FLAG mobile unit - screenused miniature- revealed!

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: Matthew, neps, Michael Pajaro

User avatar
kngt2k
Volunteer
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:44 pm

Re: FLAG mobile unit - screenused miniature- revealed!

Post by kngt2k » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:00 pm

To answer a previous post, the miniatures were used all over the place in most of the episodes. when you saw the underside of KITT flying over the camera, that was a miniature (look for the 4 long tubes as the rear end of the carr passes the screen... that's on the underside of many of the Sessums's KITTs)

Image

The remote control KITT is used in quite a few of them (sold on eBay about 8 years ago) but it's easy to spot when it's a model... if you freeze frame it look at the rocker panel you can see the camaro ground effects. or when it's a stunt or something you know for sure a real car wouldn't survive... such as dropping from a parachute or turbo-boosting into the side of a hill or spinning off a cliff, or driving on water, or being dropped into an acid pit. If you look close in the scenes where KITT is dropped in "Junk Yard Dog", you can tell when it was a real car and fork lift and when it was Jack's toys.

It's amusing to watch a film I have of Sessums & Slagle filming KITT jumping over The Longhorn in "Custom KITT" ( I think I'm right about ep. title) They have the model decked out in Camaro rims... makes me wonder what ever happened to those particular models. The set looked pretty cool too. Details were outrageous.

User avatar
Josch Schulz
FLAG Operative
Posts: 1187
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:00 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: North Carolina

Re: FLAG mobile unit - screenused miniature- revealed!

Post by Josch Schulz » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:29 pm

Did somebody has pictures from the scenes when they built stage with the cars up :?:
There's nothing worse than a smart-ass automobile

User avatar
kngt2k
Volunteer
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:44 pm

Re: FLAG mobile unit - screenused miniature- revealed!

Post by kngt2k » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:12 pm

No.... it's a video I have that Jack sent me before he died. It shows filming of miniature shots from varous episodes including "Goliath Returns" and "Custom KITT". since the material is copyrighted, I am forbidden to publish any of it. It has been seen by a number of people who attended a get together at Lousiell Enterprises a number of years ago.

Making_Waves_of_my_Own
Recruit
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:03 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: FLAG mobile unit - screenused miniature- revealed!

Post by Making_Waves_of_my_Own » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:43 pm

The miniature KITT is awesome!! Love reading this thread. :D

The "Camaro" interior suggests that Jack's KITT was based on the 1/8 scale Monogram models. Do we know that this is the case? I know that Monogram came out with a plastic model series in 1/8 scale that included a maroon 1982 Camaro and a black 1985 IROC-Z Camaro. Perhaps Jack used the bodies from these large Camaro models and fabricated a custom bumper, hood, rear panel and spoiler, T-tops, and Trans Am wheels.

Perhaps some additional insights would be helpful! Thanks!!

-- Dr. Paul

User avatar
kngt2k
Volunteer
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:44 pm

Re: FLAG mobile unit - screenused miniature- revealed!

Post by kngt2k » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:44 pm

Yes, The KITT models made by Jack Sessums were based on that Camaro model. The bodies are all custom molded from a mold Jack made of a modified body. He re-sculpted the back end to look like a Firebird then made a complete new front clip. Take a look at the picture I posted of the hole in the rocker panel... you can see he did not modify the rocker panel and the "Z-28" logo is still evident. a good number of these models, mine included, had at least a portion of the interior from one of these model kits in it. Generally Jack just threw in the basic interior without bothering to paint or install things like the steering wheel or other stuff. Many included a little custom "Michael Knight" figure that was from the waist up and glued to the seat... not all had this.

The trans-am wheels were Jacks creation, and they differ from model to model, but he custom created these, and they are a solid resin material. In fact, now that I recall, the majority of the cost he charged me was for the making of the wheels. He had tons of pieces here and there, but no wheels. I believe this was the case for the other car constructed around the same time, owned by a friend of mine who knew Jack and was lucky enough to spend time with him before he passed.

These models as built for use as "Flingers" as they were referred to, are extroardinarily durable and meant to take punishment. That being said, I am extremely careful with mine, since it has the rearview mirrors. They've broken off a few times, but I have managed to re-attach them and have stayed on for several years.

