Ratings for "Knight and the City"

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Re: Ratings for "Knight and the City"

Post by NeoRanger » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:36 pm

NBC hasn't been doing well for a while now. It's both the reason the show exists and the reason it's not canceled yet. They needed a ratings-winner, so they made Knight Rider. It didn't work out, but it didn't fail in comparison to their other shows either; let's just say it massively underperformed. If their other shows were doing better, there's a good chance we'd been off the air as early as the original 9-episode batch.

The ratings are looking fairly good to me, but like I said last time, they're of little importance at this point. All we can hope for is that they don't have anything better to replace Knight Rider with next year.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:46 pm

Well, at least it held steady, though I'm not sure how much of an impact advertising would have, it certainly wouldn't hurt. The show IMO still would need at least the two million viewers that disappeared to really make it remotely safe. A .09 increase is pretty insignificant, but it'll be interesting to see what the final number is, also there was at least one preemption somewhere, from a post I saw in my topic on another board, though I'm not sure exactly what area it was for at this time. While the ratings are lower than what Bionic Woman got, at least there hasn't been a big drop pretty much week from week.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by KITT » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:06 pm

tvbythenumbers also has a list of top NBC shows. here's the list from last week:
1 DATELINE NBC 2/10(S) S NBC 11,259 7.5 13
2 BIGGEST LOSER 7 NBC 9,252 5.8 9
3 OFFICE NBC 9,000 5.3 8
4 HEROES NBC 7,898 4.9 7
5 MEDIUM NBC 7,889 5.1 8
6 30 ROCK NBC 7,675 4.7 7
7 LAW AND ORDER NBC 7,436 5.0 8
8 E.R. NBC 7,241 4.7 8
9 DATELINE SUN-7PM NBC 6,945 4.3 7
10 MY NAME IS EARL NBC 6,399 4.0 7
11 LAW AND ORDER-SAT R NBC 5,606 3.8 7
12 KATH & KIM NBC 5,513 3.3 5
13 KNIGHT RIDER NBC 5,482 3.5 5
14 LAW & ORDER:SVU-SAT R NBC 5,004 3.2 6
15 LIFE NBC 4,591 3.2 5
16 DATELINE FRI NBC 4,585 3.2 6
17 NBC MOVIE OF WEEK-SUN2/15(S) S NBC 4,261 2.6 4
18 HOWIE DO IT 8P NBC 4,095 2.5 5
19 LAW & ORDER:CI-SAT RP NBC 3,950 2.6 5
20 HOWIE DO IT 8:30 R NBC 3,890 2.2 4
at least it's doing better then that howie show :P
Lady: "I bet you're tall, dark, and handsome."
KITT: "I'm definitely dark and handsome, I'm only tall when I'm climbing a steep incline."
http://www.dhasselhoff.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HanzenRider
Volunteer

Post by HanzenRider » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:48 pm

Just an FYI, Im usually a very positive person with postitive attitude....but...

Im slowly losing hope for a 2nd season after seeing this. Im a HUGE HUGE HUGE Knight Rider Fan and I love the retool episodes. It has improved tremendiously. If they dont give a greenlight for 2nd season, I blame NBC for purposely allowing Knight Rider to fail by not advertising. NBC advertised so much for the backdoor pilot and the series premiere. Backdoor pilot got 15 million viewers. After that, they slowly stopped. I HATE NBC'S reality shows. NBC did not notify people that Knight Rider will be on in two weeks with advertisement. I strongly feel NBC wants Knight Rider to fail. Thats just how I feel. Im so mad at NBC right now. :evil:

But, if NBC gives greenlight for 2nd Season or pass it on to another station like USA or SciFi for 2nd Season, then I forgive them. :good:
:kitt2:
HanzenRider

brightblades
Stranger

Post by brightblades » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:54 pm

Excellent and very funny episode. The turbo boost FX looks like the same one that was used in the movie Wanted. Still looked cool.

Question - In the chase scene. What band and song is played during that scene. I really liked it.

Hopefully there will be a second season.

