Knight Rider might have been cancelled: two sources

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: Matthew, neps, Michael Pajaro

Bishop37
Recruit
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:55 pm

Re: Knight Rider might have been cancelled: two sources

Post by Bishop37 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:37 pm

Mr.Marcus wrote:Well there's no way to win with you guys. If they put KR in a friday/saturday night time slot you would be arguing that no one was watching it b/c those nights suck for tv. NBC puts it on a Wed. night slot and surprisingly does not move it at all during its entire run, thereby giving it a great opportunity to build a cumulative audience, and you guys are complaining that its up against AI.

The bottom line is this. KR found its audience. They were the 5 million who tuned in every week. It wasn't going to increase beyond that. It just wasn't good enough to score 8+ million viewers and certainly wasn't good enough to score 10+ million viewers. No time change, day change, or more promotions was going to do that.

If this was CW we might be looking at a solid renewal. But its NBC and 5 million won't cut it. A better business decision is to put a new show in there and see if it takes off, if not cancel it and repeat, and so on until they get a hit show.


Quoted for truth.

The only way I could see the show surviving is Ford being really pleased with its product placement and asking NBC to keep it on somehow, maybe as a mid-season replacement.

What many people fail to realise is you can't take the 'business' part out of showbusiness. The series is a lame duck as far as the bean counters are concerned.

I think if the series had been like it was in the last few episodes it may have stood more of a chance. It's a shame because they were finally getting it right, but GST dropped the ball after the pilot.

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 310
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:13 am

Re: Knight Rider might have been cancelled: two sources

Post by Mr.Marcus » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:01 pm

Sty Knight wrote:
Mr.Marcus wrote:Well there's no way to win with you guys. If they put KR in a friday/saturday night time slot you would be arguing that no one was watching it b/c those nights suck for tv. NBC puts it on a Wed. night slot and surprisingly does not move it at all during its entire run, thereby giving it a great opportunity to build a cumulative audience, and you guys are complaining that its up against AI.

The bottom line is this. KR found its audience. They were the 5 million who tuned in every week. It wasn't going to increase beyond that. It just wasn't good enough to score 8+ million viewers and certainly wasn't good enough to score 10+ million viewers. No time change, day change, or more promotions was going to do that.

If this was CW we might be looking at a solid renewal. But its NBC and 5 million won't cut it. A better business decision is to put a new show in there and see if it takes off, if not cancel it and repeat, and so on until they get a hit show.


Your logic is flawed though. 5 Million won't cut it for NBC? I can't see much on their station doing better besides a few shows. Friday Night Lights has been a failure since last season but they kept it on TV. It's rated lower than Knight Rider is. It's all about the money for NBC and Ford is a cash infusion right now with KR on TV. That factors in a bit different than say Bionic Woman cause they didn't have a major sponsor for that show. Like I mentioned in the other topic, Ford's sponsorship could have a lot to do with KR getting a second season.

Knight Rider can get 6 million viewers because the ratings have been increasing. If we had a few more shows, then we might have exceeded 6 million once again. My Own Worst Enemy was canceled right away and yet KR has been on TV since the beginning. If it was truly that bad for NBC, it would have been gone before now.

An NBC rep will be at the KR festival and I'm sure if a second season is to come, chances are it will be announced there. If KR was as bad as you claim Mr. Marcus, there is no denying it would have been gone before now.


There's no logical flaw. You just conveniently left out the fact that FNL has received a ton of critical acclaim and awards. Since NBC has been reduced to bottom of the barrel in network TV since Friends went off the air and Zucker left his creative post, its in their best interest to keep a critically acclaimed show on the air despite its ratings. That's something that KR sadly does not have. Its the polar opposite. Every credible media source has blasted it.

You really think NBC kept it around b/c its good? KR is the first series in recent memory where not a single popular media source has showered praise on it. They can't all be wrong right? I mean there has to be one of them - EW, Variety that came out and said KR was actually good right?

It never occurred to you that there was probably a clause in the contract b/w NBC and Ford that stipulated KR gets at least one season? KR is the first network show where the entire series is product driven. If you're Ford you don't enter into an agreement like that without getting value for the dollar. Which in this case looked like a Wed night time slot and a season order.

And advertising wouldn't have helped get bigger numbers. The show was not moved from its time slot since it aired. Months it was on the same day, same time. If people aren't tuning in its b/c they aren't interested. Simple as that. Its all been excuses from you guys when the reality is the actual show wasn't all that good. Even its best episodes were severely lacking. And why people to this day are saying "Its starting to get better, just give it a chance." HELLO? When is it going to get better? Episode 45? LMAO.