Frankly, I'm glad this model of the FLAG truck has surfaced and I'm hopeful that now we can be priviledged to see some hi-res pics of it and maybe it can be shown in public at a show somethime, assuming it's new owner is willing to bring it out. These things shouldnt languish in a garage in a crate... they should be put out there for people to enjoy. Like all the other wonderful movie and TV props that are surfacing all the time. With as many of these things that have been destroyed, it's looking like a good number have been saved and just ended up forgotten. 2 props from Knight Rider I hope survived and are just in someones basement or garage are the 1/2 and 3/4 season stage dashes. I know pics of the 1/2 season dash were snapped after the show had wrapped, so just maybe that is still somewhere waiting to be brought out.

User avatar
knight-online
Recruit
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:25 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: FLAG mobile unit - screenused miniature- revealed!

Post by knight-online » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:39 am

Hi,

great pictures! Congratulations!

For my German book, I collected some informations about the miniatures in Knight Rider. In the book, there are two pages with informations about using miniatures.

Yes, the Semi was used in KITT vs. KARR.

knightriderarchive.com has some more pictures. Very interesting! You can see how they created the Turbo Boost for "White Line Warriors". You find it in "KNIGHT RIDER: ORIGINAL SERIES" -> "FEATURES" -> "TRIBUTE TO JACK SESSUMS".

Greetings from Germany,

Elmar
Author of the German book "Das Knight Rider Buch" (licensed by NBC Universal, ISBN 978-3-8370-2220-9)
www.das-knight-rider-buch.com

German Fansite:
www.knight-online.info

Ave4uevoli
Volunteer
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:42 pm

Re: FLAG mobile unit - screenused miniature- revealed!

Post by Ave4uevoli » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:03 pm

Thank you all for you comments and help placing the Flag mobile unit and my KITT miniature.

One great thing I discovered about the miniatures is that they have full working lights.

The KITT miniature has working headlights and tailights too.
The Trailer has side lights and interior lights.


Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

figuring out the voltage required to power the lights was very tricky and took me hours this weekend to do.. but thankfully.. i got it.

i'll look into the screencaps that people have suggested above to find screencaps of the miniatures I have. I have also gotten emails people have sent me regarding discussing the props... I'm sorry if I didn't get to you yet - I'll be getting back to all of you soon.

Thanks
~Thomas

User avatar
taoworm2323
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 958
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:47 am

Re: FLAG mobile unit - screenused miniature- revealed!

Post by taoworm2323 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:16 pm

Thomas...that is the coolest thing I have seen in years! :shock: :shock: :good:
You are a VERY lucky man. We all really appreciate the pictures. It's as close as any of us will come to this I'm sure.
(The lights are amazing!)
"Don't tell me what I can't do!" ---John Locke

Ave4uevoli
Volunteer
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:42 pm

Re: FLAG mobile unit - screenused miniature- revealed!

Post by Ave4uevoli » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:53 pm

^^ Taoworm2323 - are you kidding?! You're the guy that made the perfect Knight 3000 orb that speaks back to you. The programming and the material fabrication alone on that are the most impressive thing I've ever seen. (we have to talk by the way :) I wanna add some of your stuff, and have a interactive knight rider display table now)

PLUS, you're making your very own knight 3000 with all the trimmings... I think that YOU"RE stuff is the most impressive stuff that I've seen in years... :good: :shock: :D

User avatar
stelios_z28
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 325
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:52 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: ATHENS-GREECE

Re: FLAG mobile unit - screenused miniature- revealed!

Post by stelios_z28 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:41 am

i hope the goliath prop model surface soon!!i would love to see that also!

User avatar
kngt2k
Volunteer
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:44 pm

Re: FLAG mobile unit - screenused miniature- revealed!

Post by kngt2k » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:13 pm

After speaking with my friend who knew Jack in his final year or so and had been planning some great things, and from my memories of talking with Jack, I can tell you that I am 99.9% certain that the model of Goliath no longer exists in that form. It was basically just a truck model... nothing too radical or unique, and I recall Jack telling me that he had used it elsewhere after "Goliath Returns" as just a plain old truck. I have a photograph of 2 models of trucks, one is from one of the "Smokey And The Bandit" sequels, an the other is just a plain white truck that just happens to be the same kind that Goliath was. I never got back to Jack to ask him about these photos, but I'd bet real money he snapped that pic to show me where Goliath was today. The trailer behind the truck could very well be Goliath's trailer, as it was painted grey and a bit beat up and damaged, which it would have been since it was shoved over a ledge into a pond on the Sessums Ranch.

