GM to kill Pontiac on Monday

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: GM to kill Pontiac on Monday

Post by KRAvengerII » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:11 pm

there's an article on AOL about "pontiacs we'll miss," and of course, KITT made the list.
KITT: I walked right into that one, didn't I?
Michael: More like Turbo Boosted.

probe2006
Volunteer

Post by probe2006 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:05 pm

yay can ki2k comeback with out a backlash from ford????

Chief Oddball
Recruit

Post by Chief Oddball » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:28 am

I'm not a fan of Buick, either. Given the choice, I'd take Pontiac over Buick. The problem is that reality is getting in the way: Buick is a huge, huge brand in China. In days past, the last Chinese emperor, Pu Yi, used to ride around in a Buick, and people never forgot that. Buick makes money in China.

Add to that the fact that China is now the world's #1 automobile market -- not North America -- and the decision to kill Pontiac instead of Buick was easy.

There are lots of hidden ramifications to the global economy.

KnightRiderKR
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightRiderKR » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am

That's a really bad excuse right there, just because they sell well in china. Big friggin deal, so thats the reason they sell in another country so we have to put up with the geezer mobiles. If I ran GM right now I'd sell Buick to a chinese company, they can then enjoy them all they want then. Pontiac's problem is their lesser cars are rebadged Chevys, knock that crap off. Dump the G3, G5(rebadged cobalt) and Vibe as well as the Torrent. Make Pontiac strictly performance cars only.

Sty Knight
Recruit

Post by Sty Knight » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:58 pm

KnightRiderKR wrote:That's a really bad excuse right there, just because they sell well in china. Big friggin deal, so thats the reason they sell in another country so we have to put up with the geezer mobiles. If I ran GM right now I'd sell Buick to a chinese company, they can then enjoy them all they want then. Pontiac's problem is their lesser cars are rebadged Chevys, knock that crap off. Dump the G3, G5(rebadged cobalt) and Vibe as well as the Torrent. Make Pontiac strictly performance cars only.
It is a big friggin' deal actually. Buick does well overseas and MAKES MONEY. That is why GM is in this mess cause their rebadged crap cars don't sell and don't make the money. I never thought I'd see the day that Ford was going to come outta this virtually unscathed but facts are facts. They took that company a built it up, offering cars that people want to drive.

I see people on here saying that the government killed Pontiac and is killing GM. Nothing could be farther from the truth. The government may be the only thing helping GM survive complete collapse right now. They lent money, lent more when they were asked and could very well take partial ownership to keep the company alive after bankruptcy possibilities in June.

GM killed themselves and Pontiac by making bad business decisions, bad vehicles and by falling asleep on the economy and the wants and needs of the North American people. Ford listened, GM didn't and now look who's doing well. GM did this to themselves and they are single handedly responsible for the loss of tens of thousands of jobs. Hope they feel good about FAILURE cause I know those workers won't be when they're starving and having problems keeping their homes cause the fat cats in brass stuffed their own pockets first.
Save Knight Rider Petition Signed #5610

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:41 pm

Now Chrysler went bankrupt and merged with Fiat and will become a new company (I saw an article on that on CNN somewhere, don't have the link handy, sorry).

It's getting crazy.

KnightRiderKR
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightRiderKR » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:01 pm

I don't really care about GM at the moment, Ford has all the magic and were smart enough to stay away from the thug filled current administration.

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant

Post by CJaguar442 » Fri May 01, 2009 10:03 am

GM and Chrysler is going under for three reasons:

1. UAW corruption

2. GM is run by morons who know nothing about cars and just know numbers aka bean counters

3. over regulation and too government interference
Re-elect Mayor Goldie wilson, Progress is his middle name!
Save the Clocktower!
Go Boston Red Sox! Go Boston Bruins! Go Boston Celtics!
Go the distance and he will come!

stelios_z28
FLAG Recruit

Post by stelios_z28 » Fri May 01, 2009 9:51 pm

CJaguar442 wrote:GM and Chrysler is going under for three reasons:

1. UAW corruption

2. GM is run by morons who know nothing about cars and just know numbers aka bean counters

+10

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant

Post by tamatt27 » Fri May 01, 2009 10:42 pm

stelios_z28 wrote:
CJaguar442 wrote:GM and Chrysler is going under for three reasons:

1. UAW corruption

+10
Bob Lutz, GM's Head of Product Development, is known by many as the man responsible for bringing back quality and exciting vehicles. NAFTA and currency manifpulation by the Japanese auto companies had a lot to do with the demise of the Big 3 as well.
KNIGHT RIDER RELOADED is a series of movies on Youtube to represent a different creative avenue to the Knight Rider we knew in 2008-09.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tamatt27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant

Post by CJaguar442 » Sat May 02, 2009 6:49 am

Save Pontiac Petition

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/4/save-p ... e-division" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Re-elect Mayor Goldie wilson, Progress is his middle name!
Save the Clocktower!
Go Boston Red Sox! Go Boston Bruins! Go Boston Celtics!
Go the distance and he will come!

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sat May 02, 2009 8:24 am

Signed!