User avatar
Honeykitt
Rookie
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:46 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Arizona

Re: Knight Rider might have been cancelled: two sources

Post by Honeykitt » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:01 pm

Victor Kros wrote:
Knight94 wrote:IF KR08 is cancelled, and that is a big "IF", it's partially because of those who crapped all over it, wanting it
cancelled. Some said it's cuz it's not the original, that ONLY the ORIGINAL will do. Some because they hate
KR anyway. Either way, they wanted to take it away from those of us who do like it and wanna see it stay.
I personally hope it's just the end of the season, not the series. Those of you who keep hating on it, don't
watch. Change the channel a'ready.


I disagree with you compeltely. Your statement makes absolutely no sense considering that Knight Rider has FAILED TO HOLD SUSTAINED RATINGS, NBC doesn't care whether you support the show or not or even if you like or hate it, all it cares about is the RATINGS and obviously no matter what excuses people keep trying to invent for its lack of direction, story development, design, character development, promotion, etc. the bottom line is that not enough people are watching it and that is why it's in danger of getting placed on the chopping block.

Changing the channel because "you don't like it" kills your ratings and in broadcast that equals failure.

Your support doesn't matter and it doesn't make a difference to the studio brass who don't even get what Knight Rider is about. They have to "get it", they have to understand that ratings is not the measuring stick to what makes a successful show.

The fans DO matter and they SHOULD make a difference. Here we are telling them everything that would keep us watching. We give them free advice better than any focus group on what we like to see and what we don't like to see and apparently that doesn't matter because the episodes are shot so rapid fire that when they try to change things, it's already too late and they've blown through half their budget!

They have to accept that if they want a #1 show, they need to create a #1 show and give a #1 show the budget it needs to have a lasting run. Clearly with its third attempt at "rebooting" itself, this series has finally reached potential enough to sustain an audience and win over some new followers but it is not where it needs to be to go four seasons. The fact it has to "hope" it can get a second season speaks to its lack of lasting potential.

Those are the key words "lasting potential". Make a show that is designed TO LAST, not just to peddle a car or some other product. Don't design a show that is meant to rely on slang or just sex appeal.

If it were planned better from the start, it wouldn't have this issue now and it would have had enough money left to turn things around. Now it's plagued with people trying to save a sinking ship that has been patched together more than once. The result is we get episode inconsistancies which distract from our ability to follow along with the story for the week. Jumbling up episode orders is always a risky venture but when you have no other choice...at least you try to turn things around and I commend them for the effort.

The blame doesn't lie with the fans whether you're an advocate of preserving the respect of TOS or if you don't care about the original mythology and just go along for the ride with this "new mythology" - the blame lies with NBC's lack of respect or care to make a #1 show with lackluster planning, sloppy writing, and frivilous spending FROM THE START.

They value product placement over substance. Knight Rider is a show where YOU NEED TO WRECK CARS at some point, the whole appeal of Knight Rider aside from "One Man Can Make a Difference" (which is now a team apparently) is seeing this super advanced car take a beating and keep on ticking. Turbo Boost should not be the stunt of the week, it should be the norm with KITT. It's one function that is unique to K.I.T.T. alone (and you could debate KARR). Ski Mode, grappling hook, crashing through solid objects...these were all a given in the original series for one general purpose, to make us believe that KITT was virtually indestructable and unique.

So please stop playing the "all the haters, all the people who hate the show, all the original TOS who watch things through rose tinted glasses are the reason this series is getting cancelled" card and really do some credible research instead of creating yet another thread of unecessary whining.

I'm really exhausted with reading posts where people keep pointing fingers at "haters" and original series fans as if we're the downfall of the great new Knight Rider utopia. Face the fact that some people like this show and some people do not.

That's our god given right as viewers to decide what we find "good" and what we think "sucks". It's our right to say what works and what doesn't work. You can't police people's objective views because you happen to watch the series with the perspective that it's figuratively the best thing since sliced bread. If you like the show great but respect the opinions of those who choose not to.

Stop pointing fingers at other viewers and point them at THE STUDIO.

Our opinions don't matter when they're using focus groups that know nothing about Knight Rider to begin with. Unless NBC is going back to Comic Con or promoting that they want to know what you think about the series - you're just numbers to them. If you were anything more, they would be blitzing fans with merchandise, with hot wheels cars, with everything you as fans ask them to give you in order to keep your attention focused on their series. NBC would be running commercials consistantly and marketing Knight Rider as agressively as they started. I mean they even had a standee in a movie theater! They went that tenacious with their marketing campaign...

