Official cancellation posted by Sci Fi

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

blowersho
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Official cancellation posted by Sci Fi

Post by blowersho » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:06 am

I have nothing against Andron because he was on the right track, his pilot stands above the all the other reboots. They all however made the same mistake, they were all unable to establish the car as an over the top machine that was a true force to be reckoned with. The 82 pilot did that and while it may seem crude and unpolished now the main point that KITT is awesome still shines through even almost thirty years later.

Solid Snake
FLAG Recruit

Post by Solid Snake » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:12 am

Thanks for the opinion modelmaker, I largely agree with you and your reflection about the original KR. Like I said in some other threads and to some people in chats, the original show was not brilliant either... the only reason why it really was able to make it is that it had an audience it appealed too. I am 100% sure that if the original would have been made last year (with updated ways of shooting a TV show) it would never have been as "popular" as it was back then in the 80's. Why? Most of the episodes were campy and cheesy, worked back then but would it work now? I think if we pick out all of the really truly excellent original KR episodes and shoot those we would not end up with much more than just one season either. And another reason why the show would not be as popular as in the 80's; competition. Now there is to much competition both on and off the screen to ensure that a potentially great show will be a smash hit... to much cheap to shoot easy to air real life crap and singy dancy contest thingies. For a station it is much more interesting to make those shows rather than spend millions on scripting TV series that might not work that well in the first place because they are old fashioned.

And yes of course NBC is the main offender when it comes to the mistakes that were made with KR. But I can not stop but feel that there should not have been a switch of exec producers between the pilot and the series, yes the pilot was slow moving... for several reasons. But at least the story made more sense than most of what we saw was done under the new producing team for the series. And as for establishing the car as being the most advanced vehicle on the road, the original initially in the pilot did that with a lot of talk... a lot of dialogue (Devon and Michael scene) and then later with some stunts. The new pilot did it with a lot of non existent dialogue (meaning the car speaking for itself) by deflecting and repairing bullet damage, by visually driving driver less in bright daylight (thank you Hollywood magic), by shape shifting into a different version of the Stang, by changing its colour for camo, by letting a flipping SUV smash into it and still look as sleek as a butterfly after impact...

What I did miss however, was more amazement, meaning people going "sh*t that car just did something really cool". But then again, the car did not interact with that many people in the pilot.

Andron to me at least had the right idea... but ironically his hands were tied (even back when the pilot was being made, because of the strike). Hope he reads this.
Knight Rider, powered by Ford!

2K&3KKITT
Operative

Post by 2K&3KKITT » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:09 am

Rockatteer wrote:
knightendo77 wrote:We can confirm that sadly Knight Rider will not be commissioned for a second series. This is a shame because the response we've received since the show launched has been very positive.
um... I hate nick-pick, but not making a second season doesn't mean the show is canceled. This is something which has been talked about in other topics. They could just have put it on hold.
'Thank you! That's what I have been trying to say all this time! The show may not be cancelled, just put on hold for now. There are many different reasons that could cause this. One day they'll bring it back. We just got to show everyone that it's better than all the other junk out there.
SAVE KNIGHT RIDER! Sign this petition! I was #205! One of the first!
http://www.gopetition.com/online/23816.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:kittspin:
Read my Stories!
http://kileandkasey.webs.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

phillev1
Stranger
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by phillev1 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:09 pm

We still need to keep going with the campaign methinks now is not the time to give up after all the petitioning etc that means it will have been a waste of effort dont get me wrong it still may be but at least the show will have gone down fighting. My overall opinion on the show is for all its flaws of which there are many it still sucks you in and thats nothing to do with GST its because its "KNIGHT RIDER" pure and simple, man and talking car its just that it lost its way in the episodes up to the reboot where it got back to its roots GST should take note if it ain't broke dont try and fix it. Dont give up and keep the faith everyone.

knightendo77
Operative

Post by knightendo77 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:06 am

An NBC Universal networks official, an administrator on their UK channel's website with inside knowledge, states quite frankly "sadly the show will not be renewed for a second year" and you guys take that as "it's not cancelled, it's on a break, it'll be back." I applaud your dedication I really do, but just because NBC didn't make an official comment back in May doesn't mean they actually said the phrase "no comment" and even if they did, don't be reading into it. Other shows in the past and present have not been renewed and we've only found out by seeing the next season's listings.

And the poll is just a fun little silly poll that many, many websites do.

I would love the show to return and be closer to its roots, but this KR fan is going to treasure the original, the new pilot and a handful of the new episodes and move on from there. This is pretty black and white.
knightendo77
"I'm a Goofy Goober."

I'm on Bebo - knightendo_phil

Alex
FLAG Assistant

Post by Alex » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:52 pm

Even if you think Knight Rider was canceled in 2008? It will be that in the second season was canceled even..? I do not think, because I believe that one day that the television Knight Rider will continue the seasons, don't you think?

