question about the Ki3t pic of the knight rider festival

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Knight-industry-2008
Recruit

question about the Ki3t pic of the knight rider festival

Post by Knight-industry-2008 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:39 am

i've got an question about the ki3t the pic of the hero Ki3t was different then the hero ki3t of the series and when i looked the new 09 ford mustang shelby gt500kr and the car has extra lights in his bumper and the hero ki3t of the series only had two sets of lights under in his bumper but the 09 ford mustang shelby gt500kr has an extra sets of lights so why put so much effort into a car if the shows canceld Image 09 mustang shelby gt500kr 08 mustang shelby gt500krImage
also the glass roof top is a new feature

ozikool
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: question about the Ki3t pic of the knight rider festival

Post by ozikool » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:48 am

The bottom picture is a 500 not a 500KR.
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ozikool" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; [fans only]
Save Knight Rider: http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/sav ... rider.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GT500KR
FLAG Recruit

Post by GT500KR » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:37 pm

The top car (GT500KR), is a One of One which was sold to Ron Pratte at the Barrett-Jackson a few years ago.

also if u are talking about the top car have those 2 silver round thing in the front bumper, those are brake cooling deductions, not lights
"My wife asks me, why you do those burnouts? Well.....you do it for the kids, you know, Im not being immature. You just.....well you do it for the kids."
~Jay Leno

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:35 am

Ford made the KR mustang long before and will long after Knight Rider if that is what you are asking. I'm not so sure I understood the question.
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

DevonStyles
FLAG Recruit

Post by DevonStyles » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:29 pm

Now that I am back to work, I was moved to a new line and I just found out I make interior parts for the mustang.
edited by the good folks at knightrideronline

MR2NR
FLAG Recruit

Post by MR2NR » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:18 pm

BTW I asked Gary Patterson and Richard ?? from Shelby Motorsports about The participation they had in Knight Rider and they said all that they did was send NBC "a ton" of parts that they used on a GT Mustang as the 4.6/Automatic Tranny is more dependable for a stunt car and also why KI3T is only seen with an automatic transmission. So even KI3T isn't really a KR unless you ask Dr. Graiman :).
Sue wrote:Ford made the KR mustang long before and will long after Knight Rider if that is what you are asking. I'm not so sure I understood the question.
Actually Sue the GT500KR run is done with and it ended very close to the series first season ending :) The "limited edition numbers" run is over and all they are making at Shelby are Super Snakes now which look similar but are not KR's.

Here is a few pics from when i visited the Shelby shop/museum Monday.

K.R.A.M. Knight Reformulation Automated Machine 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo.

To the people who made the Knight Rider Festival possible especially Paul Casey. Thank You! See you all and more in 2012 :kitt2:

Slim_Knight
Operative

Post by Slim_Knight » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:02 pm

Those pics from the Shelby shop/museum are very nice. Makes me wish that I was done with college and making lots of monies.
KITT: Michael, your blood alcohol level is far too high to allow you to take the wheel.
MIKE: That’s fine. I don’t wanna drive anyway. I want a burger. Take me to a drive-thru.

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:34 pm

Oh really no KRs? Thats sad. Not that any of us could afford one. Image
Do you suppose they will do it again in a few years when the economy is better?
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

GT500KR
FLAG Recruit

Post by GT500KR » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:39 am

Sue wrote:Oh really no KRs? Thats sad. Not that any of us could afford one. Image
they might make a KR again, i know alot of dealers are having problems selling them, a silver and blue KR near my home has been in the showroom for a couple of months now.
"My wife asks me, why you do those burnouts? Well.....you do it for the kids, you know, Im not being immature. You just.....well you do it for the kids."
~Jay Leno

MR2NR
FLAG Recruit

Post by MR2NR » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:33 am

Sue wrote:Oh really no KRs? Thats sad. Not that any of us could afford one. Image
Oh ya they could do another run but not for another couple mustang generations (10-15 years). It won't look much like KI3T :). The KR was a 45th anniversary type thing also so it may be the last run if Carroll can hold out that long.

To the people who made the Knight Rider Festival possible especially Paul Casey. Thank You! See you all and more in 2012 :kitt2:

GarthKnight08
FLAG Recruit

Post by GarthKnight08 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:49 am

GT500KR wrote:
Sue wrote:Oh really no KRs? Thats sad. Not that any of us could afford one. Do you suppose they will do it again in a few years when the economy is better?
they might make a KR again, i know alot of dealers are having problems selling them, a silver and blue KR near my home has been in the showroom for a couple of months now.
They cant sell them because they want $100,000 dollars for a car that really is only worth $45,000, sorry but myself & basiclly 99% of the world doesnt think a name is worth almost $60,000 more than what the car is! The perfomance of it is in no way in any shape or form worth $100k! That is exotic supercar territory & the only american car for that price is a new ZR1 & the Vettes performance completely destroys the KR.

