Live Discussion - Exit Light, Enter Knight

Archive for discussions from 2010. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: Matthew, neps, Michael Pajaro

User avatar
CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:23 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: Live Discussion - Exit Light, Enter Knight

Post by CJaguar442 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:39 pm

Mr.Marcus wrote:I don't mind the "I'm a girl I am better than you" attitude on other shows. The henpecked husband and self righteous wife provides comedic entertainment on shows like Everybody Loves Raymond, According to Jim, Still Standing, Yes Dear, etc. etc. And the male/female angst works on a show like Smallville which is targeted to men and women 18-49. But when GST admits KR is made for guys, I don't want to see that stuff. I want to see fast driving, things blowing up, Michael womanizing and getting a new girl every episode all wrapped up in a good story. Its not too much to ask. I just hate how shows today, even those supposedly targeted at a male audience, have to have a girl who unrealistically beats up 3 guys or a girl who needs to outdo the guys on the show. It just makes my eyes roll.



Agreed X3
Re-elect Mayor Goldie wilson, Progress is his middle name!
Save the Clocktower!
Go Boston Red Sox! Go Boston Bruins! Go Boston Celtics!
Go the distance and he will come!

User avatar
Sue
KRO Field Correspondent
Posts: 1450
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:20 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: From NJ now in LA
Contact:

Re: Live Discussion - Exit Light, Enter Knight

Post by Sue » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:04 pm

CJaguar442 wrote:
Mr.Marcus wrote:I don't mind the "I'm a girl I am better than you" attitude on other shows. The henpecked husband and self righteous wife provides comedic entertainment on shows like Everybody Loves Raymond, According to Jim, Still Standing, Yes Dear, etc. etc. And the male/female angst works on a show like Smallville which is targeted to men and women 18-49. But when GST admits KR is made for guys, I don't want to see that stuff. I want to see fast driving, things blowing up, Michael womanizing and getting a new girl every episode all wrapped up in a good story. Its not too much to ask. I just hate how shows today, even those supposedly targeted at a male audience, have to have a girl who unrealistically beats up 3 guys or a girl who needs to outdo the guys on the show. It just makes my eyes roll.

Agreed X3

*rolls up sleeves* Okay, CJaguar and Mr. Marcus that's two, their gonna need one more guy to make this a fair fight. :mrgreen:
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

User avatar
Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 821
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Cyber Space
Contact:

Re: Live Discussion - Exit Light, Enter Knight

Post by Rockatteer » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:09 pm

Mr.Marcus wrote:I don't mind the "I'm a girl I am better than you" attitude on other shows. The henpecked husband and self righteous wife provides comedic entertainment on shows like Everybody Loves Raymond, According to Jim, Still Standing, Yes Dear, etc. etc. And the male/female angst works on a show like Smallville which is targeted to men and women 18-49. But when GST admits KR is made for guys, I don't want to see that stuff. I want to see fast driving, things blowing up, Michael womanizing and getting a new girl every episode all wrapped up in a good story. Its not too much to ask. I just hate how shows today, even those supposedly targeted at a male audience, have to have a girl who unrealistically beats up 3 guys or a girl who needs to outdo the guys on the show. It just makes my eyes roll.

Yep, I'd agree with that. It's just plan annoying.
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com

jshorva65
Recruit
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: Live Discussion - Exit Light, Enter Knight

Post by jshorva65 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:25 pm

Sue wrote:
CJaguar442 wrote:
Mr.Marcus wrote:I don't mind the "I'm a girl I am better than you" attitude on other shows. The henpecked husband and self righteous wife provides comedic entertainment on shows like Everybody Loves Raymond, According to Jim, Still Standing, Yes Dear, etc. etc. And the male/female angst works on a show like Smallville which is targeted to men and women 18-49. But when GST admits KR is made for guys, I don't want to see that stuff. I want to see fast driving, things blowing up, Michael womanizing and getting a new girl every episode all wrapped up in a good story. Its not too much to ask. I just hate how shows today, even those supposedly targeted at a male audience, have to have a girl who unrealistically beats up 3 guys or a girl who needs to outdo the guys on the show. It just makes my eyes roll.

Agreed X3

*rolls up sleeves* Okay, CJaguar and Mr. Marcus that's two, their gonna need one more guy to make this a fair fight. :mrgreen:

Very funny ...

