Gary Scott Thompson Step Up....

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

kitt2k
Operative

Gary Scott Thompson Step Up....

Post by kitt2k » Fri May 08, 2009 6:08 pm

You can't tell me that Gary Scott Thompson does not know the fate of "Knight Rider" by now. He has been told that is either returning, canceled, or being shipped off to Sci-Fi, or another network to continue its run.

From what I gather Mr. Thompson is pretty important, and holds some power with the higher ups at NBC to not have a clue about the shows fate. I bet he, or an assistant checks in here now and again....I think high ups here have his e-mail...how about dropping him a line.

So come on Gary, what is the future of "Knight Rider?" A lot of people on this board did everything they could to support the show, I think you owe us a least an answer to its fate.

knightofthephoenix
Operative

Re: Gary Scott Thompson Step Up....

Post by knightofthephoenix » Fri May 08, 2009 7:15 pm

Of course he knows.

Come on Gary, give your show's fans some type of sign. A lot of people are still holding out hope and deserve to know one way or the other, and preferably not the way Bionic Woman fans learned their show's fate.

Slade
FLAG Assistant

Post by Slade » Sat May 09, 2009 1:20 am

How did Bionic Womans fans find out?

Just curious?
"See ladies,what happens in Vegas,stays in...KITT"
"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing"

blowersho
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by blowersho » Sat May 09, 2009 2:49 am

We should not expect anything from GST , he's just another mediocre little troll trying to get a piece of the pie, in it for short term gain. I loathe him for ruining a golden opportunity to revive KR, he's so pathetic because with KR all the parts needed for a hit show are there, they just need to be assembled in the right order.

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Sat May 09, 2009 3:55 am

I'm beginning to think GST doesn't care, and NBC doesn't care much either. Networks only care for shows that have massive amounts of viewers.
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

Matthew
Site Administrator
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Matthew » Sat May 09, 2009 6:43 pm

Blowersho,

Insulting Gary Scott Thompson doesn't help our cause. Believe me, I understand how you feel, because I feel the same way. Too many of us have been willing to accept the serious shortcomings of this series due to its potential, when what we should have done was support the direction being taken by the far superior character driven storyline of the pilot.

Instead, we collectively concentrated on the most insignificant things imaginable, such as the scantily clad women, Attack car, and lack of visual oomph. As a result, we've reaped the rewards of our short-sightedness to the point of cancellation, as NBC took all of those negatives, and figured the general public would like the complete opposite.

I just hope that we once again get the chance to see Knight Rider in all of its heartfelt glory at some point in the future. :good:

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Sat May 09, 2009 6:57 pm

Sky_Blue_Civic wrote:I'm beginning to think GST doesn't care, and NBC doesn't care much either. Networks only care for shows that have massive amounts of viewers.
Agreed. Fans tend to lose sight of the fact that entertainment is a job for the people involved. Whether they are executives, show runners, actors, etc. its just a job. If something doesn't work their agents get them other work and execs put together another series. They don't freak out or sulk like fans do. They move on.

KnightRiderKR
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightRiderKR » Sat May 09, 2009 9:31 pm

Sky_Blue_Civic wrote:I'm beginning to think GST doesn't care, and NBC doesn't care much either. Networks only care for shows that have massive amounts of viewers.
I'm not all that sure NBC ever cared anyway. It's all about money and ratings to them like every other network. I also doubt GST ever cared as well, he's a producer and most of them are in it for the money. I wonder what the KITT would have looked like without the side and racing stripes on him. Completely clean car with no badges of any kind, just like the original KITT. As for the rear badge, design a glossy black bowl shaped replacement for that too. Or maybe use the Terlingua's rear panel. Anyway I don't think either one of them cared from the get go. Might as well get over it, if the show fails they let it fail.

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Sat May 09, 2009 9:39 pm

KnightRiderKR wrote:
I'm not all that sure NBC ever cared anyway. It's all about money and ratings to them like every other network. I also doubt GST ever cared as well, he's a producer and most of them are in it for the money. I wonder what the KITT would have looked like without the side and racing stripes on him. Completely clean car with no badges of any kind, just like the original KITT. As for the rear badge, design a glossy black bowl shaped replacement for that too. Or maybe use the Terlingua's rear panel. Anyway I don't think either one of them cared from the get go. Might as well get over it, if the show fails they let it fail.
Based on the end product it was Knight Rider in name only. I'd say it was just slightly better than TKR. With Ford's influence being evident by KITT morphing into other Ford vehicles, the Fast and Furious undertones, the transformers undertones, etc. KR08 turned out to be the Batman & Robin of the Knight Rider franchise. It was only after all these creative inputs didn't work did NBC say let's go back to how the original series worked. But once that happened they pulled everything out - money, advertising, stunts, etc. So it looks like their experiment - to make this version of KR capitalize on Fast and the Furious and Transformers didn't work. The series was an insult to the legacy. Its as if NBC didn't have the faith that KR's original premise would work so they felt the need to tart it up with all kinds of other ingredients. Too bad the mystery meat never worked.