Then what happened? All that promotion, all those billboards just disappeared and if that's not a clear sign of the studio having their doubts, I really don't know what is.

Where are the t-shirts, where is the merchandise? Short of a few choice tradeshows...you get NOTHING.

They don't have the budget right? Yet look how much they've invested in Heroes merchandise which is now collecting dust on the clearance isles of Toys R Us, while Shelby GT500KRs are flying off the shelves.

Here's an idea! Stop making crappy merchandise for shows that aren't pulling their weight and start putting money into what people ASK FOR. It's the old saying - GIVE THE PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT.

Start off small to test the market if need be but really...do SOMETHING. Clearly it is a well known fact that toys of the original KITT sell like hot cakes. Ebay is littered with people clammering to get Knight Rider merchandise from t-shirts to posters to signed photos and KITT cars. The Joyride KITT was so sought after, they had to do a second release just to meet demand!

You Knight Rider 08 fans want to make a difference and keep Knight Rider on the air? Tell people to keep watching it...even if they hate it. To NBC all that is going to matter is the ratings.

Not your letters of support, not your passion, not you opinions, not your advice.

ratings.

If Knight Rider gets renewed in NBC's eyes, it's not because anyone made a difference to them, it is not because they have a "good show", it will be because it's the best of the worst. They would rather renew an existing series with an established questionable fan base than take a chance on a new set of pilots that may not go anywhere.

If it's renewed, no matter the reason for fans its a sign of victory and hope. It will however be an uphill battle to keep Knight Rider on the air and the only way this is going to work is if they learn from their mistakes with the first season and write a stronger and more cohesive story arc. They need to focus on what works, not what is "cool" or "trendy" - what makes the episode work and what keeps people watching them.

Drop the reliance on modern trends, drop the reliance on CG, and make a show that is created in a more cost efficient manner that makes the story stronger, then worry about the effects. This is what made Knight Rider work...stories with HEART as well as action. It's not just about the gimmicks, it's about using KITT's technology to progress the story, not just to show off a new feature or to flash some product placement moment.

Mroe driving, more car action, more visually kinetic moments. I swear you look at this last episode with the "claw" crusher right? Notice how KITT doesn't even move and it's the slowest "claw" in the history of on screen car crushing moments...now you compare that to Not a Drop to Drink when KITT and Michael are facing the backhoe.

Of course the backhoe doesn't touch KITT just like the claw but you know what the difference is? MOVEMENT. KITT races around avoiding the backhoe as it slams down back and forth --- this worked wonderful for the KITT vs KARRE fight when KITT was avoiding KARR's powerful arms --- but in this episode it was so slow and anti-climatic that you just lose interest. A laser and some sparks its going to cut it when it's the climax of the episode and therefore should be the most exciting. At the end of the day Knight Rider is a show about a CAR and what the CAR CAN DO, how the CAR MOVES, how the CAR LOOKS IN MOTION. KITT isn't supposed to just sit there like a stone and helplessly face danger, he's supposed to take on all on challenges head on providing it doesn't jeapordize Michael's life.

Look back at the climatic moments of Knight Rider like Buy Out or even Hills of Fire and Out of the Woods. Even Circus Knights which was not the best episode (pretty much a rehash of Slamming Sammy's Stunt Show Spectacular) had some of the best stunt work in the season. KITT jumped through fire, he used Ski Mode, he took on a clown car with a friggin flamethrower and all in ONE EPISODE. These are the intense moments you want to see again and again and these are what is missing from this series now.

Whoever happens to make Season 2 of 08 needs to go back to the basics and watch Season Two of the original series because it is the one season of Knight Rider's entire four season run that has the most episodes that are for the most part not only watchable in a single season but also rewatchable...the rewatch value is key.

By Season Two, Knight Rider found its footing to warrent an oustanding Third Season and if the new Knight Rider can just understand what works and ditch what doesn't work, it has a shot of sticking around for awhile.

You're free to disagree with me but as far as I'm concerned this die has been cast, we'll see what the outcome is.

=VK=
:dash:


Victor, normally I'm put off by your at times negative attitude (I'm not intenting this as an insult, just how I view you sometimes), but there were times I thought you had very good points.

But I completely agree with this. I'm very hopeful, even though I have a sinking feeling it's a slim one, that NBC will get their act together and do what you're saying.

I was thinking along these exact same lines. Right now, to be honest, I'm very angry at NBC for doing what I consider ruining Knight Rider. Why they took something that was long awaited by so many people and totally turning it into something that it wasn't is beyond me. And now that they seem to finally have it getting back on track they may very well not give it a second season to get it's groove.

