Screenshots : FLAG Mobile Unit aka the Semi

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Screenshots : FLAG Mobile Unit aka the Semi

Post by imranbecks » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:06 am

I've noticed that there aren't many pictures going around of the FLAG semi... We all keep focusing on KITT, that we forgot how impressive this 18-wheeler actually look..... I've taken some screenshots of the semi in all its glory.. Do post some more different pics of the semi if you all have any..... For now, enjoy!

lofer
Rookie

Post by lofer » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:14 am

Really good photos...
http://www.elcochefantastico.net

... un hombre que no existe en un mundo lleno de peligros ...

AusKnight2K
Operative

Re: Screenshots : FLAG Mobile Unit aka the Semi

Post by AusKnight2K » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:26 am

imranbecks wrote:I've noticed that there aren't many pictures going around of the FLAG semi... We all keep focusing on KITT, that we forgot how impressive this 18-wheeler actually look.....
That it so true, you know I never really thought about it until now :)

Some great pictures you've captured there ...

Does anyone know what brand of truck it is (Kenworth?) and I wonder if FLAG ever coated it with the MBS (a la Goliath) :?:
:kittspin:

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:54 am

Thanks guys.. Glad I could share it with all of you.. Its a real beauty I must say..

The truck they used in the show was a GMC truck. As for the MBS, I don't think it has MBS as I remember in the episode KITT vs KARR, KARR turbo boosted into the ramp to gain entry into the semi... Thus damaging the trailer.. Don't think MBS is present at all..

The pics below clearly shows it is a GMC truck.. >>>

James_kr
FLAG Assistant

Post by James_kr » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:43 am

Was the semi always a GMC, I thought it might have changed. The bit behind the drivers cabin is new from season 3 sometime. I don't know where it came from or what its for but I remember in Season 3 in "Ten Wheel Trouble" the girl was hiding in it and came out into the cabin when they were at war with other trucks. I think the semi had a little bit of modification done to it such as the ramp the inside and the suspension so the back doesn't wobble around. Was the ramp part of the back doors because I remember in KVK they were taking the doors off the back but the ramp wasn't there.
Imranbecks probably has a pic.
K.I.T.T: "Dog go away"

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:12 am

Hmmm.. From what I know.. The truck was always the same, meaning it was always a GMC.. The only difference was that in seasons 3 and 4, the truck was retrofitted with the extra cabin at the back...

Anyways, I will try to get some shots of the semi from the KvK episode regarding the ramp & back doors..

This was how it looked in the later episodes of seasons 1 & will stay the entire of season 2. Compare it with the pics that I previously posted of the semi in seasons 3 & 4. >>>

andy-kitt
FLAG Assistant

Post by andy-kitt » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:25 am

Having made a few models of these (currently working on one now) I have paid a great deal of attention to these.

It has always been a black GMC General, First was just a plain cab, then the sleeper was added later on (can't remember when) then at the end the sleeper has the higher roof line as in the pictures above.

The trailer has also has a few changes, in the first episodes it is a plain white trailer, then it gets painted black with gold stripes (without the kick up after the rear wheels). later on the striping changes to kick up after the rear wheels (as seen above).
The inside also gets a revamp with it changing from all silver inside, to being better furnished with carpet & tan wall coverings.

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative

Post by Joe Huth » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:24 am

Concerning the exterior of the semi, there were 5 variations.

Variation 1: Gold with black trim, says KNIGHT INDUSTRIES on the side. Used only in the Pilot:

Variation 2: Black cab, white trailer. Used from "Deadly Maneuvers" to "The Final Verdict":

Variation 3: Black cab, black trailer with gold trim. Trim lines are straight and the Knight symbol is smaller. Used only in "Hearts of Stone" and "Give Me Liberty...or Give Me Death":

Variation 4: Black cab, black trailer with gold trim. Trim lines bend and the Knight symbol is larger. Used from "The Topaz Connection" through the end of the second season:

Variation 5: Black cab, black trailer with the extended cab and gold trim. Used from "Knight of the Drones" through the end of the series:

Joe

andy-kitt
FLAG Assistant

Post by andy-kitt » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:48 pm

Oh yeah, I didn't notice the black semi in the pilot, so why did they use a white trailer ??

Thats a great showcase Joe

Thanks for that.

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative

Post by Joe Huth » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:26 pm

I completely forgot to ask Glen Larson about why they repainted the semi trailer from what was in the pilot to a white trailer when I talked to him in 2002. Oh well, I'll ask him if I ever get the chance again!

Joe

James_kr
FLAG Assistant

Post by James_kr » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:13 pm

I never noticed the pilot semi!