:kitt:

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:55 pm

I don't think ads would have made a significant difference. That wasn't going to bring back the audience who initially tuned in and then stopped watching. They moved on a long time ago. The retooling was primarily for the fans. What's interesting to me is that KR doesn't have the typical weekly drop off that's expected with a show subject to declining ratings and retooling. Its been pretty steady which means KR has found its audience and they are tuning in every week. This might prompt NBC to renew it and put it in a friday/saturday night slot. But this is best case scenario. Unfortunately KR carries a lot of negative baggage with it which might force NBC to cancel it anyway just to get it off their roster.

KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by KITT » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:23 pm

i also think a problem is that many people don't know about the retooling. i've gotten 4 people to re-tune in to the show because they didn't like it in the beginning and stopped watching.. they didn't know it was "retooled" and now at least 2 of them like it. (haven't spoke to the other 2 yet about what they thought.)
Lady: "I bet you're tall, dark, and handsome."
KITT: "I'm definitely dark and handsome, I'm only tall when I'm climbing a steep incline."
http://www.dhasselhoff.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MR2NR
FLAG Recruit

Post by MR2NR » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:17 pm

KITT wrote:
at least it's doing better then that howie show :P
lol I think watching grass grow and paint dry beats that show.
K.R.A.M. Knight Reformulation Automated Machine 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo.

To the people who made the Knight Rider Festival possible especially Paul Casey. Thank You! See you all and more in 2012 :kitt2:

FordFilly82
Operative

Post by FordFilly82 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:44 am

Mr.Marcus wrote:I don't think ads would have made a significant difference. That wasn't going to bring back the audience who initially tuned in and then stopped watching. They moved on a long time ago. The retooling was primarily for the fans. What's interesting to me is that KR doesn't have the typical weekly drop off that's expected with a show subject to declining ratings and retooling. Its been pretty steady which means KR has found its audience and they are tuning in every week. This might prompt NBC to renew it and put it in a friday/saturday night slot. But this is best case scenario. Unfortunately KR carries a lot of negative baggage with it which might force NBC to cancel it anyway just to get it off their roster.
Marcus, I do believe that is most positive thing I have heard you say all week! LOL :P

So now *I* become the voice of doom and gloom, LOL: I expect ratings to be much lower than we think/want/hope mainly b/c the "digital switch" and the moronic stations who did not decide to hold off. Unless every single NBC station in the US didn't switch (Which I doubt), then I know there are many, many viewers who were/are otherwise unable to watch KR.
We have one converter, which is in the Living room, but our bedroom needs one since I occasionally go "Old school" and record to VHS some of my shows. Which KR was one of ... so now there is fighting for viewing rights on Wed nights, though it's usually better than whatever else is on (unless it's PBS LOL).

I agree with Mr. Marcus in that the viewers are there; proven by the fact that the numbers for a "retooled" show have not dramatically fallen and have, in fact, stayed the same. Which I think bodes well for KR. Being 13th among NBC shows may not be as good, but KR has been 3rd or 4th and i think once it was 2nd among the nets. So I think Wed may end up being it's new home, though I do wish for Monday's. Switch Medium and KR (not necessarily their times).
"Chuck" (a super-smart human fighting crime) and "Knight Rider" (a super-smart car fighting crime) sounds better. It keeps your really Sci-Fi based shows together while the pseudo-Sci-Fi Medium I think fits better with the Law & Order genre.

But that's just my two cents.. :wink:
Efficient Morphing Mobile Autonomy
KITT: There are not enough hours in the day for me to list everything that confuses you.
Mike: Oh, snap!
Kitt: Yes, Micheal. Snap.

Petition #2507

mvautodunn
Stranger

Post by mvautodunn » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:49 am

I really wish they would do dvr/web into the ratings. They need to do KR on the Idol off season, I really hate idol anyway.

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:57 am

FordFilly82 wrote: We have one converter, which is in the Living room, but our bedroom needs one since I occasionally go "Old school" and record to VHS some of my shows. Which KR was one of ... so now there is fighting for viewing rights on Wed nights, though it's usually better than whatever else is on (unless it's PBS LOL).