Seriously, the "female supremacist" crap does get old after a while. It's long past time for the sexes to stop "battling" and start learning about teamwork.

To all the "radical feminist" types, I bet no one ever told you that women were actually given preference over men for high-skill, high-wage manufacturing jobs back in the 1930's-1960's when America still had a Consumer Electronics Industry. Don't believe me? I have a photo of the Capehart television factory's assembly line in Capehart, Idiana circa 1950. The assembly crew was ALL female! So much for "glass ceilings" and "discrimination" propaganda. I actually work in Historic Preservation of Vintage Electronics, and sets which were built by all-female assembly crews are much easier to maintain due to greater attention to detail in the routing of internal wiring.

Why did Zoey seem to have no problem cuddling up with Billy on that couch? Maybe she's secretly drawn to him, sees him as an intellectual equal, and is in denial of having a deep respect (among other feelings) for him? The denial part would be why she feels compelled to insult him at every opportunity. Very juvenile. KITT nailed it when he told her she should "see a professional" about her issues.

User avatar
Knight007
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 975
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:58 am

Re: Live Discussion - Exit Light, Enter Knight

Post by Knight007 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:05 am

I liked this episod. It got every thing we were asking for, I think.
KITT driving it self, funny things, Michel and KITT alone. I think we are going in the write direction, hope we keep moving :kitt: :karr:

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 657
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:17 pm

Re: Live Discussion - Exit Light, Enter Knight

Post by pheonix_knight » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:23 pm

that episode woulda been a hell of an anticlimax to a season if it had been shown as in the order it was filmed...

especially after the KARR episode, which would have been almost 'mid season'...

A good episode for ep13 though...

I wonder how the season might have ended if we only had 13 episodes though...

I'm up for a 2nd season though...

America needs to watch this!!!

User avatar
Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 821
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Cyber Space
Contact:

Re: Live Discussion - Exit Light, Enter Knight

Post by Rockatteer » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:02 pm

I tried to watch this episode again last night. And as much as I'm trying to stay positive, there's one thing which actually annoyed me so much I stopped watching.

The whole beginning of the episode when the bank robbers arrived was so not knight rider. Why wasn't Kitt in the middle of all that action instead of sitting back calling 911.... what that hell kind of pathetic writing is that!!??

We have a show about a nearly indestructible AI's super car and all we get is the damn thing calling 911!! Give me a freaking break!

Kitt should have smashed into that SUV as the robbers arrived, or screamed up to the bank so that women could get in, fired lasers.. anything, but he should have been int he middle of that action taking hits, self-repearing, showing us what the car is capable of.

I was hoping this would be something the reboot would give us. Unfortunately it still seems like the producers writers etc either really don't understand the knight rider formula or just don't care about it. Maybe, in true Hollywood fashion, they are arrogant enough to think they know better.. now there's a formula proven to fail time and time again in the last few years.

In any case I'm, really disappointed and frustrated as hell that they are still getting this wrong.
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com

User avatar
weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)
Posts: 1346
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:43 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Weeezlville
Contact:

Re: Live Discussion - Exit Light, Enter Knight

Post by weeezl » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:15 pm

oooh.....some very sexist comments being made here I see......

Well FYI I actually dated a girl who probably could of kicked three guys ass's at once hence why I called it off via text message..... :D

lup1n
Stranger
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:45 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Contact:

Re: Live Discussion - Exit Light, Enter Knight

Post by lup1n » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:14 pm

Rockatteer wrote:Kitt should have smashed into that SUV as the robbers arrived, or screamed up to the bank so that women could get in, fired lasers.. anything, but he should have been int he middle of that action taking hits, self-repearing, showing us what the car is capable of.

The show will be over in 20 minutes...
I am very disagree with your opinion.
There is no romantic and sentimental reason of doing that.
Only show the muscles.
Then the title will be Muscles Knight... Not cool at all... :(
This is KITT, not KARR.. This is a ride, not a monster.

User avatar
Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 821
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Cyber Space
Contact:

Re: Live Discussion - Exit Light, Enter Knight

Post by Rockatteer » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:32 pm

lup1n wrote:The show will be over in 20 minutes...
I am very disagree with your opinion.
There is no romantic and sentimental reason of doing that.
Only show the muscles.
Then the title will be Muscles Knight... Not cool at all... :(
This is KITT, not KARR.. This is a ride, not a monster.

