OK is this show canned or what?

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

WIBoomer1
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: OK is this show canned or what?

Post by WIBoomer1 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:41 pm

PunkMaister wrote:Any new show that does not link both the TOS and the current former show would be worthless from the Getgo!
Or..........

It would be something completely different, and would only link from TOS. For example, the original KARR CPU could be used, etc, without having to muddle back thru KR 08 to see if it fits canonically.

So many people have commented about Sarah and Mike's back stories being too intertwined, that it didn't allow Mike the same "flexibility" with women that his father had. How many times did Sarah look uncomfortable in watching Mike make out or be close to another woman? I'm not discounting KR 08, but saying that it's very much a real possibility that a future franchise might.

Harry Singh Jr.
Operative

Post by Harry Singh Jr. » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:18 pm

The producer of the pilot had the right ideas. But it's too late to cry over spilled mild. While the show may be dead as a series, who's not to say maybe NBC can get together with Hoff and maybe make another 2hr movie somewhere later down the road.

Super Flash
Rookie

Post by Super Flash » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:22 am

Hello There Everyone, :D

First off I prefer either Super Flash or Michael. I never liked nor cared for Mike. Next here is a post that I have to address since I believe that my point was missed. 8)

"Hi there Mike, I get where you are trying to go but Trek is a different beast than Rider. In Trek like in DC comics Superman you can even make an Else worlds story like the current Trek movie, set it up hundreds of years in the future or during the Pre-Kirk era like Enterprise was."

The name is Michael or Super Flash. I get that Star Trek is different beast then Knight Rider and that is not what I was going here. I was saying that someone new came in at Paramount and liked Star Trek and wanted to restart the franchise. Now, with Star Trek as a TV Series there is a chance that it will be back in some form or another in a year or two now that CBS has the rights. I am not sure what you mean or talking about DC comment has to do with Star Trek or Knight Rider. Superman is set in the present day in movies and in the comics while Star Trek depending on what TV show or movie you are talking about is set in the distant future like 100 to 300 years. I get the difference and that is not what I was talking about at all. Again, I was simply stating that someone came took over and got Star Trek rolling again. :kittside:

"K.R does not have that kind of a latitude.So unless a new show comes up a decade or more after the current one then it might be somewhat acceptable for KR to once again take a new form although how do you top a car that can transform and has multiple weapon systems that make it Airwolf on the ground literally?"

Who says that Knight Rider doesn't or will not at some point have that kind of latitude? Why are you so negative here and countering everything I say here? 10 years or so, why so far in the future? There are dozens of reasons as to why this version of Knight Rider failed and they have been discussed at length here by me and others here since March. What do you have against a car that can transform anyway? Isn't that what the original Kitt did in the original Knight Rider during the final season with Super Pursuit Mode and Convertible mode? Had there been a fifth season who knows what that car could have done? As for topping that I am not sure but, that was not the cause for the problems that plagued the show. Also, who says that at some point in time that someone new comes in to NBC Programming and brings Knight Rider back? Why is that so hard to fathom? :kittconv:

"And despite whatever misgivings some may have had about the former current show it at least had a footing from the original as we saw Michael Knight Sr in the Pilot and Jr mentioned his mother who was killed in the pilot in the show so it does have a continuation. Any new show that does not link both the TOS and the current former show would be worthless from the Getgo!" 8)

I guess but, I am not sure what you mean here. Look, I am not here to debate this and have you counter act my positive thinking here and hoping that the show will be back. Look, I love Knight Rider as much as the next person and want the show to still be on the air. For some reason you want everyone to believe otherwise and feel as you do about it. I am sorry but, that is not happening here. :good:

I am done now and going to bed. Take Care,
Michael not Mike P. Nepa :kitt:

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant
Knight Rider Lives!!!

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:27 am

WIBoomer1 wrote:
PunkMaister wrote:Any new show that does not link both the TOS and the current former show would be worthless from the Getgo!
Or..........

It would be something completely different, and would only link from TOS. For example, the original KARR CPU could be used, etc, without having to muddle back thru KR 08 to see if it fits canonically.

So many people have commented about Sarah and Mike's back stories being too intertwined, that it didn't allow Mike the same "flexibility" with women that his father had. How many times did Sarah look uncomfortable in watching Mike make out or be close to another woman? I'm not discounting KR 08, but saying that it's very much a real possibility that a future franchise might.
That would be the equivalent of of using an 8 bit Z-80 to run a top of the line server just FYI...

