Gary Scott Thompson Step Up....

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Solid Snake
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Gary Scott Thompson Step Up....

Post by Solid Snake » Sat May 16, 2009 2:37 pm

They did not go for an '09 Mustang because it was a car that was basically 4 years on the market and to normal to look cool or fresh, compared to its more beefy siblings. The GT-500KR again was specifically made for the 40th anniversary of the original KR Mustang and that undeniably did look cool and fresh and was very able to play as KI3T. The '10 Mustang is different, it is a new car which means that it is looking fresh by default, the GT-500 version also is looking more aggressive than before and it has to compete with the Camaro which is releasing at the same time... so there is a perfect way and reason for Ford if NBC calls for a season 2 to use either a normal '10 or a '10 GT-500.

As for the KR... it is highly unlikely that they will commemorate the 42nd anniversary so I would almost say no there will not be a KR actually badged as "King of the Road", ofcourse they could always brand the KR to actually stand for "Knight Rider" as a fan tease. Also, it is very possible that a different GT version of the Mustang will adapt the KR typical hood, or they could create one specifically for the car, much like me and some fans have done on photoshops.

On a nicer note, Ford has mentioned KI3T and KR in an April press release commemorating the original Mustangs' birthday. So Ford is not shy of using KITT and flaunting it... NBC is, illogical backwards thinking if you ask me... instead of making crap that does not work (as is shown by most of their new shows during and post Knight Rider: the series) they could easily make KR work now with all the knowledge they have gathered from the past season... preferably without a certain showrunner. Sell the blimey show or license it or what not... let it go international, hand it to people that actually do know what to do with it and I could name a few!!!
Knight Rider, powered by Ford!

KnightRiderKR
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightRiderKR » Mon May 18, 2009 10:16 am

Just design a KITT mustang upgrade to replace the KR model. What they should have done is gone with a Mustang GT, not a 540hp car. Hell the original KITT's real life counterpart only had 220hp.

kitt1987
Recruit

Post by kitt1987 » Tue May 19, 2009 9:04 am

Actually the 82 Trans Am only had either 145 or 165 hp engine in it depending on if you got the 4 barrel or crossfire injection. Those early 80's T/A's were very anemic in the powertrain dept.

KnightRiderKR
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightRiderKR » Tue May 19, 2009 11:04 pm

kitt1987 wrote:Actually the 82 Trans Am only had either 145 or 165 hp engine in it depending on if you got the 4 barrel or crossfire injection. Those early 80's T/A's were very anemic in the powertrain dept.
They were the most aerodynamic Firebirds ever too. GM should bring back that body style, they are still popular.

xmguy
Rookie

Post by xmguy » Wed May 20, 2009 2:42 am

I agree I saw Viper on UPN. The whole morphing thing came from that series. It had to. Yes I agree Viper came from the original series of Knight Rider. Maybe if they try another reboot or "re-build" on Sci-Fi it might work. I guess I can hope.
LOYAL Knight Rider fan since 1995
:spmgo:

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Wed May 20, 2009 6:22 am

In an ideal world Knight Rider would be saved by an outside market putting money into it just like Baywatch was..
Here is what I would then do.

1.Get David Hasselhoff to play the Father Of mike and have him run the foundation.
2.Keep Deanna Russo as the Bonnie type..
3.Focus and Mike and Kitt mich much more.
4.Get rid of Billy And Zoe.

I'm sure this combination would work..

Garthe Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Garthe Knight » Wed May 20, 2009 6:37 am

whet wrote:In an ideal world Knight Rider would be saved by an outside market putting money into it just like Baywatch was..

1.Get David Hasselhoff to play the Father Of mike and have him run the foundation.

Amen to that.
And use the 2010 Mustang in all black.

KnightRiderKR
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightRiderKR » Wed May 20, 2009 8:32 am

Garthe Knight wrote:
whet wrote:In an ideal world Knight Rider would be saved by an outside market putting money into it just like Baywatch was..

Amen to that.
And with this decklid cover on it. My opinion of what Mustang KITT should look like.

bige
Rookie

Post by bige » Wed May 20, 2009 9:16 am

Sue or neps, if some how you could reach him and ask for interview, just to see what he thinks about his show being canceled again

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Wed May 20, 2009 10:47 am

bige wrote:Sue or neps, if some how you could reach him and ask for interview, just to see what he thinks about his show being canceled again
There is no way GST is going to want to talk.
He know's he screwed up.
Further more it won't make any diffrence to him, he'll just move on to the next thing to kill..

