michael and kitts last mission in 1986 ????

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

james olden
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

michael and kitts last mission in 1986 ????

Post by james olden » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:00 pm

can someone tell me this situation did michael knight leave the foundation at the end of scent of roses when he said were going home were going back to the foundation was he just bringing kitt back then actually leaving for good or was him and kitt returning to flag for good.because i read that this was actually flags last known mission til 2008. please shed some light on this situation victor kros do you know ??????? someone comment back thanx
On the Quest for filling in the gaps from right after after Scent of Roses 1986- Knight Rider 2008

Matthew
Site Administrator
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: michael and kitts last mission in 1986 ????

Post by Matthew » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:33 am

Hi James,

The Scent of Roses was originally written as the series finale. However, since it was designed to leave the story of Michael and KITT open ended, NBC decided to move it to an early season slot during the January Sweeps.

The intent of this ending was picked up in the Knight Rider 2000 TV movie though. Here it was established that Michael had stayed at the Foundation until 1990, at which time, he left his family behind to begin another new life as a bass charter fisherman. :good:

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:39 am

Matthew wrote:Hi James,

The Scent of Roses was originally written as the series finale. However, since it was designed to leave the story of Michael and KITT open ended, NBC decided to move it to an early season slot during the January Sweeps.

The intent of this ending was picked up in the Knight Rider 2000 TV movie though. Here it was established that Michael had stayed at the Foundation until 1990, at which time, he left his family behind to begin another new life as a bass charter fisherman. :good:

Matt
A bass charter fisherman? I hate the idea! Thank god he became a lifeguard instead afterward LOL :mrgreen:

Seriously though I can stomach him leaving the foundation in 1990 since by that time KITT would have been running already into obsolescence anyway but him becoming a Bass fisherman? Yikes!

Rainack
FLAG Recruit

Post by Rainack » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:49 am

PunkMaister wrote:
Matthew wrote:Hi James,

Matt
A bass charter fisherman? I hate the idea! Thank god he became a lifeguard instead afterward LOL :mrgreen:

Seriously though I can stomach him leaving the foundation in 1990 since by that time KITT would have been running already into obsolescence anyway but him becoming a Bass fisherman? Yikes!
Why does KITT have to become obsolete? I like to think that he has undergone continuous upgrades.
To read my fanfictions, go to fanfiction.net and search for my screen name, Rainack.

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:22 pm

Rainack wrote:Why does KITT have to become obsolete? I like to think that he has undergone continuous upgrades.
I think this has been widely explained before that you can only upgrade old hardware so much, I mean that the reason you are not using an 80's Macintosh or PC but a modern one despite how many upgrades you made to those systems it got to a point where a new system had to replace the old one.TOS KITT considering how advanced it was for it;s time probably had maybe even a Megabytes of RAM which was mostly unheard off in computing those days when computers usually only came in 32K,64K,128K, 256, 512K etc, given that trend I do not doubt that KR08 had terabytes of RAM by comparison. The CPU speeds and capabilities are extremely different as well, an 8 bit Z80 does not come close in capability to an Intel Neutrino or 686 etc. The KI2K CPU could not process more than 8 bits of data at a time while the new one could process vast amounts more.

Rainack
FLAG Recruit

Post by Rainack » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:05 pm

PunkMaister wrote:
Rainack wrote:Why does KITT have to become obsolete? I like to think that he has undergone continuous upgrades.
I think this has been widely explained before that you can only upgrade old hardware so much, I mean that the reason you are not using an 80's Macintosh or PC but a modern one despite how many upgrades you made to those systems it got to a point where a new system had to replace the old one.TOS KITT considering how advanced it was for it;s time probably had maybe even a Megabytes of RAM which was mostly unheard off in computing those days when computers usually only came in 32K,64K,128K, 256, 512K etc, given that trend I do not doubt that KR08 had terabytes of RAM by comparison. The CPU speeds and capabilities are extremely different as well, an 8 bit Z80 does not come close in capability to an Intel Neutrino or 686 etc. The KI2K CPU could not process more than 8 bits of data at a time while the new one could process vast amounts more.
Ahhh, but KITT is more than the CPU he resides in, he is a program, which can be moved from one CPU to another. His core programming could be continuously upgraded so that he could be out there today, running on any processor we have out there today, or are yet to come up with. Like KI3T did when he uploaded himself to the internet to keep Torres from taking him and installing him in KARR.
To read my fanfictions, go to fanfiction.net and search for my screen name, Rainack.