The truck that takes KITT away in JYD has the same Knight symbol as on that truck.

Do you think that is a different trailer in the pilot than the other ones. Because I don't think the would have repainted the whole thing white.

Also you see the plane painted with black and gold, when it takes off its a different learjet.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:23 pm

I noticed that the tow truck in the first one where KITT got towed, is black with a gold KNIGHT symbol.

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:36 pm

Out of all those changes the semi has gone through.. I think my favourite look has got to be the one it finally settled down with from seasons 3 to 4... It looks much more complete with the extended cab don't you think..

On a side note, I just ordered the FLAG semi model kit from Japan... Its about time I get it.. :wink: It was always out of stock then.. >>> http://www.hlj.com/product/AOS30660

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:49 am

I SO want that model kit! But I don't have the $$ right now. :(

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:06 pm

Um a word on accuracy on the model kit. The extended cab section is not as big as shown on the box or in the prototype pictures:

http://www.turboboost.netfirms.com/krtruckmodel.htm

Pics from my site when I built the truck years ago.

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

andy-kitt
FLAG Assistant

Post by andy-kitt » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:48 pm

I don't like that truck, its not realistic enough for me.

The cab isn't a GMC and the trailer is just a standard container trailer and not a low loader like the semi, a bit disappointing for a official model

cars1106
Volunteer

Post by cars1106 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:50 pm

did the car really drive n the back of the semi while it was in motion

and was it all tricked out inside to???
Ceasar

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:58 pm

sarfraz wrote:Um a word on accuracy on the model kit. The extended cab section is not as big as shown on the box or in the prototype pictures:

http://www.turboboost.netfirms.com/krtruckmodel.htm

Pics from my site when I built the truck years ago.

Sarfraz
Yup... Thanks Sarfraz.... I knew abt the cab section already when I visited your site back in 2004 to look at the 1/43 KITT & KARR... Its a mystery isn't it why Aoshima did the cab section differently from the one on its packaging....hmmm..

Anyways Sarfraz, I have a few queries abt the model since you already have it, do we have to paint the gold lines and the FLAG insignia on the trailer ourselves or are those decals that comes with the model that can later be pasted? And I heard from my friend that the entire model is already cast in black.... So is painting necessary?

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:30 pm

Its decals and the entire model is cast in black plastic but its not shiny. To get a decent looking semi you will need to atleast paint the cab and trailer box. Not so sure about the chassis as its meant to be matt black, which is close to the plastic finish anyway.

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative

Post by Joe Huth » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:05 pm

James_kr:

To answer your question earlier in the thread, the back door of the semi was the ramp. Here's a good pic of it:

Joe

James_kr
FLAG Assistant

Post by James_kr » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:36 pm

That's a great pic. Thanks! Its strange in KVK how they are pulling off each of the doors.

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:53 pm

Sarfraz - Thanks for that info abt the Semi model kit.... So the gold trimmings and the FLAG insignia for the trailer are decals then.. But from the pics i posted earlier in this thread, it is clear that the truck itself has gold trimmings too... Maybe I will paint the truck with the gold trimmings just like in the pic below..

As for the ramp and door debate, hmmm... Yes.. From the pic Joe posted, it is obviously a disquise.. Looks like a door from the out side complete with hinges but in actual fact, it is a ramp... Thats really cool..

Below is a pic of the scene James_kr is talking abt from the episode KvK..

J-Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by J-Knight » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:27 am

James_kr wrote:
Do you think that is a different trailer in the pilot than the other ones. Because I don't think the would have repainted the whole thing white.
Them using a different trailer and keeping the same cab would explain why the S1 semi is neither all white or all black, but black cab(used in the pilot) and white trailer.
Devon-"Shall we drink to the start of.."
Michael-"Of what?"
Devon-"One mans Dream"

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative

Post by Joe Huth » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:55 am

My theory on the door -

The folks at FLAG took a regular semi and welded the rear doors shut and turned it into a ramp. When KARR turbo boosted through the middle of it, it broke the weld and "re-seperated" the doors. Who knows!

Joe

kitt34
FLAG Recruit

Post by kitt34 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:27 pm

imranbecks wrote:Thanks guys.. Glad I could share it with all of you.. Its a real beauty I must say..

The truck they used in the show was a GMC truck. As for the MBS, I don't think it has MBS as I remember in the episode KITT vs KARR, KARR turbo boosted into the ramp to gain entry into the semi... Thus damaging the trailer.. Don't think MBS is present at all..

The pics below clearly shows it is a GMC truck.. >>>

Nice truck.