Been thinking about KR08 Lately and....

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Been thinking about KR08 Lately and....

Post by JJSoCrazy » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:03 pm

Well like I said, I have been thinking about how Knight Rider returned, and I can still feel that emotional connection returning again that I have had waiting for the show to come and I am still upset of what happened. Unfortunately they have made it a Transformers wannabe show because GST thought that was the wise route to take, and unfortunately the last few episodes catched the essence of what made the original show "a man and his car making a difference".

I honestly wish that the original producers (David Andron, etc) took the show into their own vision because after watching the pilot, that is what I wanted to see! NOSTALGIA! I can't believe that they didn't mention The Foundation and re-bring it as the central command center or even bring Devon Miles into the picture, nothing whatsoever! I would have loved to see or even get an idea of what the original producers would have done for the show, who knows maybe it would of lasted.

All we can hope for now is to wait for the feature film from Glen A. Larson.

The only chance I see is if they bring back KR08 into a made for tv movie again and maybe DH will return again as MK and have that 2 hour special of what we wanted in the series that GST tried promising to us at Comic Con along with KI2T. Anyone agree? I would love to start a petition and get out voices heard for those that want to see something like that, like a sequel to the pilot even. Bring KI2T back from Graiman's garage, DH revives him, maybe MK Jr. is kidnapped from some old foe of MK Sr. who wants him for ransom to get to his father, I mean it has some potential.

Anyone agree, please let me know your opinions! I feel that I have been quite for too long and I think there are others out there who would agree with me.

Thanks,

Joe

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant

Re: Been thinking about KR08 Lately and....

Post by tamatt27 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:58 pm

I completely agree. Dave Andron had a vision for the KR08 universe and it's a shame he couldn't see it through.
KNIGHT RIDER RELOADED is a series of movies on Youtube to represent a different creative avenue to the Knight Rider we knew in 2008-09.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tamatt27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

honnziva
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by honnziva » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:22 pm

I agree, and I disagree. I agree on the final bit of the arc from season 1, it seemed like they could be hitting a stride, but still, the show was campy, people are used to the Dark Knight now, not Adam West as Batman... What they did was Give us an Adam West verison of our show, now, we all love the Adam West Batman, because it was from our youth, we grew up with it.. we were kids with the expectations of kids. alot of POW. BAM, WHAP! so, take that into consideration... Imagine if you went into the Dark Knight and everytime Christian Bale hit a bad guy, one of those cartoony icon's popped up on the screen!

That is what 08 was. alot of flash, flashy car, flashy gadgets, flashy females. But no substance, It could have been a really good updated Buddy show... Not law and order, but not what they made it. Burn notice, White Collar, and NCIS are examples of how this is easily pulled off...

I really don't think we should see another incarnation of Knight Rider until the movie.. if and when it happens. unless its ten years down the road... The one thing i would be upset about is that I do think Justin Bruening was a great Michael Knight, that could have succeeded in the role, given the proper material
"To our future. No matter who it may take us up against or where"

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant

Post by tamatt27 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:40 pm

honnziva wrote:I agree, and I disagree. I agree on the final bit of the arc from season 1, it seemed like they could be hitting a stride, but still, the show was campy, people are used to the Dark Knight now, not Adam West as Batman... What they did was Give us an Adam West verison of our show, now, we all love the Adam West Batman, because it was from our youth, we grew up with it.. we were kids with the expectations of kids. alot of POW. BAM, WHAP! so, take that into consideration... Imagine if you went into the Dark Knight and everytime Christian Bale hit a bad guy, one of those cartoony icon's popped up on the screen!

That is what 08 was. alot of flash, flashy car, flashy gadgets, flashy females. But no substance, It could have been a really good updated Buddy show... Not law and order, but not what they made it. Burn notice, White Collar, and NCIS are examples of how this is easily pulled off...

I really don't think we should see another incarnation of Knight Rider until the movie.. if and when it happens. unless its ten years down the road... The one thing i would be upset about is that I do think Justin Bruening was a great Michael Knight, that could have succeeded in the role, given the proper material
Wow you summed it up very nicely! I have been putting together, in my head at the moment, an angle for how KR08 should have gone for a possible Youtube Web-isode series.
NCIS is a very well put-together show that rehashes the same material from previous seasons. It doesn't matter much, though, because the show is so good due to the dynamic of the cast.
KITT is a cast member, not Trigger or the Batmobile.
KNIGHT RIDER RELOADED is a series of movies on Youtube to represent a different creative avenue to the Knight Rider we knew in 2008-09.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tamatt27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:45 am

