Yet another arrogant Hoff interview

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: Matthew, neps, Michael Pajaro

User avatar
knightendo77
Operative
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:10 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland

Yet another arrogant Hoff interview

Post by knightendo77 » Sat May 23, 2009 10:30 am

The shop my girlfriend works in sometimes gets Irish papers in and in the magazine with the Irish Daily Mail last week there was quite a big interview with David Hasselhoff, he even takes up the whole cover.

Anyway, the paper asks him about the new series since it's just started to air in the UK and he says he wasn't even offered a cameo! He says NOTHING of the pilot movie!! He then goes on to say that the show "drove off in a different direction and failed because they forgot the most important element: me."

I'm sorry, I loved him in the original series and in Baywatch, but after reading this, reading some of the previous comments on the new series, watching that Living TV series with Scot Mills, and reading his book, AND what he did to the organisers of the KR Festival this year, I'm thinking now he's just an arrogant arse. (David HARSElhoff?)

I've a hunch that GST did have the meeting but Hasselhoff didn't like the direction the show was heading in, which is fair enough when we see the hash GST made of the beginning of the series proper. However, was that just because of what GST had in mind, or in light of this interview was it in fact because David wasn't going to be in every single episode? What if GST had asked him to appear in one episode and the "almighty" Hoff just huffed?

To say the show failed because he wasn't in it... seriously!! Who the hell does he think he is?! Reminds me of the fact that he thinks the Berlin wall came down because of him! I'm really going off him fast! So much so that I'd prefer to see other stars from the original appear if the new series got renewed on another channel, and leave the Hoff out of it!
knightendo77
"I'm a Goofy Goober."

I'm on Bebo - knightendo_phil

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 657
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:17 pm

Re: Yet another arrogant Hoff interview

Post by pheonix_knight » Sat May 23, 2009 12:00 pm

Sounds like sour grapes to me, bearing in mind he has been in the pilot and also in kr2000, conveniently forgetting that KR2000 was diabolical and he had a lot more to say in that show than in KR08.

Hoff was never the star, the car was...

He's made a career of supporting silicon chips and silicone implants...

Having said that, he never seemed to take the show so seriously when he was in it if you look at the gag reels available on the net...

User avatar
LeslieGruffod
Rookie
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:18 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Bridlington, UK
Contact:

Re: Yet another arrogant Hoff interview

Post by LeslieGruffod » Sat May 23, 2009 12:24 pm

Hey that's my childhood hero you are bagging there!

All this from an alleged interview which isn't even quoted just paraphrased out of context by someone with an axe to grind.

I dare say if the Hoff was an integral part of Knight Rider in the Devon role without the SSC "team", those first few episodes may have kept its audience.

Don't Hassel the Hoff!

User avatar
Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops
Posts: 2716
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:45 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Yet another arrogant Hoff interview

Post by Lost Knight » Sat May 23, 2009 12:44 pm

Considering how badly the series fell on its face, I think Hasselhoff has every right to criticize it and say his absence is what doomed the show. Of course he's self-absorbed—he's a celebrity! Is that really news after all this time? He was arguably just as big as K.I.T.T. was in the original series and the original would've been a very different show without Hasselhoff's passion coming through in his acting. It's like people complaining about Arnold Schwarzenegger missing from the new Terminator: Salvation movie. Was he needed? No. Was he sorely missed? Yes.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

User avatar
knightofthephoenix
Operative
Posts: 205
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:20 pm

Re: Yet another arrogant Hoff interview

Post by knightofthephoenix » Sat May 23, 2009 1:25 pm

I suggest you buy a copy of the Knight Rider Companion if you want to know what David thought about Knight Rider 2000. He didn't "conveniently forget" anything.

Yeah, the "Hoff" probably has a big ego, a lot of stars do. Not saying that's wonderful, but before writing him off as arrogant, there's also a lot out there that also suggests he's a decent person who's done some good. I don't know him so I can't really say either way.

User avatar
knightendo77
Operative
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:10 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland

Re: Yet another arrogant Hoff interview

Post by knightendo77 » Sat May 23, 2009 2:36 pm

I agree, he's done a lot of good but I don't like being accused of having an axe to grind or taking something out of context, I know how to read and am mature enough to understand it. I also have no axe to grind, I bought his book because I was a fan after all. But my opinion HAS changed! I didn't want it to, but it did. The Hoff back on his KR and Baywatch days will always be my childhood hero, but The Hoff of today is just a different, unlikable person to me.

