KITT in Smokey and the Bandit 3?

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

MR2NR
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

KITT in Smokey and the Bandit 3?

Post by MR2NR » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:25 pm

So I'm in Wally world and see that they now have DVD threequils of really cheasy movies and all for 13$. I thought there was only two S&B's but I was wrong there where THREE so I def bought it :). I watched it and soon realized why nobody acknowledges the third one but it was entertaining. No Burt Reynolds or Sally Field but low and behold Smokey aka Jackie Gleason has Micheal Longs car!! I seen that the movie premiered in 1983 but could this have been a KITT used car? I guess Jay or George would be the real answer givers and I am going to go through the credits to see it any of the same names come up. Being that both are Universal entities I'd say it's a good chance. But anyways it was nice to see another 81-82 T/A in action :).
K.R.A.M. Knight Reformulation Automated Machine 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo.

To the people who made the Knight Rider Festival possible especially Paul Casey. Thank You! See you all and more in 2012 :kitt2:

MR2NR
FLAG Recruit

Re: KITT in Smokey and the Bandit 3?

Post by MR2NR » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:27 pm

Well I was in a hurry when I typed this and seen I put the cop instead of Snowman AKA Jerry Reed had KITT.

To the people who made the Knight Rider Festival possible especially Paul Casey. Thank You! See you all and more in 2012 :kitt2:

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant

Post by tamatt27 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:31 am

It was just a black third-gen Trans Am. No relation to Knight Rider other than the type of car.
KNIGHT RIDER RELOADED is a series of movies on Youtube to represent a different creative avenue to the Knight Rider we knew in 2008-09.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tamatt27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Crumbling Down
FLAG Recruit

Post by Crumbling Down » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:20 pm

It did turbo boost out of the snowmans garage though. Did you notice when he leaves his garage it catches air and lands pretty hard. As far as I know, the snowman didn't have a ramp in front of his garage doors and if he did I don't know why he would cause he mainly drive a big rig.
Booonnnnnzzzzaaaaaiii!!!!!!!! As michael turbo boosts to score the extra point. His face is so funny when he yells this and when he hits turbo boost his eyes get huge and he flies back into the seat

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:10 pm

Burt Reynolds does have a short cameo at the last 5 minutes of the movie.

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant

Post by tamatt27 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:04 pm

Crumbling Down wrote:It did turbo boost out of the snowmans garage though. Did you notice when he leaves his garage it catches air and lands pretty hard. As far as I know, the snowman didn't have a ramp in front of his garage doors and if he did I don't know why he would cause he mainly drive a big rig.
That was for eye candy, I'm sure. 8)
KNIGHT RIDER RELOADED is a series of movies on Youtube to represent a different creative avenue to the Knight Rider we knew in 2008-09.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tamatt27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

aussie muscle
Recruit
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by aussie muscle » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:30 am

While i didn't like the movie, i did like seeing the 82 t/a driving around. i dunno, it seems like they didn't have any ideas what to do for this movie, like they just re-shot the other movies. same script, same jokes, same... oh never mind.

As posted in the creative section

Crumbling Down
FLAG Recruit

Post by Crumbling Down » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:51 pm

I also didn't know they made a smokey and the bandit 3 until I was at walmart and saw the complete 3 movie collection. I ended up buying it there. The 3rd one is my least favorite one but it is good to watch anyways
Booonnnnnzzzzaaaaaiii!!!!!!!! As michael turbo boosts to score the extra point. His face is so funny when he yells this and when he hits turbo boost his eyes get huge and he flies back into the seat

Rookie

Post by 1982 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:00 pm

The Trans Am in Smokey and the Bandit 3 was a 1983 model, not a 1982.

Pretty much a standard optioned car. It had a basic interior, not the same as used on the Knight Rider car.

The model shown is inaccurate as it has the wrong seats. Probably just a left over 1982 model with an action figure.

aussie muscle
Recruit

Post by aussie muscle » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:54 pm

Yes, as i said, i used the MPC knight rider kitt kit. no one else noticed the seats :shock:
The figure is actually from Preiser's Adam kit. i added his hat and painted him. i've yet to pose it all in a diorama, which was the plan originally.

MR2NR
FLAG Recruit

Post by MR2NR » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:27 am

Thanks for the answers!! I wish they made a cannonball run 3 movie DVD. If anybody sees it let me know :).

Crumbling Down
FLAG Recruit

Post by Crumbling Down » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:13 pm

MR2NR wrote:Thanks for the answers!! I wish they made a cannonball run 3 movie DVD. If anybody sees it let me know :).
I believe they did but it was labeled as a movie called speed zone. Pretty good movie as well. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_Zone" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;!

stelios_z28
FLAG Recruit

Post by stelios_z28 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:12 pm

1982 wrote:The Trans Am in Smokey and the Bandit 3 was a 1983 model, not a 1982.