Some things I just don't understand in my old age....meh.

This show needs a chance. It needs to be given to someone who has the passion to produce a good show and take it farther, give it the proper developement and attention.

I'm very sorry for my excessive ranting. My family just held a memorial for my dead baby brother and I'm just letting words fly.

User avatar
Super Flash
Rookie
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:38 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: West Chester, Pennsylvania

Re: Knight Rider might have been cancelled: two sources

Post by Super Flash » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:17 pm

Hello There Everyone,

I am new here but, one that is tired of all of this nonsense about the show being cancelled this and that. Where is the proof? Huh? Two sources? Until I hear other wise then, to me the show is not CANCELLED. I am a fan of both shows and watched and enjoyed of the attempts to bring the show back. I guess you people forgot about the show Jericho. I never watched but, that show was cancelled after the first season, then a massaive ad campain, letters, e-mails, regular letters, and a few boat loads of peanuts brought that show back for about 08-10 episode run before its final cancellation. While I am convinced that the New Version of Knight Rider is not gone nor cancelled at this point in time I did do my part to make my voice heard. I did sign two petitions to save the show, sent and e-mail to the head of NBC Programming, and will next send in a letter to the head of NBC Programming to continue my efforts to let my voice be heard. I am not giving up here do believe that of this does work. In fact back in the late 1960's The Original Star Trek was cancelled just after two years. Contacting NBC at the time was limited to letter writing, phone calls, and protesting outside their head quarters and yet that work and show was saved for another year. I should being a huge fan of the franchise. If it was not for that Star Trek would not have become what it is today. So if the Original Star Trek was saved by fan support and the same with Jericho then what can't this version being saved as well. While it does come down to ratings you have to remember that the Rating System is flawed and dated. A rough guess has the rating about what 30 to 35 million people while the rest like me do not get counted. That is why I support this campion to save the show if NBC is considering axing the show. It will show them that there are more people that watched the series then what was counted by those boxes and dairies. I just wish Nielson Ratings sent me those dairies now instead of the 90's and they would know how I love Knight Rider and think of their rating system.

As for this series I am fine with it and I am not going to nit pick what is good about the show and not so good. It was fine from the start and the season finish. I just wish that they kept Sara's father. I liked him. In way, he reminded me of Deven Miles played by the late Edward Mulhare. A cameo of David H. would have been nice as well. Other then that this series has been enjoyable and on the edge of my seat. Also the Original Knight Rider may have started out as one man and his car that can make a difference but, by the fourth season Peter Parros joined the show as R.C. 3 and quickly became his partner and Semi-Driver. Basically in the end the was more then "One Man Alone Can Make A Difference, Michael." and I don't see why this new version has to be any different. Billy and Zeoy are fine characters and Sara in the role of Devon works for me. I am not concerned that the show was cut from 24 or 22 episodes down to 17. That means nothing to me. As far as I am concerned it was finances and not low ratings that dictated that. No, NBC did not cancell the show and burned the remaining epsides to get the off the air. I refuse to believe that. I don't want the show gone nor will I believe the conjecture that it has. When I see next months release of the Fall 2009 and :kitt: is not there then I will believe it. Until then I am believing that the show is still on. I am not out to ruffle any feathers here in my first post here but, I am just tired reading that the show is cancelled when no one really knows that. Here is hope and keeping the faith that this Knight Rider will be back and better then ever. Thanks and take care,
Michael P. Nepa
Knight Rider Lives!!!

User avatar
knightprobe89
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:14 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: tucson, az

Re: Knight Rider might have been cancelled: two sources

Post by knightprobe89 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:37 am

it would have been able to compete much better in the nielsen ratings if the storylines were done better from the beginning of the show, also it would have been better if they would have done something cool with the dash and steering wheel, and if they would have done stunts that were really cool like they did in the original series. it was basically a stock mustang with a voice modulator, and an hour long ford commercial with unrealistic transformations into other ford vehicles, nbc tried to appeal to the transformers crowd and the fast and furious crowd and that was thier downfall. if it gets brought back for a second season they need to change a lot of things to make the show more exciting, we need more eye candy!!!!
in glen larson we trust.

User avatar
PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops
Posts: 2363
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:20 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: MI

Re: Knight Rider might have been cancelled: two sources

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:31 am

I can agree with that, many times it seems like the writers were trying to be anything and taking from anything but Knight Rider.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 659
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:52 pm

Re: Knight Rider might have been cancelled: two sources

Post by PunkMaister » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:08 am

Unless NBC finally comes out and says we canceled K.R I'm not going to listen to rumors. Is bad enough as it is...

