Gary Scott Thompson Step Up....

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: Matthew, neps, Michael Pajaro

User avatar
Solid Snake
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 460
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:55 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Hengelo, The Netherlands

Re: Gary Scott Thompson Step Up....

Post by Solid Snake » Wed May 13, 2009 6:32 am

Mr.Marcus wrote:
Slade wrote:I saw all 4 seasons of Viper tho on UPN.Yeah KI3T transfomation does remind of the Viper Defender tho.


The concept of morphing/transforming isn't that bad. The Viper changed into something cool. But when KITT morphs into a Ford production model vehicle, its a gaudy way to advertise a product and removes the focus from the show. KR fans should be pissed that NBC would pimp out KR in this manner to serve not as a creative means to draw in a new generation of KR fans, but as a means to showcase Ford cars. Its ridiculous.


And dressing up KI2T with old beat tires and a Mattress to cover him up from the federales? And them not noticing the dashboard that lights up and says "hello I am a super secret hyper car, but please don't notice me" is not ridiculous?

I don't mean to sound offensive... and if I do I am sorry... but the shows today with such high production values (or costs, whichever you prefer) need profitable ways of sponsor ship. Extensive product placement is the most common way to achieve this. I personally found the Xbox use in the series (though sporadic) more of a problem... a kid downloading part of KITT from Xbox live? Ehmm... no... I can't swallow that.

Ford is the partner of the show and people should be happy about it, because otherwise there would have been no new KR tv show, never ever... (regardless if people liked it or not). One could always ask GM to pay the bill... but owww we can't because they are going bust... Ford saw potential in a new series and gave it their thumbs up, that means in return the series had to give Ford the thumbs up to show some of its products in a way we would notice them (which we clearly did) and in a way it would more or less fit in the story line... which it also did... more or less.

I hope Ford keeps pushing for a second season or syndication run to be honest... because I want to see what happens with this new foundation... and if that means I get to see a couple of new Fiesta's making a cameo appearance I will happily accept it.

But naturally... that is just my opinion and every one can have theirs :good: .
Knight Rider, powered by Ford!

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 310
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:13 am

Re: Gary Scott Thompson Step Up....

Post by Mr.Marcus » Wed May 13, 2009 8:09 am

Solid Snake wrote:
Mr.Marcus wrote:
Slade wrote:I saw all 4 seasons of Viper tho on UPN.Yeah KI3T transfomation does remind of the Viper Defender tho.


The concept of morphing/transforming isn't that bad. The Viper changed into something cool. But when KITT morphs into a Ford production model vehicle, its a gaudy way to advertise a product and removes the focus from the show. KR fans should be pissed that NBC would pimp out KR in this manner to serve not as a creative means to draw in a new generation of KR fans, but as a means to showcase Ford cars. Its ridiculous.


And dressing up KI2T with old beat tires and a Mattress to cover him up from the federales? And them not noticing the dashboard that lights up and says "hello I am a super secret hyper car, but please don't notice me" is not ridiculous?

I don't mean to sound offensive... and if I do I am sorry... but the shows today with such high production values (or costs, whichever you prefer) need profitable ways of sponsor ship. Extensive product placement is the most common way to achieve this. I personally found the Xbox use in the series (though sporadic) more of a problem... a kid downloading part of KITT from Xbox live? Ehmm... no... I can't swallow that.

Ford is the partner of the show and people should be happy about it, because otherwise there would have been no new KR tv show, never ever... (regardless if people liked it or not). One could always ask GM to pay the bill... but owww we can't because they are going bust... Ford saw potential in a new series and gave it their thumbs up, that means in return the series had to give Ford the thumbs up to show some of its products in a way we would notice them (which we clearly did) and in a way it would more or less fit in the story line... which it also did... more or less.

I hope Ford keeps pushing for a second season or syndication run to be honest... because I want to see what happens with this new foundation... and if that means I get to see a couple of new Fiesta's making a cameo appearance I will happily accept it.

But naturally... that is just my opinion and every one can have theirs :good: .


What does KITT in disguise for portions of an episode where the disguise consists of dust and furniture have to do with KITT morphing into a Ford F-150, Ford Flex, Ford Van, etc. Notice the blatant trend of KITT changing into Ford production vehicles.

