IT ALL STARTED FROM A JOKE

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

NN11
Operative

IT ALL STARTED FROM A JOKE

Post by NN11 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:18 am

I FOUND THIS INTERISTING ARTICLE IN IMDB
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083437/trivia

According to Brandon Tartikoff, the head of programming at NBC during the 1980s, the inspiration for the series came about when NBC executives started complaining about the problems of casting handsome leading men in TV series, because many of them couldn't act. Tartikoff and his assistant came up with a concept for a TV show called, "The Man of Six Words". Each show would begin with the leading man getting out of a woman's bed and saying, "Thank you." Occasionally, throughout the show, the leading man would say, "Okay," when receiving orders from his boss. Then he would chase down some villains and say "Freeze!" Finally, when the people he had saved from death would thank him, he would say, "You're welcome." For the rest of the show, the car would do all the talking. Although Tartikoff had meant the pitch to be a joke, the NBC executives liked the idea of a TV show about a man with a talking car, and approved it for development.

KITT_Vs._KARR
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: IT ALL STARTED FROM A JOKE

Post by KITT_Vs._KARR » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:25 am

:dance: :whistle:

Never mind...

:roll:

:kitt: Vs. :karr:
There is the best, then the Rest!

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:59 am

really amazing looking back at these points and reading them. specially the joke part where it resulted to have KR.
but this makes me wounder, how did NBC get KR08??? did it start with another joke? I mean who really walked into NBC's offices one morning and said "remember the hit from 1980's KR? how about doint it again?" Image :kitt:

knightendo77
Operative

Post by knightendo77 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:34 am

NN11 wrote:I FOUND THIS INTERISTING ARTICLE IN IMDB

According to Brandon Tartikoff, the head of programming at NBC during the 1980s, the inspiration for the series came about when NBC executives started complaining about the problems of casting handsome leading men in TV series, because many of them couldn't act. Tartikoff and his assistant came up with a concept for a TV show called, "The Man of Six Words". Each show would begin with the leading man getting out of a woman's bed and saying, "Thank you." Occasionally, throughout the show, the leading man would say, "Okay," when receiving orders from his boss. Then he would chase down some villains and say "Freeze!" Finally, when the people he had saved from death would thank him, he would say, "You're welcome." For the rest of the show, the car would do all the talking. Although Tartikoff had meant the pitch to be a joke, the NBC executives liked the idea of a TV show about a man with a talking car, and approved it for development.
Nice one NN11! For a couple of weeks last year I reappeared here after a long absence (due to moving between various houses and jobs etc for about a year or so) as "Knight_Neural_Centre" (which I realised was a terrible name when I was able to come back full-time this year lol and reverted to my old screename :)) and posted a reply which also contained this but I had no proof of it, only the recollection of reading it somewhere on a Knight Rider site. It's nice to finally have someone else post about it, along with a link, especially after the reaction I got!! Lol! It's here: viewtopic.php?f=1042&t=11965&p=143155#p143140
knightendo77
"I'm a Goofy Goober."

I'm on Bebo - knightendo_phil

NN11
Operative

Post by NN11 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:21 am

welcome back knightendo77,my previous user name was kenick and i changed it to nn11

necrophilissimo
Rookie

Post by necrophilissimo » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:57 am

The irony here is that despite the original consept, the role of 'man of six words' was played by one of the best TV actors of the era :)
TAGAP: The Apocalyptic Game About Penguins - Join the penguin apocalypse!

ozikool
FLAG Recruit

Post by ozikool » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:20 pm

Yes it did start as a joke but lucky it came true
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ozikool" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; [fans only]
Save Knight Rider: http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/sav ... rider.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:02 am

ozikool wrote:

Yes it did start as a joke but lucky it came true
And what a joke it turned out to be!!!! other than KR, do you know any other show that made a come back on TV and still a live with people the way KR does?? Image :kitt:

knightendo77
Operative

Post by knightendo77 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:47 am

Battlestar Galactica and Doctor Who spring to mind ;) And the BBC are currently enjoying success with a new Survivors... and Day of the Triffids is coming later this year starring Eddie Izzard - can't wait! :D
knightendo77
"I'm a Goofy Goober."

I'm on Bebo - knightendo_phil

ozikool
FLAG Recruit

Post by ozikool » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:36 am

Its amazing what jokes can do.
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ozikool" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; [fans only]
Save Knight Rider: http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/sav ... rider.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:08 pm

He he cool trivia.
Teenage mutant ninja turtles was all a joke too.
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

ozikool
FLAG Recruit

Post by ozikool » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:59 pm

Sue wrote:He he cool trivia.
Haha It is just amazing,Jokes

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:07 am

Sue wrote:He he cool trivia.
this is new :lol: how you mean?? Image :kitt:

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:59 am

So how does this story fit with the idea that Glenn Larson created Knight Rider?
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:39 pm

Rockatteer wrote:So how does this story fit with the idea that Glenn Larson created Knight Rider?
Oh I know that cause its only one page two of Nick's book and I've managed to read that far. (Sorry Joe if it was in yours too, I got Nicks for free and I'm cheap :mrgreen: )
*clears throat*
I had found out they had gone to everyone on the lot first, so I was the last one on their list. We actually ran the screen tests in my projection room at Fox and I was flattered that they thought I was the only guy that could do something fresh with something involving a car since they turned down eight producers before they chose me, including Chris Crawl and Don Bellisario.
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.