How about killing another old show like The A team or Airwolf Gary???

KnightRiderKR
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightRiderKR » Wed May 20, 2009 10:49 am

whet wrote:
bige wrote:Sue or neps, if some how you could reach him and ask for interview, just to see what he thinks about his show being canceled again
There is no way GST is going to want to talk.
He know's he screwed up.
Further more it won't make any diffrence to him, he'll just move on to the next thing to kill..

How about killing another old show like The A team or Airwolf Gary???
They won't, they aren't even going to bring those two back.

Kaine
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kaine » Wed May 20, 2009 10:58 am

well, at least A-Team is going to get a movie in the enar future!

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Wed May 20, 2009 11:04 am

Kaine wrote:well, at least A-Team is going to get a movie in the enar future!
Yeah unlike Knight RIder..
Now GST has totaly disgraced the concept of Knight Rider, it just ain't going to happen.. :(

the original KITT
Operative

Post by the original KITT » Wed May 20, 2009 1:12 pm

Knight riders cancelled!? Damn. But it was a shocking first season probs the best episode was the KARR episode and the one before that. out of the whole series.

David Hasselhoff is too big of a star to do a series in Knight Rider. very busy man he won't have the time, its like a full time job doing a series. or is it? i dunno i presume so.

:kitt:

Only thing left to really revive Knight Rider is the motion picture which Glen Larson wants to make. The only way i think that Knight rider will be sucessfull is with KITT actually in it. KNIGHT INDUSTIES TWO THOUSAND voiced by william daniels or someone that can produce KITTS distinctive accent. It would also be nice to see the KNIGHT 2000 in full action.

But as long as KITT is actually init it's fine. Knight rider 2000 manages to pull it of, but some crap ugly front wheel drived car they used and it was RED. The reason why i like KITTS body so much is beacsue its like a stealth look. v.cool.
Michael:“KITT I NEED YAH!”
Kitt:“ON MY WAY MICHAEL!”

Sybaris
Volunteer

Post by Sybaris » Wed May 20, 2009 1:20 pm

In my humble opinion GST SUX... GST you got greedy and turned a classic in to something it wasn't. Only when it was too late did you realise what the fans wanted and that was not what you wanted.
For all those who liked the show, I sympathise with your loss. It could have been something.

GST. Let me point out your mistakes.

The 80s show emphasised one man (plus a car) can make a difference. That is to the individual or people being bullied by greedy property developers etc. Not protecting a nation from a different terror threat each week. The Hoff era was about the common or every day person needing help. Glen Larson got it spot on and look at how his show is remembered.

The 80s KR had a small but believable cast and a workable format.
Your mishmash had a creator (who should have not been there as Wilton Knight created kITT). It also had a useless person who gave out orders (like who the hell was that)? Then you had the FBI girl. Again waste of space and budget from the start. Finally you have 2 techies that some how were geniuses but had no real value to add to the plot except for some humour. Really though did Ki3T need 3 techies?? Oh when you got rid of the old guy, you didnt see the plane crash or explode. Except for the pliot looking at a light and saying sorry, that was it. You were then told about it in a later scene via dialogue. ( I am not knocking the tallented actors, just the idea that the show needed so many)

KITT is the car of the future. A ford is not. Ford is hardly an exotic car manufacturere. Im surprised the new KITT didnt have an episode where an auto recovery truck was needed due to the radiator leaking or the gearbox dropping out, like in real Fords. We liked all the buttons and screens in the 80s KR, Sure make it look slick and modern, put toys and gadgets in there, but the interior looked very basic not much difference to an ordinary car. Even the pilot episode had a better interior.

Your next mistake was the morphong KITT in to another car....... as long as it was a ford. How stupid.
Get rid of the morphing. The whole idea was the car was so super that it didn't need to become anything else.
Also how many different interiors were there? Did you actually expect the audiances to suspend reality and belive this was the same car each time it changed.? (I wont even start about how you change it in to something a different size like a transit van).

In MHO you have killed off the show because you didn't listen to what your market wanted. You relied on CGI too much and not enough plot. Changing KARR in to a transformer was daft too. KARR is a car, hence the play on the word KARR. We liked to compare the two cars and their personalities in the 80s. See like for like compete against each outer, even though we knew the out come. Its lucky you didnt do a Goliath episode. Would you have that change in to Optimus Prime?