Another thing I wanted to point out is that although the lights on the FLAG Semi model are most likely Jacks work, since you can see the trailer lights in "KITT vs. KARR", I'd bet real money that the KITT that came with the FLAG Semi model is NOT the one pictured sitting on his bench. The lights in that KITT model do not look like the work of Jack, but look to me like they were installed afterwards. The model sitting on the bench in the picture I posted with the scanner was one Jack was building for himself, and only had a scanner in it, not driving lights or taillights. And that picture was taken just a few months before he died, and it is doubtful he sold any more of them before he was too sick to do any more. What would tell the tail of this car is the COA, where Jack would spell out what the car was how it was used. Additionally, The taillights and driving lights are not of a quality that Jack would put in one of his models. The Gaff tape between the taillights is what tells me that. And the interior is too well put together and clean. Jack sold off a bunch of stuff a number of years ago, and the only KITT model that had a scanner in it when the show was being done (Junk Yard Dog) was sold to Planet Hollywood. That being said, it's still a Sessums KITT model and definitely used in the show, and well worth having in anyones collection.

I will get some screen grabs and post them as soon as I can

Ave4uevoli
Volunteer
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:42 pm

Re: FLAG mobile unit - screenused miniature- revealed!

Post by Ave4uevoli » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:26 pm

Facinating. THANKS SO MUCH for all those wonderful insights.

I find the lights in the KITT miniature especially interesting. I wonder who would bother putting headlights and tailights and a scanner into KITT.... The wiring looks very old, but the soldering job is top notch. It definitely was done a very long time ago.

I agree with you now that the miniature I have is not the one that is on the table - now that you mentioned that he still had it soon before his death. Is it possible that there was a miniature used in the show with headlights and taillights? or is it more likely that someone unrelated to the show took apart the miniature and put in headlights taililghts and a scanner?

thanks so much again

User avatar
tamatt27
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 773
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:37 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: ATX
Contact:

Re: FLAG mobile unit - screenused miniature- revealed!

Post by tamatt27 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:26 pm

taoworm2323 wrote:Thomas...that is the coolest thing I have seen in years! :shock: :shock: :good:
You are a VERY lucky man. We all really appreciate the pictures. It's as close as any of us will come to this I'm sure.
(The lights are amazing!)

Agreed! You're a lucky man!
KNIGHT RIDER RELOADED is a series of movies on Youtube to represent a different creative avenue to the Knight Rider we knew in 2008-09.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tamatt27

User avatar
Joe Huth
FLAG Operative
Posts: 1124
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Western Pennsylvania

Re: FLAG mobile unit - screenused miniature- revealed!

Post by Joe Huth » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:08 am

I could be wrong, but I think the semi miniature was only used in two scenes in the entire series...KARR crashing through the rear of the semi in "KITT vs KARR"....and the semi plowing through the remains of a concrete truck in "Ten Wheel Trouble":

KVK:
Image
Image

Ten Wheel Trouble:
Image
Image
Image

Joe
Knight Rider Historian - visit my website: http://www.KnightRiderHistorians.com
Co-author of Knight Rider Legacy

User avatar
kngt2k
Volunteer
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:44 pm

Re: FLAG mobile unit - screenused miniature- revealed!

Post by kngt2k » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:59 am

Ave4uevoli wrote:I agree with you now that the miniature I have is not the one that is on the table - now that you mentioned that he still had it soon before his death. Is it possible that there was a miniature used in the show with headlights and taillights? or is it more likely that someone unrelated to the show took apart the miniature and put in headlights taililghts and a scanner?


That is my guess. The gaff tape between the taillights is definitely not Jack's style. The only miniature equipped with a front scanner used in the show was the one used in "Junk Yard Dog", and Jack told me that the electronics for that took up most of the interior. He also told me it was sold to "Planet Hollywood" and was on display in Las Vegas, although I would bet it no longer is, otherwise there would have been pictures of it taken during the recent show out there, so it is, unfortunately, probably sitting in a crate in a warehouse somewhere. Anyone have connections with PH that could get them to let you see it????

That being said, whatever has been done to the miniature, it is still a Sessums model and collectible. I don't know if trying to put it back to the way it was or leaving it like it is is a way to go. If it were me I'd probably leave it as is and just enjoy it. Heck, the Semi is the star of that pair anyway... there is only one of those.

this is what the nose of the model from JYD looked like
Image

and with regard to "Goliath" that was mentioned earlier... I think this may be what was left of him. And I cannot be sure he is still around in any form

Image


Image

Just to be clear, I altered these pics since they don't really belong to me. There was a graphic on the side of the trailer.

User avatar
kngt2k
Volunteer
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:44 pm

Re: FLAG mobile unit - screenused miniature- revealed!