I believe that will continue.

Alex.

taoworm2323
FLAG Assistant

Post by taoworm2323 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:45 pm

Hey guys,
Dave Andron has seen this thread over the weekend and really is grateful, but it's out of his hands at this point.
He was touched by all of the support, and more than a little frustrated that there wasn't more that he could do.

I would like to thank Dave again for all of his hard work and wish him the very best luck on his new projects. :good:
Thanks again for KR Dave! We appreciate it!
"Don't tell me what I can't do!" ---John Locke

Solid Snake
FLAG Recruit

Post by Solid Snake » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:44 pm

Thanks Dave, I am a great fan of your vision on the continuation of the story! I understand the frustrations, must be horrible to have your vision clouded... to say it nicely... by a network with no clue about what to do with a franchise with bucket loads of potential. They get it right with the pilot to a certain extent (despite the strike and such), and then... yes "let's take that... and shove it up where the sun don't shine".

Dave, I for one hope that some way you will get a foot in some door at some point and maybe... maybe... get your Knight Riding again... and do it the way you want it (please?).

Thanks for reading the boards :good: Image.
Knight Rider, powered by Ford!

Alex
FLAG Assistant

Post by Alex » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:24 pm

Dave, thanks for everything. I really enjoyed.

You are the best. :good:

8)
Alex.

EVKRWriter
Recruit

Post by EVKRWriter » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:32 pm

Thanks Dave!

Your frustration is completely understandable and...warranted. NBC screwed this up. It's their fault.

Had NBC understood, from the beginning, what your Knight Rider could have been, I doubt we'd be having all these 'Save Knight Rider08', or, 'KR08 Canceled?' threads everywhere.

So, cheers! Maybe, hopefully, someday, NBC will get their heads out of their asses, and give you another shot at it...give us all, another shot at it. Trust me, I'll be there to see it. For sure. Everyone else will too. Again, fur shur.

^.^
~EV

KITT Happens!!!

KR Fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/~evryderwriter. My way of keeping Knight Rider alive and well.

notgood
Stranger

Post by notgood » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:54 pm

This really is a stupid move by NBC, I don't watch tv but I loved Knight Rider the new and the old. I'm sick and tired of so called reality shows Knight Rider was a great new show. I hope they don't remove it from the website and keep itthere as I like to watch the re-runs i'll even deal with the commercials. I really wouldn't want to download them, but then again I don't want to pay for an unfinished product.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:27 am

I had a lot of issues with the pilot and gave Andron a lot of crap (not about the script, I gave it a pass because of the strike issues) but still I wished after seeing A Hard Day's Knight (and that grew with each episode he wrote) that he would have had some sort of control instead of GST. But in the end it's NBC's fault from the start with rushing out the pilot to going where the series went with GST, because their powers that be made the choice to take it into the direction he wanted to take it, which in the end proved to be wrong.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant

Post by CJaguar442 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:44 am

this is now on top of my list of why NBC sucks and i will boycott their programming

Knight Rider
Crossing Jordan
Journeyman
Bionic Woman
My Own Worst Enemy
Stargate SG1
Stargate Atlantis
Re-elect Mayor Goldie wilson, Progress is his middle name!
Save the Clocktower!
Go Boston Red Sox! Go Boston Bruins! Go Boston Celtics!
Go the distance and he will come!

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:41 pm

taoworm2323 wrote:
tamatt27 wrote: So how do we get in touch with Dave Andron and let him know that he's got our support?

A member here at KRO knows Dave Andron personally. (No not me..)
I will let said member relay this thread to Dave. It should mean a lot to him. :wink:
Who man? Because that is the first great news I hear in a long, long, long time about KR08 anyway. The other more or less good news is the apparent upcoming fan films and webisodes of K.R.

taoworm2323
FLAG Assistant

Post by taoworm2323 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:46 pm

PunkMaister wrote:
taoworm2323 wrote:
tamatt27 wrote: So how do we get in touch with Dave Andron and let him know that he's got our support?

A member here at KRO knows Dave Andron personally. (No not me..)
I will let said member relay this thread to Dave. It should mean a lot to him. :wink:
Who man? Because that is the first great news I hear in a long, long, long time about KR08 anyway.
Can't say bro, sorry. The KRO member who knows Andron personally does not want it to be known publicly who they are, and I respect his reasons for doing so.
"Don't tell me what I can't do!" ---John Locke

B.R.O
Recruit

Post by B.R.O » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:51 pm

I find it quite sad to see KR08 in a tate of libo between "canceled" and "on hold", actually I would even be happy if they decided to officially cancel the show (please don't shoot me) because it would be a pretty big relief as I wouldn't have to worry about it anymore...

