Controversial but was GST bad for KR???

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Stealthwalker
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Controversial but was GST bad for KR???

Post by Stealthwalker » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:01 am

Garthe Knight wrote: But this is always the problem today. Noone wants to make anything good, they always want to make it better and (which is worse) cooler. That's why it often ends way over the top and everyone thinks it's ridiculous.

I agree with you totally :good: And GST should have continued with the storyline from the pilot because it had better continuity to bridge TOS with KR08.
Stealthwalker aka "Tha Lone Crusader"

"We Meet Again". As quoted by Garthe Knight in "Goliath & Goliath Returns"

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:20 am

I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here: I don't want to come across as criticizing Andron because I think he did a great job rebooting the show. But in the interest of fairness...

OK, people are saying that GST was the showrunner and regardless of what forces were acting on him, "the buck stops here" and he's ultimately responsible for what we saw in the series. I'll accept that. But then we have to do the same for David Andron, don't we? Regardless of what forces were acting on him, HE'S ultimately responsible for what we saw in the 2-hour movie. By that logic, we can "blame" David Andron for bringing back yet another Knight Rider show without turbo boost. Knight Rider without turbo boost? That's crazy talk!

David Andron got too many things right for me to believe that he actively wanted to keep turbo boost out of his movie. You can blame it on budget if you like, but the bottom line is that external forces shaped his show differently than what he wanted. The same could be said for GST. And if David Andron DID want to exclude turbo boost, then he definitely wasn't the right man for the series.

(And I still think blaming budget is a cop-out, for both the movie and the series.)
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant

Post by tamatt27 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:51 am

Michael Pajaro wrote:I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here: I don't want to come across as criticizing Andron because I think he did a great job rebooting the show. But in the interest of fairness...

OK, people are saying that GST was the showrunner and regardless of what forces were acting on him, "the buck stops here" and he's ultimately responsible for what we saw in the series. I'll accept that. But then we have to do the same for David Andron, don't we? Regardless of what forces were acting on him, HE'S ultimately responsible for what we saw in the 2-hour movie. By that logic, we can "blame" David Andron for bringing back yet another Knight Rider show without turbo boost. Knight Rider without turbo boost? That's crazy talk!

David Andron got too many things right for me to believe that he actively wanted to keep turbo boost out of his movie. You can blame it on budget if you like, but the bottom line is that external forces shaped his show differently than what he wanted. The same could be said for GST. And if David Andron DID want to exclude turbo boost, then he definitely wasn't the right man for the series.

(And I still think blaming budget is a cop-out, for both the movie and the series.)
I'll buy that logic. The movie, in my opinion, was superior to the series for many reasons. The fact that Dave Andron was able to put out a Knight Rider movie to which he got so many things right (albeit Turbo Boost wasn't in there), that tells me that his vision for the franchise was more in line with what the studio wanted. Thus, Andron could've gotten away with more creative control, which would've been a good thing.
I'm still an Andron supporter and will always wonder what KR08 would've been with him at the helm.
KNIGHT RIDER RELOADED is a series of movies on Youtube to represent a different creative avenue to the Knight Rider we knew in 2008-09.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tamatt27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

taoworm2323
FLAG Assistant

Post by taoworm2323 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:39 pm

I'm with Matt! Dave was the best thing to ever happen to the new Knight Rider.
We will always have a a glimpse into that universe with the pilot movie and the ford commercials that aired during the movie. Both were shot on 35mm film and look LOADS better than GST and his HD video camera.

For instance on 35mm film KI3Ts scanner looks all red.

On HD digital video or digital camera it looks like KI3Ts scanner is yellow in the center and red on the edges.

Just one of the many things that was cooler about Andron's KR than GST's.
"Don't tell me what I can't do!" ---John Locke