And what he did in regards to the organizers of the KR Festival, a charity event, is unforgiveable!
knightendo77
"I'm a Goofy Goober."

I'm on Bebo - knightendo_phil

User avatar
LeslieGruffod
Rookie
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:18 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Bridlington, UK
Contact:

Re: Yet another arrogant Hoff interview

Post by LeslieGruffod » Sat May 23, 2009 2:51 pm

Then post the article in its entirety. Most of it was paraphrasing. I don't like my childhood hero being accused of being arrogant because of a news paper article -- how much can any tabloid article be trusted? Taking the "Michael" out of the Hoff has become a fashionable thing since he donned on his red trunks.

Yes he's a flawed individual as is every person on the planet. But this guy has done so much for others in his career. Especially sick and dying children who idolised him.

Again, the media only picks up on the negative. I'm sure there are a thousand personal stories from Hoff fans over the years that never get to see the light of day, that show just what a generous human being he is.

It's pretty hard to be a superhuman when the media has it in for you. And let's face it the media has had the Hoff on its hitlist ever since Baywatch!

Unless you actually have had personal contact with the individual yourself, your opinion has been formed and tainted by things you've read.

Oh and I still think Knight Rider would have had more of a chance if they brought him back for a few episodes.

User avatar
knightofthephoenix
Operative
Posts: 205
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:20 pm

Re: Yet another arrogant Hoff interview

Post by knightofthephoenix » Sat May 23, 2009 3:38 pm

knightendo77, you seem really pissed about the KR Festival. You do realize it's possible the guy really couldn't be there, right?

I really don't want to sit here defending David Hasselhoff, but you're sort of reaching with all this.

So the guy has an ego, likes to get drunk and probably did either hint or say the show wouldn't have sucked or been canceled if he was in it. Who the hell cares?

I'd say when you put everything in context, Knight Rider fans were lucky to have someone like David, versus a real egotistical type or someone who now detests what he used to be a part of. Peter Weller and Robocop come to mind.

DevonStyles
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 353
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2003 3:00 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: MI

Re: Yet another arrogant Hoff interview

Post by DevonStyles » Sat May 23, 2009 4:03 pm

but after reading this, reading some of the previous comments on the new series, watching that Living TV series with Scot Mills, and reading his book, AND what he did to the organisers of the KR Festival this year, I'm thinking now he's just an arrogant arse.


The Hoff is Knight Rider. The Hoff has kept Knight rider alive for 20+ years. The Hoff has made numerous mentions of the the show that made him famous 20 + years ago. The Hoff has done more for KR then Justin or a mustang could ever dream of doing.

As far as the festival, I did not know the HOff had a signed contract to be there. YOu can't hold The Hoff accountable for what someone else or one of his people said.... David probally has 10 people working for him before you would ever get to him. No one who ever appeared on an Variation of KR has the star power of the Hoff.
If the HOff would have appeared it would have been simply crazy. Well they got almost a full year to work something out for 2010.

As far as The Hoff's contractual aggreements he has signed on to do America's got talent. They pay him to be there. That's his job. Not hanging out with KR fans. He does that because he wants too. Not because he has too.
Besides how many men want to go hang out with their ex-wife? She even married a guy names Michael Knight... lol Tell me that would have not been awkward for the HOff. Honestly I can't blame him for not wanting to be in a situation like that.

As crazy as it sounds, THe Hoff don't owe us anything. He was just an actor who got paid for a job. David is the one who built his legacy. I am willing to bet money that a year or two from now Justin is not doing interviews bringing up Knight Rider or making any references to Kitt saying pick me up buddy. Adding the Hoff in the knight rider 09 would have added viewers. It might not have saved the show from being lame but it might have saved it.

My last point in making. david has done more for KR then any one person ever involved with KR. Comercials, and merch plus who know how much else. Even hinting back at KR in episodes of baywatch etc. David is the guy people see and think Knight Rider. No one else can say that.
edited by the good folks at knightrideronline

User avatar
Skav
FLAG Operative
Posts: 1999
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: England, UK
Contact:

Re: Yet another arrogant Hoff interview

Post by Skav » Sat May 23, 2009 5:18 pm

knightendo77 wrote:I agree, he's done a lot of good but I don't like being accused of having an axe to grind or taking something out of context, I know how to read and am mature enough to understand it. I also have no axe to grind, I bought his book because I was a fan after all. But my opinion HAS changed! I didn't want it to, but it did. The Hoff back on his KR and Baywatch days will always be my childhood hero, but The Hoff of today is just a different, unlikable person to me.

