything "bad" about the episode, just nothing to make it stand out.

A few small things I did like:

When Mike said he needed coffee, I was terrified that KITT would pour him a cup. Glad he didn't.
I like that this wasn't an assignment; it was just something Mike stumbled into.
I like seeing the self-healing-windows.
Good to see KITT moving his own steering wheel (although we need to see KITT driving without tinted windows.
Mike: "You're gonna hit me again when I tell you... KITT's my car.... OWWWW... I saw that coming." Funny stuff.
- I agree with Mike on his assessment of this episode. I would also like to add that I am still confused as to whether K3000 has nano shields or nano armor or both. It looks to me like the windows were not actually cracking themselves but we are seeing a view through windows into the opposing side of the nanoshields themselves cracking. The problem with that belief though is, from the front you never see any cracking effect so I guess it's plausable that bullet impacts have a different effect on the glass than it does the metallic like "skin" of the car.

Shields however don't tend to heal themselves, they are more of a barrier, they can however fluctuate intensities/frequencies.

I can also support this belief based upon the idea of the energy "ripple" effect which is consistant (but much better represented) with the blue ripples in the episode A Hard Day's Knight.

I wish this series had a Knight Rider Bible of its own so we could get an idea of what exactly the checks and balances of KITT's abilities are. One constant problem I have with the series as a whole is it creates more vague questions than it gives answers.

With the original series, you didn't have to get into a long technical explaination of how the Molecular Bonded Shell worked, it was pretty simplistic and the special/practical effects were used to support the idea of a coating or application that protected the car from damage by bullets or other impacts through obstructions.

I did find the ending rushed but I've come to expect the 5-10 minute episode climax wrap up. I was a bit confused when they escaped the bank because it went by so quickly it was kind of difficult to keep up with what everyone was saying. It was essentially a rapid fire sequence of everyone talking at once.

Mike turning down the money was a great testament to his character as a hero. Having the villainess tumble down the hill and what appeared to be breaking her neck was a bit over the top for me and seemed to do nothing to enhance the story...poetic justice I guess.

I think the male villain was strong and convincing. Great performances this time all around.

The funny thing I have with this show, I don't tend to remember the villain of the week's character names much probably because they really don't do anything all that memorable save for Christopher Stevens/Rick Hoffman in the two parter.

I also liked the HAL reference from 2001: A Space Odyssey and how KITT said he found the movie confusing.

One of the better episodes by far but given that this was originally a season finale, I expected as much detail to be invested in it. I think this time Gary Scott Thompson at least proved he can write a decent script (and direct it) without the need of relying on his Fast and the Furious roots.

Kudos this time to Gary for that. Despite the little things people may pick apart he worked hard on this episode and it shows.

The lack of KITT action didn't bother me much because when KITT was needed it served the purpose of the story rather than just ending up as another confusing eye candy sequence.

Next week's promo was infinately uninspiring and short, they could have done better and with a desperate need for higher ratings they still need to do better in order to earn a second season yet.

=VK=
:dash:

GoZO
Volunteer

Post by GoZO » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:39 am

old.. sorry

neps
Site Administrator
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by neps » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:53 am

It always takes me a few viewings before I appreciate an episode or not, but I did think positively on this episode. I enjoy the new direction the show is taking. I appreciated that this wasn't a mission but rather wrong place/wrong time kind of thing.

This episode felt similar in pacing to Gary's first episode of the season, where it was non stop from beginning to end. I liked KITT bashing through objects at the end, driving himself to help the others. The end scene also felt very TOS, where they all recap in front of KITT. The only thing I missed was more people reacting to the car as it drove by itself, just a throw away line would have been fun.

The kid was adorable. It reminded me when we saw a rough cut of the turbo boost for episode 2 - the kid in the car originally said "SWEET" as KITT flew over him, something that I realize now would have maybe helped that episode feel more like Knight Rider.

There was also some really nice transitions between scenes - using the gimbal to crop out a transition and having KITT drive by as a wipe.

Remember that this episode was an unintentional season finale. They were in the midst of filming 17 when the news became available that 17 would be the final episode. So in fairness, 17 wasn't conceived as a stopping point. However, the original 13 episode was. That has now been moved to airing last in the 17 episode order and hopefully will fit better as a season finale. They at least got time to restructure as such where as other shows that were cut short (like Pushing Daises) did not.