User avatar
Rainack
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 284
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:43 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Squaw Valley, CA
Contact:

Re: Knight Rider might have been cancelled: two sources

Post by Rainack » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:57 am

PunkMaister wrote:Unless NBC finally comes out and says we canceled K.R I'm not going to listen to rumors. Is bad enough as it is...


I completely agree with you there. I'm not going to believe anything anybody but NBC, or a major news paper says about KR being canceled or not. The sites that are saying these things are doing because they know they'll get a reaction out of us.
To read my fanfictions, go to fanfiction.net and search for my screen name, Rainack.

User avatar
WIBoomer1
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 296
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:00 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: WI

Re: Knight Rider might have been cancelled: two sources

Post by WIBoomer1 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:56 pm

Super Flash wrote:Hello There Everyone,

I am new here but, one that is tired of all of this nonsense about the show being cancelled this and that. Where is the proof? Huh? Two sources? Until I hear other wise then, to me the show is not CANCELLED. I am a fan of both shows and watched and enjoyed of the attempts to bring the show back. I guess you people forgot about the show Jericho. I never watched but, that show was cancelled after the first season, then a massaive ad campain, letters, e-mails, regular letters, and a few boat loads of peanuts brought that show back for about 08-10 episode run before its final cancellation.


No offense, but this isn't Jericho. KR 08 needed to be what the last 5 eps were from the beginning. There was no retooling of Jericho. Jericho's plot was very LOST-like, and you needed to think to enjoy it. Jericho failed a second time because nobody showed up to watch the show the 2nd time, matter of fact, there was a decrease in ratings.

While there was the mass mailing of 6000 names on a petition to keep KR alive, as I type this there were over 132,000 names on a Jericho petition. Our 6000 signatures are 4% of that 132,000. http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/ ... i?09272006

I think that since there are no more eps to be shown, there is nothing more that can really be done to keep KR 08 on the air, since there's no way to show increased ratings. All we can hope for is that somehow, KR will be on the fall schedule.

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 659
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:52 pm

Re: Knight Rider might have been cancelled: two sources

Post by PunkMaister » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:04 pm

WIBoomer1 wrote:
Super Flash wrote:Hello There Everyone,

I am new here but, one that is tired of all of this nonsense about the show being cancelled this and that. Where is the proof? Huh? Two sources? Until I hear other wise then, to me the show is not CANCELLED. I am a fan of both shows and watched and enjoyed of the attempts to bring the show back. I guess you people forgot about the show Jericho. I never watched but, that show was cancelled after the first season, then a massaive ad campain, letters, e-mails, regular letters, and a few boat loads of peanuts brought that show back for about 08-10 episode run before its final cancellation.


No offense, but this isn't Jericho. KR 08 needed to be what the last 5 eps were from the beginning. There was no retooling of Jericho. Jericho's plot was very LOST-like, and you needed to think to enjoy it. Jericho failed a second time because nobody showed up to watch the show the 2nd time, matter of fact, there was a decrease in ratings.

While there was the mass mailing of 6000 names on a petition to keep KR alive, as I type this there were over 132,000 names on a Jericho petition. Our 6000 signatures are 4% of that 132,000. http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/ ... i?09272006

I think that since there are no more eps to be shown, there is nothing more that can really be done to keep KR 08 on the air, since there's no way to show increased ratings. All we can hope for is that somehow, KR will be on the fall schedule.


Only 6000? That's over 10,000 or more less than what Stargate Atlantis itself got for all the good it did.


Still until NBC goes and says it is CANCELED fact is I will not listen to rumors. It is safe to say that if it is canned NBC will lose a viewer and the K.R franchise will be forever relegated to basement collections, Fan reunions and TOS DVDs 'till the end of time and beyond.

User avatar
Super Flash
Rookie
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:38 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: West Chester, Pennsylvania

Re: Knight Rider might have been cancelled: two sources

Post by Super Flash » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:33 am

Hello There Everyone,

I am sure that there is more then 6000 signatures to save the show and I am sure that there is more going on to save and keep the show on the air. I just used Jericho as an example on how a show was cancelled then borught back. CBS really did not want the show back for a second season and did very little to support and keep the show on the air. It is hard to watch a show when you do not when it is on and that is what Jericho's fate was in the second season that was shorter then Knight Rider's first season.

