watching the original series

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

aussie muscle
Recruit
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

watching the original series

Post by aussie muscle » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:41 am

i got the original series (tos) on DVD and it's been great to see KR again. it's been long enough since i've seen the show that i can't remember the stories, so it's like watching it for the first time. i'm up to disk 3 of season 2, i've notice the volume of model kitt's and 'fake kitts' seems to increase steadily. by fake kitts, i mean the jumper kitt which is obvious that it's not the proper car, from the wheels being set too far into the body and where you can see through the gaps between body and chassis :roll: . did they think we wouldn't notice? at least the incidence of tires squealing on dirt isn't done as often as early on. i've noticed a few times when they've had "issues" with the hood/lights/nose bits lining up properly (sometimes looks like the hood has popped up).

i also notice that michael seems to act as tho he enjoys the jumps (he doesn't actually do the jump itself), giving a hoo-ha (yee-hah?) afterwards, that he doesn't do in the earlier episodes.

anyway :good: to see the show again, especially in-order and in quick succession (don't have to wait a week between episodes).

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: watching the original series

Post by CJaguar442 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:56 am

awesome :good: :good:

it is a great feeling watch the golden age of television
Re-elect Mayor Goldie wilson, Progress is his middle name!
Save the Clocktower!
Go Boston Red Sox! Go Boston Bruins! Go Boston Celtics!
Go the distance and he will come!

RenanrRinaldi
Recruit

Post by RenanrRinaldi » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:04 pm

I rented all seasons of the original series from NetMovies (our NetFlix) with portuguese subtitles to my mom. What a disappointment.

The episodes were all out of order! Here in Brazil the pilot is in Disc 7!! That's right! 7! So sad that they don't even bother to organize the episodes correctly!

Worse: the series finale is the Knight Rider 2000 movie.
Mike: Next time, calculate faster.
KITT: Were you injured?
Mike: No
KITT: Then my calculations were fast enough.

aussie muscle
Recruit
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by aussie muscle » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:53 pm

yes i noticed that too, unfortunately too late (ie when got to disk 7). also Knight Rider 2000 is in the season 1 box, instead of at the end of season 4 where it should be chronographically....

knight_Sam
Recruit

Post by knight_Sam » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:31 am

I DOWNLOADED TOS A FEW MONTHS BACK & TRUST ME IT HAS BEEN AN AWESOME FEELING TO RELIVE THE GOLDEN DAYS WHEN I WAS 5 WHEN I FIRST SAW KITT TODAY AFTER 23 YEARS I STILL HAVE THE SAME LOVE FOR KITT...PS: TOS DVD NOT AVAILABLE IN INDIA..

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:51 am

^ But apparently keyboards with a Caps Lock are available in India. =P

Aaaanyway, I'm in the middle of watching TOS myself. It varies from hilarious to... no, it's actually just hilarious. It delivers that specific flavor of cheese and '80s kitch that I particularly enjoy.

Having said that, the stunt mishaps are glaring. In the first season they're all over the place, later on (I'm still in Season 2) they just change direction. The regular car looks a lot better and more consistent from scene to scene, but I certainly giggle a lot when they cut away from the awkward landings. In "Race for life", the car's tail actually bumps on a truck during the landing. Whoops.

But all this is good and fun in its own way. I can even sit through the little, annoying jokes of KITT feeling sorry for other automobiles, jokes obviously geared toward a younger audience. The only thing that really bothers me and I have trouble looking past is the number of unecessary scenes; it seems when they got a higher budget, they decided to put it all to use. They hit turbo boost to get past freaking EVERYTHING, probably because Michael and KITT are too cool to hit the breaks instead at 40 kilometers per hour. Show-offs.

SadArticle
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by SadArticle » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:57 am

I'm watching the original series again, too - picking random favourites from the first to the third seasons - and I love it. It had real heart, not style over substance. David Hasselhoff obviously really believed in his character, because Michael Knight is so real - an ordinary, amiable, genuine guy. And his talking car :wink: It's easy to see why so many damsels in distress would trust Michael with their problems, because he is caring and friendly with everyone. I would like one of his patented hugs, please!

Kitt, however, is and always will be my favourite. I love that car. He has a cracking range of one-liners, delivered to perfection by William Daniels, and the car is stunning, too. :mrgreen:
We'll never get the smell out of the upholstery - Kitt, Knightlines