KRFANATIC
Stranger

Post by KRFANATIC » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:11 am

I'm not sure what everyone is thinking. This was the dumbest episode ever. I can't believe this was originally #17!
It will be no wonder this show doesn't get picked up for a 2nd season. First, a 5 minute battle with KARR and now this. The end was so stupid with everyone from FLAG there with the girl and parents?? I am such a huge fan of the original series and was so excited the new version was picked up. There are such weak plots and the acting is horrible. Not to mention there were no special effects with KITT much either. There is no marketing for the show either and the scenes for next weeks episode were like 5 seconds. I will be very surprised to see season 2.

_K3000_
Operative

Post by _K3000_ » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:18 am

all i can say about this this episode is pure awesomeness. We are finally getting back to tos plots and everything loved verything about this episode. good job KR cast & Crew! :good:
"We Can Make A Difference" Help Support The Show

Faithful Car KRO
FLAG Recruit

Post by Faithful Car KRO » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:19 am

neps wrote: Remember that this episode was an unintentional season finale. They were in the midst of filming 17 when the news became available that 17 would be the final episode. So in fairness, 17 wasn't conceived as a stopping point. However, the original 13 episode was. That has now been moved to airing last in the 17 episode order and hopefully will fit better as a season finale. They at least got time to restructure as such where as other shows that were cut short (like Pushing Daises) did not.
So I love the Knight Life was filmed as the season finale? Was that before or after they got word of the initial of back 4?
"Michael, I agree with your earlier assessment, back-up plans suck."- KI3T
Put the word out!
WATCH THE SHOW!!!: Wed at 8:00pm on NBC.
Its getting better and gaining ratings, AWESOME!!

arhskr81
Rookie

Post by arhskr81 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:37 am

The endding with maddy and her parents was short but I remember one TOS episode were KITT was hit with a power surge and at the end of the show the kid was talking to KITT about homework and that was only about 2-3 MIN. long, but this was the best episode so far, I hope we get a second season.

the original KITT
Operative

Post by the original KITT » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:38 am

Erm... Yeah didn't really like this epiosode because of one thing, KI3T had to be told what to do all the time, like when that man got shot in the back and was lying on the floor, he knew that the swot team would not approach beacause of possible attack, he told sarah (dont know y) and then when she gave the command to go and give them cover he did. Y? he should have just gone on his own accord. Erm would have been better if there was atleast a car chase. There should also be atleast 1 turbo boost in every episode.

Good job NBC did change the schedule and that wasn't the last 1. Otherwise Knight rider would have gone out with an almighty crash. :(

But majority of u did like it :? i think, so that what counts. But in ma opinion it wasn't my cup of tea. (i prefere hardcore action :) )
Last edited by the original KITT on Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael:“KITT I NEED YAH!”
Kitt:“ON MY WAY MICHAEL!”

K.A.C.I.
Operative

Post by K.A.C.I. » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:41 am

I LOVED this episode. I thought it was a pretty great episode, despite having a bit of a problem with the pacing - it felt like it ran slow and then went into fast-forward at the end.
Other than that, and the thing vaguely reminding me of similar situations in two of my favorite movies, and KITT's snappy comeback at Mike early in the episode, I was a bit confused at the sheer randomness of the kid, but she's just so cute and precocious that it works out well anyway.
Knight Autonomous Cyber-Automotive Interceptor

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:42 am

Faithful Car KRO wrote:
neps wrote: Remember that this episode was an unintentional season finale. They were in the midst of filming 17 when the news became available that 17 would be the final episode. So in fairness, 17 wasn't conceived as a stopping point. However, the original 13 episode was. That has now been moved to airing last in the 17 episode order and hopefully will fit better as a season finale. They at least got time to restructure as such where as other shows that were cut short (like Pushing Daises) did not.
So I love the Knight Life was filmed as the season finale? Was that before or after they got word of the initial of back 4?
I love the Knight life was episode 13 and began the next stage of KR after Graiman, Torres, etc. exited. This episode has now been moved to the last episode of the season instead of being aired as episode 13, in other words it should have been shown last night but its been moved and will air as the last episode of the season.

