Missing scenes in the pilot from the UK DVD boxset?

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Skav
FLAG Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Missing scenes in the pilot from the UK DVD boxset?

Post by Skav » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:09 pm

I am wondering if there are any missing scenes because I got hold of a US version of the Pilot and the running time came to 1:21 minutes where as on my DVD player for the UK version contained in the UK DVD set I got today came to 1:17 exactly.

I know PAL and NTSC run at different speeds so it could be due to that and I didn't notice anything missing.

Did anyone else notice this?
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SadArticle
Operative

Re: Missing scenes in the pilot from the UK DVD boxset?

Post by SadArticle » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:11 am

Well, I don't know about the boxset, but you could check if Billy's 'Kitt making you his b*tch' line is still in the episode with the kid (you can tell I really paid attention to this series), because I'm sure it was missing when the episode aired on Sci-Fi UK.
We'll never get the smell out of the upholstery - Kitt, Knightlines

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:50 am

The episodes themselves are short by 2 minutes compared to the NTSC versions which ran out at 41 minutes so the UK versions from the boxset are approx 39 mins.

It could really just be the speed difference between the two regions (I hope).

I'll have a look to see if that line is still there for you, Sarah, but I forgot what episode that was.

Wasn't it one of the last ones?
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:48 am

I thought the speed of NTSC vs PAL is only a reflection of frame rate, not actual time. Think NTSC is 75Hz compared to 60Hz for PAL. I have DVD's of the same film (including the original Knight Rider) from PAL and NTSC and never has there been an obvious difference in time. 2 mins is alot considering the episode is near 40mins long (depending on how you look at it!).

In retrospect though, I know PAL video games poorly converted from NTSC originals actually run slower. To get a confirmation of this. Run any scene episode till the first break (should be about 10mins ish) on the NTSC with a stop watch. Then rerun the exact same scene with PAL. you should be looking for about 30secs worth of difference (2min difference in 40min ep, so 30secs in 10min scene). Its a big enough gap to show up. If no gap, then suspect we have some editing going on!

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:18 pm

Okay, as it turns out, I may have judged too soon on the series episodes because every one so far (I'm up to the KARR episode) has ran at 40-41 mins.

The first episode of the series was two minutes short of that so it may be fine, or there has been editing to that particular episode too.

That still does not explain why the pilot episode runs 4 mins short, though, when compared to the NTSC version that was recorded from tv.

The NTSC version I saw was edited for commercials so there was none.

Sarfraz, here is a link confirming that we play movies faster than NTSC. 4% faster.

http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:vr ... clnk&gl=uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have seen people from the UK writing questions on IMDB forums about movies, wondering if they have uncut versions compared to the US ones and it's mostly been down to the speed difference.

Dalton
Recruit

Post by Dalton » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:30 pm

PAL conversion means video runs at 4% faster. Also some people can notice a higher pitch change in the sound.

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:09 pm

Cheers Skav. So NTSC games converted to PAL run slower, DVD's run faster :lol:

I think I'll be picking up the NTSC version on my way to LA in a few weeks.....and ofcourse the original series :mrgreen:

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:51 pm

Dalton wrote:PAL conversion means video runs at 4% faster. Also some people can notice a higher pitch change in the sound.
Yes thats why i hate the Pal versions of us shows.
People sound like they are on helium..lol :lol: