Dollhouse possibly canceled

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Luis
Rookie

Dollhouse possibly canceled

Post by Luis » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:10 pm

Hey guys,

So Dollhouse seems to be can canceled. The last episode -- ep. 13 -- will not be shown by Fox.

Now is the time for us Knight Rider fans to make A LOT of noise in blogs, Twitter and the comments sections of major websites like Zap2It, TV Guide, Variety, The Hollywood Reporter, etc. We need to remind then that Knight Rider has a GROWTH TREND and a captive audience around the world.

I think NBC is still trying to figure out what to do with the show. I could see Knight Rider replacing Kings, for example. And if NBC decides to cancel, I expect Universal to pick it up and syndicate it across the globe. There's money to be made in KR -- toys, games, you name it.

So go out there and make some noise. Like I said in my Twitter page, "Dollhouse possibly canceled but Knight Rider endures."
:D

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Dollhouse possibly canceled

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:14 pm

Do we really want to endure the insanity and incur the wrath of Joss Whedon fanboys/girls? To be fair, Fox pretty much set it up to fail with that time slot. That and probably just a total lack of interest by people in watching it. I've been meaning to but never got around to watching the first episode or any following it.

I do wonder what the suits at NBC think now that Knight Rider was pretty much their highest rated new show this season even with rather lackluster ratings and yet, stronger competition.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

CrimsonK9
Recruit

Post by CrimsonK9 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:31 pm

More than fanboy rage, do we really want to risk calling a show cancelled without any kind of official announcement? I refuse to validate all the idiots that say KR is cancelled already and we're all just in denial.
-
I'm pretty sure they used to - you know - make waffles!
Ooo, Dr.G., pass the syrup!

I speak nine languages AND I have a card that gets me discounts at participating Red Lobster restaurants!

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:33 am

Hm...well, I did actually catch the first episode of this show and actually gave them credit for trying to come up with a somewhat original concept. Watching Eliza Dushku in all kinds of different outfits certainly didn't hurt, either. I don't know if it was the way the show was formatted or the presentation or what, but I just didn't see how it could last very long unless they cut down the amount of identities Eliza's character had to assume per episode.

Anyway, FOX had it on a Friday night timeslot which as PHOENIXZERO pointed out, was set up for failure from the beginning. Saw it coming a mile away.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

welshKITT
Volunteer

Post by welshKITT » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:55 am

FOX has a long history on axing TV shows with female leads since they are sexist morons. Shows like Dark Angel, Tru Calling and now Dollhouse with maybe Terminator Sarah Connor Chronicles rumored to be next shows how backward FOX is when it comes to shows with female leads.

fragakik
Volunteer

Post by fragakik » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:39 pm

I 'm so sorry to disappoint some of you guys but the dollhouse is NOT cancelled. Quoting from wikipedia:

On April 9, 2009, actress Felicia Day posted on Twitter that the 13th episode of the first season of "Dollhouse," which she guest-starred in, would not air. Whedon refuted speculation that Fox was set to cancel the show, and producer Tim Minear explained that the missing 13th episode would be on the DVD. The reason Minear gave for the episode's being dropped was that Fox was counting a pilot that was reshot as part of the original 13-episode order. :good:

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:44 am

I am not living in the US and dont really understand. how a cancelled show on another network affect KR on NBC??? am I missing something? Image :kitt:

Radicalas
Operative

Post by Radicalas » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:16 am

Knight007: it means, that not only KR is near cancellation, and shows that the problem is not in a show, but in a TV, that less and less people watch TV.

ozikool
FLAG Recruit

Post by ozikool » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:35 pm

Every show is being canceled these days,
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ozikool" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; [fans only]
Save Knight Rider: http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/sav ... rider.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FLAGCEO
Operative

Post by FLAGCEO » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:35 pm

I just watched two episodes of Dollhouse, and while the concept is really wierd, it has a strange appeal to it... kind of sexy, macho, cliffhanger-esque, humorous, and adventuresome. Of course, I could say the same for KR. The difference is that the concept is something that has the feeling of the Tom Cruise movie Minority Report, a little bit of Stallone's Demolition Man, Stepford Wives, Dark Angel and Alias, and some Matrix thrown in, but isn't based on something as novel as the concept of KITT. It's controvertial in that the core concept is something that our society would never condone, kind of like waterboarding, but kind of wonders whether the government does this type of thing in secret.

I think KR's season started off the same way, but that turned people off (although the highest ratings were in the first few weeks of the series). We are all sick of government conspiracy theories - partially because we were learning that they weren't always fantasy - thanks to W. The re-boot returned the series to what it should have been all along - a show about a guy and a car bringing justice to those who cannot defend themselves - but it came so late that not enough people were willing to tune in.

What KR needs is at least a second season to allow for the average viewer to rediscover KR as it now is, rather than what it was at the beginning of season 1. This may mean a new time slot (I think Tuesdays and Wednesdays are just pain bad - maybe Thursdays!) and a heck of a lot more aggressive marketing. Heroes got a LOT of marketing, as did Lost, and they're still doing well. Anyway.... here's to hoping that KR (and Dollhouse) return.
Bring Knight Rider back for Season 2!!

rwmu
Operative

Post by rwmu » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:49 am

The loss of Dollhouse would be a shame its one of the few new fresh ideas on TV. The main problems with the show as far as I can see that the general public have is a) Its shown from the bad guys point of view and b) its on a slow cook. Been from the other side of the pond to most of you we understand that better so it appeals to us more.

As to its source if you don't watch the show regularly you'd have missed the refrence the true source is of course R.U.R. - Rossums Universal Robots on of the earliest SF plays.
Είναι καλύτερο να θεωρηθεί ως ανόητος, από να ανοιχτεί το στόμα σας και να αφαιρεθεί όλη η αμφιβολία.

ozikool
FLAG Recruit

Post by ozikool » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:30 pm

What is dollhouse ?
Is it Sci-Fi?
What does this have to do with Knight Rider ?
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ozikool" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; [fans only]
Save Knight Rider: http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/sav ... rider.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rwmu
Operative

Post by rwmu » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:37 am

In order

The creators of Buffy and Angel latest show, its about programable peoplw (The Dolls of the title)

Yes it is

Its connection with KR08 is they are both in the same sinking boat, the OP seems to think if Dollhouse goes down KR08 might be in with a chance of survival. To be honest if any show is a threat to KR08 its Fringe.
Είναι καλύτερο να θεωρηθεί ως ανόητος, από να ανοιχτεί το στόμα σας και να αφαιρεθεί όλη η αμφιβολία.

ozikool
FLAG Recruit

Post by ozikool » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:00 am

Oh,ok ,thanks

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:51 am

oh great, now we have a new problem.
What is Fringe??? is it on NBC also??? Image :kitt:

Wesmagyar
Stranger

Post by Wesmagyar » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:59 am

i still haven't forgiven fox for Firefly....
its not even the fact that they hatchet jobbed it.... its the fact that they wouldn't let another network air it. 3 other networks where willing and able to take it in but fox blocked em....
im not even a big joss fan. i liked buffy the movie but never got into the tv series and angel was bad... but meh...
as for nbc they have a history of axing any kind of good show i mean come on people JOURNEYMAN ROCKED! ... and keeping drivel such as E.R. on the air way paste its expiration date.

Rainack
FLAG Recruit

Post by Rainack » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:28 am

Knight007 wrote:oh great, now we have a new problem.
What is Fringe??? is it on NBC also??? Image :kitt:
I'm not sure how Fringe could be a problem for KR08, as it is on Tuesdays at 9.
Anyway, if you want to know what Fringe is, think the X-Files. It's the same kind of a concept. I've really been enjoying it. Fringe is on Fox.
To read my fanfictions, go to fanfiction.net and search for my screen name, Rainack.

Shadowy Flight
Rookie
Location: Deadman's Curve (between Silicon Valley and Millston)

Post by Shadowy Flight » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:28 am

Dollhouse canceled? Great! Now Eliza Dushku can play the role she was born to play, Dr. Bonnie Barstow in the Knight Rider movie. Do you remember her in Tru Calling wearing the labcoat? She's serious but sexy like Patricia McPherson. I challenge anyone to think of someone better for that role.
Nothing gold can stay. The Sun sets and it becomes a purple desert...then you get run over by a black car!!!

LeslieGruffod
Rookie

Post by LeslieGruffod » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:46 am

Dollhouse, like Knight Rider, hit its stride further on in the season, and both shows deserve a 2nd season based on the quality of their output.

The latest is that Fox is a fan of the show and have told Whedon it isn't cancelled:
http://www.fearnet.com/news/b15344_pale ... _goes.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of course this doesn't mean it will be renewed, and being fans of the show never stops a cancellation (Farscape anyone?).

The 13th episode also sounds like a one-off, that bares little resemblance to the dollhouse universe, and was an indulgence of Joss Whedon, rather than part of his vision (please read the above link for more).

FLAGCEO
Operative

Post by FLAGCEO » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:52 pm

Airlock Alpha (http://www.airlockalpha.com) is also reporting that Fox has ordered a second season of Dollhouse due to its stability in viewership, despite lack luster ratings. They're planning to move it to a new night as well, possibly next to "24".

The reasoning seems to be that although the actual ratings are not great, they're remaining relatively stable, unlike some of their other shows (Sarah Conner).

I think the same could be said for KR, in that our ratings aren't the greatest, but (1) they're relatively consistent each week (with the occasional spike upwards), and (2) KR has consistently been one of the top 3 shows in its time slot, sometimes #2 to AI.

Now if only NBC sees it this way too and takes a chance on it the way Fox seems to be with Dollhouse.

By the way, I agree that Eliza Dushku is pretty darn hot. But I keep thinking of her as the pre-pubescent daughter of Arnold Schwartnegger and Jamie Lee Curtis in True Lies. Dollhouse was largely her idea, and she has her own production company producing the show. Her acting skills are much better than I imagined, except when she plays her pre-doll "real" self - it looks fake. She does a good job once she's on a mission, despite the variety of personalities she impersonates from week to week.

Having said that, still I don't think she'd make a good "Bonnie" - there's no one like the original.
Bring Knight Rider back for Season 2!!