Now what is wrong with positive thinking here? What is with this gloom and doom nonsense? Shows like Family Guy and Cheers struuggled in their first season and Cheers lasted 11 years on NBC and has a spin off in Fraiser that also lasted about 11 years. In the case of Family Guy that show was cancelled and then reruns shown on The Cartoon Network and what do you know Family Guy is back better then ever. Why can't we have the same hope for Knight Rider? Why this cancelled talk?

If Knight Rider is cancelled and that is a big if then, is it the end for the franchise? I am not convinced that we have seen the last of the show renewed or cancelled. This show and franchise has survived over the years to live again and I am sure that we have not seen the end of Knight Rider. It will live on and be back better then ever. You see.

I am not giving up here reguardless of whether or not there are episodes to air. I will only throw in the towel next month when the fall line ups are announced and Knight Rider is not there...

For now the show is still alive.

Lastly, if the show is cancelled it will be back in some form or another in the future. Star Trek was supposed to be done after the tenth movie and yet we have a new one comming out in May. The A-Team is coming back in a Movie form soon. Same with The Three Stooges. Heck, I even read that in some form The Greatest American Hero will be back. It just goes to show you that tv shows just done die. They come back in some form or another...Heck the Odd Couple was brought back some time ago in couple of different verisons on tv and had two movies based on the original tv series. So anything is possible. So, if Knight Rider is cancelled it is not the end but, a break until the next time in the future with a formula that will work. I liked this formula but, maybe something better will happen.

Something to think about.

Take care,
Michael P. Nepa.
Knight Rider Lives!!!

User avatar
WIBoomer1
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 296
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:00 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: WI

Re: Knight Rider might have been cancelled: two sources

Post by WIBoomer1 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:38 am

Super Flash wrote:Hello There Everyone,

I am sure that there is more then 6000 signatures to save the show and I am sure that there is more going on to save and keep the show on the air. I just used Jericho as an example on how a show was cancelled then borught back. CBS really did not want the show back for a second season and did very little to support and keep the show on the air. It is hard to watch a show when you do not when it is on and that is what Jericho's fate was in the second season that was shorter then Knight Rider's first season.


The only reason it was brought back was to conclude it. To give those fans who wanted to see an ending an end.

Super Flash wrote:Now what is wrong with positive thinking here? What is with this gloom and doom nonsense? Shows like Family Guy and Cheers struuggled in their first season and Cheers lasted 11 years on NBC and has a spin off in Fraiser that also lasted about 11 years. In the case of Family Guy that show was cancelled and then reruns shown on The Cartoon Network and what do you know Family Guy is back better then ever. Why can't we have the same hope for Knight Rider? Why this cancelled talk?


Why this cancelled talk? The ratings didn't meet NBC's projections. Our fan base, even though we may think it is so high, isn't or hasn't been the 7 or 8 million strong needed on a consistant basis to merit a renewal. Have you seen any KR 08 promotional material released? Any Michael Knight action figures? nope, neither have i. Family Guy has struggled year after year to get renewed...matter of fact wasn't there a 2 year period without it? Not saying that we'll be that lucky...

Super Flash wrote:If Knight Rider is cancelled and that is a big if then,


the bigger "if" is "if we get a 2nd season".

Super Flash wrote:is it the end for the franchise? I am not convinced that we have seen the last of the show renewed or cancelled. This show and franchise has survived over the years to live again and I am sure that we have not seen the end of Knight Rider. It will live on and be back better then ever. You see.


yeah, like team knight rider... :shock:

Super Flash wrote:I am not giving up here reguardless of whether or not there are episodes to air. I will only throw in the towel next month when the fall line ups are announced and Knight Rider is not there...

For now the show is still alive.


The show is in hiatus. There is no current production on the show, and no future episodes scheduled. Only if NBC gives the go ahead, then production would start up again.

Super Flash wrote:Lastly, if the show is cancelled it will be back in some form or another in the future. Star Trek was supposed to be done after the tenth movie and yet we have a new one comming out in May.


Thank heavens for JJ Abrams for taking it over. It took many years to get ST XI greenlit, and without Berman's involvement, after he ran ST into the ground, killing the cash cow.

Super Flash wrote:The A-Team is coming back in a Movie form soon. Same with The Three Stooges. Heck, I even read that in some form The Greatest American Hero will be back.


The John Singleton A-team thing will probally suck. People will want Mr. T, and it just won't be good. Didn't hear about the 3 Stooges thing, but did see the new comic book version of TGAH. It's supported by William Katt, and seems to be written pretty well. But I don't see it coming back as a movie. Why don't we then get a Hardcastle and McCormick remake too???