You see GST, with Chuck, the fans got what they wanted from the creators and producers and in response backed the show. KR could have been good, but now there is no way it will return. You did to KR what season 4 of Airwolf did to its self.

Please do us all a favour and don't get involved on any more remakes. Stay away from them.

Infact I hope someone starts up the "avoid all the GST shows in future" campaign.

long live the 80s shows

Solid Snake
FLAG Recruit

Post by Solid Snake » Wed May 20, 2009 1:39 pm

Sybaris wrote:
KITT is the car of the future. A ford is not. Ford is hardly an exotic car manufacturere. Im surprised the new KITT didnt have an episode where an auto recovery truck was needed due to the radiator leaking or the gearbox dropping out, like in real Fords. We liked all the buttons and screens in the 80s KR, Sure make it look slick and modern, put toys and gadgets in there, but the interior looked very basic not much difference to an ordinary car. Even the pilot episode had a better interior.

Your next mistake was the morphong KITT in to another car....... as long as it was a ford. How stupid.
Get rid of the morphing. The whole idea was the car was so super that it didn't need to become anything else.
Also how many different interiors were there? Did you actually expect the audiances to suspend reality and belive this was the same car each time it changed.? (I wont even start about how you change it in to something a different size like a transit van).
And a Trans am is the car of the future or exotic?
This again... *takes deep breath*... there were many things wrong with the show (things that were gradually smoothed out towards the end of the season). But the Mustang was not one of the things that were wrong with it. The Hero mode Mustang is a drop dead gorgeous car and in my humble opinion totally was believable as a new AI character... as that is what it was A NEW character and not the old one in a new body. I can only say that for me the look of the KR Mustang really became synonymous to KI3T due to its wide stance and the awesome scanner/hood combo. The old car was great for 1982 in terms of looks and pulled the KI2T look of perfectly, but for 2008/2009 it wouldn't be and for that reason the Mustang comes into play... and that does the KI3T job perfectly!!!

Besides KI2T and KI3T were meant to be cool but not over the top looking in their everyday shape and form, so that they would be able to blend in with the crowd and pounce when needed. And that's what they both did in their respective series.

My 2 cents...
Knight Rider, powered by Ford!

knightendo77
Operative

Post by knightendo77 » Wed May 20, 2009 1:42 pm

Exactly! :) The Trans-Am was hardly futuristic, but KITT was. The point being he kind of looked like a Trans-Am enough to blend in, but different enough to be KITT and futuristic and cool. I love the Mustang and loved the pilot version where he'd be completely invisible to the naked eye apart from the scanner, and then attack mode was like Mustang but with a little extra "oomph" :) The Mustang was a perfect KITT just the way it was :)

Mike, KITT and Sarah (well, Sarah from the pilot and last five anyway) I loved! :)
knightendo77
"I'm a Goofy Goober."

I'm on Bebo - knightendo_phil

KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by KITT » Wed May 20, 2009 7:01 pm

dont get rid of billy, i love his character!
Lady: "I bet you're tall, dark, and handsome."
KITT: "I'm definitely dark and handsome, I'm only tall when I'm climbing a steep incline."
http://www.dhasselhoff.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Quicksilver
Volunteer

Post by Quicksilver » Wed May 20, 2009 9:55 pm

I was hoping they did that at the start of the series.

I was looking at this link here (from late 2008)
http://www.buddytv.com/articles/knight- ... 23421.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is a quote from that link from David Hasselhoff:
"I went in and pitched Knight Rider to the network with all the intentions of coming back as, like, the dad or something," David Hasselhoff told Showbiz Spy. "But they decided to go a different route. So I just said 'See ya later and good luck.'"

The 56-year-old former Baywatch star added that he has no hard feelings towards the network and the production. In fact, he says that “I like the new kid and I like the cast.”

However, he somehow agrees that this version slightly deviated from the original series. He said that “it is a different version. It is not the same Knight Rider that we know and love but it doesn't make it bad, it just makes it different.”

Lastly, Hasselhoff wishes the production the best in the face of the bad reviews that swarmed the show. He said, “Hopefully it will take off; I wish them nothing but the best.”
What if they did listen to David's idea. Would KR have a second season?

I am still mad at NBC and GST for not giving a proper ending to "Las Vegas."