Interesting perspective, although somewhat misguided in relation to what many of us expect, based on the original ideas of what Knight Rider is about.
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com

User avatar
snafu
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:29 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: in a lab somewhere.

Re: Live Discussion - Exit Light, Enter Knight

Post by snafu » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:00 am

I don't think that the show is miltiant feminist or whatever, I just think Zoe is irritating. :D

There IS a glass ceiling in workplaces today, and there is a different set of expectations for how a woman should act. If you don't believe me, PM me (might be a while before I get on this forum again!) and I'll dig up plenty of machismo fodder for the curious. Or possibly I just live and work in an area laden with nimrods.

That said- Zoe is irritating, and back when she mentioned the HR department (that likely doesn't exist anymore) most of the stuff that *she* was doing to Billy would get her dragged to HR herself.
Aaaand I think the women on aforementioned other shows are irritating. Chicks can be cool without pushing the envelope or turning into obnoxious gnats.

*back to the episode*
I thought it was really cool. The parts with the little girl made me think of TOS, actually got a smile out of me. But why wasn't I hearing me some "Enter Sandman" on the soundtrack, with that title?!? Oh, that means they'd have to put some real music from a real band on the show. Pardon me.
Heaven, where all QC only has to be run once.

kwsta25
Rookie
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:08 pm

Re: Live Discussion - Exit Light, Enter Knight

Post by kwsta25 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:23 am

last weeks episode was amazing,we need to get ppl to watch wed or ur not gona have a knightrider to argue about. awful was kitt transforming into a pick up. so yes they did get it right with the reboot. WE NEED TO FOCUS ON RATINGS

User avatar
Lynda414
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 628
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:32 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: NYC

Re: Live Discussion - Exit Light, Enter Knight

Post by Lynda414 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:32 am

SD_Chick wrote:I don't think that the show is miltiant feminist or whatever, I just think Zoe is irritating. :D

There IS a glass ceiling in workplaces today, and there is a different set of expectations for how a woman should act. If you don't believe me, PM me (might be a while before I get on this forum again!) and I'll dig up plenty of machismo fodder for the curious. Or possibly I just live and work in an area laden with nimrods.

That said- Zoe is irritating, and back when she mentioned the HR department (that likely doesn't exist anymore) most of the stuff that *she* was doing to Billy would get her dragged to HR herself.
Aaaand I think the women on aforementioned other shows are irritating. Chicks can be cool without pushing the envelope or turning into obnoxious gnats.

*back to the episode*
I thought it was really cool. The parts with the little girl made me think of TOS, actually got a smile out of me. But why wasn't I hearing me some "Enter Sandman" on the soundtrack, with that title?!? Oh, that means they'd have to put some real music from a real band on the show. Pardon me.


Yeah, I agree with all that. Zoe's just irritating. And Sarah has her moments too.

User avatar
Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 821
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Cyber Space
Contact:

Re: Live Discussion - Exit Light, Enter Knight

Post by Rockatteer » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:59 am

I'd rather have Zoe on the show than Sarah.

Zoe' s a happier, friendlier person IMO. Sarah bugs me way to much with attitude and seems more moody.

And the big plus is Zoe's smile. Her whole face lights up like a kid on Christmas morning. It's great. :D
smith-cho.jpg
smith-cho.jpg (23.47 KiB) Viewed 12892 times
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com

User avatar
Lynda414
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 628
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:32 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: NYC

Re: Live Discussion - Exit Light, Enter Knight

Post by Lynda414 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:47 am

They should give her better lines. KITT too.

User avatar
cloudkitt
FLAG Operative
Posts: 1125
Joined: Sun May 18, 2003 11:34 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Contact:

Re: Live Discussion - Exit Light, Enter Knight

Post by cloudkitt » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:17 am

Yeah, especially if Zoe's gonna be the mechanic now, they should just have just killed Sarah and made it Charles, Mike, Billy and Zoe. (I'm basing that off they fact that Zoe repaired KITT's nanomachines in the KARR episode and Sarah hasn't done...well anything but get into bar fights to show how "modern" the show is.)

(And since I feel I need to, I don't really have a huge problem with any of the actors, merely going by characters)
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 310
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:13 am

Re: Live Discussion - Exit Light, Enter Knight

Post by Mr.Marcus » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:53 am

Zoe is the RC3 of this franchise. I don't mind having another character on the show per se as long as they have a real reason to be there. As it stands she's just there to crack jokes, act like an airhead, and be annoying. If they give her something to do I can live with Zoe, Sarah, Billy doing all the FLAG stuff while Michael and KITT are in field.