You're just making excuses now. There's no need for the creative interests of KR to take a backseat to the corporate interests of Ford. No serious KR fan would ever want that and no serious KR fan should stand for it. No amount of weaseling out of the issue by claiming production values have changed and ad placement is necessary will justify that. Some of the best shows on tv lack any product placement. So a "this is how it has to be these days" argument will not help you.

Don't be such a corporate sycophant just to keep KR on the air. Have some standards man. You would honestly entertain the idea of Fiesta cameos if it means keeping KR on the air? Girl, please. You've reached the depths of desperation now.

I'm surprised at this wave of KR fans who want KR on the air no matter what despite its quality. Maybe my tv palate is more cultured and refined but I would rather have no KR than a bleak tarted up version of it just so they can serve Ford's commercial interests.

User avatar
knightendo77
Operative
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:10 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland

Re: Gary Scott Thompson Step Up....

Post by knightendo77 » Wed May 13, 2009 8:19 am

how dare you question other people's opinion of the show or ford's sponsorship!! I for one like the show a lot and like the transformations! The show wouldn't be on without Ford so if we get some promotion as a result I for one don't care! You've made your point now stop attacking those that have a different opinion by saying things like we're not serious KR fans or that our tastes aren't cultured enough! Who the hell do you think you are!!

If you don't like it don't watch it! But stop trying to beat down those of us that love it, and stop wishing it dead and cancelled when there's others who are fans, that's just incredibly immature! Turn the channel or watch your DVDs of the original! If all you can do is attack those that like the show the way it is and then you wish for cancellation then you really should get a grip and go to the original series' section of the forum. Posting all this hate iis just sad!
knightendo77
"I'm a Goofy Goober."

I'm on Bebo - knightendo_phil

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 310
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:13 am

Re: Gary Scott Thompson Step Up....

Post by Mr.Marcus » Wed May 13, 2009 9:15 am

knightendo77 wrote:how dare you question other people's opinion of the show or ford's sponsorship!! I for one like the show a lot and like the transformations! The show wouldn't be on without Ford so if we get some promotion as a result I for one don't care! You've made your point now stop attacking those that have a different opinion by saying things like we're not serious KR fans or that our tastes aren't cultured enough! Who the hell do you think you are!!

If you don't like it don't watch it! But stop trying to beat down those of us that love it, and stop wishing it dead and cancelled when there's others who are fans, that's just incredibly immature! Turn the channel or watch your DVDs of the original! If all you can do is attack those that like the show the way it is and then you wish for cancellation then you really should get a grip and go to the original series' section of the forum. Posting all this hate iis just sad!


I don't think arguing in a forum is attacking, that's the whole point of a forum isn't it? So that people with differing opinions can share and argue?

Look, everyone's a little frustrated over KR being canceled by NBC. I understand, I can forgive everyone for being a little testy. But there's still the movie and KR will be revived at some point on tv. So there's no need to lose all hope people.

User avatar
Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops
Posts: 2716
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:45 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Gary Scott Thompson Step Up....

Post by Lost Knight » Wed May 13, 2009 9:30 am

KnightRiderKR wrote:The hex snake skin morph costed $50,000 per transformation. I know all of that stuff you just posted BB&J and all, I was heavily into Viper when it was on I even know a guy who has the more complete Viper tv show fan site online called ProjectViper.com. He has every piece of merchandise to the show and even knows some of the actors personally. That's not really important though. The fact is Kitt's transformation ability is very similar to the Defender's. i'm not complaining though but I would have design the new Kitt a little bit differently.


The irony here is that Viper was inspired by Knight Rider, not vice versa. It would be weird to think KR inspired Viper which in turn inspired KR again.

If anyone is going to make a show about a morphing car, how could it not be compared to Viper naturally?
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

mikey
Volunteer
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:35 am

Re: Gary Scott Thompson Step Up....