I myself love the KR & would have that over any other Mustang but the better value is in the Super Snake or Saleen/Roush Mustang for the money. Ford & Shelby made a terrible mistake making a mediocre car like that so exclusive, i mean come on its not a Ferrari or Lamborghini & they should have made it easy to obtain with just a upgrade package to the GT500.

And also by where i live sits a silver KR with blue stripes that has been there for ages & when i went in the showroom to check it out & asked the sales manager how many people had a serious interest his reply was "a whole lotta people were interested but none serious or could afford it"
Founder of OKA (Original KITT Anonymous)
If you need to get out feelings of loss for the Original KITT then we can help!

FLAGCEO
Operative

Post by FLAGCEO » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:11 am

Shelby produced the KR back in 1968 for the first time, and I think for the last time until 2008, both times in limited production (2008 was limited to 1500 cars). It was because of the 40th aniversarry that they chose to bring back the KR (or "King of the Road") as a special edition. It is reportedly the most powerful version of the mustang in production currently.

Interestingly, at the time of the production of the backdoor pilot in 2007 (when they were preparing to film it), Shelby only had ONE prototype of the 2008 GT500KR, so the producers had to basically customize a few Mustang GTs to LOOK like the KR. Since at the time (and even now) only Shelby had the KR custom hood, the producers had to take a mold of the KR's hood from Shelby and manufacture their own hoods for their GTs. There are a few noticable differences in the cars:

- obviously the automatic transmission (the KR ONLY comes in a short-throw manual transmission)
- the grille/side/rear cobra badge - the actual production KR's cobra says "40th Aniverarry" on a banner that extends onto both sides of the cobra.
- interior is different (although the upholstry was done pretty accurately in the show car), the steering wheel is obviously different, and where KITT's voice "orb" is located there is a metal plate with the production number and certification by Shelby that the car is an authentic Shelby GT500KR.
- of course the engine, tranny, brakes, suspension, literally every functional part of the car itself is different too.

But you really can't tell the difference when looking at the outside of the car except for the cobra badge difference, which is what makes it so amazing - you can actually have a car now valued at about $10K, modify it with another $5K worth of exterior customized parts, and make it look like a car worth $50K-$100K - or better yet - a replica of the show car itself.
Bring Knight Rider back for Season 2!!

MR2NR
FLAG Recruit

Post by MR2NR » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:31 am

Ya it is a name car for the money. You really are just filthy rich if you own one because the depreciation is horendus :).

FLAGCEO
Operative

Post by FLAGCEO » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:14 pm

I just found something interesting as I watched a clip from the beginning of Knight of the Iguana, just before KITT drives out of the SSC with the surf boards strapped to his roof. They showed various very quick close-ups of KITT's body, including the rear badge. Here's a screenshot:

(instead I'm getting the message "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.")

The screenshot shows the badge for a GT500 - NOT the KR.
Bring Knight Rider back for Season 2!!

DevonStyles
FLAG Recruit

Post by DevonStyles » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:32 pm

My 2000 ram air Trans am can run with the Mustang.... It's 9 years old..... That car is not woth the price. Mustang ruined it's sports car herritage by throwing 4 and six cyllinders in them, and selling to women... No offense ladies.
edited by the good folks at knightrideronline

GarthKnight08
FLAG Recruit

Post by GarthKnight08 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:29 pm

DevonStyles wrote:My 2000 ram air Trans am can run with the Mustang.... It's 9 years old..... That car is not woth the price. Mustang ruined it's sports car herritage by throwing 4 and six cyllinders in them, and selling to women... No offense ladies.
GM put 4 & 6 cylinders in the Firebird too Devon, does that make your car lose its sports car heritage also? And the car companys put those engines in base models so more people could afford the car & have cheaper insurance to sell more units. Losing its sports car heritage because of lesser models is the most ridiculous thing ive read in awhile! Women had nothing to do with it dude! In fact ive seen more women driving Firebirds than men lol!