Crumbling Down
FLAG Recruit

Post by Crumbling Down » Thu May 21, 2009 10:15 am

I think who would be better to listen to then david. He was in the original show four all four seasons. I am sure he may have offered some of his input for the original series as well. David knows what KR should be and they should have listened. I am sure that we he first saw the beginning episodes he disliked them a lot but was afraid to voice his true opinions for fear of the media hearing it. David should have been in the new show too at least everyonce and awhile. He was a very compasionate caring person when needed but was still able to kick butt when he needed too. The line I want to warn you guys I am very heavily trained in martial arts comes to mind. He cared about his friends and people that he met. Justin seemed to have to much of a cold sense about him and didn't seem anything like DH did in the original.
Booonnnnnzzzzaaaaaiii!!!!!!!! As michael turbo boosts to score the extra point. His face is so funny when he yells this and when he hits turbo boost his eyes get huge and he flies back into the seat

Bandit1
Operative

Post by Bandit1 » Thu May 21, 2009 11:29 am

maybe the hoff can save knight rider?

he should be the producer of it :wink:

i wonder what he things about the new show anyway :roll:
Sorry for bad laguage,i´m still learning english!

GREETINGS FROM GERMANY

DavidKnight
Rookie

Post by DavidKnight » Thu May 21, 2009 1:09 pm

Garthe Knight wrote: Amen to that.
I did some Photoshop on it :D

Sybaris
Volunteer

Post by Sybaris » Thu May 21, 2009 1:49 pm

Way back in the 80s .. to us young kids in the UK who had never heard of a Trans Am before Knight Rider, yes it did look exotic even sporty and yet unique. Seen with todays maturity it may in real life have its faults, but KR was not a factual show. For an hour a week you could belive that KITT was the ultimate super car. The show was entertainment, a dream, It was a fantasy that every school kid wished they had a KITT of their own.

I don't think the idea of the remake was a bad idea, just the guy who re-made it had no idea for the first dozen or so episodes and made a hash up of it. It stands alongside Galactica 80, Airwolf Season 4 and Bionic Woman.

I also agree that a new car was needed, but I don't think the Mustang is the right car. Its looks are too heavy handed, its big and bold. KITT should be slick and dynamic. If the Mustang was a dog it would be a bull dog when what you want is a labradore.( however you spell it).

Somethings were right. Deanna Russo was perfectly cast. Even Justin Bruening I think worked well, though his character was a little too military, too cliche. Val Kilmer was excellent as Kitt. Even Bruce Davison was good as the KITTs designer (though I still maintain Wilton Knight was), he had that back to the future Doc Brown feel like the mad professor. If the format was just those four main characters from the start, I bet KR would have worked better.

If I were to bring it back for a 2nd series I would like to have the Hoff return and revive the old FLAG running it as it used to be. I think you are right, only the Hoff can save it. He has a reputation that can turn any pile of TV crap in to gold.

KnightRiderKR
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightRiderKR » Sat May 23, 2009 2:12 pm

DavidKnight wrote:
Garthe Knight wrote: Amen to that.
I did some Photoshop on it :D
Maybe you can black out the wheels too.

WIBoomer1
FLAG Recruit

Post by WIBoomer1 » Sun May 24, 2009 12:17 am

Solid Snake wrote:And a Trans am is the car of the future or exotic?
Yes, actually for 1982, it was very futuristic. This is before the 1984 Corvette came out. The Japanese had no ZX-300 yet. There was simply nothing else like it on the road. Even the Camaro didn't have that same feel. The T/A and Z-28 were not completely badge engineered as GM has done to death (literally) now. The angle of the windshield had never been that radical before. Sure it was underpowered, but this is after the OPEC embargo/gas crisis, and people were turning to more economical cars. The T/A wasn't, but it's looks started the trend towards more horsepower, to match the styling. The sad part is that the new 2010 Camaro really has no heritage with the 3rd gen F-body, so it's not really the best car for KITT to be today, even if it has the perfect place to put the scanner! :wink:
Solid Snake wrote:This again... *takes deep breath*... there were many things wrong with the show (things that were gradually smoothed out towards the end of the season). But the Mustang was not one of the things that were wrong with it. The Hero mode Mustang is a drop dead gorgeous car and in my humble opinion totally was believable as a new AI character... as that is what it was A NEW character and not the old one in a new body. I can only say that for me the look of the KR Mustang really became synonymous to KI3T due to its wide stance and the awesome scanner/hood combo. The old car was great for 1982 in terms of looks and pulled the KI2T look of perfectly, but for 2008/2009 it wouldn't be and for that reason the Mustang comes into play... and that does the KI3T job perfectly!!!