Post by mikey » Wed May 13, 2009 11:02 am

knightendo77 wrote:how dare you question other people's opinion of the show or ford's sponsorship!! I for one like the show a lot and like the transformations! The show wouldn't be on without Ford so if we get some promotion as a result I for one don't care! You've made your point now stop attacking those that have a different opinion by saying things like we're not serious KR fans or that our tastes aren't cultured enough! Who the hell do you think you are!!

If you don't like it don't watch it! But stop trying to beat down those of us that love it, and stop wishing it dead and cancelled when there's others who are fans, that's just incredibly immature! Turn the channel or watch your DVDs of the original! If all you can do is attack those that like the show the way it is and then you wish for cancellation then you really should get a grip and go to the original series' section of the forum. Posting all this hate iis just sad!

Well said.

Mr. Marcus, why are you even here? Seriously. You clearly have no love for this show and for some reason feel compelled to insult/berate those who do. And then when someone stands up and tells you to pipe down, you hide behind "I'm just giving MY opinion".

You have posted nothing "new" in the past 4 months. Your constant rotating 3 arguments: "The show is cancelled (and good riddance)" "You fans are having false hope (And here's my incredibly wrong assumptions to prove my point)." "Ford and the transformations suck."

You've made your point. And clearly only a few agree with you. But yet you are here, continually posting your inane drivel that is really nothing more than inflammatory comments. You haven't "Added" to any conversation about KR08 in the entire time I've been here. What you have done is complain, bitch, moan, and insult those who do like the show. As if you are somehow a "truer" fan. Get real.

I hope the show comes back if for no other reason than just to shut you up. But I would wager if it does you'll be here amazed it's back and still bitching because of it and complaining that "sycophant" fans are the reason Ford is still a major player in the show. And if the show is unfortunately ended, I have every expectation you will be the first one here pounding your chest going "I was right! See!? I was right! I told you so!" like a child.

But, that's just "my opinion".

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 310
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:13 am

Re: Gary Scott Thompson Step Up....

Post by Mr.Marcus » Wed May 13, 2009 12:52 pm

1) I'm here b/c I'm a fan of KR. Always have been since I was a little kid in the 80s.

2) I'm pointing out what I think is wrong with the show and why I don't think it will be renewed. The big thing now after NBC announced the fall line up sans KR, seems to be "NBC is waiting for the foreign ratings." Its hopeless b/c I have never heard of a show with poor domestic ratings that has avoided cancellation on the same network b/c of foreign ratings. To say that I have made my point overlooks all those who keep saying KR is not canceled even though NBC has ignored it and it doesn't appear on their fall schedule. Why are you not attacking the redundancy of those posters?

3) I actually gave a suggestion in another thread that people should organize a demonstration outside of NBC of KR supporters. This is much more effective than a letter or email campaign that NBC and Ford will ignore by either sending out a canned reply - "We appreciate your feedback and recognize the value of KR to the fans" or having an intern write a quick response. A demonstration can't be ignored and KR fans from the so cal area should rally for one.

4) The show is not coming back. NBC announced their slate and KR is absent. They aren't speaking up about it at all even to say "a decision has not been reached." Instead, they have excluded it from their schedule and are completely ignoring it. Its over. I'm saying "I told you so" now, I don't need to wait. But at least the first season DVD is on sale which is solace to those who really enjoyed the show.

User avatar
knightendo77
Operative
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:10 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland

Re: Gary Scott Thompson Step Up....

Post by knightendo77 » Wed May 13, 2009 2:07 pm

The very fact you have to say "I told you so" is pathetic and I find it offensive. NBC haven't announced their Tuesday and Wednesday slots and HAVE said they've more to announce next week. You've attacked the show and those that enjoy it from day one. It's improved in leaps and bounds and while you're allowed to dislike it, attacking (because that's what you do on here) those that are the show's fans, and wishing cancellation on it is not on!

I can't stand Heroes or EastEnders or reality TV but I'd never make a point of logging on to a forum to attack those that like them or to wish for cancellation on series, because I know others like them. I turn over. I suggest you do the same and leave us to enjoy what we enjoy!!

And if KR IS cancelled that doesn't give you the right to gloat, there's a lot of fans on here that you've already pissed off.
knightendo77
"I'm a Goofy Goober."

