Almost bought the Knight Rider 2010 car

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

othermoviecars
Volunteer

Almost bought the Knight Rider 2010 car

Post by othermoviecars » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:45 am

I have been negotiating for about 3 months with an auto dismantling junkyard in Ridgecrest which has the one and only prop car from "Knight Rider 2010". I was buying it with the intent to make it a wierd-as-hell daily driver to replace my commuter car which was on borrowed time. Well, the commuter car just got a lot worse so I dropped the original Knight Rider car and picked up a low mileage BMW 7 series instead to do a "Tomorrow Never Dies" James Bond car.

Currently it looks like the Knight Rider car is complete with the original hydraulic system to run the gadgets (including a functioning, aimable air-powered grenade launcher... that's not exactly street legal!)

Long story short, the yard wasn't the easiest to deal with, not because they were nasty per-se but because they were so short staffed that despite weekly calls they couldn't spare any personnel for an hour to show me the thing. They're still holding the car for me and have all of my contact info, so I figured before I called them to call it off I'd see if anyone was interested in picking up an original movie car on the cheap because if the yard heard from multiple buyers there's a distinct possibility the price would start going up or they'd decide it wasn't worth the hassle for the cheap price and would just crush the thing outright... it's sitting in a yard which is being decommissioned as we speak.

I was dead serious about buying this thing and using it as a daily driver so I've done a lot of legwork on it which is free to anyone who wants it... I tracked down the full VIN report (it only had 20K miles before being shipped to Universal), had a chat with the CA DMV, talked with several restoration shops who were all interested including the shop in Hollywood who built some of the cars for the 2008 series, found several low mileage donor cars since the engine is missing... everything possible without seeing the thing in person. Plus I tracked down some connections with the original builders and production staff from the flick, so you'd probably end up with a stack of provenance when you were done. Nate at Star Cars and Paul Casey from the festival were all looking forward to seeing this thing at the festival.

All of the info is free to anyone who is interested, as long as you promise to let me fire the grenade launcher when you finish restoring it. Hell, I'll even drive up to the yard once to if it helps close the deal because I'm still curious how all of the gadgets were put together.

The cost to fully restore this thing was about the cheapest turnkey movie car I had ever seen, your cost out the door for a street legal driver is well under $10K, less if you do the work yourself, but I couldn't wait because I was on borrowed time with my current commuter car so I snatched up the low mileage bondmobile when I saw it.

Any takers? If so, email me and I'll send you a thick envelope with everything I've got. If nobody is interested I'll call the yard and tell them to let the car off the hook sometime this week.

Cheers

--Brian

Josch Schulz
FLAG Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Almost bought the Knight Rider 2010 car

Post by Josch Schulz » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:40 pm

@Brian

Its a while since somebody say something hu :mrgreen: I see this thread very late but I am interestet in the car. I want it what does it cost and what infos you have for me. Mayby its possible to come up with a deal by the end of the year. We are from North Carolina, so we have to find a way to get it. Time comes and we talk:

Lars aka Josch Knight
There's nothing worse than a smart-ass automobile

Josch Schulz
FLAG Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Almost bought the Knight Rider 2010 car

Post by Josch Schulz » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:52 pm

Hey

Its me again, I never forget you here and I never forget the KR 2010 car. Finaly next year I buy myself a Ford Thunderbird and we get the car over but I wanna stay in touch with you for updates

Lars
There's nothing worse than a smart-ass automobile