MBS

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

cajunknight0153
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

MBS

Post by cajunknight0153 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:00 pm

is it just me or did it look like KITT had MBS (Molecular Bonded Shell) in this last episode? when the car jackers were tryin to steal him, there was no blue ripple things or no nano rebuilding things, it looked just like TOS when someone would try to break into KITT

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Re: MBS

Post by Kram061-1 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:44 pm

I've been thinking so since the battle against KARR where KITT never really sustained any damage until the Turbo Boost through KARR, but before that explosion not really any damage

Lynda414
FLAG Assistant

Post by Lynda414 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:06 pm

it's a good thing. I thought the whol repair thing had a few flaws. Sure, KITT can repair after he is damaged, but Mike can't. If you had a strong enough gun, a bullet might get through to Mike. I like seeing KITT more sturdy.

lunchmeat
FLAG Recruit

Post by lunchmeat » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:34 pm

I always figured that the nanotech only took over in cases of extreme duress - say, being hit by really fast moving objects like bullets or taking a large impact like a car crash. KI3T, even without the nanorepair, is a pretty tough beast on his own. This is why KI3T could turbo boost though KARR successfully.

I don't think we'll see the nanoskin entirely disappear, although KI3T might become bulletproof by default (and have nanorepair for larger disasters).
If I am destroyed... ...so shall you be. -KARR

KITTKARR85
Recruit

Post by KITTKARR85 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:52 pm

If KI3T had MBS, they would have to do some serious explanation because as we know in TOS, the formula was split between 3 people and one was Devon. This being 25 yrs later, I can assume that one or more of the people with the formula has passed, especially Devon.

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:52 am

Doesn't make much sense to me, in the Karr fight without Kitts nanotech functional, how come he didn't sustain more damage?

Surely its just a regular car without the nanoskin? unless its some kind of stronger shell he's made of that hasn't been explained.

HanzenRider
Volunteer

Post by HanzenRider » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:50 pm

well remember from the backdoor pilot movie, a big SUV crashed right into KITT on his drivers side and the SUV ended up getting all smashed up. When Mike Traceur opened the driver door, i noticed the nanotech taking place reshaping it back to normal form.

In many ways I wish SCC was never created and they kept a very very low profile for a while trying to rebuild the foundation for law and governmentd but oh well, what is done is done.
:kitt2:
HanzenRider

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:12 pm

Didn't Sarah activate it just before the crash though? in King's Pawn it wasn't activated.

If its just a regular shell when the nano's de-activated how come Kitt didn't get battered from all the flipping over? just curious cause I rolled a car at 30mph once and it completely crumpled the roof, hehe I know, TV magic :)

Harry Singh Jr.
Operative

Post by Harry Singh Jr. » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:34 pm

TV magic foreal. :) So many Trans Ams got destroyed in the turbo boost scenes of the original show it wasn't funny. Hoff actually did one himself and said never again. Infact a couple other stunt guys said the same thing.

captainz57
Stranger

Post by captainz57 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:42 am

I actually don't see MBS and the nanotech being mutually exclusive necessarily. It would explain things in the original series, like the T-Tops being retractable, not being able to see any evidence of Super Pursuit Mode when KITT is in normal cruise, the convertible tonneau cover that comes seemingly from nowhere. While we never saw the Knight 2000 do anything as drastic as transforming into another vehicle, we do see those things. Molecular bonded shell is a pretty vague terminology anyway. What does that even mean? lol
In KOTP, Devon describes KITT's color as "a finish bonded into the molecular structure of a new substance" that's "not metal, and it's not fibreglass." Later on the concept gets bastardized, such as in Trust Doesn't Rust, where Bonnie describes KITT's shell as a "nearly indestructible alloy" which directly contradicts Devon's earlier statement. Goliath seems to describe the shell as a chemical spray, but we don't know that it's not a nanotech coating over the steel truck. Sarah actually orders the Knight 3000 to be sprayed with "nanoskin paint" or somesuch in Journey to the End of the Knight after it's damaged in the race, so even that doesn't contradict the TOS episode.
In the original series, KITT's shell had limits. KITT had to avoid being hit by rockets for instance. In TOS, KITT's shell seemed to deflect projectiles. In the new series, KITT seems to absorb some of the impact, allowing the projectile to fall away rather than bounce off in some unintended direction, as we saw when Tanya tried to shoot Michael through the window at the end of KOTP. This also allows KITT to devote more of his protection to an impact site, as we see in Knight in Shining Armor when KITT concentrates the protection of the nanoskin in the appropriate spot and absorbs the impact of a missile that would in all reality probably splatter the Knight 2000 all over the pavement. I think what we're seeing in the new show is a more advanced form of something the original KITT already had.