I'm on Bebo - knightendo_phil

User avatar
KITT
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: SLC
Contact:

Re: Gary Scott Thompson Step Up....

Post by KITT » Wed May 13, 2009 3:23 pm

i'm surprised marcus is still allowed to post here.
Lady: "I bet you're tall, dark, and handsome."
KITT: "I'm definitely dark and handsome, I'm only tall when I'm climbing a steep incline."
http://www.dhasselhoff.net

User avatar
Solid Snake
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 460
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:55 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Hengelo, The Netherlands

Re: Gary Scott Thompson Step Up....

Post by Solid Snake » Wed May 13, 2009 4:55 pm

Mr.Marcus wrote:

What does KITT in disguise for portions of an episode where the disguise consists of dust and furniture have to do with KITT morphing into a Ford F-150, Ford Flex, Ford Van, etc. Notice the blatant trend of KITT changing into Ford production vehicles.

You're just making excuses now. There's no need for the creative interests of KR to take a backseat to the corporate interests of Ford. No serious KR fan would ever want that and no serious KR fan should stand for it. No amount of weaseling out of the issue by claiming production values have changed and ad placement is necessary will justify that. Some of the best shows on tv lack any product placement. So a "this is how it has to be these days" argument will not help you.

Don't be such a corporate sycophant just to keep KR on the air. Have some standards man. You would honestly entertain the idea of Fiesta cameos if it means keeping KR on the air? Girl, please. You've reached the depths of desperation now.

I'm surprised at this wave of KR fans who want KR on the air no matter what despite its quality. Maybe my tv palate is more cultured and refined but I would rather have no KR than a bleak tarted up version of it just so they can serve Ford's commercial interests.


Did you just call me girl?... Ok... that made me chuckle :lol: . I always thought that "Solid Snake" is not a very girly name... must be my illusion then. But yes... boy... Amazingly there are quite a few people that applaud Ford for being willing to support a remake of an old show. And contrary to what you think... product placement IS a vital form of income for the production of a show. Seeing how KR is a car show... I am totally fine with the idea of having cars making cameo's... KITT goes into rough terrain, he turns into an F150... fine, the reasoning there makes sense... (again I am not saying that if I was producing the show that I would do it... but I am saying that I can live with that no problem). Also I am fine with the fact that you called one person basically an "idiot" for liking the new KR. But calling all those millions that tuned in week after week (and now the new fans joining us from Europe and the rest of the world) foolish too is just... foolish in its own right... MANY people like the new KR for various reasons, even with its short comings, and many were introduced to the KR principle of a man and his car kicking ass every week. So please... don't call people, girls, unrefined and foolish just because they are liking something that you obviously don't... Don't hate the player, hate the game... If you hate the show, hate the show... and not its fans that do like it... no matter how idiotic it may seem to you.

I am glad to say that I am part of the majority that does like the show for what it was, is and will be... and I am part of that same majority that is hoping for a renewal or syndication deal (a scenario that might happen as the show is getting decent ratings in the rest of the world).

If you are not part of that group of people, that's cool... but do I call you things? No.

Come on KITT... season two time!
Powered by Ford!
Knight Rider, powered by Ford!

User avatar
Michael Pajaro
Advisor
Posts: 3082
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Re: Gary Scott Thompson Step Up....

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu May 14, 2009 2:25 am

Please stay focused and on-topic everyone. Discuss the issues, not the people. Thank you.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

User avatar
knightprobe89
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:14 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: tucson, az

Re: Gary Scott Thompson Step Up....

Post by knightprobe89 » Fri May 15, 2009 1:13 am

KITT wrote:i'm surprised marcus is still allowed to post here.

i dont see anything wrong with what marcus is saying, he is just trying to point out the facts, and he has a lot of valid points, everybody is entitled to thier opinion!!!
in glen larson we trust.

User avatar
KITT
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: SLC
Contact:

Re: Gary Scott Thompson Step Up....

Post by KITT » Fri May 15, 2009 4:32 am

opinion, not instigating arguments and insults.
Lady: "I bet you're tall, dark, and handsome."
KITT: "I'm definitely dark and handsome, I'm only tall when I'm climbing a steep incline."
http://www.dhasselhoff.net

Shapeshifter
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 318
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:31 pm

Re: Gary Scott Thompson Step Up....