Pretty much a standard optioned car. It had a basic interior, not the same as used on the Knight Rider car.

The model shown is inaccurate as it has the wrong seats. Probably just a left over 1982 model with an action figure.
i don't agree with you!after a search i made and also check my trans am's vin number....the car is 1982!my trans am is also 1982 and it is equipped with the same seats as in the smokey and the bandit 3!also the turbo cast wheels were available only in 1982!in 1983 they change it with some similar rims without the hubcaps.

Rookie

Post by 1982 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:30 pm

stelios_z28 wrote:
1982 wrote:The Trans Am in Smokey and the Bandit 3 was a 1983 model, not a 1982.

i don't agree with you!after a search i made and also check my trans am's vin number....the car is 1982!my trans am is also 1982 and it is equipped with the same seats as in the smokey and the bandit 3!also the turbo cast wheels were available only in 1982!in 1983 they change it with some similar rims without the hubcaps.

Your car has the same seats as the car in Smokey and the Bandit 3 because both cars have the standard interior that was the same for both years. The seats are not the same as used on the Knight Rider cars.

The "Turbo Cast" rims were available 82 to March of 83 for 15", 82-84 for 14" rims. The other rims you mention were also available on mid to late 82 models.

The Smokey and the Bandit 3 car was an early 83 Norwood built Trans Am, VIN BEGINNING 1G2AW87SXDN2 ("D" representing "83")

stelios_z28
FLAG Recruit

Post by stelios_z28 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:47 am

no ofence..but how do you know the bandit's screen used car vin number?

Rookie

Post by 1982 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:25 am

stelios_z28 wrote:no ofence..but how do you know the bandit's screen used car vin number?
Stunt work and the vehicles used have been pretty much my life. All of the vehicles I have been involved with, as well as others that I had the opportunity to see, I kept a detailed description. The Smokey and the Bandit 3 Trans Am was one of the cars I was fortunate to see on set, thanks to an invitation from fellow colleague David Cass, and thanks to a good friend, God bless him, Jerry Reed.

stelios_z28
FLAG Recruit

Post by stelios_z28 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:43 am

1982 wrote:
stelios_z28 wrote:no ofence..but how do you know the bandit's screen used car vin number?
Stunt work and the vehicles used have been pretty much my life. All of the vehicles I have been involved with, as well as others that I had the opportunity to see, I kept a detailed description. The Smokey and the Bandit 3 Trans Am was one of the cars I was fortunate to see on set, thanks to an invitation from fellow colleague David Cass, and thanks to a good friend, God bless him, Jerry Reed.

man....i think you had one of the best experience of a lifetime been on a set like this!!i am jealous!

Stuntman Lee
Rookie

Post by Stuntman Lee » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:55 pm

Crumbling Down wrote:
MR2NR wrote:Thanks for the answers!! I wish they made a cannonball run 3 movie DVD. If anybody sees it let me know :).
I believe they did but it was labeled as a movie called speed zone. Pretty good movie as well. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_Zone" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;!
Or Cannonball Fever as it is known over here. Either way, it was crap.
Love child of The Hoff.

Stuntman Lee
Rookie

Post by Stuntman Lee » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:00 pm

MR2NR wrote:So I'm in Wally world and see that they now have DVD threequils of really cheasy movies and all for 13$. I thought there was only two S&B's but I was wrong there where THREE so I def bought it :). I watched it and soon realized why nobody acknowledges the third one but it was entertaining. No Burt Reynolds or Sally Field but low and behold Smokey aka Jackie Gleason has Micheal Longs car!! I seen that the movie premiered in 1983 but could this have been a KITT used car? I guess Jay or George would be the real answer givers and I am going to go through the credits to see it any of the same names come up. Being that both are Universal entities I'd say it's a good chance. But anyways it was nice to see another 81-82 T/A in action :).
Ah man, you almost had me excited. Why?

Rumour has it (on the internet of course) that originally for the third S&B film, Jackie Gleason played both Smokey AND the Bandit. Test screenings found that it was too confusing for the audience and also the idea just didn't work. So, they brought in Jerry Reed to film his scenes as the Bandit.

As I say, this is just a runour and I would love to see that version of the film.
Love child of The Hoff.

aussie muscle
Recruit

Post by aussie muscle » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:31 am

I've heard that rumour. the title was to be 'Smokey Is the Bandit'.

:roll:

pdennis93
FLAG Recruit

Post by pdennis93 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:55 am

aussie muscle wrote:I've heard that rumour. the title was to be 'Smokey Is the Bandit'.

:roll:

yup. and i've found proof some scenes were filmed. and possibly even the whole movie. there was an article i read on google about the film being called "smokey is the bandit" before fimling had started and that "jerry reed, burt reynolds, and sally field will not appear in this movie"

also i found this pic online of gleason dressed as the bandit and then found a scene in the DVD where the stuntman is clearly dressed up like gleason and not reed.