And what he did in regards to the organizers of the KR Festival, a charity event, is unforgiveable!



That's a tad harsh, mate, Hasselhoff has done plenty of KR related events in the past and charity events. He has a busy schedule these days and back when the event was being organised, he had that Talent show going on.

David has always been a bit up his own wotsit but that's part of his charm for me because it's hillarious that he actually thinks he's a good actor when he's not.

But like someone else said, his passion showed through in his acting in the original show but he overracted. Big time.

Michael Long
Volunteer
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Yet another arrogant Hoff interview

Post by Michael Long » Sat May 23, 2009 8:39 pm

Hey guys, i just read this thread...

this is a discussion about an interview, thats not even posted in here...

David might have a big ego, but i somehow doubt, he chose such hard words...

I'd be thankful for being able to read the whole deal.

kitt34
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 327
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2003 1:42 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Contact:

Re: Yet another arrogant Hoff interview

Post by kitt34 » Sat May 23, 2009 10:25 pm

Lost Knight wrote:Considering how badly the series fell on its face, I think Hasselhoff has every right to criticize it and say his absence is what doomed the show. Of course he's self-absorbed—he's a celebrity! Is that really news after all this time? He was arguably just as big as K.I.T.T. was in the original series and the original would've been a very different show without Hasselhoff's passion coming through in his acting. It's like people complaining about Arnold Schwarzenegger missing from the new Terminator: Salvation movie. Was he needed? No. Was he sorely missed? Yes.



You got that right.

User avatar
KITT
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: SLC
Contact:

Re: Yet another arrogant Hoff interview

Post by KITT » Sat May 23, 2009 10:58 pm

i can see why he's pissed.. he was supposed to be in the show and they decided to go in another direction without him. i would be pissed too, especially if it was the show that made me famous.

besides. he was doing AGT during the festival. i know why certain people are pissed about him not showing up, and that irritates me too, but can't help his schedule.
Lady: "I bet you're tall, dark, and handsome."
KITT: "I'm definitely dark and handsome, I'm only tall when I'm climbing a steep incline."
http://www.dhasselhoff.net

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 659
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:52 pm

Re: Yet another arrogant Hoff interview

Post by PunkMaister » Sat May 23, 2009 11:13 pm

What does it matter if he badmouthed the show or not? Is over, the franchise is now officially forever dead and buried AMEN!

User avatar
KITT
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: SLC
Contact:

Re: Yet another arrogant Hoff interview

Post by KITT » Sat May 23, 2009 11:16 pm

punkmeister, are you idolizing umbragom/gammahawk or something? all i see is the same thing over and over on every thread.
Lady: "I bet you're tall, dark, and handsome."
KITT: "I'm definitely dark and handsome, I'm only tall when I'm climbing a steep incline."
http://www.dhasselhoff.net

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 659
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:52 pm

Re: Yet another arrogant Hoff interview

Post by PunkMaister » Sat May 23, 2009 11:22 pm

KITT wrote:punkmeister, are you idolizing umbragom/gammahawk or something? all i see is the same thing over and over on every thread.

No I'm just royally pissed at the cancellation of the show as if I could beat the NBC execs to a bloody pulp for canning it I would, that's how pissed I feel right now!

MikeBKnight
Rookie
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:12 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: CT

Re: Yet another arrogant Hoff interview

Post by MikeBKnight » Sun May 24, 2009 12:02 am

I actually agree with David Hasselhoff on this issue. I think that if he WERE in the KR2008 series, it would've had MUCH higher ratings/viewers.

User avatar
KITT
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: SLC
Contact:

Re: Yet another arrogant Hoff interview

Post by KITT » Sun May 24, 2009 12:07 am

i agree.
Lady: "I bet you're tall, dark, and handsome."
KITT: "I'm definitely dark and handsome, I'm only tall when I'm climbing a steep incline."
http://www.dhasselhoff.net

User avatar
knightprobe89
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:14 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: tucson, az

Re: Yet another arrogant Hoff interview

Post by knightprobe89 » Sun May 24, 2009 12:41 am

i totally agree with hasselhoff, he is 100% right, the show did go off in the wrong direction, and hasselhoff should have been in the series! hasselhoff is the one who brought the idea to nbc to revive knight rider in the first place. nbc totaly screwed hasselhoff by leaving him out of the series! and nbc and gary scott thompson screwed the show up, it was nothing more than a hour long ford commercial for the most part.
in glen larson we trust.