Post by Shapeshifter » Fri May 15, 2009 11:13 am

Here's the thing...

In order for KR to return in the fall, an official pick-up would have to happen in the next day or two, because writers would have to be hired, and offers to writers are currently going out from other shows that HAVE been picked up. If you're late to that game, you lose the best people.

AFAIK, no calls have gone out to any of the former KR writing staff. That is not a good sign.

User avatar
Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops
Posts: 2716
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:45 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Gary Scott Thompson Step Up....

Post by Lost Knight » Fri May 15, 2009 12:38 pm

Shapeshifter wrote:AFAIK, no calls have gone out to any of the former KR writing staff. That is not a good sign.


Not a good sign in terms of the show getting picked up again, but by some miracle if it does happen to, I wouldn't want any of the same writers back, anyway, and that especially includes Gary Scott Thompson. Not to be too harsh on them, but these are the people responsible for the multiple tossed out lackluster scripts and mediocre/bad writing that plagued the series from the get-go.

The only chance this show would have to improve in terms of quality, direction and perhaps overall reputation, would be to hire a new show runner and writers, in my honest opinion.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

User avatar
KnightRiderKR
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 258
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:37 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Virginia

Re: Gary Scott Thompson Step Up....

Post by KnightRiderKR » Fri May 15, 2009 2:09 pm

Lost Knight wrote:
KnightRiderKR wrote:The hex snake skin morph costed $50,000 per transformation. I know all of that stuff you just posted BB&J and all, I was heavily into Viper when it was on I even know a guy who has the more complete Viper tv show fan site online called ProjectViper.com. He has every piece of merchandise to the show and even knows some of the actors personally. That's not really important though. The fact is Kitt's transformation ability is very similar to the Defender's. i'm not complaining though but I would have design the new Kitt a little bit differently.


The irony here is that Viper was inspired by Knight Rider, not vice versa. It would be weird to think KR inspired Viper which in turn inspired KR again.

If anyone is going to make a show about a morphing car, how could it not be compared to Viper naturally?


Viper didn't inspire crap, the staff just used the morphing ability on KITT nothing more nothing less. The Defender was only able to morph back into the regular Viper but it did have a retractable holographic emitter for disguising itself as other vehicles or projecting decoys.

Shapeshifter
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 318
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:31 pm

Re: Gary Scott Thompson Step Up....

Post by Shapeshifter » Fri May 15, 2009 3:32 pm

Lost Knight wrote:
Shapeshifter wrote:AFAIK, no calls have gone out to any of the former KR writing staff. That is not a good sign.


Not a good sign in terms of the show getting picked up again, but by some miracle if it does happen to, I wouldn't want any of the same writers back, anyway, and that especially includes Gary Scott Thompson. Not to be too harsh on them, but these are the people responsible for the multiple tossed out lackluster scripts and mediocre/bad writing that plagued the series from the get-go.

The only chance this show would have to improve in terms of quality, direction and perhaps overall reputation, would be to hire a new show runner and writers, in my honest opinion.


I can see how you might feel that way, but I don't think that NBC would re-boot the series for a 3rd (4th!) time with a new writing staff. The ONLY reason they would renew would be because of the improving numbers and quality toward the end of the run (and MAYBE international popularity) and they would want at least some of the original writing staff for continuity. In other words, they would feel that it had been fixing itself, and would probably not mess with it too much.

Alas, I don't feel that this is the way it will play out. I think the higher-ups just want to be done with it. I think KR08 is through.

User avatar
Solid Snake
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 460
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:55 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Hengelo, The Netherlands

Re: Gary Scott Thompson Step Up....

Post by Solid Snake » Fri May 15, 2009 5:38 pm

Thanks for being so frank and share your view on things with us.

I wish NBC would do the same and say it as it is... but nooooooooooooo... but then again maybe with good reason haha, we shall see.
Knight Rider, powered by Ford!

User avatar
weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)
Posts: 1346
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:43 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Weeezlville
Contact:

Re: Gary Scott Thompson Step Up....

