KIFT/ Knight 4000 movie car - where did it go???

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

neps
Site Administrator
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: KIFT/ Knight 4000 movie car - where did it go???

Post by neps » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:30 pm

The auction is going on now, they're selling the two 1969 KITTs that were used (ones already sold) and the Knight 4000 coming up soon. You can see pics here:

http://knightrideronline.com/news/2009/ ... ider_k.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Auction stream is here:

http://www.premiereprops.com/streaming/auction.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They're currently on lot 682, and the Knight 4000 is 718 - the other Mustang is lot 735

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:19 pm

That was a lot of fun! I hope anyone that was interested was able to get on the site and bid. A lot of things went for way under what they are worth. Good thing you had to register to bid or I might have raised my hand and taken home a movie car for 4000. The first blue mustang that was used in Fly by Knight went for 18,500. I had mistakenly thought the car in that episode was black, but looking at the screen grab I see it's blue with a black hood. The second car like it was originally painted blue for KR but was repainted black when it appeared in Cats and Dogs II. It went for 7,500.

The Dodge stealth was confirmed to be screen used by a friend from Picture Car Warehouse who originally had possession of the car. He says that the buyer should confirm its authenticity by looking for signs of black and white paint under its hood from its days as a cop car. It went for 47,500.

Aside from the two pilot KR cars that were actioned off previously, all the other KR cars are still safely in storage. Apparently NBC is not quite ready to part with them, but don't read too much into that.

But if you are looking to build or buy a replica from the original creators, Ted Moser from Picture Car Warehouse mentioned he may be able to help out. I can look more into that if people are interested.

If you didn't get to see it online, I'll put up a video of it in a bit.
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

taoworm2323
FLAG Assistant

Post by taoworm2323 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:45 am

Sue wrote: But if you are looking to build or buy a replica from the original creators, Ted Moser from Picture Car Warehouse mentioned he may be able to help out. I can look more into that if people are interested.
Sue, is Ted Moser selling the fiberglass attack mode parts or anything else?
Please find out what he can offer us KI3T replica owners. :good:

I SO wish I had the money or else I would have snatched the 4000 up when the auction was in full swing. :cry:
"Don't tell me what I can't do!" ---John Locke

jeremy223
Rookie

Post by jeremy223 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:14 pm

I'd like to know about the fiberglass attack KITT parts as well. I got the front bumper and grills off ebay,but don't know how to get the rest of the parts.

Slade
FLAG Assistant

Post by Slade » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:05 pm

That sounds interesting Sue,wed love to hear more :)
"See ladies,what happens in Vegas,stays in...KITT"
"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing"

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:45 pm

Here is the video of the auction, sorry about the delay in getting it up.
Go check it out!

http://knightrideronline.com/videos/3025.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

govnoglava
Volunteer
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by govnoglava » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:44 am

hi, btw.........i own one of the kift 4000 prop cars that was built for the knight rider 2000 series. it is alive and well.......albeit a bit different now. as i understand it, the car was originally a stunt car for the hardcastle and mc cormick tv show. it was then converted with the kift 4000 nose for the knightrider 2000 series. after that jay orhberg took the car back and turned it into a one off show car..........the tazmobile. you can check out the car, and it's build on jay's hollywood movie car web site. the car has just been repainted, the holes for the taz filled, and is being prepped for street use. the car is for sale. not sure what i want for it.......it is way cool. tomo 562/714-2986 here's jay's website. http://www.jayohrberg.com/Taz-mobile.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

krrdr2010
FLAG Recruit

Post by krrdr2010 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:52 pm

I'm glad somebody does have it. If you need another reason why someone should do a Die-Cast Metal Version of the car-Just Look at it> :good:

govnoglava
Volunteer

Post by govnoglava » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:15 pm

hi, i bought the kift 4000 stunt / prop car off ebay a while ago. it was in a derelict state in las vegas. it was to be used in the kr 2000 series as well, but there were so many problems with the movie, many of the stunts it was supposed to participate in were scratched.

this car was actually converted to kift after it was one of the stunt / spin cars used in hardcastle & mc cormick........the coyote x. it later was converted into jay ohrberg's show car "taz-mobile", which is its present configuration.

it is under restoration. any background info, documentation or old photos of the car on the set would be much appreciated. i hope to have the car ready for barrett-jackson jan 2010. tomo

Bandit1
Operative

Post by Bandit1 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:19 pm

Sorry for bad laguage,i´m still learning english!

GREETINGS FROM GERMANY

govnoglava
Volunteer

Post by govnoglava » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:11 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hi, i ended up buying the kift 4000 stunt car on ebay. as i understand it, the car has had a pretty busy past. i'm looking for members of this board to help fill in any details, or help document the car's history.

what the car is: vw pancake motor, runs strong. it is an extremely crude welded tube chassis. only partial floorboards and surrounds are inside the car. there are weight plates , or skid plates welded on near the front suspension (i guess for weight distribution on the small jumps). four control pedals (yes, four). clutch, gas, and left brake pedal and right brake pedal (still not sure what that's all about). also a "brodie brake" hydraulic handle which works the rear brakes only to assists in skidding the car around
(as seen in many episodes of the first show it was in.......hardcastle & mc cormick). quad bilstein shocks in the rear. the car weighs almost nothing. the car has been sitting in las vegas derelict.......for years. but before kr...................

as i understand (please correct me), mike fennel had something to do in creating the car for the hardcastle & mc cormick tv series.....the coyote x. originally based on a manta montage. this car was used for skids, burnouts, broadie turns, small jumps and chase. there is also the pretty picture car, and a jump car (with different suspension etc). this one sits low, just like the picture car........so it would seem this is the car you see doing all the spinouts etc with the low suspension height. if you look at the big jump shots and some stunts, you can see the different ride heights of the two stunt cars. i don't know if this car was used in one season, or all seasons, after the delorean based model came out.

after the show, the car was re-configured as the stunt car for the tv pilot knight rider 2000. this replacement for kitt was called the kift 4000. because of scheduling and delays with the cars for the pilot (the picture car kept sinking etc), this car sat on the sidelines during filming. and the revised tv show was not picked up by the networks. i'm assuming that jay ohrberg prepped the body for that show........but i'm not sure.

after only shooting the pilot, the car went to jay ohrberg's shop in so. cal. the car went topless and the pontiac banshee-esque nose was redone, and a huge tazmanian devil was bolted on the rear end above the motor. this was jay's show car called "taz-mobile". there is a picture of it on jay's site.

i understand that the car may have been on display at disney in orlando.......but i have no pictures to prove that. how the car ended up in las vegas is beyond me.

i'm in the process of restoring the car here in long beach, california. any info. corrections, documentation, picutres on set or leads about the car would be greatly appreciated. i'm hoping to have the car at barrett-jackson jan 2010 for the public to enjoy. thanks for checking this out. tomo