User avatar
Knight007
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 975
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:58 am

Re: Yet another arrogant Hoff interview

Post by Knight007 » Sun May 24, 2009 2:55 am

knightprobe89 wrote:i totally agree with hasselhoff, he is 100% right, the show did go off in the wrong direction, and hasselhoff should have been in the series! hasselhoff is the one who brought the idea to nbc to revive knight rider in the first place. nbc totaly screwed hasselhoff by leaving him out of the series! and nbc and gary scott thompson screwed the show up, it was nothing more than a hour long ford commercial for the most part.

I like this :lol: you say it in a very true way. NBC and GST got their own way of seeing KR. I just wish if we can have some kind of interview with GST so we can ask him all of the questions we have in mind.
Any way, do we have a link of this HOFF story??? i mean every thing is on the net these days right? Image :kitt:

User avatar
Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
Posts: 1600
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:10 am
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: Knight Manor

Re: Yet another arrogant Hoff interview

Post by Victor Kros » Sun May 24, 2009 3:35 am

I disagree strongly about David and Knight Rider Festival. If Living with Scott Mills proves anything, it's that David can do what he wants when he chooses to do it - including going to Vegas. Also according to his reps that DID NOT jerk us around (Unlike Joe Townley) he was not commited to shoot AGT during the Festival days, in fact he was considering going to Florida for a couple days between tapings.

So please in all respect do not speak up for The Hoff on behalf of Knight Rider Festival. You clearly do not understand all the facts in the matter and it's a VERY sore subject to discuss, especially since Neil and myself were personally involved in losing things in order to try and get him there - which we paid to get him there for the FANS, not just ourselves.

We were lied to, no efforts were made on his personal behalf. Even his closest friends did everything in their power to get him there and in the end, David chose not to come and that's the end of it. There is no excuse for David not coming to the event. He was told about it several times by multiple sources well in advance of the event itself.

I believe the only excuse I could understand is that David has a serious ADD issue and thus cannot remember what he promises from one moment to the next (as discussed in the Scott Mills documentary). He said he will be at Knightcon 09 in the UK in September- will that promise pan out too? A promise he made ON CAMERA on hoffspace no less?

Time will tell.

Please leave Catherine Hickland out of it. She is fearless and endlessly understanding - she is not Pamela Bach. Her being there would make no hinderance towards him showing up. All the stars set aside whatever personal differences they had with one another in order to gather for a cause greater than themselves.

Michael Knight did show up at Knight Rider Festival, but it wasn't David it was Justin Bruening who paid his own dime to be there for the fans who support him. To me Justin is what David used to be 27 years ago and quite frankly his following is well deserved because he chooses to care about the fans who look up to him.

As for Hoff's interview - that's not David Hasselhoff speaking, that's "The Hoff". I've come to understand having met David in person there are two sides to him - the humble and vulnerable side that is David and the other side of him that shows off for the cameras. It is David whom I truely admire and respect not his alter ego.

In all fairness David is a large part of the success of Knight Rider and I believe his involvement would have better improved the show but apparently NBCU did not see it that way. I know David had passion to get involved and after NBCU used him, they promptly showed him the door and that is partially what has led to the demise of this series.

I do not however believe that David would actually make or break this series - I believe in the grand scale of things the fault lies on the shoulders of studio brass and the writers. The actors worked with what they were given and if they were given stronger content with a more responsible budget - the series renewal would have been a no brainer.

Don't blame David for how he feels, blame the network for exiling his involvement and his ideas. David's cameo was the only solid link back to the original series mythology short of the very last episode with the reformation of FLAG.

=VK=
:dash:

User avatar
rwmu
Operative
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:44 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: City of Wulfruna

Re: Yet another arrogant Hoff interview

Post by rwmu » Sun May 24, 2009 3:40 am

The thing is David is our childhood hero we see him with childlike eyes, to us he is Micheal Knight lone crusader, righter of wrongs, girl in every town, stand up for the helpless, and I think thats how David sees himself too. When David talks about Knight Rider we look on with misty nostalgia going back to a time when we didn't have to worry
about Taxes, Job losses etc. (The David part of the personallity as VK put it)

However the general public see him as he is now an alcoholic, the only diffrence between him and the drunks in the park is money. When David talks about Knight Rider they hear some sad bloke going on about a cheesey 80s show full of curly perms and a talking car. (This I think is 'The Hoff' part)

Its all a matter of perception, are we tilting ats windmills or are they pretending the giants don't exist.