The episode we saw last night was the last episode shot in production order and it was during the shooting of that episode that word was given by NBC that it would be the last episode being produced.

So now the season will end with the attempted resurrection of FLAG which is a plot point of episode 13, I love the Knight life.
Last edited by Mr.Marcus on Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Knight316
Operative

Post by Knight316 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:43 am

I agree with the consensus here, this was an awesome episode! Did anyone else notice that they had a version of the theme song playing when KITT was dropping off Maddie and the wounded officer to the hospital. I thought that was a real nice touch to TOS where they did that all the time.

Tony P Knight Driver
Operative

Post by Tony P Knight Driver » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:01 am

Well all in all I though this episode was good.

I liked the interaction with Maggie and KITT, reminded me of the episode where Micheal kills a biker inself defense and is charged with murder. Then he has to help the witness get her kid back before she will testify."short notice"?

KITT Driving himself was good. Somehow I think the need to lighten the windows and go back to the remote controled stunt car idea. That worked great in the telemovie.

I agree with the line of "your gonna hit me when I tell you" was funny, that was actually pretty good!

My only real disapointment was the end. With everyone standing around KITT, Maggie and her parents.. Just seemed to hurried and after all the action in the show, a little bit anticlimactic.

Has anyone else notice the lack of transformations and that normal mode KITT is doing more of his own stunts?
I like that.

I give this episode an 8 out of 10.

Way to go Knight Rider Cast & Crew, GST and NBC - Keep up the good work!!
Tony P.
The Knight Driver
Keep Knight Rider Rolling
One Person Can Make a Difference.
SUPPORT KNIGHT RIDER!
http://www.gopetition.com/online/23816.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:37 am

jshorva65 wrote: Remember-tech , Superman could fly whether he wore the Superman costume or the street clothes of his Clark Kent identity. Clark Kent flying while wearing business attire would have defeated the whole purpose of a secret identity.

Clark has flown without being in his Superman disguise (Superman has pretty much been the disguise for almost 25 years now after all) also. The thing is that his clothes typically aren't very wind resistant and yeah it's just "safer" to wear the suit and then change after landing but he doesn't always.. The secret identity is a public persona for him to use his powers while still maintaining a private life.

Anyway, to get on topic, this episode was better than last week's, I too still wish for the remote controlled car to make a come back. I also thought the ending was a little rushed but I guess that's something we might have to get use to. How did Sarah and everyone else suddenly get there? How much time passed? I still need to watch it again, distracted however to really get a feel for it.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Jay
Rookie

Post by Jay » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:44 am

That was an enjoyable episode, the opening sequence up to the coffee shop was great.

I think the ending was quite nice, but perhaps something was cut out of it?
"Alright Mr. KITT, let's burn some rubber!" Knight Song

KnightINSTINCT
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightINSTINCT » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:11 pm

I've seriously got to stop coming on here. Lots and lots of senseless nitpicking!

First time viewing any episode of Knight Rider this season and liking it right from the getgo, seems like a rarity for me. Okay, so the episodes I've liked right away are A Hard Days Knight, Knight Of The Hunter, Knight Fever, Don't Stop the Knight's two-parter, and Exit Light, Enter Knight. All these episodes have the best storylines and musical scoring. And getting back to the storylines, it's hard for our actors on the show to look bad when they have material to work with.

There was absolutely nothing to nitpick at all, whatsoever about this episode. I appreciated that KITT did leave his windows tinted for the sake OF NOT SHOCKING any civilians. Why people on here can't look beyond the production of the show and enjoy this from a viewer's perspective annoys me. This episode had humor in all the right places, and the story of the show wasn't rushed. I thought we had a pretty good deal with the way it ended...hey, time allotment used for the best stuff...reminds me on how they usually wrap up an episode of LAW AND ORDER. Which made me think right away as soon as I saw the ending: this show may just suit fine for sticking on the Wednesday time slot with the more serious crime show after all.

Okay, I read someone else also noticed the homage to the theme music was used during KITT's rush to the hospital. That was an awesome fit! And during the tunnel chase, I couldn't help but think that the composer did a damn good job on making the music sound almost like a good orchestra playing off the scene. TOS rarely did that beyond its season one, and I never understood that. Thought out pieces of music makes the show, and this episode really made a good impression on me.

