Junkyard Dog question

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Skav
FLAG Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Junkyard Dog question

Post by Skav » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:35 am

Did KITT cause the fire to shoot out of his exhaust as an attempt to escape the possibility of being assigned back to missions? This is just after the sequence where he was on the test track when he wasn't doing so well.

Also, how could KITT get "nerves" from what happened to him, wasn't his memory destroyed? I know Bonnie said he had the "barest shreds of his memory banks" left so is it safe to assume that those little shreds were of him being put into the acid?
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Re: Junkyard Dog question

Post by Knight Racer » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:26 pm

He wouldn't cause a fire to not be assigned to missions because what good is he as an operatives partner in the field?He probably had some glitch that caused it.I mean these people were probably working from old blueprints from the original knight 2000 design and there might have bheen a glitch with all the new added gadgets,circuits etc.My network printer/fax/copie all in 1 starts making noises sometimes and it could be some current problem sometimes these things do happen with sophisticated computerized instruments.

The base Shreds thing,I'll have to say that kitt blackbox/cpu may have been damaged beyond repair and they might have just taken whatever could have been salvageable on the memory part and added it to a new cpu with all his memories/database backed up to a central mainframe and just redownloaded with anything they could have salvaged from the last few days kitt was alive.That's just my guess.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:09 am

Knight Racer wrote:He wouldn't cause a fire to not be assigned to missions because what good is he as an operatives partner in the field?He probably had some glitch that caused it.I mean these people were probably working from old blueprints from the original knight 2000 design and there might have bheen a glitch with all the new added gadgets,circuits etc.My network printer/fax/copie all in 1 starts making noises sometimes and it could be some current problem sometimes these things do happen with sophisticated computerized instruments.

The base Shreds thing,I'll have to say that kitt blackbox/cpu may have been damaged beyond repair and they might have just taken whatever could have been salvageable on the memory part and added it to a new cpu with all his memories/database backed up to a central mainframe and just redownloaded with anything they could have salvaged from the last few days kitt was alive.That's just my guess.
In response to your first answer to the first query, your forgetting that KITT lost his nerves. He'd do anything to get out of situations and I wouldn't put it past him to cause and make that fire as an excuse to not get involved in missions. Even the Doctor, who was there at the time, said he'd make any excuse to stay out of the action.

Following the fire incident, KITT asked to be towed back too, to which Michael objected, which comes across to me like KITT didn't want to be on the road, period.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My_Friend_KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by My_Friend_KITT » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:46 am

Hey...Whatever happened to those white KITTs?
Did they just use them that one time and then trash 'em or sell 'em?
Were they just on loan for this episode???
Are they still out there somewhere?

Just curious...I hope someone knows. :)
That is a computer not a sofa.......Knight of the Drones

A firsthand viewer of Knight Rider '08!
And I LOVED it!

SadArticle
Operative

Post by SadArticle » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:44 am

Skav wrote: Following the fire incident, KITT asked to be towed back too, to which Michael objected, which comes across to me like KITT didn't want to be on the road, period.
Hey, Skav! I don't think Kitt started the fire on purpose, I think he was just trying too hard, to prove he could do it for Michael and for himself. Kitt is very proud of his capabilities, and I think his self-image was shaken more than his nerves - when he could only manage the course at half speed, and then missed the Turbo boost, his act of bravado was knocked back. The car back-fired because it wasn't completely finished yet, and then Kitt gave up and asked to be towed back to the garage.

I love this episode - the effects are a bit hokey, but it has heart and a family feel to it.
We'll never get the smell out of the upholstery - Kitt, Knightlines

aussie muscle
Recruit
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by aussie muscle » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:39 am

pfft. writers are stupid. Anyone that give computers emotions need their own head read. a computer is not a computer when you give it emotions. star trek has the same problem, all their tech ends up with emotions and goes haywire (data, enterprise, holodeck, EMH, etc). ah well, its only a tv show...

as for My_Friend_KITT's question, i'd say there were just painted white for the episode, then turned back to black afterwards.

Jay
Rookie

Post by Jay » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:52 am

1. There was definitely a backup of KITT's information... plus the databanks Bonnie mentions are the ones that hold information relevant to the case at hand. The fact that they were left means that they were protected, in a MBS case or such.

2. KITT was afraid for himself, as far as I am concerned, for one reason: when he failed, and got dropped into the pit, Michael was left alone in a dangerous situation. Since half his primary directive was to protect Michael, he didn't want to risk endangering Michael again by not being there to save him. KITT basically wants to keep away from danger, hoping Michael won't go out without him.
If Michael would have gone out alone KITT would have gone with him.
When Michael gives him the talk, he gets KITT to realise that the danger cannot be avoided - after all, danger is their life and mission.
"Alright Mr. KITT, let's burn some rubber!" Knight Song

SadArticle
Operative

Post by SadArticle » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:11 am

aussie muscle wrote:pfft. writers are stupid. Anyone that give computers emotions need their own head read. a computer is not a computer when you give it emotions. star trek has the same problem, all their tech ends up with emotions and goes haywire (data, enterprise, holodeck, EMH, etc). ah well, its only a tv show...
It's only a TV show? :shock: Why didn't anybody tell me before?