Post by weeezl » Fri May 15, 2009 6:03 pm

Shapeshifter wrote:Alas, I don't feel that this is the way it will play out. I think the higher-ups just want to be done with it. I think KR08 is through.


From anyone else I'd take that statement with a grain of salt. :|

User avatar
kitt2k
Operative
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:17 pm

Re: Gary Scott Thompson Step Up....

Post by kitt2k » Fri May 15, 2009 6:11 pm

This is where I was hoping this thread might lead....concrete answers on KR's future. Not quite sure how the whole Viper thing got in here, but hey all discussion is good...

Thanks again Shapeshifter for all your posts! As much as the answer is not what the fan in me wants to hear, at least the realist in me is pretty sure on what's coming....

User avatar
Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
Posts: 1600
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:10 am
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: Knight Manor

Re: Gary Scott Thompson Step Up....

Post by Victor Kros » Fri May 15, 2009 6:43 pm

Shapeshifter wrote:
Lost Knight wrote:
Shapeshifter wrote:AFAIK, no calls have gone out to any of the former KR writing staff. That is not a good sign.


Not a good sign in terms of the show getting picked up again, but by some miracle if it does happen to, I wouldn't want any of the same writers back, anyway, and that especially includes Gary Scott Thompson. Not to be too harsh on them, but these are the people responsible for the multiple tossed out lackluster scripts and mediocre/bad writing that plagued the series from the get-go.

The only chance this show would have to improve in terms of quality, direction and perhaps overall reputation, would be to hire a new show runner and writers, in my honest opinion.


I can see how you might feel that way, but I don't think that NBC would re-boot the series for a 3rd (4th!) time with a new writing staff. The ONLY reason they would renew would be because of the improving numbers and quality toward the end of the run (and MAYBE international popularity) and they would want at least some of the original writing staff for continuity. In other words, they would feel that it had been fixing itself, and would probably not mess with it too much.

Alas, I don't feel that this is the way it will play out. I think the higher-ups just want to be done with it. I think KR08 is through.


- Well considering you're the "goto" guy for Knight Rider 08 info, maybe your realistic views may silence the war between those who believe the series is cancelled and those who keep finding ways to justify for it to come back. Because it's such a combustable topic, I have chosen to stay as far away from it as possible and focus my energies elsewhere.

I will say this one observation that I think is important to consider - if NBCU wanted to renew Knight Rider: The Series, I would think they would have at least put it in syndication on Sci-Fi in the USA like they have done with Kings and some other things like Cha$e and Estate of Panic (both of which are now off the air having only 6 or so episodes but are expected to get another season). The sheer fact that they haven't moved it and the lack of advertising tells me they've given up hope on it being salvaged here in the USA and are hoping to recoup their loses internationally.

It is possible, however unlikely that the sheer amount of support might get the series to come back from cancellation like Baywatch or Family Guy but I just don't see it happening unless Ford wants to sell more cars. Keep in mind Ben Silverman already told everyone flat out what his intentions were - "brand integration".

Not the fans who support the show, not even the show concept itself - just to sell products. Since Ford and Shelby sold out their runs of GT500KR's, what big ticket item is there left to have to invest in? A 2010 GT500KR? If I'm not mistaken, didn't Shelby replace the "King of the Road" line with the Super Snake line? Even if so, it would require them to have to rebuild new cars again - this is unlikely to happen because unlike the 82 Trans Am which is pretty much indistingushable from the 83-88? or so models when you slap on a new nose, hood, and blackouts - you can't just upgrade a GT500KR to look like a newer model as easily.

This means they would stick with the GT500KR's (yes I know they're more "mock ups" of actual GT500KRs) they already have - so what does Ford get out of the deal? Really? More unecessary "disguises" for KITT to transform into to show off the latest ford model?

I'd like to point out as to avoid confusion these are my opinions and are in no way stated as absolutes. I could be wrong on some things and you're free to point it out. Contrary to popular belief I do not claim to "know it all".

I can say one thing with absolute confidence - Whether or not the series is renewed, Knight Rider will continue to live on in other forms whether it's dvd sales, merchandising, or other events and projects related to the property.