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:28 am

KITTKARR85 wrote:If KI3T had MBS, they would have to do some serious explanation because as we know in TOS, the formula was split between 3 people and one was Devon. This being 25 yrs later, I can assume that one or more of the people with the formula has passed, especially Devon.
ya, but KR08 doesnt really explain too many things that happened in the past 25 years, does it? It doesnt even explain some differences between the Pilot and the series!!!
I think KITT can chose to have the MBS effect and the nano effect as he see fit. Image :kitt:

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:52 am

Knight007 wrote: I think KITT can chose to have the MBS effect and the nano effect as he see fit. Image :kitt:
Ki3t is only virtually indestructible when the nanotech's switched on, there's been no mention of MBS which I'm sure is exclusive to his older brother.

lunchmeat
FLAG Recruit

Post by lunchmeat » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:54 pm

weeezl wrote:Doesn't make much sense to me, in the Karr fight without Kitts nanotech functional, how come he didn't sustain more damage?

Surely its just a regular car without the nanoskin? unless its some kind of stronger shell he's made of that hasn't been explained.
weeezl wrote:Didn't Sarah activate it just before the crash though? in King's Pawn it wasn't activated.

If its just a regular shell when the nano's de-activated how come Kitt didn't get battered from all the flipping over? just curious cause I rolled a car at 30mph once and it completely crumpled the roof, hehe I know, TV magic :)
Hey, man, be careful with those turbo boosts... :P

I'm pretty sure that KI3T is just tough by default. I don't think he has MBS - but I figure it's kind of like the whole James Bond Aston Martin thing - we don't really know what it's made of, but it can take quite a few hits.
If I am destroyed... ...so shall you be. -KARR

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:29 am

Did KITT say his nanoskin was nonfunctional in the KARR fight? I thought it was working UNTIL he crashed through KARR.

Anyway, I thought about the thieves thing too as I expected the window to crack and repair when the crowbar hit it. But, I don't think it would, and I don't think KI3T has an MBS.

Think, we see the windows crack and repair when they're hit by a bullet, which has a LOT more force than a man swinging a crowbar, the repair probably happens so fast that you can't see with something as weak a crowbar swing. The only reason we see repairs with bullets as they hit with force enough to prove difficult for the nanomachines to fix.

But if he had an MBS, the window wouldn't have shattered in the pilot, though yeah, I know, the continuity there is a bit foggy. The only thing I wish they'd stop doing is showing those blue flashes like a Star Trek shield when KITT is shot somewhere other than a window. Just show the bullets plinking off harmlessly. If you're really feeling fancy, show a repairing-crack in the paint like in the pilot.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:08 pm

well remember from the backdoor pilot movie, a big SUV crashed right into KITT on his drivers side and the SUV ended up getting all smashed up. When Mike Traceur opened the driver door, i noticed the nanotech taking place reshaping it back to normal form.
Yes, it did repair itself, however, if you recall, considering the hit KITT took, the SUV didn't do all that much damage to it to begin with........
Did KITT say his nanoskin was nonfunctional in the KARR fight? I thought it was working UNTIL he crashed through KARR.
The Nano wasn't functioning, only physical capabilities, such as Ski Mode and Turbo Boost. That's why KITT was pretty smashed up after they Turbo Boosted through KARR; after they got back to SCC, Sarah reactivated the Nano and KITT self repaired.

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:40 am

I always thought the nanofix was supposed to be considerably faster than the human eye can catch (yes, even if we actually get to see the effect, when bullets hit). Otherwise, it's kind of a moot point. If KITT goes through multiple hits (say explosions) and the nanoskin doesn't repair itself fast enough (like, in the fraction of a second), he'll end up pretty screwed up.

Bes-case-scenario.

Samborghini
Rookie

Post by Samborghini » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:06 am

I perosnally don't think that KI3T has MBS as before Wilton Knight died he gave the 3 chemicals names to 3 different people (1 chemical each) so that only they could re-create the MBS but with Devon Miles killed in Knight Rider 2000 (if it existed in KR) then there is no way to re-create MBS that is why I think Dr. Graiman chose to build the new KI3T with the Nano-tech and not MBS. It is also worth noting that MBS is not as strong as the Nano-tech as we know form the original episode 'KITT vs KARR' KARR's MBS had been exposed to sea water and was considerably weaker than KITT's. However in the new Knight Rider episode 'Knight of the Iguana' we saw KITT transform into 'Submarine Mode' or something and his Nano-tech nor his outer shell was damaged. Therefore it is said that KI3T does NOT have the Molecular Bonded Shell like the original KITT or KARR.
Protecting the innocent, the helpless, the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law.