As to would his apperance have made any diffrence to KR08 I don't think so, a version of Knight Rider that would appeal for the modern day wouldn't appieal to the majority of this forum. It would have been either overly violent or played for comedy,
Είναι καλύτερο να θεωρηθεί ως ανόητος, από να ανοιχτεί το στόμα σας και να αφαιρεθεί όλη η αμφιβολία.

User avatar
Solid Snake
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 460
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:55 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Hengelo, The Netherlands

Re: Yet another arrogant Hoff interview

Post by Solid Snake » Sun May 24, 2009 6:33 am

knightprobe89 wrote:i totally agree with hasselhoff, he is 100% right, the show did go off in the wrong direction, and hasselhoff should have been in the series! hasselhoff is the one who brought the idea to nbc to revive knight rider in the first place. nbc totaly screwed hasselhoff by leaving him out of the series! and nbc and gary scott thompson screwed the show up, it was nothing more than a hour long ford commercial for the most part.


Not the commercial thing again... The original was a GM fetish fest too, the only difference is that cars back then were the same looking and it was hard to tell the difference between cars. But whenever a big fancy car was used, like a lime or something, it was virtually always a GM car... Ford vehicles (usually used by the bad guys on the original) on the other hand had their name tags obscured and sometimes removed or for instance some of the badging was incomplete like the Ford lettering would be saying "ord" or "For". It even says in the credits that "some vehicles" were provided by GM. KR was and is a show about a car, which always has been used to promote the car it is portrayed by and the supportive cast of cars. Besides product placement is nothing new and there have been more obvious cases of product placement even in more ambitious projects like "transformers" which really truly is a GM commercial with talking cars from outer space :roll: .

As for David Hasselhoff, I won't say anything about the interview because I have not read it. But one would think that now the show is in trouble and the people that made original first season most likely are not bothered to bring it back... you'd think that David would be jumping up and down to acquire the show or get a deal to get involved and prove some people wrong about the direction they have taken it to?

If people want to save the show or even get David involved, people should start to tell some people about it and make some noise on http://savekitt.net and http://twitter.com/savekitt or they could even massively spam david on http://www.davidhasselhoff.com if they want him involved! Now is the time!
Knight Rider, powered by Ford!

User avatar
KFCreator
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 434
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Seattle, WA
Contact:

Re: Yet another arrogant Hoff interview

Post by KFCreator » Sun May 24, 2009 9:22 am

I wouldn't be so quick to read into one interview and take what it says away as so significant as to change your whole impression of David. Interviews like this almost always cut and paste what the person says to make the article, and interview subject, appear to be what they want it to be. Having known David for years and years personally, I can say without a doubt that David is one of the most gracious, kind and humble people I have ever had the privilege of knowing. I agree with Victor in that David seems to have two sides and that "The Hoff" is what we tend to see more of these days in interviews and on TV but it's just for show.

As for what David said about the show failing because he wasn't in it, I think he meant it in the sense that he felt like it was important to try to build a strong link between the original series and the new one and that having him as a possible recurring guest for a few episodes would have helped ground the series a bit better. That's my guess on what he meant, not that he is so egotistical that he thinks he himself is the key to the show's success.

Lastly, we will likely never know what David's real reason for not showing up at the festival was but just because he wasn't there doesn't mean we should brand him as a traitor to the franchise and the fans who worked so hard to organize and attend the event. We know that David feels passionately about Knight Rider and I'm sure if he could've been there he would have. His non-attendance is a grudge no one should be holding because it is petty and pointless in the grand scheme of things. What's done is done and the best we can do is hope that maybe David will show up next year.
"One man can make a difference. You can make a difference in someone else's life. You can make a difference in your own life." -- David Hasselhoff

Michael Long
Volunteer
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Yet another arrogant Hoff interview

Post by Michael Long » Sun May 24, 2009 9:39 am

I agree to Adam.

I do know David in person as well, and i think that some parts of this interview were printed out of context.

He really is thankful for what Knight Rider did with his career, and has constantly tried to bring it back. I also go with the route of David having sorta two sides.

Markus

Locked