Ah, is that how its resolved? I was wondering because I cant seem to ever get to watch my tv, constant fighting over it :D I don't have one in the bedroom, maybe I should.

FordFilly82
Operative

Post by FordFilly82 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:11 am

weeezl wrote:
FordFilly82 wrote: We have one converter, which is in the Living room, but our bedroom needs one since I occasionally go "Old school" and record to VHS some of my shows. Which KR was one of ... so now there is fighting for viewing rights on Wed nights, though it's usually better than whatever else is on (unless it's PBS LOL).

Ah, is that how its resolved? I was wondering because I cant seem to ever get to watch my tv, constant fighting over it :D I don't have one in the bedroom, maybe I should.
Yeah you probably should! LOL
All I can say is that *my* house a little less rambunctious! :P Well, at least as far as adults; my kid on the other hand...she's a different topic! LOL :mrgreen:
Efficient Morphing Mobile Autonomy
KITT: There are not enough hours in the day for me to list everything that confuses you.
Mike: Oh, snap!
Kitt: Yes, Micheal. Snap.

Petition #2507

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:15 am

FordFilly82 wrote: Yeah you probably should! LOL
All I can say is that *my* house a little less rambunctious! :P Well, at least as far as adults; my kid on the other hand...she's a different topic! LOL :mrgreen:
Woah I hear ya on that, same here. My daughter is a proper tearaway, she's so hyperactive. Doesn't matter how many times I tidy up, makes no difference, she whips through the house like a tornado leaving a path of destruction. :D always manages to get out just about every single toy for me to stand on or trip over too, thank god for the back garden! :D

davidknightrider
Rookie

Post by davidknightrider » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:47 am

I just wish those 2 million viewers that were lost during the weeks KR went off air, eventually return.

since the retool, the episodes have just been superb.

necrophilissimo
Rookie

Post by necrophilissimo » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:14 am

mvautodunn wrote:I really wish they would do dvr/web into the ratings. They need to do KR on the Idol off season, I really hate idol anyway.
Second that.
TAGAP: The Apocalyptic Game About Penguins - Join the penguin apocalypse!

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:29 am

Do the ratings even matter anymore? A lot of people seem to be concerned about them despite the fact that the season is pretty much over and the show's fate seems like it will be decided regardless of ratings. The show is successful with a key demographic and has pretty much consistently held the same amount of viewers without a major dip in ratings (aside from after the Obama-mercial). As others have pointed out, I agree the show has found its audience by now. Somehow people seem to think 2 or 3 million extra viewers are suddenly going to appear each week and it hasn't been the case.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:53 am

FordFilly82 wrote:
Mr.Marcus wrote:I don't think ads would have made a significant difference. That wasn't going to bring back the audience who initially tuned in and then stopped watching. They moved on a long time ago. The retooling was primarily for the fans. What's interesting to me is that KR doesn't have the typical weekly drop off that's expected with a show subject to declining ratings and retooling. Its been pretty steady which means KR has found its audience and they are tuning in every week. This might prompt NBC to renew it and put it in a friday/saturday night slot. But this is best case scenario. Unfortunately KR carries a lot of negative baggage with it which might force NBC to cancel it anyway just to get it off their roster.
Marcus, I do believe that is most positive thing I have heard you say all week! LOL :P

So now *I* become the voice of doom and gloom, LOL: I expect ratings to be much lower than we think/want/hope mainly b/c the "digital switch" and the moronic stations who did not decide to hold off. Unless every single NBC station in the US didn't switch (Which I doubt), then I know there are many, many viewers who were/are otherwise unable to watch KR.
We have one converter, which is in the Living room, but our bedroom needs one since I occasionally go "Old school" and record to VHS some of my shows. Which KR was one of ... so now there is fighting for viewing rights on Wed nights, though it's usually better than whatever else is on (unless it's PBS LOL).

