Does KI3T still need.....gas?!?

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

KITTKARR85
Recruit

Does KI3T still need.....gas?!?

Post by KITTKARR85 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:56 pm

I'm not sure if anyone cares at this point but does KI3T still need to get gas from time to time? In the Pilot, he had to and yes, I know, the Pilot doesn't really coincide with the show so please save the argument.....I just wonder what his propulsion is run off of now. Is it more like TOS where he doesn't use regular gasoline or ?

Gotta admit this question is original and a good debate. :mrgreen: If anyone already hasn't brought it up yet.....lol

:skar:

R.I.T.T.
Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Does KI3T still need.....gas?!?

Post by R.I.T.T. » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:23 pm

I assume that he still needs gas. But it falls a bit in the category of questions like why Mike is never seen using the toilet or shower really :P
Hello, I am Rush Industries Three Thousand, R.I.T.T. for easy reference, or Ritt if you prefer.

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:41 pm

R.I.T.T. wrote:I assume that he still needs gas. But it falls a bit in the category of questions like why Mike is never seen using the toilet or shower really :P
LMAO True!

I think he runs on Gas but has the option of running on alternate fuels if so chosen frankly I never understood Grayman's reluctance of making KITT just a bit more Eco-friendly if possible as seen in one of the Earlier episodes...

lunchmeat
FLAG Recruit

Post by lunchmeat » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:14 pm

KI3T is probably still fueled mainly by solar power, as seen in the pilot episode. From what I understand, KI3T only stopped for gas because he'd been driving at a very high speed for a pretty long time, meaning that he was expending more energy than he was storing.

Could be wrong, though.
If I am destroyed... ...so shall you be. -KARR

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:19 pm

Don't we see KITT getting gas when he does his ignition count down in the KITT cave? I know he has some sort of hoses running out of him, I don't have time to scroll back and check it out right now though.
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:54 pm

Yeah that's what I thought too.

There's been a couple of shoots where we see hoses.. I'm pretty sure one was in his fuel cap.
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

captainz57
Stranger

Post by captainz57 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:16 am

In the absence of any evidence to the contrary, I would assume KITT still functions in much the same way as in the pilot, e.g. needing gas, though much less than the garden variety Mustang. Like Sarah said, suppose they were in the middle of Nebraska, you wouldn't want to exclusively rely on some exotic alternative fuels. KITT probably operates much like the original in that his engine can operate on any reasonably combustible fluids. Perhaps at the SSC, KITT is loaded with some optimum blend, but can fill up at a regular pump as well. As he states in the pilot, KITT also has other means of recovering energy, e.g. solar power, regenerative braking, et cetera, anything that will recover a little energy and push his fuel consumption above 100 MPG. Hybrids work the same way, just not in that sophisticated of a manner in real life lol.

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:39 am

captainz57 wrote:In the absence of any evidence to the contrary, I would assume KITT still functions in much the same way as in the pilot, e.g. needing gas, though much less than the garden variety Mustang. Like Sarah said, suppose they were in the middle of Nebraska, you wouldn't want to exclusively rely on some exotic alternative fuels. KITT probably operates much like the original in that his engine can operate on any reasonably combustible fluids. Perhaps at the SSC, KITT is loaded with some optimum blend, but can fill up at a regular pump as well. As he states in the pilot, KITT also has other means of recovering energy, e.g. solar power, regenerative braking, et cetera, anything that will recover a little energy and push his fuel consumption above 100 MPG. Hybrids work the same way, just not in that sophisticated of a manner in real life lol.
I like your analysis. this may be as true as possible. Image :kitt:

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:58 am

R.I.T.T. wrote:I assume that he still needs gas. But it falls a bit in the category of questions like why Mike is never seen using the toilet or shower really :P
Would you want to scenes of Mike using the toilet or shower? :D

Kitts supposed to be able to recycle his energy making him 90 some odd % fuel efficient. They probably just don't show it because he rarely has to get gas or its boring from a tv show perspective, who knows?

R.I.T.T.
Recruit

Post by R.I.T.T. » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:25 am

weeezl wrote:
Would you want to scenes of Mike using the toilet or shower? :D
No, although I wouldn't complain if it was a shower scene with Sarah.

But the point I was trying to make is that viewers assume that they go to the toilet or the shower without having to see it. And because the pilot says that Kitt uses guess we can assume that he still does but they don't need to take 20 seconds out to see Mike at the gas station(unless of course it's necessary for the plot)
Hello, I am Rush Industries Three Thousand, R.I.T.T. for easy reference, or Ritt if you prefer.