KnightRiderKR
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightRiderKR » Sun May 10, 2009 12:15 am

The morphing ability was inspired by an older show of NBC's called Viper which was a good show and lasted 4 seasons. I don't think KITT really needed attack mode, just conjure up a way for the molecular bonded shell to return. KITT does need weapons though, the world ain't a safe place.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sun May 10, 2009 1:12 am

Nah, the morphing/transforming was all because Ben Silverman saw Transformers. :roll:
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Slade
FLAG Assistant

Post by Slade » Sun May 10, 2009 2:40 am

I was almost expecting Bumbleebee to show and fight KARR when he transformed into Robot mode :lol: I did enjoy the way KI3T transformed in the pilot to attack mode :wink:

KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by KITT » Sun May 10, 2009 3:01 am

KnightRiderKR wrote:The morphing ability was inspired by an older show of NBC's called Viper which was a good show and lasted 4 seasons. I don't think KITT really needed attack mode, just conjure up a way for the molecular bonded shell to return. KITT does need weapons though, the world ain't a safe place.
KITT did have weapons.. what i was thinking earlier today, was that TOS had KITT doing things in every episode. turbo boosting, crashing through walls, anything to show KITT's abilities.. the new show had what.. like 2 turbo boosts in the whole season.. i really enjoyed the show, despite the lack of stunts. if it was possible in the 80s.. it should be cake now.
Lady: "I bet you're tall, dark, and handsome."
KITT: "I'm definitely dark and handsome, I'm only tall when I'm climbing a steep incline."
http://www.dhasselhoff.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KnightRiderKR
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightRiderKR » Sun May 10, 2009 3:50 am

PHOENIXZERO wrote:Nah, the morphing/transforming was all because Ben Silverman saw Transformers. :roll:
It was from Viper, watch the Viper morphing into the Defender(silver armored dodge viper concept) and you'll see for yourself.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sun May 10, 2009 4:59 am

I'm not talking about the effect in how it was done in the backdoor pilot because yeah it was very Viperish probably do to time constraints. But the whole "idea" that KITT would change into different vehicles was because of Transformers. It just took the series to get the desired effect.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Sun May 10, 2009 7:33 am

assuming that he knows the fate of KR and NBC did go another season, you think he will performe better this time? I mean we dont even know if he like to continue with KR or not. so how do we make sure he will follow the sam path he did in the last few episods of season 1 and not try any thing crazy again?
GST is a very good producer, no dought about that. its his believe in KR what worries me. Hope I made my idea clear
Image :kitt:

KnightRiderKR
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightRiderKR » Mon May 11, 2009 11:50 am

PHOENIXZERO wrote:I'm not talking about the effect in how it was done in the backdoor pilot because yeah it was very Viperish probably do to time constraints. But the whole "idea" that KITT would change into different vehicles was because of Transformers. It just took the series to get the desired effect.
No it was not Transformers it was Viper, Transformers turn into robots, Viper turned into a stealthy Dodge Viper concept with weapons. The KITT's transforming ability is very much like Viper's case closed.

Radicalas
Operative

Post by Radicalas » Mon May 11, 2009 1:09 pm

KnightRiderKR wrote:
PHOENIXZERO wrote:I'm not talking about the effect in how it was done in the backdoor pilot because yeah it was very Viperish probably do to time constraints. But the whole "idea" that KITT would change into different vehicles was because of Transformers. It just took the series to get the desired effect.
No it was not Transformers it was Viper, Transformers turn into robots, Viper turned into a stealthy Dodge Viper concept with weapons. The KITT's transforming ability is very much like Viper's case closed.
I remember reading announcement of new Knight Rider, and Ben Silverman stated, that he wanted to bring Knight Rider back and make something similar to the 2006 hit movie "Transformers".
Here's link: http://www.variety.com/article/VR111797 ... id=14&cs=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NBC is bringing back "Knight Rider," tapping Doug Liman to produce a "Transformers"-inspired reworking of the 1980s hit action-drama series about a man and his indestructible supercar.
Success of "Transformers" had a role in inspiring NBC Entertainment chief Ben Silverman's decision to revive "Knight." The thinking is that smallscreen f/x have advanced to the point where it'd be feasible to have a weekly series in which cars shift shapes.

