Why should KR08 continue as 'series'?

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

necrophilissimo
Rookie
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Why should KR08 continue as 'series'?

Post by necrophilissimo » Wed May 27, 2009 8:19 am

Here's my point;

Given NBC's lack-of-support and information, I don't think KR will return as a TV series very soon. However, I'm not ruling out the possibility of going "Firefly". In that particular case the TV show lasted only one (shortened) season, yet it sold so many DVDs the production company took another crack at it with Serenity (the movie).

I know there are copyrights preventing them from going theatrical (as the movie rights are owned by Glen A. Larson), but I can't see any reason preventing them from doing a TV movie or two.

In fact, I strongly believe if they want KR to really succeed in financial perspective, they have to either

A) produce a series of TV/Direct-to-DVD movies
B) abandon the 22-episode season structure and go, say, with the British TV series seasons of 12 episodes.

In both cases they would have longer production time (no cutting down KARR combat scenes this time), bigger buck-per-minute ratio, more time to finalize scripts (say goodbye to so called 'filler' episodes) and potentially bigger audiences (just compare the ratings and reviews of the KR08 movie to the series).
TAGAP: The Apocalyptic Game About Penguins - Join the penguin apocalypse!

RenanrRinaldi
Recruit

Re: Why should KR08 continue as 'series'?

Post by RenanrRinaldi » Wed May 27, 2009 9:30 am

Option B would be great. Less episodes, more quality, better than no-episodes at all.
Mike: Next time, calculate faster.
KITT: Were you injured?
Mike: No
KITT: Then my calculations were fast enough.

GT500KR
FLAG Recruit

Post by GT500KR » Wed May 27, 2009 1:18 pm

If the movie comes out, I hope they keep the GT500KR, it is just a bad-ass looking car. I hope they dont come with some kind of concept.........some concepts are truly nasty looking.

anywho, i want a 2nd season, i dont watch alot of shows, just Smallville, The Office, American Chopper and formerly Knight Rider.
"My wife asks me, why you do those burnouts? Well.....you do it for the kids, you know, Im not being immature. You just.....well you do it for the kids."
~Jay Leno

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Wed May 27, 2009 5:43 pm

I would go with option B as well, but instead of 12, I'd say 15-17. Maybe if we can sacrifice a few episodes, they can do a real Shelby when they Turbo Boost! :D

Reasons why KR08 should stay(NBC should read this):
-Pre-established fanbase filled with loyal fans
-People are sick and tired of cop dramas and reality TV
-KITT and KI3T have fanboys/fangirls!
-It's well known world over! :D
-It's more enjoyable than like 95% of the TV shows out there, especially compared to network TV!
-People will buy KR merchandise!

If anyone has something to add, feel free to add their reasons.
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:00 pm

May I ask where does the British option comes from? Would the show be recast if it did? What? :?

I would be happy with option A compared to what we have right now which is nothing, zilch, nada!

rwmu
Operative

Post by rwmu » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:46 am

I think you might have become a tad confused PunkMaister, when they mentioned British Option they just ment shorter seasons. British Cult Style TV shows tend to run somewhere between 6 and 13 episodes a season (although in the UK we tend to use series instead of season as the descirption). British shows also tend to concetrate more on story than effects (though this is starting to change).
Είναι καλύτερο να θεωρηθεί ως ανόητος, από να ανοιχτεί το στόμα σας και να αφαιρεθεί όλη η αμφιβολία.

Knight94
Operative

Post by Knight94 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:47 pm

Why keep KR08 as a series? It's fun, and cool. The ideas for keeping it running could include putting it
on SciFi channel, do a new series of movies, do it as a CGI 1hr animated series, etc. But for the love of
KITT, bring back KR08!!

Garthe Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Garthe Knight » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:33 pm

Because it has SO MUCH potential. Just keep the "one man and his car" concept, this is unique on current TV.
I am rewatching the original Knight Rider right now, and it is such a great show. It's set in the 80s, but the stories and problem are timeless. It would work today, you just have to do it, and do it right.

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:45 pm

Garthe Knight wrote:Because it has SO MUCH potential. Just keep the "one man and his car" concept, this is unique on current TV.
I am rewatching the original Knight Rider right now, and it is such a great show. It's set in the 80s, but the stories and problem are timeless. It would work today, you just have to do it, and do it right.
The TOS is set in the 80's because it was filmed at that time. The only show I know that follows sort of the same kind of ideals is Leverage