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:51 am

R.I.T.T. wrote: No, although I wouldn't complain if it was a shower scene with Sarah.
I dont think I would either! :D

Knytemare
Volunteer

Post by Knytemare » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:13 am

Speaking of fuel, I dont remember seeing KI2T ever fueling up. But in reference with KI3T being more "green" he is mostly solar powered. At least I'm sticking with what was stated in the pilot, and nothing in the current episodes states otherwise.
"I am the Knight Industries Roving Assistant, but you may call me KIRA for short."

ex812
Recruit

Post by ex812 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:48 am

KITT stopped to get gas in the episode No Big Thing.

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:13 am

Yeah, I remember the original KITT getting refueled a few times throughout the series, myself. Usually, the scene was accompanied by some smartass station owner trying to sabotage the car for extra fixups and failing miserably, for the laughs.

trissybabes
FLAG Recruit

Post by trissybabes » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:00 am

Umm, didn't we get a shower scene with Mike and Sara in "I Wanna Rock and Roll All Knight"? Or was I dreaming that and if so, who woke me up? :wink: :oops:

and if KI3T uses regular unleaded or super unleaded, what causes the blue flame of propulsion during turbo boosts?
Is that the same fuel or a higher grade, like avgas or kerosone?
If it's kerosene, does KI3T then house several fuel tanks?
If he does house several fuel tanks, where do they go when KI3T becomes TRUCKI3T?
and what about LPG?
Or Diesel?
Does he become diesel powered in TRUCKI3T mode?
If so, it then begs another fuel tank storage question?
If he carried so many different fuel types, being around things that are blowing up (KARR) wouldn't be too good for KI3T or Mike.

I could go on, but people would end up calling me a crazy fuel...

:)

WIBoomer1
FLAG Recruit

Post by WIBoomer1 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:50 am

This is where it gets tricky. Since there is physical manipulation of all of KI3T, ie. seats, steering wheel, you name it, then it becomes very improbable that KI3T runs on gas. This would also change KI3T's center of balence, thus becoming unstable until equalized. We've also seen guns pop out of KI3T's hood in 3 different locations, 2 side by side, and one in middle, as well as that Turbo-boost ramscoop, where it would seem that the main engine would/should be located. Because the engine must move inside the vehicle, you are talking about gaslines moving and changing shape, to accomodate the new form.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a 2nd season, someone figures out how to unlock KI3T's nano, and reducing him into a pile of raw mass nano...KI3T could in theory become anything...desk, fridge, bathtub, boat.

Slim_Knight
Operative

Post by Slim_Knight » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:36 pm

With regards to him transforming into the truck, if you pay attention it is a higher end F-150, so there is no way that it could be a diesel, since that is not an option for the F-150
KITT: Michael, your blood alcohol level is far too high to allow you to take the wheel.
MIKE: That’s fine. I don’t wanna drive anyway. I want a burger. Take me to a drive-thru.

trissybabes
FLAG Recruit

Post by trissybabes » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:46 am

Slim_Knight wrote:With regards to him transforming into the truck, if you pay attention it is a higher end F-150, so there is no way that it could be a diesel, since that is not an option for the F-150
I always pay attention dah-ling. I was playing devil's advocate.

He'd get much better mpg if he did trasnform into a vehicle with a diesel motor. The slightly unattractive guff of black smoke whenever he floored it wouldn't be quite so hot though.

"F-150". Sound slike an advanced jet fighter don't you think?

Rainack
FLAG Recruit

Post by Rainack » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:50 am

NeoRanger wrote:Yeah, I remember the original KITT getting refueled a few times throughout the series, myself. Usually, the scene was accompanied by some smartass station owner trying to sabotage the car for extra fixups and failing miserably, for the laughs.
In No Big Thing, when KI2T told Michael he needed fuel, he also told Michael he could run on anything combustable. Perhaps KI3T is the same way. If it can combust, his engine can use it. Maybe the nanotech changes the engine to suit the fuel he's currently using.
To read my fanfictions, go to fanfiction.net and search for my screen name, Rainack.

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:00 am

Ha! So KITT could run on Vodka? Awesome.

Slim_Knight
Operative

Post by Slim_Knight » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:03 am

At this point, I don't think that mpg is an issue for KITT. If only we could all own really powerful cars with epic mpg.
KITT: Michael, your blood alcohol level is far too high to allow you to take the wheel.
MIKE: That’s fine. I don’t wanna drive anyway. I want a burger. Take me to a drive-thru.

blazevski
Recruit

Post by blazevski » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:04 am

heh well... with the amount of mony FLAG has now KITT could also run on gold... Don't think its really essential to know what he runs on though...