KnightRiderKR
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightRiderKR » Mon May 11, 2009 3:33 pm

Radicalas wrote:
KnightRiderKR wrote:
I remember reading announcement of new Knight Rider, and Ben Silverman stated, that he wanted to bring Knight Rider back and make something similar to the 2006 hit movie "Transformers".
Here's link: http://www.variety.com/article/VR111797 ... id=14&cs=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NBC is bringing back "Knight Rider," tapping Doug Liman to produce a "Transformers"-inspired reworking of the 1980s hit action-drama series about a man and his indestructible supercar.
Success of "Transformers" had a role in inspiring NBC Entertainment chief Ben Silverman's decision to revive "Knight." The thinking is that smallscreen f/x have advanced to the point where it'd be feasible to have a weekly series in which cars shift shapes.
Of course he's gonna say that, they consider Viper a failure so there is no way they are going to mention it. Better off mentioning something successful like Transformers. KARR on the other hand was very much transformers-esque.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Mon May 11, 2009 7:06 pm

KnightRiderKR wrote:Of course he's gonna say that, they consider Viper a failure so there is no way they are going to mention it. Better off mentioning something successful like Transformers. KARR on the other hand was very much transformers-esque.
I suppose it was just a coincidence that a Knight Rider project was put into full gear just after Transformers came out, eh? Viper (the original, anyway) was canceled back in 1994.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

KnightRiderKR
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightRiderKR » Mon May 11, 2009 11:40 pm

Lost Knight wrote:
KnightRiderKR wrote:Of course he's gonna say that, they consider Viper a failure so there is no way they are going to mention it. Better off mentioning something successful like Transformers. KARR on the other hand was very much transformers-esque.
I suppose it was just a coincidence that a Knight Rider project was put into full gear just after Transformers came out, eh? Viper (the original, anyway) was canceled back in 1994.
Kitt's transformation is closer to the cheaper panel morph of the Defender from seasons 2-4.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue May 12, 2009 11:40 am

KnightRiderKR wrote:Kitt's transformation is closer to the cheaper panel morph of the Defender from seasons 2-4.
MetroLight Studio of California produced the original computer effects on the show's first season on NBC. These effects were more similar to the nanotechnology effects featured in the February backdoor pilot. The first season Viper Defender had more of a nano "skin" than mechanical Transformer-like parts.

When the show moved from NBC to first-run syndication, BB&J Visual Effects took over the morphing sequences and other CGI effects displayed on the show. That's when the more Transformer-like morphing abilities you mentioned became the show's standard.

But this was done only because the show originally cost $1.5 million an episode to produce. After it was canceled in its first season, it was cheaper to use a different computer effects company which is the only reason the effects were ever changed. I'm convinced MetroLight Studio would've continued to produce the effects for the show had it remained on NBC and not been canceled.

As it stands, there are only so many different morphing techniques the Knight 3000 can have that can be somewhat plausible. Also take into consideration General Electric's interest in nanotechnology (who happen to own NBC, by the way), and it's not difficult to see where the inspiration for the new version of Knight Rider came from, especially after the concept proved to be very lucrative at the box office.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Slade
FLAG Assistant

Post by Slade » Tue May 12, 2009 2:34 pm

I saw all 4 seasons of Viper tho on UPN.Yeah KI3T transfomation does remind of the Viper Defender tho.

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Tue May 12, 2009 10:59 pm

Slade wrote:I saw all 4 seasons of Viper tho on UPN.Yeah KI3T transfomation does remind of the Viper Defender tho.
The concept of morphing/transforming isn't that bad. The Viper changed into something cool. But when KITT morphs into a Ford production model vehicle, its a gaudy way to advertise a product and removes the focus from the show. KR fans should be pissed that NBC would pimp out KR in this manner to serve not as a creative means to draw in a new generation of KR fans, but as a means to showcase Ford cars. Its ridiculous.

KnightRiderKR
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightRiderKR » Wed May 13, 2009 1:03 am

Lost Knight wrote:
KnightRiderKR wrote:Kitt's transformation is closer to the cheaper panel morph of the Defender from seasons 2-4.
MetroLight Studio of California produced the original computer effects on the show's first season on NBC. These effects were more similar to the nanotechnology effects featured in the February backdoor pilot. The first season Viper Defender had more of a nano "skin" than mechanical Transformer-like parts.

When the show moved from NBC to first-run syndication, BB&J Visual Effects took over the morphing sequences and other CGI effects displayed on the show. That's when the more Transformer-like morphing abilities you mentioned became the show's standard.

But this was done only because the show originally cost $1.5 million an episode to produce. After it was canceled in its first season, it was cheaper to use a different computer effects company which is the only reason the effects were ever changed. I'm convinced MetroLight Studio would've continued to produce the effects for the show had it remained on NBC and not been canceled.

As it stands, there are only so many different morphing techniques the Knight 3000 can have that can be somewhat plausible. Also take into consideration General Electric's interest in nanotechnology (who happen to own NBC, by the way), and it's not difficult to see where the inspiration for the new version of Knight Rider came from, especially after the concept proved to be very lucrative at the box office.
The hex snake skin morph costed $50,000 per transformation. I know all of that stuff you just posted BB&J and all, I was heavily into Viper when it was on I even know a guy who has the more complete Viper tv show fan site online called ProjectViper.com. He has every piece of merchandise to the show and even knows some of the actors personally. That's not really important though. The fact is Kitt's transformation ability is very similar to the Defender's. i'm not complaining though but I would have design the new Kitt a little bit differently.