Besides KI2T and KI3T were meant to be cool but not over the top looking in their everyday shape and form, so that they would be able to blend in with the crowd and pounce when needed. And that's what they both did in their respective series.

My 2 cents...
I agree that the Mustang did the best it could. Yes, a fully lit up dash would have made the car seem more out of the ordinary, but seriously, the HUD display was fine. Should there have been buttons for Mike to press to get KI3T to turbo boost? Yes. But the voice activation worked OK. If Ford was going to continue working the partnership, then KI3T would be a 2010 Mustang GT.

Should KI3T been labeled as a GT500KR? nope, not at all. It should have been striped off all badging, just like KI2T was. It's not supposed to be a vehicle that looks like a production model. It's a one of a kind revolutionary car of the future. A showcase of what will be common place 20 years from now. That's why KI2T worked out so well. There simply wasn't anything like it for a few years, and now a lot of it's features are coming into play on production vehicles. Keyless entry, push button start, GPS, internet computer, automatic temperature control, 6 speed automatic transmissions (yes, KI2T has 8, but you know 7 Speeds are coming soon), all of these were on KI2T 27 years ago.

KnightRiderKR raises the point about Viper. Viper had a very simular agreement with Chrysler to display it's cars during the show. You'd see Intrepids all in the back ground, and Chrysler concept cars all over it. Frankie the mechanic had a Cuda. Cameron Westlake drove a Jeep. Product placement helps a show out, but not costing the show much money to have all these vehicles in place. We as fans just didn't care for KI3T's problematic transformations that made no sense at all.

Your brain could go numb just thinking about the ramifications of what KI3T actually was. Everything changed when KI3T transformed. The seats, the steering wheel, The Glass windshields, the diameters of the tires, the piping and structual chassis...every frickin thing changed! This means that all components of KI3T had some sort of molecular changing ability....i mean COME ON! I know it's science fiction, but this is a bit too much, and the audience (both fans and non-fans) groaned about it...SPM on the original worked only because you didn't have the car change into any other physical mode. The Convertible mode slid the top and hatch up and backwards, and I'll concede that the black top cover that came over them had to appear from nowhere.

The Airwolf thing...that show started to fall apart because Jan-Michael Vincent drank himself away. The Canadian version was meh. It was all about the money that could be made by still having Airwolf out... And Baywatch...well, that 1st season wasn't anything like what it eventually became. Of course NBC let it go, because it wasn't making them any money. NBC won't let that happen with KR's TV rights, since it's still a warm commodity. I don't say hot, just because you need the right ingredients in the production end of things in order to make it work. I don't blame any of the actors, since they were just doing what was written for them. I wonder if they had any say into their characters at all...

I do like the photo shop pics that GartheKnight and David Knight have worked on. There's just 2 things...get rid of the GT badging on the side, and the Pony on the grille...and it's spot on. I can live with the chrome wheels, but maybe making them non-glossy black would be excellent! :good:

I don't think KR 08 is coming back, no matter what people may think. This is exactly like Bionic Woman all over again. That show had the showrunners change 3 times, and never found it's footing. NBC let it slip away, and was never mentioned again. With KR, The writers never got it, until it was too late, with the last 5 eps. I'd love to see the spec treatments for the other 5 eps that were not produced. I can't see any way that this show continues as is, even as a mid-season replacement. Now that Dave Andron is attached to another show, and hopefully GST is doing something else, they'd have to find someone that really truly understands the concept for this to continue as a series. Don't say the Hoff, 'cause the trucks of money from NBC would have to make daily deposits to his home. Who today does action on television?

I know there's a lot of European fans who will read this and wonder why they are seeing KR at all, if there's no chance of it coming back. It doesn't make sense to me at all. You guys know that the US car makers are in big trouble because they haven't made any decent cars in the last 20 years. The best cars come from you and the Japanese, and now the Koreans. But since KR is an American financed production, I highly doubt you'd see KITT be anything other than American Made. Ford was the best choice, as they were also involved in TKR. They are in the best current position during this Cartastrophe, and if KI3T was a GM or Chrysler product, for sure there'd be no hope of a 2nd season. I suppose that anything could happen, but if KR would emerge again, would it be the same thing you see currently? not a chance.

Our collective weight must now turn to Glen's movie. If there's someone who understands EXACTLY what KR is about, it's him. Knight Rider will live on. I want a movie this time, one giant story, spectacular stunts, character development, true care for the characters.