Super Flash wrote: It just goes to show you that tv shows just done die. They come back in some form or another...Heck the Odd Couple was brought back some time ago in couple of different verisons on tv and had two movies based on the original tv series.


Yes, they had the African - American version, then the Women version of it. What was next?... The Latino version, followed by the gay and lesbian version??? Let's not beat a dead horse. It was great the first time around (which one did you like better, the Lemmon/Matthau movie version, or the Randall/Klugman version?) but we need new adventures, new stories. Hollywood seems to be creativity bankrupt lately. Heroes worked, because it was something not seen before. Same with LOST. I think one of the reasons why ST works as different series is that is isn't the re-hashing of old stories and situations. Gene Roddenberry put it best when he said that there are millions of stories to be told the same universe. I think the same can be said of KR. It's just that KR 08 got it right too late...

Super Flash wrote: So anything is possible. So, if Knight Rider is cancelled it is not the end but, a break until the next time in the future with a formula that will work. I liked this formula but, maybe something better will happen.

Something to think about.

Take care,
Michael P. Nepa.


Michael, welcome to the boards. KR 08 was good and bad. I think that the future of this show has already been decided, and we the fans are just going to be the last to know. Reality is that numbers sell products. There is no large fan base for this version of KR, or at the least, not as large as the original KR we grew up with. 26 years makes a big difference in perception of technology. Back then it was a kind of magic. Now, it's commonplace. And this show wasn't as family friendly as it could have been, for a 7 PM CST show. Mix the reboot into it, and it's one more mess that will be (in my opinion) swept to the side.

User avatar
PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops
Posts: 2363
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:20 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: MI

Re: Knight Rider might have been cancelled: two sources

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:28 pm

Super Flash wrote:Hello There Everyone,

Heck the Odd Couple was brought back some time ago in couple of different verisons on tv and had two movies based on the original tv series. So anything is possible. .


Just gotta say, the Odd Couple movie with Lemon and Matthau came out before the TV series.... Though yeah after the TV series then there was a animated show apparently as well as the "New Odd Couple" and a TV movie for the first TV version. Plus a some of other attempted revivals though there's been a lot of shows and movies since then that have taken and used the concept or something similar.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

User avatar
Super Flash
Rookie
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:38 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: West Chester, Pennsylvania

Re: Knight Rider might have been cancelled: two sources

Post by Super Flash » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:44 pm

Hello There Everyone,

For fans of the show you are show quick to want it cancelled. I don't and I refuse to beleive that it has. As for the toys and so forth based on the show I can not say. What you people forget that this is time for actors, producers, and so forth to relax and recharge the old batteries. I have not heard anything about it being in Hiatus. Shows like Scrubs, American Idol, Friends when it was on the air all had their down time this time of the year before they start a new for the next season. The start work either June or July and work to February or March. You can convince yourselves that the show is done and gone and I will not hear of it. I am trying to be an optimist here and yet you people leave me sctraching my head that you have given up. No anouncement has been made and yet all I hear is this conject that the show is gone. I was in the chat room last nignt-this morning and they talked about different things one being that NBC will have representitives at this Knight Rider convention coming up and nothing has been decided about the shows fate. Now, why would NBC be there if the show is done? Also, there are other shows like Knight Rider on the bubble and how come no one is speculating on their fate?

As for the Odd couple it was movie yes that led to the 70's tv with Jack Klugman and Tony Randall which led to severial revivials of the series in 1980's and again in 1990's any my point is reguardless of the time lenght four years from the original Knight Rider in 1986 to 1990 Reunion movie to Team Knight Rider in 1996-1997 and this version this has survived here. I believe that this show was brought back for more then just a one and done season and closure.

As for The Greatest America Hero I can not remember what web site that I saw it but, when I remember I will post it but, anyway I did the comic book part with William Katt and in addition the show being brought back some how.

Now, let us keep the faith here and root for another season. Last check, the petition was well over 8000 signatures and I know that is a far cry from the 132,000 plus that Jericho got but, it is a start. Also, there are alot more viewers out there that watch the show that is counted...

Lastly, I know that Knight Rider's numbers were low but, I have seen shows with the same or worse numbers survive so, why the sudden rush to bury the show? I am not...

Take care you all... :kittconv:
Knight Rider Lives!!!

User avatar
Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative
Posts: 1214
Joined: Sat May 31, 2008 8:17 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Hanging out with KITT in SPARTA!