And I think the reason the show worked so well is because Kitt did have emotions, a personality, etc., from the very beginning. How boring would it be for Michael to drive round with only a 'realistic' computer in a car, a functional device that replies to exact queries in a robotic voice devoid of expression? Better by far to have a superior AI with an ego and a talent for delivering caustic one-liners, with whom Michael can form a friendship.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:21 am

SadArticle wrote:
Skav wrote: Following the fire incident, KITT asked to be towed back too, to which Michael objected, which comes across to me like KITT didn't want to be on the road, period.
Hey, Skav! I don't think Kitt started the fire on purpose, I think he was just trying too hard, to prove he could do it for Michael and for himself. Kitt is very proud of his capabilities, and I think his self-image was shaken more than his nerves - when he could only manage the course at half speed, and then missed the Turbo boost, his act of bravado was knocked back. The car back-fired because it wasn't completely finished yet, and then Kitt gave up and asked to be towed back to the garage.

I love this episode - the effects are a bit hokey, but it has heart and a family feel to it.

Hmm, I like that answer, Sarah. Btw, welcome back! :good:

I am still not convinced as to why KITT would be scared, though. Sure, Bonnie would have back ups of his memories but surely she would not have back ups of his memory of being dumped into the acid pit? The way I see it is that Michael goes back to FLAG periodically and Bonnie makes the back ups there and then.

There would not have been any chance or time to have backed up memories of that situation.

A thought has just come to mind that perhaps KITT was told about what happened when he was re-created and maybe he got nerves from that?

Crumbling Down
FLAG Recruit

Post by Crumbling Down » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:31 pm

even if kitt didn't remember hte toxic pit, I am sure bonnie or one of the scientist told kitt what had happened. He realized that he was dead for awhile and didn't want it to happen again and thus was afraid. I like the part where Michael talks about remembering being shot and that everytime someone flicked a match he would flinch. That was a nice speach he gave kitt
Booonnnnnzzzzaaaaaiii!!!!!!!! As michael turbo boosts to score the extra point. His face is so funny when he yells this and when he hits turbo boost his eyes get huge and he flies back into the seat

SadArticle
Operative

Post by SadArticle » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:05 pm

Skav wrote:I am still not convinced as to why KITT would be scared, though. Sure, Bonnie would have back ups of his memories but surely she would not have back ups of his memory of being dumped into the acid pit? The way I see it is that Michael goes back to FLAG periodically and Bonnie makes the back ups there and then.
Here's my (fan fiction) take on the situation: Fractured :oops:

Sarah

snafu
FLAG Recruit

Post by snafu » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:42 pm

SadArticle wrote:
Skav wrote:I am still not convinced as to why KITT would be scared, though. Sure, Bonnie would have back ups of his memories but surely she would not have back ups of his memory of being dumped into the acid pit? The way I see it is that Michael goes back to FLAG periodically and Bonnie makes the back ups there and then.
Here's my (fan fiction) take on the situation: Fractured :oops:

Sarah
Thank you for writing a fanfic that I can actually read... that does not murder the English language.

back on topic:
I would think they left the shreds of the toxic pit incident to affect Kitt's future situations... not so much the self-preservation that Karr had but to help him finish the case and continue to add to the data logs.
I have human experience with brain damage/memory loss and honestly, the feeling of not knowing what happened was more terrifying than the thoughts/other people's accounts of the actual accident. (which I don't remember)

This episode was one of the few where the Hoff was not overacting.
Heaven, where all QC only has to be run once.

SadArticle
Operative

Post by SadArticle » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:52 pm

snafu wrote:Thank you for writing a fanfic that I can actually read... that does not murder the English language.
Thank you, that's very kind! :)
I would think they left the shreds of the toxic pit incident to affect Kitt's future situations... not so much the self-preservation that Karr had but to help him finish the case and continue to add to the data logs.
I have human experience with brain damage/memory loss and honestly, the feeling of not knowing what happened was more terrifying than the thoughts/other people's accounts of the actual accident. (which I don't remember)
I was thinking a lot about memory when I wrote this response to the episode. I originally had Bonnie offering to wipe Kitt's memories of the acid pit, and Kitt is still considering it when Michael comes to talk to him that first time, but I agree, it helps him to know what happened and why. He can learn from the experience, however traumatic.
This episode was one of the few where the Hoff was not overacting.
Agree! David plays humour and sadness - 'subtle' emotions - better than anger. (His threats to Byrock still make me laugh - 'the law's a two-edged sword, man!')