pontiacs kitt?

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

MURDOCK
Rookie

pontiacs kitt?

Post by MURDOCK » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:40 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2wg8wiqUsc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In this larson says something about pontiac releaseing a kitt version of the trans am?
What was it like?
Is this correct?
Any pics?

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: pontiacs kitt?

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:20 pm

I believe it never made it past the planning stages or suits talking about it because of the idiots who were wrecking their cars pretending it was KITT. Then there were the safety and legal issues.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

transam82
Rookie

Post by transam82 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:23 pm

If you watch the video again, Larson does say that Pontiac did release a Knight Rider Edition Trans Am, but after some attempted to jump a train, they discountinued the model. Would be interesting to find a advertisment of the Pontiac Trans Am Knight Rider Edition!!!

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Victor Kros » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:14 pm

transam82 wrote:If you watch the video again, Larson does say that Pontiac did release a Knight Rider Edition Trans Am, but after some attempted to jump a train, they discountinued the model. Would be interesting to find a advertisment of the Pontiac Trans Am Knight Rider Edition!!!
Taken from page 9 of The Knight Rider Companion.

Is it true that there were talks to release a version of K.I.T.T. during the 1st season?

"General Motors was so impressed and thrilled with the kind of coverage they were getting prepared to release a model of the Pontiac that was the Knight Rider car. Some guy in New Orleans got an idea to jump a train with the car he had and the General Motors board got to thinking there would be more liability on having this on the road then not so it stopped there." - Glen A. Larson

- Given that companies tend to distance themselves from anything negative, GM likely dissolved all sources connected to the project, which would include artwork or models.

KnightRiderKR
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightRiderKR » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:35 pm

They were better off not doing it, the way people work out some would look for reasons to crap on that model if it were ever made. Personally I'd love a blacked out stock 82 trans am with a modern engine in it.

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:35 am

This is Amazing!!! :shock: never heard about this before. so in other words, if we didnt have people doing stupid things, we would have factory made KITT replicas!!???? wow
but something is not clear to me, did they mean doing a KITT replica inside and outside? I mean including the dash, the steering wheel and all???
Image :kitt:

transam82
Rookie

Post by transam82 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:26 pm

That would have been awesome but expensive, at the time :)

ThomasKnight
Operative

Post by ThomasKnight » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:53 pm

I was really sad when I saw that video, because it could have been a really big turningpoint in cars history :!:
Just think about it: If GM don't lissen to the idiot who wanted to jump over trains?
First of all: who was that guy anyway? :|
Why did GM take him seriously? :?
Why didn't they send him to a sanatorium with asking: think your words and your whole life again pal and then they could lokck him up forever! I mean people like him are mindsick(wako) and they need treatment :!:

If the KITT car could go into pruduction at that time, I sure it could create a big change to the whole auto industrie, because from that time till today probably the thinking about car design and production could change in a very different way effecting that the cars could evolve much faster :!:
Sadly it just could have been a difference that a car made in industries. :?
:kitt:
"One man can make a difference"
Knight Rider forever

Garthe Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Garthe Knight » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:30 am

Victor Kros wrote:
transam82 wrote:If you watch the video again, Larson does say that Pontiac did release a Knight Rider Edition Trans Am, but after some attempted to jump a train, they discountinued the model. Would be interesting to find a advertisment of the Pontiac Trans Am Knight Rider Edition!!!
Taken from page 9 of The Knight Rider Companion.

Is it true that there were talks to release a version of K.I.T.T. during the 1st season?

"General Motors was so impressed and thrilled with the kind of coverage they were getting prepared to release a model of the Pontiac that was the Knight Rider car. Some guy in New Orleans got an idea to jump a train with the car he had and the General Motors board got to thinking there would be more liability on having this on the road then not so it stopped there." - Glen A. Larson

- Given that companies tend to distance themselves from anything negative, GM likely dissolved all sources connected to the project, which would include artwork or models.
I read this story nearly 15 years ago. I don't remember if they were really going for a KITT version of the Trans-Am, but what I do remember is that in the article I read that stunt was the reason why Pontiac didn't want the Trans-Am in the show. So from the end of season 1 KITT was always referred as T-Top or black car, but never again as Trans-Am.

ozikool
FLAG Recruit

Post by ozikool » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:15 pm

I did like the video and the interview with David.
An actor lies when he says that he wants to do the stunts
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ozikool" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; [fans only]
Save Knight Rider: http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/sav ... rider.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;