User avatar
CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:23 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: Live Discussion - Exit Light, Enter Knight

Post by CJaguar442 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:15 am

RC3 and Zoe are not comparable. She is far worse in my opinion. RC3 is equal to Billy helps out and adds comic relief when needed. ZOE is an extra unnecessary character. Annoying airhead barely describes her. Valley girl is much better lol I see them much more every day just issues galore.
Re-elect Mayor Goldie wilson, Progress is his middle name!
Save the Clocktower!
Go Boston Red Sox! Go Boston Bruins! Go Boston Celtics!
Go the distance and he will come!

User avatar
Lynda414
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 628
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:32 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: NYC

Re: Live Discussion - Exit Light, Enter Knight

Post by Lynda414 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:20 am

But she COULD be a good character. For some reason the writers give her all these bad lines. I think Smith Cho could do better, really. Then again, if they gave KITT better lines too, then the show would just be awesome.

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 310
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:13 am

Re: Live Discussion - Exit Light, Enter Knight

Post by Mr.Marcus » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:33 am

My point is Zoe and RC3 are characters that don't need to be there. I wouldn't compare RC3 to Billy. In a lot of ways Billy needs to be there b/c he's the computer expert and with Sarah now seemingly running FLAG, Billy has to be the de facto mechanic to KITT. Sorry I mean cybernetic technician to KITT. RC3 much like Zoe was just there to serve as nothing more than another face of the team. Zoe acts like an airhead, RC3 hops on his motorbike and goes after Michael and KITT. They both contribute nothing to the series.

User avatar
NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed May 19, 2004 2:36 pm

Re: Live Discussion - Exit Light, Enter Knight

Post by NeoRanger » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:46 am

The dynamic duo is there to appeal to the younger (read: teenage) audience. Billy's funny in a juvenile and nerdy way, Zoe's hot. That's why they're there. We'd all be happier if they had some characterization (especially Zoe, since Billy does get some of it every now and then), but they aren't really going anywhere no matter how useless they are from a dramatical standpoint.

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 310
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:13 am

Re: Live Discussion - Exit Light, Enter Knight

Post by Mr.Marcus » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:50 am

I agree. But its sad that in order to appeal to the younger demo they need to portray the dude as sexually repressed, socially awkward and scared of women and the girl as horny, an airhead, and domineering at times.

User avatar
Samuel Walters
Stranger
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:46 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: The Empire State
Contact:

Re: Live Discussion - Exit Light, Enter Knight

Post by Samuel Walters » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:58 pm

^ Yeah, but that was his exact same character on BSG. Instead of the Billy-Zoe dynamic, the series needs to worry more about the KITT-Michael-Sarah characters. If the series is going to ultimately succeed, it will be because KITT becomes a thoroughly compelling character unto himself -- and it is through his relationship with Michael and Sarah that his character will be best portrayed and revealed.

That's what I liked best about this episode. Instead of juvenile pandering, it was a solid plot that allowed KITT and Michael to demonstrate their interdependence.
Reviews & Analysis of Modern Media:
http://dauntlessmedia.net/

User avatar
Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 821
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Cyber Space
Contact:

Re: Live Discussion - Exit Light, Enter Knight

Post by Rockatteer » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:33 pm

Actually I just saw a post in another thread which hit the KR formular on the head.

Knight Rider is a carry on from the original Cowboy/western shows with the Hero and his horse, saves the day and rides off into the sunset.

We saw many nods towards that in TOS, driving into the sun set etc and I think that this new version has to first understand that (and god knows the production team don't seem to understand very much about knight rider) and secondly they need to embrace the idea that this show had to be about the loner who saves the day with his trusty car and drives off into the sun set.

This episode was a step in the right direction thats for sure. Now lets hope they keep steeping in that direction. ;)
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com

User avatar
KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 445
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:16 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Chandler az

Re: Live Discussion - Exit Light, Enter Knight

Post by KRAvengerII » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:09 pm

Well, THAT explains why KI3T was watching the western movies in the second episode! :!:
KITT: I walked right into that one, didn't I?
Michael: More like Turbo Boosted.

Locked