Live Discussion - Knight and the City

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: Matthew, neps, Michael Pajaro

User avatar
Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
Posts: 1600
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:10 am
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: Knight Manor

Re: Live Discussion - Knight and the City

Post by Victor Kros » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:12 pm

Marcus,

"They are wonderful accomplishments but they have no correlation whatsoever to the fact that what was shown on KR08 this week also existed on TOS and are contrary to the claim you originally made which was patently false. I call a spade, a spade. I don't care if you're Larson himself. You were wrong dude."

That wasn't the point, that was YOUR point, not mine. You said I was "patently false" that K.I.T.T. never acted upon his own accord, that he had to be told to do things. Perhaps you have a selective mind, but let me spell it out to you.

I said the following in my original post which you responded to:

"Why didn't KITT race up to protect Mike without being "told" to do it? Classic KITT would race to Michael's aid the moment danger was detected -- yet this KITT despite the progress made last week is still being "told" what to do."

That is where you are wrong and you can either accept that or continue to neglect the truth that has been pointed out to you. You made a matter afact statement that was ultimately false. I never stated that you were wrong about KITT being told what to do -- I stated you were wrong for saying he never did things of his own accord which originally krfan1 brought up in the first place that you chose to agree with.

K.I.T.T. should have protected Mike without having to be told to do so. My statement stands.

When it comes to being wrong, you should follow your own advice.

=VK=
:dash:

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 310
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:13 am

Re: Live Discussion - Knight and the City

Post by Mr.Marcus » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:24 pm

Victor Kros wrote:Marcus,

"They are wonderful accomplishments but they have no correlation whatsoever to the fact that what was shown on KR08 this week also existed on TOS and are contrary to the claim you originally made which was patently false. I call a spade, a spade. I don't care if you're Larson himself. You were wrong dude."

That wasn't the point, that was YOUR point, not mine. You said I was "patently false" that K.I.T.T. never acted upon his own accord, that he had to be told to do things. Perhaps you have a selective mind, but let me spell it out to you.

I said the following in my original post which you responded to:

"Why didn't KITT race up to protect Mike without being "told" to do it? Classic KITT would race to Michael's aid the moment danger was detected -- yet this KITT despite the progress made last week is still being "told" what to do."

That is where you are wrong and you can either accept that or continue to neglect the truth that has been pointed out to you. You made a matter afact statement that was ultimately false.

Follow your own advice.

=VK=
:dash:


A patently false statement is one that is wrong on its surface. Your statement:

"Why didn't KITT race up to protect Mike without being "told" to do it? Classic KITT would race to Michael's aid the moment danger was detected -- yet this KITT despite the progress made last week is still being "told" what to do."

Is a patently false statement for the reasons mentioned by myself and others here. Now you can argue semantics, wax on about a book I've never heard of and editing you've done, but it doesn't change the fact that you were wrong. And bringing up issues like the book and your editing work that have no relevance to the point of contention do not support any arguments you're making. Things like that wreak of hubris and insecurity. Good day sir.

User avatar
Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 821
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Cyber Space
Contact:

Re: Live Discussion - Knight and the City

Post by Rockatteer » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:44 pm

Was anyone else disappointed that the scene where Kitt breaks through the wall to save Eddie was edited?

I would really like scenes like that to be one shot so we can actually see the action.
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com

User avatar
Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 878
Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 12:29 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Sweden

Re: Live Discussion - Knight and the City

Post by Knight-Armen » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:52 pm

No, you were implying that he was a government vehicle. Then, if not the United States then where the Soviet Union KGB

Yes, I have all four seasons of knight rider and he was not a government vehicle.
FLAG was freelance organization that was funded by the knight foundation

FLAG was a cross between the ACLU and Nader’s Raider’s, an "private organization" that champions the causes of any group or worthy individual. – knight rider companion by Nick Nugent

Is the ACLU a government organization, even though it says America in it? No it is not, it is a private organization. If it were a government run organization then it would be funded primary by the government and regulated by them. did Michael ever read any one there Miranda rights no he always handed the bad guy over to the cops because he no authority to arrest them because he was freelance.


Right, foundation for law and government vehicle, does that work better for you?