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant

Post by tamatt27 » Sat May 02, 2009 9:47 am

Pontiac is dead. The fate has been decided already by the Obama Administration.
KNIGHT RIDER RELOADED is a series of movies on Youtube to represent a different creative avenue to the Knight Rider we knew in 2008-09.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tamatt27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

V8 Interceptor
Volunteer

Post by V8 Interceptor » Sat May 02, 2009 10:06 am

KnightRiderKR wrote:That's a really bad excuse right there, just because they sell well in china. Big friggin deal, so thats the reason they sell in another country so we have to put up with the geezer mobiles. If I ran GM right now I'd sell Buick to a chinese company, they can then enjoy them all they want then. Pontiac's problem is their lesser cars are rebadged Chevys, knock that crap off. Dump the G3, G5(rebadged cobalt) and Vibe as well as the Torrent. Make Pontiac strictly performance cars only.
The problem is you should see what GM is selling as a Buick over in China, it is totally world class and definiately superior to the Buicks (and Cadillac's for that matter) that sell over here in the U.S.(except the Enclave and 2010 LaCrosse which is the same), take a look at Buick China's website, I have included the link:

http://www.buick.com.cn/?fromgm=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"I am the Knight Rider, I'm a fuel injected suicide machine, I'm a rocker, I'm a roller, I'm a outacontroller I AM A KNIGHT RIDER BABY!"

KnightRiderKR
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightRiderKR » Sat May 02, 2009 12:59 pm

tamatt27 wrote:Pontiac is dead. The fate has been decided already by the Obama Administration.
Very true. *kicks GM*

kitt34
FLAG Recruit

Post by kitt34 » Sat May 02, 2009 1:28 pm

Sad to say but it's true.

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit

Post by KRAvengerII » Sat May 02, 2009 2:42 pm

And today, there's an article on Yahoo, complete with pic.
KITT: I walked right into that one, didn't I?
Michael: More like Turbo Boosted.

FordFilly82
Operative

Yahoo Pontiac article

Post by FordFilly82 » Sat May 02, 2009 3:39 pm

In deciding to add this or not I found Kitt's article (which is good!)
And I wanted to go ahead and share this link with you all as well.
Enjoy!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090502/ap_ ... lling_star" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Efficient Morphing Mobile Autonomy
KITT: There are not enough hours in the day for me to list everything that confuses you.
Mike: Oh, snap!
Kitt: Yes, Micheal. Snap.

Petition #2507

V8 Interceptor
Volunteer

Post by V8 Interceptor » Sun May 03, 2009 2:41 pm

Automobile mag has an interview from Jim Wangers (a guy that knows a thing or two about Pontiac especially fast ones) that is a bit brief, but speaks volumes about why Pontiac is where it is today.

http://blogs.automobilemag.com/6507316/ ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"I am the Knight Rider, I'm a fuel injected suicide machine, I'm a rocker, I'm a roller, I'm a outacontroller I AM A KNIGHT RIDER BABY!"

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Tue May 05, 2009 6:03 pm

The saddest part is the thousands and thousands of people who are losing their jobs, not just on the assembly line but those in the many other segments of the industry (aside from the dumbass suits) that create every single piece that goes into a car.

Oh and I can't believe no one said anything but congrats Neil on your 3,000th post! :D
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Tue May 05, 2009 11:48 pm

PHOENIXZERO wrote:The saddest part is the thousands and thousands of people who are losing their jobs, not just on the assembly line but those in the many other segments of the industry (aside from the dumbass suits) that create every single piece that goes into a car.

Oh and I can't believe no one said anything but congrats Neil on your 3,000th post! :D
I just noticed that too... after not really finding a good place to post it on the board I just gave up and pmed him :mrgreen:
But yea!! Congrats Neil, big 3000!!! :good:
Thats how old I'll be in a few more months. :P
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Wed May 06, 2009 12:58 am

You know its not only Pontiac that is on the line. GM it self has a big question mark over it.
Chrysler is to merge with FIAT, that would save the company - at least fo a while. Now GM is under the spot light from the Obama administration.
Did you know that GM's Europe is for sale now? and there is a big chance for FIAT -again- to take it?
GM is selling every thing trying to survive. they have even stoped the plans for having the next generation of SUV that include Taho-Yukon-Subarban and Escalade.

no one knows what will be the fate for GM. lets just wait and see Image :kitt:

stelios_z28
FLAG Recruit

Post by stelios_z28 » Wed May 06, 2009 3:44 am

i just hope that the new camaro will finally released...!!!

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant

Post by tamatt27 » Wed May 06, 2009 7:49 am

Knight007 wrote:You know its not only Pontiac that is on the line. GM it self has a big question mark over it.
Chrysler is to merge with FIAT, that would save the company - at least fo a while. Now GM is under the spot light from the Obama administration.
Did you know that GM's Europe is for sale now? and there is a big chance for FIAT -again- to take it?
GM is selling every thing trying to survive. they have even stoped the plans for having the next generation of SUV that include Taho-Yukon-Subarban and Escalade.

GM-Europe isn't for sale, from my understanding. Opel and Vauxhall are the main ones GM is looking for interested partners with. GM should hold on to Opel if they can. The fate of GM? They'll declare Ch. 11 bankrupcy on June 2 with the aid of the Obama Administration. FIAT is about to bite off more than they can chew with Opel.

Radicalas
Operative

Post by Radicalas » Wed May 06, 2009 10:22 am

tamatt27 wrote:
Knight007 wrote:You know its not only Pontiac that is on the line. GM it self has a big question mark over it.

GM-Europe isn't for sale, from my understanding. Opel and Vauxhall are the main ones GM is looking for interested partners with. GM should hold on to Opel if they can. The fate of GM? They'll declare Ch. 11 bankrupcy on June 2 with the aid of the Obama Administration. FIAT is about to bite off more than they can chew with Opel.
FIAT has expressed interest in buying Opel and SAAB. More info here: http://www.saabsunited.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;