Kitt's trunk

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Kitt's trunk

Post by Knight Racer » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:03 am

I was wondering about kitt's trunk.I noticed a black covering that could be used to protect the privacy of what's inside your car's trunk for trans ams and camaros.I was considering buying a 1999 camaro but i would need to get that trunk cover.Does anyone know where it's sold or what its called?

Also on the side is a machanical piece i don't know what its called to lift open the trunk possibly as an automatic function of the car.Is this standard on trans am's in 82 to 2002? or is it something the guys at universal set up?

sheltonw3
FLAG Recruit

Re: Kitt's trunk

Post by sheltonw3 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:21 am

that part is no long available new! ,but you can still get good ones on ebay or check any of the knight rider replica web sights forums....there is always someone selling these covers or anything replated to them!

now as far as the Mechanism there?....thats actually a hydralic rod controlled with a power window switch,I tried the same thing with a power window motor and steel cable with anchor and have only 50% luck ,I was able to close the trunk but it would not reopen!....but that kinda thing is available for $75.00 to $100.00 !

I bought new window motors for $65.00 a pair!....but who knows,I may try it again?
"Really?....some people are simply just too much!"

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:44 am

Thanks sheltonw3 for replying to the thread.I can understand the mechanism only being able to lock since that thin antena looking thing can pull pack to the hydraulic,but i can't see itopening sice its too small to lift the trunk.Perhaps that scene in knight racer season 4 where michael throws the bomb into kitts trunk was shot in reverse.

sheltonw3
FLAG Recruit

Post by sheltonw3 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:34 am

those rods are not hollow like antennas,they can actually push more than you trhink,especailly if the trunk is equipted with two hydraulic rods!...and it was knight racer!...I really wish we could pick the brains of the prop people who built these back in the day?
"Really?....some people are simply just too much!"

aussie muscle
Recruit
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by aussie muscle » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:27 pm

The rods on the side look like standard hydralic struts that all 3rd gen firebirds/camaros have. they lift the rear hatch when it's unlocked. the other thing is just called a privacy blind i believe. a 99 camaro would be a different shape to that one, but i'm sure they are available aftermarket.