Whether or not the series is renewed makes little difference on the property itself. As long as the fans continue to demand for Knight Rider to reinvent itself, the spirit lives on. Knight Rider is a torch that refuses to be expire or be extinguished - fueled by a fandom that continues to believe in it whether the torch is passed on from one creator/showrunner to the next. It is the one factor of this property NBCU still doesn't "get" - and because of this sheer self-preserved studio brass arrogance, they continue to fail.

There's a demand from fans you see, but for them there is simply no longer a desire.

=VK=
:dash:

User avatar
Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops
Posts: 2716
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:45 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Gary Scott Thompson Step Up....

Post by Lost Knight » Fri May 15, 2009 7:52 pm

Victor Kros wrote:- Well considering you're the "goto" guy for Knight Rider 08 info, maybe your realistic views may silence the war between those who believe the series is cancelled and those who keep finding ways to justify for it to come back. Because it's such a combustable topic, I have chosen to stay as far away from it as possible and focus my energies elsewhere.


Same here. I don't want to make any peoples' uphill battles that much harder by being realistic or risk being branded as too negative, so I've been trying to stay silent about it out of respect for those who are campaigning. The final nail in the coffin should come about what, May 19th? I've long felt the show is better off D.O.A. than coming back with Gary Scott Thompson running it, and I think this has a lot to do with my apathetic feelings on the entire situation.

Victor Kros wrote:Whether or not the series is renewed makes little difference on the property itself. As long as the fans continue to demand for Knight Rider to reinvent itself, the spirit lives on. Knight Rider is a torch that refuses to be expire or be extinguished - fueled by a fandom that continues to believe in it whether the torch is passed on from one creator/showrunner to the next. It is the one factor of this property NBCU still doesn't "get" - and because of this sheer self-preserved studio brass arrogance, they continue to fail.

There's a demand from fans you see, but for them there is simply no longer a desire.

=VK=
:dash:


And this is what I was trying to say a few months ago as well. I honestly don't believe the success or failure of this series will put an end to the franchise and/or prevent it from coming back for another 20 years. That is where I put my hope and faith when it comes to the franchise. I understand how most members here feel, especially since there is the overwhelming concern that this may be the franchise's last shot. In the grand scheme of things, I beg to differ. If the series doesn't get renewed, it's not the end of the world. If it does, more power to the fans and franchise.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

User avatar
KnightRiderKR
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 258
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:37 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Virginia

Re: Gary Scott Thompson Step Up....

Post by KnightRiderKR » Fri May 15, 2009 9:18 pm

kitt2k wrote:This is where I was hoping this thread might lead....concrete answers on KR's future. Not quite sure how the whole Viper thing got in here, but hey all discussion is good...

Thanks again Shapeshifter for all your posts! As much as the answer is not what the fan in me wants to hear, at least the realist in me is pretty sure on what's coming....


Viper got in because some producer got cheap and decided to use an ability from a vehicle in a show that was inspired by the original Knight Rider.

User avatar
Solid Snake
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 460
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:55 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Hengelo, The Netherlands

Re: Gary Scott Thompson Step Up....

Post by Solid Snake » Fri May 15, 2009 10:15 pm

Victor Kros wrote:Since Ford and Shelby sold out their runs of GT500KR's, what big ticket item is there left to have to invest in? A 2010 GT500KR? If I'm not mistaken, didn't Shelby replace the "King of the Road" line with the Super Snake line? Even if so, it would require them to have to rebuild new cars again - this is unlikely to happen because unlike the 82 Trans Am which is pretty much indistingushable from the 83-88? or so models when you slap on a new nose, hood, and blackouts - you can't just upgrade a GT500KR to look like a newer model as easily.

This means they would stick with the GT500KR's (yes I know they're more "mock ups" of actual GT500KRs) they already have - so what does Ford get out of the deal? Really? More unecessary "disguises" for KITT to transform into to show off the latest ford model?


To correct you on the Ford details you used. No the KR did not get replaced by the Super Snake, the KR was a tribute model to the original KR from the sixties. As such it is not replaced by a different model. The Super Snakes only have the KR look to them but are different beasts.

As for what other big ticket they have? That is simple... '10 Mustang. Yes it needs a new hood to accommodate the scanner, but externally that is about it, minus some logo's.