Post by kngt2k » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:03 am

By the way, I would defer to Joe on matters of where the Flag semi miniature was used in Knight Rider. If he says the model was used in only those 2 episodes, he's probably correct. I can't recall any others

Ave4uevoli
Volunteer
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:42 pm

Re: FLAG mobile unit - screenused miniature- revealed!

Post by Ave4uevoli » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:38 am

Yes, I was watching Junkyard dog yesterday, and even just pulled up the youtube video for it yesterday. Later on in that scene you can actually see the front bumper of that miniature, and it doesnt look like mine at all. I think the one in junkyard dog had 3 seperate lights on either side, and mine has one big one (which is of course not accurate by any means).

I got the lights working yesterday and they're actually quite bright. Not like the pictures that I posted above. They're so bright that no one would be able to tell if there were three seperate sections or just one big one on film.

I'll try and get more info on this KITT soon.

Thanks again to all who have helped me trace the history of these miniatures. Your help is greatly appreciated :D :good:

capedcollector
Volunteer
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:08 pm
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: FLAG mobile unit - screenused miniature- revealed!

Post by capedcollector » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:13 pm

Hi Gang,

What a great pair of props. I do know that the previous owner also owns a lot of Battlestar Galactica and Buck Rogers space ship prop miniatures and most of them have been restored, some totally from the ground up, new paint, parts, lights etc... So maybe this KITT has under gone the same treatment. It might explain where the lights came from.

I also agree with the other poster that the Semi is the star! Wow that is nice!!!!

Enjoy,
Capedcollector

User avatar
Matthew
Site Administrator
Posts: 1143
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2002 1:01 am
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: England

Re: FLAG mobile unit - screenused miniature- revealed!

Post by Matthew » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:23 pm

Hi Ave4uevoli,

I have to say that this is a truly magnificent find. It’s a shame that many other pieces of memorabilia like the semi model have either been lost to the sands of time, or are locked away somewhere collecting dust. It’s moments like these that remind me why this community is still so passionate about Knight Rider, 27 years on.

You have my heartfelt thanks and gratitude for sharing this with all of us. :good:

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

User avatar
stelios_z28
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 325
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:52 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: ATHENS-GREECE

Re: FLAG mobile unit - screenused miniature- revealed!

Post by stelios_z28 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:47 am

kngt2k wrote:By the way, I would defer to Joe on matters of where the Flag semi miniature was used in Knight Rider. If he says the model was used in only those 2 episodes, he's probably correct. I can't recall any others


the trailer in the pictures maybe goliath's but not the tractor!goliath was a peterbilt cabover with extra big cabin....this one in the pictures is a kenworth k123 with single rear axle...goliath has double rear axle.also....those rigs in the picture of yours..are you sure that they are in such a big scale??they look like 1/25 ertl models.

User avatar
Skav
FLAG Operative
Posts: 1999
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: England, UK
Contact:

Re: FLAG mobile unit - screenused miniature- revealed!

Post by Skav » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:24 am

kngt2k wrote:
Ave4uevoli wrote:I agree with you now that the miniature I have is not the one that is on the table - now that you mentioned that he still had it soon before his death. Is it possible that there was a miniature used in the show with headlights and taillights? or is it more likely that someone unrelated to the show took apart the miniature and put in headlights taililghts and a scanner?


That is my guess. The gaff tape between the taillights is definitely not Jack's style. The only miniature equipped with a front scanner used in the show was the one used in "Junk Yard Dog", and Jack told me that the electronics for that took up most of the interior. He also told me it was sold to "Planet Hollywood" and was on display in Las Vegas, although I would bet it no longer is, otherwise there would have been pictures of it taken during the recent show out there, so it is, unfortunately, probably sitting in a crate in a warehouse somewhere. Anyone have connections with PH that could get them to let you see it????


It was there at PH this year, in May so perhaps people have just not noticed it or anyone on this forum possibly hasn't eaten there.

Here is a pic of it which was taken from my own camera, it was not much to look at:


Image

I will try and get a better picture of it in March next year.

User avatar
Skav
FLAG Operative
Posts: 1999
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: England, UK
Contact:

Re: FLAG mobile unit - screenused miniature- revealed!

Post by Skav » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:27 am

Skav wrote:
kngt2k wrote:
Ave4uevoli wrote:I agree with you now that the miniature I have is not the one that is on the table - now that you mentioned that he still had it soon before his death. Is it possible that there was a miniature used in the show with headlights and taillights? or is it more likely that someone unrelated to the show took apart the miniature and put in headlights taililghts and a scanner?