NBC made the right call on turning this show around. And GST did a most outstanding job on directing this episode. I can't believe this episode was still him directing. His talents are definitely broader than I assumed of him. Gary, I hope now that you receive more appreciation after this episode :wink:

rizvi
Volunteer

Post by rizvi » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:24 pm

I would not write this show off just yet .. Last night's episode was simply marvelous and if they continue like this , the ratings will only increase .. If this show is a hit in Europe and all one has to do is look at how successful Baywatch was in the UK , then I think season 2 is guaranteed ...

It's not impossible in the UK for viewer numbers to be in the 5-10 million range ..

bige
Rookie

Post by bige » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:50 pm

The reason why KITT had tinted windows in this episode was because there were alot of cops around, and If they could see that no one was driveing the car KITT would be in trouble with the law, and KITT did not want to expose himself to t he police so that is why the tinted windows, that is how it was in the orginial if KITT did not want anyone to see him drive by his-self then he would darken the windows.

standgeo
Volunteer

Post by standgeo » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:13 pm

Really good ep. Reminds me of TOS. Passing by a place and trouble just finds them! Really good.
Only thing i didn't like was the ending. Really in hurry. I think they get better as episodes pass by.
I enjoyed very much that no transformations took place and Kitt driving and acting without MIke.
The begining was awesome. Mike sleeping and Kitt driving! Very much of TOS to that too. As well as Kitt's relationship with the little girl. We can now see that Kitt becomes more "human" in his reactions!
If they just put a little more driving action and car chase into the show it will be perfect!!
Good job everyone! Keep going!!!

bddotnet
Recruit

Post by bddotnet » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:30 pm

Still no update to the Knight Industries Research site, About page or Bios page. I wish NBC's webmaster would take more time in updating the site. It's not that hard!
Bobby Duncan
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
http://www.bobbyduncan.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Pardon my expression, but he does have a few screws loose!"

ssilipino
Volunteer

Post by ssilipino » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:12 pm

I really liked the episodes, had more of a feel of TOS and was kept the action up, kept my interest.

Do you guys think this is still meant to be the season finally, or will the old 13 (now 17) be it. I remember in an interview with Paul Campbell that he said the extra scene they filmed didn't have him tlaking much which could be the scene at the end in this episode or is it a completely different scene?

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:18 pm

jshorva65 wrote:Loved the Auto Cruise scenes, too! The tinted windows worked in that sequence, so I totally disagree with those who reacted negatively to the tinted glass. KI3T as a driverless car with clear windows would have stuck out like a sore thumb, revealing the secret of his being an ultra-high-tech supervehicle. Remember, Superman could fly whether he wore the Superman costume or the street clothes of his Clark Kent identity. Clark Kent flying while wearing business attire would have defeated the whole purpose of a secret identity.

Interesting point, but the problem is it would have been a good opportunity to show a few amazed civilians watching the car drive away by itself like the original series did. K.I.T.T. disguising himself while driving himself didn't seem to matter from a storyline perspective in the backdoor pilot. I don't give Gary Scott Thompson the benefit of the doubt with that one, meaning that the use of a tinted car was probably more for convenience than it was for the storyline.

And the point about K.I.T.T. sticking out like a sore thumb doesn't make much sense, since K.I.T.T. drove himself in front of the hostage to protect him and absorbed all the bullets on national television. It doesn't come across to me as if K.I.T.T. is really trying to disguise himself much as a high-tech supercar since he readily shows his functions whenever needed.
jshorva65 wrote:As I understood the demonstrations of the Auto Cruise version of KI3T that I've seen, the vehicle does in fact operate via radio control from a range of up to one mile. Perhaps there will be more Auto Cruise scenes displaying that capability more clearly in future episodes. The RC capability definitely surpasses the credibility that certain TOS scenes had, where the "backseat driver" seatback contraption was clearly visible as KI2T's door auto-opened. Am I the only one who noticed that?
That was the car used for production in the backdoor pilot only. Those cars were either all destroyed or auctioned off. In this new series, they're M.I.A. or else I'm convinced they certainly would have been exploited as much as possible by now, or once at the very least.
jshorva65 wrote:I originally thought that the vulnerability of Nanoskin repairs only being possible with KI3T's AI fully online was a too-obvious downgrade from the Molecular Bonded Shell of KI2T in TOS. On second thought, MBS material might have been incompatible with some of KI3T's most advanced features that only the Nanoskin technology supports. Perhaps the MBS was great for protecting the body panels and glass of KI2T, but had a narrower passband of light wavelengths than was needed to allow KI3T's solar power supply to achieve full efficiency. Perhaps the MBS needs serious re-formulation to even work properly as an undercoating (original formulation hindering Nanoskin performance significantly even when applied to inside surfaces) and takes Knight Industries until well into Season 2 or beyond to perfect a Nanoskin-compatible MBS.
The Molecular Bonded Shell and the nanoskin both have their plus and minuses. In short, one is better for protection while the other is better for camouflage, I think.