Super Flash
Rookie

Post by Super Flash » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:33 am

Hello There Everyone, :D

We can debate what caused the down fall of Knight Rider and you can believe the show is gone but, I am not. The moderaters of this site have not confired that the show is done and neither has NBC. Until I hear that then I will move on. As for NBC yes, I agree that they do need to get their act together. I do hope that this version is back by next spring which is 2010 or by September 2010. So, we will see on that. Now, I am off to bed and take care and good night. : :kitt:

Michael P. Nepa :kittconv:
Knight Rider Lives!!!

WIBoomer1
FLAG Recruit

Post by WIBoomer1 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:44 pm

PunkMaister wrote:That would be the equivalent of of using an 8 bit Z-80 to run a top of the line server just FYI...
Punk, you missed the point. KR 08 tricked the lot of us into believing that the vehicle that was called KARR was actually the 82 KARR, when in fact it wasn't. If a new spin-off ignores the KR 08 timeline, then we could get what we all thought we were going to get...they could insert the CPU found after KITT vs. KARR, and continue the story that we should have got, instead of Robo-Jox, transforming, cyborg-kidnapping I AM KARR....GRRRRR!

Just like KR 2K and TKR have been ignored, then so shall KR 08...do you see the light now?

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:28 pm

WIBoomer1 wrote:
PunkMaister wrote:That would be the equivalent of of using an 8 bit Z-80 to run a top of the line server just FYI...
Punk, you missed the point. KR 08 tricked the lot of us into believing that the vehicle that was called KARR was actually the 82 KARR, when in fact it wasn't. If a new spin-off ignores the KR 08 timeline, then we could get what we all thought we were going to get...they could insert the CPU found after KITT vs. KARR, and continue the story that we should have got, instead of Robo-Jox, transforming, cyborg-kidnapping I AM KARR....GRRRRR!

Just like KR 2K and TKR have been ignored, then so shall KR 08...do you see the light now?
That's not going to happen either especially if what they do is make a reimagined KR show with the timeline reset into the present with a totally different cast from any of the previous shows. David would have no part in it except maybe in flash from 20 years or more into our future with flying cars zooming overhead? But then again that also is not going to take place, truth be told all we have to look forward too is conventions and the ocassional car show. If KR08 is indeed dead and buried as most now claim. I have to add that of all the Franchise fandoms comunities I've joined over the years this one is the most divisive by far!

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant

Post by CJaguar442 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:10 pm

:? I am still confused is it cancel or not. we must not give up the fight for season 2. we need to organize a march on NBC demanding it back reguardless of our dislikes of the show was presented. we need to unite against a common evil NBCU and show them we are not cowards and defend the series to the death!!
Re-elect Mayor Goldie wilson, Progress is his middle name!
Save the Clocktower!
Go Boston Red Sox! Go Boston Bruins! Go Boston Celtics!
Go the distance and he will come!

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:59 am

CJaguar442 wrote::? I am still confused is it cancel or not. we must not give up the fight for season 2. we need to organize a march on NBC demanding it back reguardless of our dislikes of the show was presented. we need to unite against a common evil NBCU and show them we are not cowards and defend the series to the death!!
If we were a cohesive fandom we could but we are far from it

WIBoomer1
FLAG Recruit

Post by WIBoomer1 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:41 pm

PunkMaister wrote:
That's not going to happen either especially if what they do is make a reimagined KR show with the timeline reset into the present with a totally different cast from any of the previous shows. David would have no part in it except maybe in flash from 20 years or more into our future with flying cars zooming overhead? But then again that also is not going to take place, truth be told all we have to look forward too is conventions and the ocassional car show. If KR08 is indeed dead and buried as most now claim. I have to add that of all the Franchise fandoms comunities I've joined over the years this one is the most divisive by far!
I'll explain this slowly one last time. KR 2K is the only series that has direct ties to KR TOS (Michael and Devon, explaining what happened inbetween TOS and 2K). Both TKR and KR 08 have more or less threw away any continuity that might have existed before it, as they didn't tie each of the predecessor's story lines, characters, etc (TKR: KITT in a Box, Mysterious noface Michael Knight at the end - KR 08: KARRe, Both Graiman characters, Traceuer). KR 2K doesn't exist in either TKR or KR 08's lineline, and TKR doesn't exist in KR 08's.