That is my guess. The gaff tape between the taillights is definitely not Jack's style. The only miniature equipped with a front scanner used in the show was the one used in "Junk Yard Dog", and Jack told me that the electronics for that took up most of the interior. He also told me it was sold to "Planet Hollywood" and was on display in Las Vegas, although I would bet it no longer is, otherwise there would have been pictures of it taken during the recent show out there, so it is, unfortunately, probably sitting in a crate in a warehouse somewhere. Anyone have connections with PH that could get them to let you see it????


It was there at PH this year, in May so perhaps people have just not noticed it or anyone on this forum possibly hasn't eaten there.

Here is a pic of it which was taken from my own camera, it was not much to look at:


Image

I will try and get a better picture of it in March next year.

Btw, for anyone that does not know, PH restaurant is located at The Forum Shops at Caesars Palace, it is not actually in the PH hotel.

User avatar
kngt2k
Volunteer
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:44 pm

Re: FLAG mobile unit - screenused miniature- revealed!

Post by kngt2k » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:33 am

That looks like it is a Sessums model, and I think I can see a little MK inside... which tells me that is NOT the one with the scanner. Jack told me the electronics basically filled the interior. But I'm not 100% sure I'm correct about that. I will do more research. According to a reliable source Planet Hollywood got a bunch of stuff from the Sessums archive.

As for Goliath, those pictures were taken by Jack in his workshop. I have no way to know the scale of them, there is nothing to accurately reference them against, but if what I see in the pics is not an optical illusion they are the same scale as the FLAG truck. That is the scale Jack usually worked in. As for what make and model the truck is, I can't say for sure, you may be right. Jack sent me a bunch of pics, and I never got back to him to ask questions about them. I do know Jack sometimes fudged things due to time and material constraints, and, let's be honest, the details didn't often matter with television technology being what it was in the 80's. We can examine this stuff with a microscope now. I do know Jack told me that Goliath was re-purposed for something else, that much is in my notes, so the miniature, if it exists at all, no longer exists as Goliath, and is either sitting locked up in a warehouse on the Redlands Ranch, or was sold off along with other stuff by his sons. I just don't know.

User avatar
Skav
FLAG Operative
Posts: 1999
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: England, UK
Contact:

Re: FLAG mobile unit - screenused miniature- revealed!

Post by Skav » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:35 pm

kngt2k wrote:That looks like it is a Sessums model, and I think I can see a little MK inside... which tells me that is NOT the one with the scanner. Jack told me the electronics basically filled the interior. But I'm not 100% sure I'm correct about that. I will do more research. According to a reliable source Planet Hollywood got a bunch of stuff from the Sessums archive.

As for Goliath, those pictures were taken by Jack in his workshop. I have no way to know the scale of them, there is nothing to accurately reference them against, but if what I see in the pics is not an optical illusion they are the same scale as the FLAG truck. That is the scale Jack usually worked in. As for what make and model the truck is, I can't say for sure, you may be right. Jack sent me a bunch of pics, and I never got back to him to ask questions about them. I do know Jack sometimes fudged things due to time and material constraints, and, let's be honest, the details didn't often matter with television technology being what it was in the 80's. We can examine this stuff with a microscope now. I do know Jack told me that Goliath was re-purposed for something else, that much is in my notes, so the miniature, if it exists at all, no longer exists as Goliath, and is either sitting locked up in a warehouse on the Redlands Ranch, or was sold off along with other stuff by his sons. I just don't know.


kngt2k, yes there was a MK figure inside the model. It may have been used in Goliath Returns when KITT was sinking in the ground and used his grappling hook to pull himself out because the shape of the car looked like a model.

If it wasn't used in that scene then it is anyone's guess but it was screen used.

User avatar
kngt2k
Volunteer
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:44 pm

Re: FLAG mobile unit - screenused miniature- revealed!

Post by kngt2k » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:22 am

No, the one sinking into the mud was the remote-controlled car that had a motor and was steerable. That one sold off in 2002 on eBay.

Unless there are distinctive marks, there is no real way to tell which miniature was used where... there were a lot of them made and destroyed. In the case of my car, there were the holes in the rocker panels, and I did ask Jack if the body of my car was the one thrown from the helicopter in "Goliath Returns", and he felt it was likely. And/or the one you briefly see hitting the ground.

Where they were used really doesn't matter all that much when discussing these miniatures by Jack, because they were all used somewhere, so they all are part of the history of the show and therefore deserve to preserved and gotten out for car shows, etc. so that people can see them, and they can be enjoyed. Collectibles and rare pieces don't really matter or mean anything if they are locked away in a warehouse or packed up in a crate.

Locked