K.A.C.I.
Operative

Post by K.A.C.I. » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:26 pm

DevonStyles wrote:My 2000 ram air Trans am can run with the Mustang.... It's 9 years old..... That car is not woth the price. Mustang ruined it's sports car herritage by throwing 4 and six cyllinders in them, and selling to women... No offense ladies.
To paraphrase KITT, there are not enough hours in the day to list the cars that can, to use your wording, "run with" the Mustang. My Jeep Cherokee can out-accelerate a 2000 Mustang GT(I've done this), and it's a fifteen-year-old 4-liter inline six.
The GT500KR and its cousin, the Super Snake, are an ENTIRELY different matter - not even the Challenger SRT8, with its 6.1-liter V8, can run with those beasts.

And your comment about how "Mustang ruined its sports car heritage(which you misspelled) by selling to women"...well, to put it politely, that's just ridiculous. First, Ford has no control over who buys their cars any more than GM does, so blaming one manufacturer for who's buying their cars, but not holding another to the same standard is nonsense.
Second, I for one see pretty much equal parts men and women driving Mustangs in my neck of the woods. I do, however, see more women than men drive Firebirds/Trans-Ams.

Incidentally, the 500KR put out 550hp(its cousin the Super Snake is a 605-horse beast). From what I've been reading, the next-generation GT500 will be available with a 540-horse V8. So yeah, it(The GT500KR) is a horrendously overpriced car for narcissistic assclowns who have nothing better to do than flush money down the toilet.
Knight Autonomous Cyber-Automotive Interceptor

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:05 am

This is just new info for me :shock: we have an old KR version!! and KR stands for King of Road. WOW Image :kitt:

GarthKnight08
FLAG Recruit

Post by GarthKnight08 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:09 am

What funny is that the new GT500 does put out 540hp & is setup the same as the KR as the new GT is setup like the Bullet, now you get basiclly the same car for nearly half the price!

ozikool
FLAG Recruit

Post by ozikool » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:24 pm

I see why KR stands for King of the ROAD . long live (I think)
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ozikool" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; [fans only]
Save Knight Rider: http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/sav ... rider.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:31 am

Its not that good also, I have to say. check Youtube: Top Gear - GT500.
they didnt like it on the show Image :kitt:

GarthKnight08
FLAG Recruit

Post by GarthKnight08 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:27 am

Knight007 wrote:Its not that good also, I have to say. check Youtube: Top Gear - GT500.
Not everything on Top Gear is accurate, they are particularlly bias against American cars.

MR2NR
FLAG Recruit

Post by MR2NR » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:42 am

Knight007 wrote:Its not that good also, I have to say. check Youtube: Top Gear - GT500.
Now I doubt Richard didn't like it!! (He has a couple Mustangs) and Jeremy is just nuts as he bought a Ford GT :oops: and James is too old to care.

The car reviewers in the states usually use a panel of 15 guys and then ask 100 people and then take it to another panel for their thoughts??!!! Hell the Ford Fiesta scored great :x

Top Gear is the best automotive review show out there and there is a reason they have been bashing most American cars. Because most American cars do suck :)!!! But deep down they like a good old Mustang and Corvette because these cars do one thing really well ==========GO FAST!!!

Solid Snake
FLAG Recruit

Post by Solid Snake » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:43 am

Top Gear tested the Mustang GT extensively and tried to bash it, but really could not... they let Hammond drive it back when it came out in 2005 and he did a roadtrip with it. And he came back saying that he did (to his surprise) like it and that even the odd corner that they did with the car went well and smooth, and it was pretty good... and unlike how they expected it to go. He saw that this car had a purpose and it makes sense... it is a car designed to stand out of all the other tin boxes and still be used for fun and or everyday driving. They figured that the new car could not live up to the old Mustangs charm... but somehow it did and still does.

Now to the GT500, that is a bit different, that was a car with a bigger engine and more power, but hardly any tweaks to improve its handling. This resulted in a car that can burn rubber and go fast in a straight line with no effort, Top Gear tested the car (shortly) and basically noticed what I just said above. To compensate for that Shelby with Ford released the KR with added (race tuned) suspension tweaks to make it handle better than a regular GT500. So in essence, though similar, the GT500 and GT500KR are very different in their details to each other and that makes a LOT of difference in a performance car. But seeing how the KR was a limited edition vehicle intended for collectors, the cars production numbers were kept low. However, the car sold out so fast that demand for extra KR's was still very much there. So Ford increased the production numbers (i think they doubled it to a total of 1,571 units), initially they only planned to build only 825 KR's. So in terms of a collectors car, the car is a success. For the people that want more power (up to 725 hp) there is the Mustang Super Snake which is also look wise similar to the KR but it is a very different beast underneath.

Sorry that I went all "Knerd" here but I had to clarify some things.
Knight Rider, powered by Ford!