I agree with Mr. Marcus in that the viewers are there; proven by the fact that the numbers for a "retooled" show have not dramatically fallen and have, in fact, stayed the same. Which I think bodes well for KR. Being 13th among NBC shows may not be as good, but KR has been 3rd or 4th and i think once it was 2nd among the nets. So I think Wed may end up being it's new home, though I do wish for Monday's. Switch Medium and KR (not necessarily their times).
"Chuck" (a super-smart human fighting crime) and "Knight Rider" (a super-smart car fighting crime) sounds better. It keeps your really Sci-Fi based shows together while the pseudo-Sci-Fi Medium I think fits better with the Law & Order genre.

But that's just my two cents.. :wink:
I'm being realistic. The show has found its audience and they are tuning in which explains why the ratings haven't steadily dropped after the reboot. I admit that surprised me since I expected the typical steady decline. So best case scenario is that NBC renews it and moves it to a friday/saturday night.

But there's something else to take into account and that's Bromstad's comments about making NBC a ratings leader again with quality programming. Like it or not over the past year KR has been hammered by the press and its become a liability for NBC's public image. KR has become NBC's "Room 101" as described by Orwell. So if I were Bromstad canceling KR would be top on my agenda b/c the ratings don't merit keeping it in primetime and its damaged NBC's reputation. The later being especially significant if a major goal is to bring credibility back to NBC programming. I'll say one thing though, I'd hate to be the interns assigned to Bromstad right now since going through thousands of letters of support for KR would not make me happy.

Knight4life
Operative

Post by Knight4life » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:12 am

The bad start of the show costed it a lot.

SilverFoxThief
Recruit

Post by SilverFoxThief » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:00 am

Knight4life wrote:The bad start of the show costed it a lot.
I thought it was the opposite, with Ford's sponsership that is.
Kid at gas station: Dude, your car’s glowing!
KITT: Michael, we don’t have much time.
Kid at gas station: Dude, your car’s talking!!
(Episode – Knight Fever)

chrisjones
FLAG Recruit

Post by chrisjones » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:15 pm

I think he was referring to the lack of advertising, not the financial implications. :wink:
[b]No way you mentalist![/b]

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:33 pm

The problem with moving a show like KR to a friday night is that the younger generation (the ones that watch it) go out, get drunk and have fun.

It makes no sense to move it to a Fri or Sat night. Sunday would be cool.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:57 pm

Skav wrote:The problem with moving a show like KR to a friday night is that the younger generation (the ones that watch it) go out, get drunk and have fun.

It makes complete sense to move a show like KR to a friday/saturday night. KR is a cult show. Cult shows on major networks do well on a friday/saturday night. The Pretender was on saturday nights on NBC and had 4 seasons and 2 tv movies. Moving it to Sunday won't help. 8 o clock will be against home makeover, simpsons, family guy. 9 o clock will be against desperate housewives. These shows have been in those time slots for years and have very loyal viewers so they aren't going to watch KR in that timeslot. Also, don't believe the hype. Not nearly as many people go out every weekend as they have you believe.

chrisjones
FLAG Recruit

Post by chrisjones » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:19 pm

Skav wrote:The problem with moving a show like KR to a friday night is that the younger generation (the ones that watch it) go out, get drunk and have fun.

And I think you will find that short of a miracle, nothing will stop 'kids' going out and getting drunk - No TV show on earth (major sporting events aside) has that power over todays youth.
[b]No way you mentalist![/b]

Lynda414
FLAG Assistant

Post by Lynda414 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:44 pm

They don't have to go out and drink, they can drink while watching KR.

mustang_fan91
Rookie

Post by mustang_fan91 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:22 pm

I have one point I want to make (it might be insignificant but hopefully not)
On Wednesday, there were many Mexican league soccer games at that time, so many Hispanic viewers were watching those. I think it could have been at least .25 million more viewers for the show.

But that's just me.
KI3T: "I have something we need to discuss. It's important."
Mike: "Dude, It's been a really long day and if you're secretly falling in love with me, I'm going to be awfully upset"