So, even though you may not want to hear this, by RESETTING the timeline, ala a reboot, retcon, whatever you want to call it, (we don't have time travel, so a JJ Abrams reset/alt universe couldn't/shouldn't happen), any new incarnation of KR will not take any pieces of what came before it. And it will for the most part be better off without them.

If whomever brings back KR can figure away for Hasselhoff to appear, then so be it. I'm not against David having any participation, but I don't think you need to have him be in any future version if it can be done correctly. The most important character of the driver of the vehicle has to have the quailities of a Knight. Not a vigilante, but a defender. Honor and Justice. Righting what is wrong. Championing the cause of the innocent, the powerless, the helpless. Maybe have David back as a villian, not Garthe per say, but akin to what Richard Hatch did in the reimagined BSG. Have his character be recurring, and play an important purpose throughout the series.

KR 08 had too many things stacked against it for it to make plot sense. Why have Sarah be Mike's childhood GF - lover - daughter of the person who created KITT - related at all to the mission leader? Why have the CIA ops people? No reason really for Zoe or Billy to be involved. How many thousand people worked/lived in the SCC, c'mon.

KR 08 is dead, long live KR.

Get back to the basics, but be more original with how you get the driver in place (baptism by fire), for the vehicle to make sense (no off the wall capabilities - transforming into other cars), and for the missions to make sense (like the last 5 eps, for the most part) and across the nation.

You'll see this phoenix rise once more from the ashes, but it's not going to happen overnight.

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant

Post by CJaguar442 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:14 pm

we must not give up the fight for season 2. we need to organize a march on NBC demanding it back reguardless of our dislikes of the show was presented. we need to unite against a common evil NBCU and show them we are not cowards and defend the series to the death!!
Re-elect Mayor Goldie wilson, Progress is his middle name!
Save the Clocktower!
Go Boston Red Sox! Go Boston Bruins! Go Boston Celtics!
Go the distance and he will come!

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:34 pm

KR 08 had too many things stacked against it for it to make plot sense. Why have Sarah be Mike's childhood GF - lover - daughter of the person who created KITT - related at all to the mission leader? Why have the CIA ops people? No reason really for Zoe or Billy to be involved. How many thousand people worked/lived in the SCC, c'mon.

KR 08 is dead, long live KR.
Good points made there! I think the producers and writers did just about everything wrong on this. I constantly went: -Yes, that's how it's do... eh wait a sec, WTF? A Sci-Fi series doesn't mean you should make everything imaginary and logic defying. Loads of computer graphics made everything so darn boring and childish. You never experienced anything realistic beacuse it was all computer generated. Maybe that doesn't bother you but it sure is frustruating to me and the majority of the viewers that chose to switch the channel everytime KR08 was on.
And as you (WIBoomer1) so elgantly said, how could Mike's childhood-girlfriend Sarah be the daughter of the creator of Ki3t? Coincidence? You tell me! Would that make Sarah Ki3t's sister as they almost were about to say but didn't, CHILDISH and CHEESY!
Too much of this new age way of doing a TV show is bringing in the CIA, FBI, UPS, UPN... the whole alphabet, WHY? This is a one-man-and-his-car-investigating-crime type of deal and there's no need of bringing in another agency. In fact, during the missions they should have been fighting over jurisdictions and whether or not Mike and Ki3t are allowed to proceed with the investigations.
We could carry along all day but it won't do us any good now. I've said this before but why are producers and writers ignoring message boards like this? Maybe they don't? Maybe they are observing our discussions, I don't know. All I can say is that message boards like KRO kind of speaks for the whole fandom! I can almost bet other communities agrees with the critisism being made here. Not that everyone reaches consesus on what needs to be changed and what must not but we could most certainly agree on some things. If they are listening they should be trying for some changes and I know they were in the middle of the season when all the rants began bla bla bla. Atleast you could do an interview where you would explain things. Interviews were you actually say something and not the type of Q's and A's that we are used to: -Well, I'm not going to elaborate on that. or - You'll have to wait and see for yourself.
Michael: Kitt what matters to me is who you are not what you look like. Sure we don't have the car so we can't turbo boost so we can't go over 200 miles an hour but it was all icing on the cake anyway