The people who loved this episode but are complaining about those of us who didn't shouldn't be bothered by it. Because from my perspective, the general feeling here is people are so desperate to watch a good quality episode of this series and love it that they may easily overlook shortcomings. Personally I don't go out of my way to nitpick things; I just call them as I see them. There were aspects about the episode I liked and aspects I didn't like, plain and simple. But I still maintain that I feel the episode is overrated, but that's not saying it's bad.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

LeslieGruffod
Rookie

Post by LeslieGruffod » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:51 pm

Excellent episode!

Thank you Gary Scott Thompson :good:

larmindy
Volunteer

Post by larmindy » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:14 pm

Okay this is a long overdue post, I have been lurking on this board for quite awhile. This episode forced me to register. :good:

Overall, this ep felt more like KR should. Little things here and there hinted at how the series should have been from the start. This will never be the same as TOS, simply due to the character dynamics. Mike and Sara are lovers, Billy and Zoe are a couple for the most part as well. The four of them will be a team, whereas TOS the team was Michael and KITT and a team of Devon and Bonnie etc. TOS had two teams IMO. This series is one team.
I look forward to more development in this series going forward. I dont get hung up on the tech details or how many times they do stunts on the show, TOS was not overloaded with them and if a nitpickers guide was ever created for the tech aspect the show wouldn't hold up anymore than this one.
This is escapist television; not NCIS, Law and Order, CSI or any of their offspring. Just sit back and enjoy the story with some nice eye candy (human and automotive), some jokes and some minor action sequences.
I hope NBC continues the series, but alot of the posts I see are giving me flashbacks to when Jericho was being canceled. NBC made the same mistakes as CBS did with that series and I feel we may be heading in the same direction.
Regardless, all of you love the KR so that is what counts here. Just try not to be too serious or pick it apart as much. Gonna head over to NBC and see what has been posted there.
:kitt2:

lunchmeat
FLAG Recruit

Post by lunchmeat » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:31 pm

To the person who mentioned why nobody notices KI3T's scanner....the villain in the two parter did. (I can never remember the episode names offhand.) Remember the line when KI3T drives up? "Oooh, nice mood lighting." I found that kind of humorous.

A lot of people are complaining about KI3T autodriving with tinted windows, so there weren't any reactions - come on, guys. That's a pretty small thing, and although we know the practical reasons for this, it can be explained in context with the plot (there's a kid in the driver's seat), so why worry about it? Yeah, we didn't get the amazed looks from onlookers, but the episode still worked really well. And who knows - perhaps this will be addressed in a future episode, with TV newsclips of KI3T stopping bullets or firing his laser (that's one thing I always wonder how people miss, but I guess it's a really quick zap). Who knows! It would be really funny to see Mike reading a tabloid about a supercar with alien technology or something, with a grainy picture of a black Mustang. I dunno.

But I digress. My point is, the tinted windows are a very small thing to complain about, and because this episode was pretty good, it becomes fairly pointless fan nitpicking. We know about the stunt cars and their limitations. Complaining about this is like complaining that in Star Trek, you don't see the people inside the ships or the shuttlecrafts in the flying scenes. I mean, really? Maybe we'll see clear windows in future episodes, who knows. For now, just sit back and enjoy Knight Rider.
If I am destroyed... ...so shall you be. -KARR

mattyb
Stranger

Post by mattyb » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:43 pm

just watched this episode

all i can say is wow :D ,just loved it

:kitt:
one man can make a difference!