Re: Knight Rider might have been cancelled: two sources

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:12 pm

The sudden rush is because TV is now more of a competition between networks to get more viewers, sadly. :(

IMO, the whole "KR08 is canned" speculation is because of the fact it's a remake and a lot of people happen to like to target this show.
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

User avatar
Ontario Knight
Operative
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:10 pm

Re: Knight Rider might have been cancelled: two sources

Post by Ontario Knight » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:39 pm

Well I would have guessed that all of us would be "tired out" of talking about KR08 being cancelled. However we now know that KR is being promoted in Spain and Europe right now, then the question has to be asked.

Why would NBC and affiliate stations whomever that may be, spend the time and money to promote something that is cancelled or is to be cancelled?

I figure that this is a positive sign that KR08 will continue, the rating didn't fall off the board like most shows on NBC lately, however NBC hasn't had great ratings anyways as a whole.

So having KR08 not being saved on 5-6 million viewers is not bu^^$*&t but if that was the analogy then most if not all shows on NBC list in 2008-2009 would be cancelled as most of the show excluding a few (L&O, Heroes and Medium) there would be all new shows for the upcoming season which for a major network isn't probably a smart move, as most shows need to have a fan base to build viewership like the ones I just mentioned, so having an entire new lineup would contradict that theroy. I guess I am looking at this as a optimisic point of view however you can't argue that my view is somewhat practical.

Finally we assume that the fall line up comes out in April-May I figure that KR08 with this ongoing promotion in Europe and we heard in the Far East as well, that money spent wherever that is is being spent on a show that IS CONTINUING not being cancelled....

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 659
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:52 pm

Re: Knight Rider might have been cancelled: two sources

Post by PunkMaister » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:36 pm

Sky_Blue_Civic wrote:IMO, the whole "KR08 is canned" speculation is because of the fact it's a remake and a lot of people happen to like to target this show.

True and sadder still a lot of those haters join this boards just to post that kind of crap never to be seen again afterward. A lot of the latest so called "Official cancellation" threads have been posted by such individuals, just look at the post count and what they have posted. :x

User avatar
PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops
Posts: 2363
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:20 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: MI

Re: Knight Rider might have been cancelled: two sources

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:11 pm

Those other shows, while not doing great or even all that good, still have stronger ratings, especially in the coveted 18-49 range. Even Univision has beaten out KR in that demo...
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

User avatar
Ontario Knight
Operative
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:10 pm

Re: Knight Rider might have been cancelled: two sources

Post by Ontario Knight » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:48 am

PHOENIXZERO wrote:Those other shows, while not doing great or even all that good, still have stronger ratings, especially in the coveted 18-49 range. Even Univision has beaten out KR in that demo...


As you say coveted 18-49 demographic, however isn't that Male and Female posted in the demo, its been stated before that the 18-34 Male demographic KR kills that, and if NBC and Ford has planned on that demo and attained there goals to be tops for that 18-34 male demo then they achieved it, as posted before on KRO web...

User avatar
PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops
Posts: 2363
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:20 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: MI

Re: Knight Rider might have been cancelled: two sources

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:01 am

It doesn't matter how great the male demos might be, networks only care about the 18-34 and 18-49 demos. If they really wanted to make a male show, we wouldn't have the bad drama.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

User avatar
KITT
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: SLC
Contact:

Re: Knight Rider might have been cancelled: two sources

Post by KITT » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:08 pm

their demo for knight rider *is* predominantly male, though.
Lady: "I bet you're tall, dark, and handsome."
KITT: "I'm definitely dark and handsome, I'm only tall when I'm climbing a steep incline."
http://www.dhasselhoff.net

User avatar
Ontario Knight
Operative
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:10 pm

Re: Knight Rider might have been cancelled: two sources

Post by Ontario Knight » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:46 pm

My point is that if NBC and Ford when the show was in its creation said, we know that KR doesn't hit the female demographic, however if we hit certain goals in the male target demographic we will continue the series into a second season. However you look at it, males are the predominate viewers of KR. I know females watch the show, my girlfriend is one of them, however its not the focus of the demo, that is why KR kills the male demo week after week as we discussed in the past.. And probably why KR gets alot of DVR viewership, because the Neilsens could be controlled by a higher female audience, and when the men want to watch KR they have to di this thru DVR, just throwing that out there..American Idol, New Adventures of Old Christine, and so on in the 8pm Wednesday lineup are I assume female orientated shows, not male, KR is the only one in that slot male targeted....

rucode4
Volunteer
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:49 am

Re: Knight Rider might have been cancelled: two sources

Post by rucode4 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:24 pm

Those sources are no good.. now if Howard Stern Mentions it ... then we are in trouble. :vamp: :vamp:

Locked