And if renewal means more disguises to show of other cars that are "functionally" part of the story... like I said before, I can live with that easily.

But then again that is how I think about it, and like you said, that is not a binding order to all KR fans... but merely my opinion and view.

But here is the b-sh*t thing, Kings might get syndicated? For what freaking reason? It did worse than KR... during its whole run!? Crappy logic to me. But ofcourse I am most likely missing something. Boo NBC BOOOOOO.
Knight Rider, powered by Ford!

User avatar
Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
Posts: 1600
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:10 am
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: Knight Manor

Re: Gary Scott Thompson Step Up....

Post by Victor Kros » Fri May 15, 2009 11:07 pm

Victor Kros wrote:Since Ford and Shelby sold out their runs of GT500KR's, what big ticket item is there left to have to invest in? A 2010 GT500KR? If I'm not mistaken, didn't Shelby replace the "King of the Road" line with the Super Snake line? Even if so, it would require them to have to rebuild new cars again - this is unlikely to happen because unlike the 82 Trans Am which is pretty much indistingushable from the 83-88? or so models when you slap on a new nose, hood, and blackouts - you can't just upgrade a GT500KR to look like a newer model as easily.

This means they would stick with the GT500KR's (yes I know they're more "mock ups" of actual GT500KRs) they already have - so what does Ford get out of the deal? Really? More unecessary "disguises" for KITT to transform into to show off the latest ford model?


To correct you on the Ford details you used. No the KR did not get replaced by the Super Snake, the KR was a tribute model to the original KR from the sixties. As such it is not replaced by a different model. The Super Snakes only have the KR look to them but are different beasts.

- I'm not a Mustang or Shelby expert, so thanks for clarifying that. I assume I am a still correct that there is no new 2010 GT500KR coming?

As for what other big ticket they have? That is simple... '10 Mustang. Yes it needs a new hood to accommodate the scanner, but externally that is about it, minus some logo's.

- They didn't go with a 09 GT, what reason is there to think they would be sensible enough to go with a '10 GT and not some other overly priced beefed up edition of the Mustang? Remember they're not thinking with common sense logic, they're thinking with greed or "studio logic" - sell out a fewer "higher end" cars, rather then a bunch of smaller level ones. Ironically to save money you would think they would have gone with a more accessable and cheaper car like a normal Mustang GT which would have been easy to market and replicate, but they didn't. They went with a car that isn't affordable/accessible by the general middle class public - the very audience they were seeking to attract. They must have thought that shows like the OC and The Hills "teens" were actually accurate -that normal teens had all this disposable income to spend and then reality slammed through their studio logic predictions like Goliath head on.

And if renewal means more disguises to show of other cars that are "functionally" part of the story... like I said before, I can live with that easily.

- I draw the line at mass shifting just like I do with Transformers. I think a car should be a car, not a truck, not a sub, not a plane, not a van - there are some degrees of compromise I guess for certain situations but the majority of the time KITT is the CAR of the future, not the pick up truck of tomorrow.

But then again that is how I think about it, and like you said, that is not a binding order to all KR fans... but merely my opinion and view.

- Indeed. Cancelled or renewed, the Knight rides on.

But here is the b-sh*t thing, Kings might get syndicated? For what freaking reason? It did worse than KR... during its whole run!? Crappy logic to me. But ofcourse I am most likely missing something. Boo NBC BOOOOOO.

- I was walking downstairs the other night and my Dad was watching Kings on there - my first reaction was, what the heck was Kings doing on Sci-Fi when it was on NBC and how is that sci-fi? He sort of explained the premise to me but I figured if it was already moved to Sci-Fi, it's on its way out the door already. Again it shocked me that Kings was replayed on Sci-Fi but not Knight Rider - yet in international markets, that's the first channel they're debuting it in syndication.

Which to me is a sign the network wants to bury it domestically. I wonder how much they'll market the dvd box set when it is ready for release - will we see tv spots for it? Or will the box set simply be released far under the rader like so many other television based sets? - or dare I say it - the original Knight Rider.

Time will tell.

=VK=
:dash:

Locked