The only chance I see is if they bring back KR08 into a made for tv movie again and maybe DH will return again as MK and have that 2 hour special of what we wanted in the series that GST tried promising to us at Comic Con along with KI2T. Anyone agree?
Yes, I agree. In fact I've been saying that ever since the new show was introduced. Although, I don't think this was an Adam West "imitation". I keep saying this over and over but you can't make a show like this with young and unexperienced actors who don't know how to deliver their lines properly. It's like recasting Magnum P.I. (originally played by Tom Selleck) or MacGyver (originally played by Richard Dean Anderson), it just doesn't work that way. It is not the same thing without those characters. You'd be a lot better off with an entirely different show or concept inspired by those characters (still a quite small chance of it being a success IMO). That's why new ideas are most likely to pay off instead of using someone else's creation to make something new.
Everyone keeps saying that DH is old and bla, bla, bla... but he doesn't have play volley ball half naked with people one third of his age. This is about fighting crime and one man making a difference, should age even matter? Jesus, you can't save the world in your mid 50's with a high tech super car and a freakin' lifetime experience in fighting crime? Did you even give him a chance? Did you establish a connection to TOS, explaining what happened to all other characters and the foundation? No...
Michael: Kitt what matters to me is who you are not what you look like. Sure we don't have the car so we can't turbo boost so we can't go over 200 miles an hour but it was all icing on the cake anyway

Harry Singh Jr.
Operative

Post by Harry Singh Jr. » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:17 pm

I like how you think Joe:) That would make an awesome movie.

adamtrek
Recruit

Post by adamtrek » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:31 pm

The Hoff has always said he played it straight as if he was never in on the joke of a talking car that could do all of those fantastic things. The new KR didn't do it that way from the start. The entire show was campy. Even one of the heavy/baddies in the two parter during the season was cracking jokes (the Speed rip-off episodes).

That was my only complaint. 24 plays it extremely straight, as does Lost, Heroes, even Smallville for all of the absurdity of the situations. All fantasy shows do, really, and in the end a talking car with AI isn't that far off, so it should have been played straight, with some fun written in due to situations, not because of the premise. Billy and Zoe didn't really help. They didn't ground it. It's too bad that with the better second half, Charles didn't stick around. That would have enhanced the original formula that they were going back to. It should have been only Mike, Charles, Sarah, and perhaps Billy alone as the computer tech, playing it more like Chloe on 24, geeky, but not childish. Billy and Zoe did grow on me during the show, but only so much.
Watching KITT turbo boost since 1982.

ianruk
Rookie

Post by ianruk » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:53 pm

you all make good points but the real reason why i think knight rider failed was because of people like us who remember this from our childhood will always compare anything that we loved as a kid when they make remakes

i guess this show could have worked of it wasnt such a 80's classic,
saying that i watched all the episodes the otherday on my harddrive and i still think this new show was pretty good in places and i dont care what anyone thinks BUT i think Justin Bruening was a good michael knight

and i do hope that if they do make a new movie that they will give him the chance again to be the lead as i thought he was good and i think if given a good storyline he could show all these doubters that he was a good MK

ive always thought if the show did return for a new series they would have done a son and father episode with the new and old kitt,the old karr and garth knight

oo and if they do ever bring the series back,PLEASE DONT LET ZOE BACK IN,,can anyone say annoying character lol, billy was cool though

KITT 3000
Volunteer
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by KITT 3000 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:35 pm

I liked both the original show and the 2008 version. I didn't like TKR at all.

Anyway, they couldn't do an episode with Garth Knight, because, in keeping with continuity, Garth died when he drove Goliath and Adrienne Margaux (?) over the cliff. The only thing I could see would be if Garth had a child while he was in prison in either Africa or the US between the 2 Goliath episodes in Season 2. The son comes looking for the original Michael Knight and ends up pursuing the new Michael Knight, and he develops a new Goliath or KARR.

Another thing that could happen with the Charles out of the picture is the original Michael Knight steps in to become the head of FLAG, while Sarah handles the duties of running the Foundation.

standgeo
Volunteer

Post by standgeo » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:26 am

i think they should continue from the story that the movie let us believe. It really gave us a sort of continuation. Apart from that nanotech was used much more wise. Only a few changes in SPM, if we can call it that way. As for a TV movie or new episodes the stories that people around here wrote in fic second season are great and they use all those ideaw about DH and peope that want revenge from him. This also helped bring Dr Graiman back. Please anyone who wants can search at the forum and will find the topic.
Something about the movie. In imdb if you hit Knight Rider it matches except the series and the tv movie, an upcoming movie in production in 2012.
Does anyone know anything more about it?