I know the foundation in itself is a private organization and that is of course one of the reasons why Michael never took police matters (such as "arrests") in his own hands. Nevertheless, how is it possible for an organization like this to act without any government approval? That's just the same as saying FLAG is above the law, they take matters in their own hand. Investigate all you want but Michael went way beyond just investigating.

I'd prefer it if you'd take any further of this discussion on PM as we're getting of topic here.
Michael: Kitt what matters to me is who you are not what you look like. Sure we don't have the car so we can't turbo boost so we can't go over 200 miles an hour but it was all icing on the cake anyway

User avatar
Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
Posts: 1600
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:10 am
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: Knight Manor

Re: Live Discussion - Knight and the City

Post by Victor Kros » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:22 pm

Mr.Marcus wrote:
Victor Kros wrote:Marcus,

"They are wonderful accomplishments but they have no correlation whatsoever to the fact that what was shown on KR08 this week also existed on TOS and are contrary to the claim you originally made which was patently false. I call a spade, a spade. I don't care if you're Larson himself. You were wrong dude."

That wasn't the point, that was YOUR point, not mine. You said I was "patently false" that K.I.T.T. never acted upon his own accord, that he had to be told to do things. Perhaps you have a selective mind, but let me spell it out to you.

I said the following in my original post which you responded to:

"Why didn't KITT race up to protect Mike without being "told" to do it? Classic KITT would race to Michael's aid the moment danger was detected -- yet this KITT despite the progress made last week is still being "told" what to do."

That is where you are wrong and you can either accept that or continue to neglect the truth that has been pointed out to you. You made a matter afact statement that was ultimately false.

Follow your own advice.

=VK=
:dash:


A patently false statement is one that is wrong on its surface. Your statement:

"Why didn't KITT race up to protect Mike without being "told" to do it? Classic KITT would race to Michael's aid the moment danger was detected -- yet this KITT despite the progress made last week is still being "told" what to do."

Is a patently false statement for the reasons mentioned by myself and others here. Now you can argue semantics, wax on about a book I've never heard of and editing you've done, but it doesn't change the fact that you were wrong. And bringing up issues like the book and your editing work that have no relevance to the point of contention do not support any arguments you're making. Things like that wreak of hubris and insecurity. Good day sir.


- Marcus it's nonsense like this that got you suspended and I'm not getting suspended over your conflictive nature. You reek of ignorance and desperation. Those points in bold are desperation to sideline the fact you've been proven wrong, my statement had one surface and one point that does not align with your beliefs. I can debate with the best of them, you still have a lot to learn about good sportsmanship.

As far as I'm concerned this issue is a stalemate because either way a conclusion is either going to end up embarrassing you and making me look bad (whether I am right or not) or we're going to get disciplined over it. Quite frankly you have an inflated sense of importance.

Therefore I am agreeing to disagree with you and I'm moving on.

Good luck.

Now lets get this thread back on track.

=VK=
:dash:

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 657
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:17 pm

Re: Live Discussion - Knight and the City

Post by pheonix_knight » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:18 pm

Ki3t is a new AI and is STILL learning so would spend more time observing a situation rather than take initiative.

Ki2t was an established AI BEFORE being installed in the T/A body and was effectively more 'mature'...

Simple really

User avatar
Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 821
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Cyber Space
Contact:

Re: Live Discussion - Knight and the City

Post by Rockatteer » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:32 pm

anyone notice the bad guy (with the broken nose) was Brad from Home Improvement? :D
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com

Knight94
Operative
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:21 pm

Re: Live Discussion - Knight and the City

Post by Knight94 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:37 pm

I just watched "Knight and the City". That Terry fella just asked for a stompin'. I liked the Gibbs head-slap his
dad gave him. He asked for that, takin' a gun into a bar, tryin to fight an Army Ranger. The turbo boost trick
was cool. And Eddie, a pacifist, as a bouncer? Not seein' it. The Beavis and Butthead duo, tryin' to steal KITT,
whadda couple of jokers. The cutting torch stunt was too funny. Julie just about scared the crap outta that
one guy, the joker trying to swipe the money off the bar. A knife thru the hand, or between the fingers, would
certainly discourage theft. That guy did just about lose two fingers. All in all, pretty cool ep.