The only show that I'we watched that I know has been made by GST is Las Vegas and I absolutely hated it, so I guess I could go for making GST out as the bad guy, but if I'm honest it really wasn't just him who ruined the show. I mean NONE of the actors came close to the charisma the original cast had I mean just all of the one episode appearences in TOS had more charisma than ANY of the cast members in KR08 (with the exeption of Yancey Arias as Torres and Val Kilmer as the voice of KI3T).

The place where the show "stunk" the most was the writing, it was jus simply bad... It had a lot of inconsistencies, the dialogue was poorly written, it followed the laws of physics and common sence only when it really felt like it and characterisation was poor at best. They even had some "growing up" moments for KI3T in the early episodes (with for instance watching the old western), which I acutally liked, but they never folowed up on, it felt like just about every episdoe was written by a different person that hadn't read the scripts to any of the other episodes. It gave the feeling that they actually had one competent guy in the writing staff, but he was fired early on for making the other retards is the crew look bad.

So yeah, the show was not just ruined by GST, but rather by the combination of a lot of things...

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:47 pm

I've sort of put KR08 out of my mind since all the press announced it was gone. It was a big downer for me. I've wanted a successful KR relaunch for years, and they seemed to have put so much effort behind this one I was praying it would work out. Sadly it didn't do the trick. I applaud the positive intentions and the good the series managed to accomplish, but even I had to admit it had its flaws.

I agree with the sentiment that the show was generally at its best when Andron was on the writing duties and they shied away from transforming KITT every ten minutes. What really saddens me is that it could be years until we see another attempt at this franchise be taken up on TV. I do have hopes that the feature film will be produced, but that's been in the works for ages so I'm iffy on that project ever coming to fruition.
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

WIBoomer1
FLAG Recruit

Post by WIBoomer1 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:49 pm

BRO, yo, no...
B.R.O wrote:I find it quite sad to see KR08 in a state of limbo between "canceled" and "on hold", actually I would even be happy if they decided to officially cancel the show (please don't shoot me) because it would be a pretty big relief as I wouldn't have to worry about it anymore...
I wished that the powers that be had the guts to say straight out "KR 08 is Canceled" back in May. They never did, which led too many fans to believe that the show is on hold. NBC-Universal have simply have not ordered any more shows. The crew and cast are not working on KR anymore. There's no current production happening. I would bet that there's no KR 08 offices anymore at NBC-Universal. So why do people think that KR 08 is on hold?
B.R.O wrote:The only show that I've watched that I know has been made by GST is Las Vegas and I absolutely hated it, so I guess I could go for making GST out as the bad guy, but if I'm honest it really wasn't just him who ruined the show. I mean NONE of the actors came close to the charisma the original cast had I mean just all of the one episode appearances in TOS had more charisma than ANY of the cast members in KR08 (with the exception of Yancey Arias as Torres and Val Kilmer as the voice of KI3T).
Las Vegas was watchable. Remember, it did go on for 5 seasons, which is 4 more then KR 08. I'm not saying it was Emmy award winning material, but it had it's moments. I'd have to disagree with you about the acting. There was charisma from the actors. They did the best with what was written for them. It's too bad what they had written for them wasn't KR, but some team fighting crime with a transformer.
B.R.O wrote:The place where the show "stunk" the most was the writing, it was just simply bad... It had a lot of inconsistencies, the dialogue was poorly written, it followed the laws of physics and common sense only when it really felt like it and characterization was poor at best. They even had some "growing up" moments for KI3T in the early episodes (with for instance watching the old western), which I actually liked, but they never followed up on, it felt like just about every episode was written by a different person that hadn't read the scripts to any of the other episodes. It gave the feeling that they actually had one competent guy in the writing staff, but he was fired early on for making the other retards is the crew look bad.
You are not going to get an argument here about the writing. The writers simply didn't understand what made KR TOS work, until it was too late. You have to give GST more blame here. He's the one who came up with the cockamamie transforming into other vehicles (READ Fords, not Mustang variants). We know it was demanded by Ford, but the concept was garbage in the first place. They never had a chance to follow up of KI3T learning, not enough episodes in the arc to make it feel substantial to us. There was a sense of community about the first block of episodes; it wasn't always bulletproof, but it was no worse than some other show's continuity. And the last comment really should have been in reverse, there was more competency in the last 5 episodes than the first 12.
B.R.O wrote:So yeah, the show was not just ruined by GST, but rather by the combination of a lot of things...
Bro, there's a good saying that really applies here:

The Fish stinks from the Head down.

The show runner is like the captain of a ship. He is ultimately the one responsible for the daily running of the show. If it works, he gets the praise, and hopefully funnels it back to the staff. If not, the blame is his.