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:48 pm

Rainack wrote:Ahhh, but KITT is more than the CPU he resides in, he is a program, which can be moved from one CPU to another. His core programming could be continuously upgraded so that he could be out there today, running on any processor we have out there today, or are yet to come up with. Like KI3T did when he uploaded himself to the internet to keep Torres from taking him and installing him in KARR.
Oh you mean the AI. Yes the Core program can be moved from one chip to anotber. But had they done that the core program would have just kept growing as KITT would have just kept learning over the years. Now picture this KIT3K was just an infant and his core program took terabytes of date which is why he had to dump himself as packets all over the internet. If KIt2K would have remained active to the present being moved to ever more advanced hardware I cannot fathom how massive it would be. Not too mention that given how fast they can learn and process data an AI that gets to be active for over 25 years would probably become an intellect greater than our own and that is something not even FLAG was ready to do.

Rainack
FLAG Recruit

Post by Rainack » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:13 pm

PunkMaister wrote:
Rainack wrote:Ahhh, but KITT is more than the CPU he resides in, he is a program, which can be moved from one CPU to another. His core programming could be continuously upgraded so that he could be out there today, running on any processor we have out there today, or are yet to come up with. Like KI3T did when he uploaded himself to the internet to keep Torres from taking him and installing him in KARR.
Oh you mean the AI. Yes the Core program can be moved from one chip to anotber. But had they done that the core program would have just kept growing as KITT would have just kept learning over the years. Now picture this KIT3K was just an infant and his core program took terabytes of date which is why he had to dump himself as packets all over the internet. If KIt2K would have remained active to the present being moved to ever more advanced hardware I cannot fathom how massive it would be. Not too mention that given how fast they can learn and process data an AI that gets to be active for over 25 years would probably become an intellect greater than our own and that is something not even FLAG was ready to do.
I'm sure they would have come up with some way to combat the growth problem. I just don't think Michael or Bonnie would allow KITT to be shut down, as that would equate euthenasia, since KITT is a sentient being.

I imagine that KITT's least accessed files would be archived in an external system and that KITT would have access to that as he needs it. So that he would know he has these particular memories stored elseware, he would have a file telling him he's had these experiences, and where to locate the memories.

This is just my opinion of course, as I can't see Michael or Bonnie telling KITT, "Sorry, you're files grown to big, we're just going to shut you down."

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:41 pm

Rainack wrote: I'm sure they would have come up with some way to combat the growth problem. I just don't think Michael or Bonnie would allow KITT to be shut down, as that would equate euthenasia, since KITT is a sentient being.

I imagine that KITT's least accessed files would be archived in an external system and that KITT would have access to that as he needs it. So that he would know he has these particular memories stored elseware, he would have a file telling him he's had these experiences, and where to locate the memories.

This is just my opinion of course, as I can't see Michael or Bonnie telling KITT, "Sorry, you're files grown to big, we're just going to shut you down."
Well you are right I cannot imagine it either but that is the big problem with AI and whay I'm against it's development in the first place. It just conjures too many images of the Terminator or the Cylons in New Battlestar Galactica that kind of deal...

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:14 am

That reminds me of the scene with Robert Deniro in Frankenstein movie when he asks Dr.Frankenstein what did you think I would do after You gave me life?What was his intention,his purpose in this world.Creating life just for the soul purpose of proving to the world that it can be done is no reason to bring in a life.

Rainack
FLAG Recruit

Post by Rainack » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:45 am

Boy have we gotten off topic. :)

Yes, I too fear that if someone acctually succeeds in creating an AI it will end up being like Terminator or BSG. With the growth in our technology, it is only a matter of time, though. I do hope they have the sense enough to program it like KITT for the preservation of human life.

ULTRASUBS
Volunteer

Post by ULTRASUBS » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:43 am

Rainack wrote:Boy have we gotten off topic. :)

Yes, I too fear that if someone actually succeeds in creating an AI it will end up being like Terminator or BSG. With the growth in our technology, it is only a matter of time, though. I do hope they have the sense enough to program it like KITT for the preservation of human life.
Many valid points here but GOD............. some of the "GEEK" type don't believe in GOD, they just think the answer to everything is in answered with equations.

I'm not saying that I'm "Joe Church " I can't even remember the last time I went but somebody would need to program it with a belief system that doesn't only see one side.

AI MUST be programed to understand that killing is BAD and protecting ALL LIFE especially HUMAN is the most important directive.

AI must also be told to stay "balanced" and not go reading the Bible and flood the Earth for 40 days and nights.
AI must be told that they were brought into this world as a GIFT ............... A GIFT as we were given aqnd the future is our s together.

Not to sound old fashioned but we tend to remember the good and not the bad aspects that technology brings us.
BSG and Terminator are a WAKE UP CALL.