User avatar
Jay
Rookie
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:56 pm

Re: Live Discussion - Knight and the City

Post by Jay » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:45 pm

Fun episode, the Turbo Boost ended up much cooler than many people presumed it to be.

I may be unique, but I find the Zoe-Billy banter quite enjoyable - I like their character dynamic and like how it supports the story.

Nick, if you're going to go all drama and 'leave the building', stay out. And don't tell anyone they have a 'inflated sense of importance'... if someone tells one that they were weren't fully correct, and that one starts calling down on their superiority over another... I'm sorry, but that belongs in a schoolyard.
"Alright Mr. KITT, let's burn some rubber!" Knight Song

User avatar
Michael Pajaro
Advisor
Posts: 3082
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Re: Live Discussion - Knight and the City

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:03 pm

Members do not get disciplined for the actions of others; only for their own behavior.

Everyone please stop with the name-calling and the insults.

Thank you.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

User avatar
Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
Posts: 1600
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:10 am
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: Knight Manor

Re: Live Discussion - Knight and the City

Post by Victor Kros » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:07 pm

Jay wrote:Fun episode, the Turbo Boost ended up much cooler than many people presumed it to be.

I may be unique, but I find the Zoe-Billy banter quite enjoyable - I like their character dynamic and like how it supports the story.

Nick, if you're going to go all drama and 'leave the building', stay out. And don't tell anyone they have a 'inflated sense of importance'... if someone tells one that they were weren't fully correct, and that one starts calling down on their superiority over another... I'm sorry, but that belongs in a schoolyard.


- Jay I tried to stay out of it and walk away and my name was dragged back into it in quite frankly a disrespectful way. This particular conflict did not involve you and I'll thank you to stay out of it and if you can't do that, you're free to ignore me accordingly.

Your commentary is not helping matters.

Let it go and stay on topic. Thanks.

=VK=
:dash:

User avatar
Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 821
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Cyber Space
Contact:

Re: Live Discussion - Knight and the City

Post by Rockatteer » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:20 pm

Can someone tell my why Kitts turbo boosters only fired on the left hand side?

Normal Turbo boost provides a forward and upward boost of equal pressure to produce a jump. Why then would we suddenly and for no apparent reason , and with no specific command given, see two left hand boosters fire by themselves?

It makes no sense. All that should have happened is that Kitt fired off in the direction that he was facing.. not a sideways jump.
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com

User avatar
FordFilly82
Operative
Posts: 150
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:19 am

Re: Live Discussion - Knight and the City

Post by FordFilly82 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:10 pm

Rockatteer wrote:Can someone tell my why Kitts turbo boosters only fired on the left hand side?

Normal Turbo boost provides a forward and upward boost of equal pressure to produce a jump. Why then would we suddenly and for no apparent reason , and with no specific command given, see two left hand boosters fire by themselves?

It makes no sense. All that should have happened is that Kitt fired off in the direction that he was facing.. not a sideways jump.


Yeah really!? Unless Traceur has some kind of control of TB that we the audience are unaware of(divine flaw?)?
And i also did notice that the baddie was Brad from Home Improvement! It was cool to see him again!

And a quick note about KITT: I think it was said in "Knight/Phoenix" that KITT was programmed to preserve not just human life, but MK's in particular. Which makes the eps where he waits to be called on just as much a part of his programming as is driving over MK to protect him. It's all in the programming.

Any other comments about this subject would be(and are) childish and have no relevance here.....
Boy! I think everyone's getting "Knight Fever" (yes I used those words *very* carefully) waiting for the word on the series....
Efficient Morphing Mobile Autonomy
KITT: There are not enough hours in the day for me to list everything that confuses you.
Mike: Oh, snap!
Kitt: Yes, Micheal. Snap.

Petition #2507

User avatar
Michael Pajaro
Advisor
Posts: 3082
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Re: Live Discussion - Knight and the City

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:31 pm

Victor, you are not helping either.

To everyone: let's consider the matter closed. No more name calling, no more insults, no more telling people what to do or what not to do. Thank you.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

User avatar
Michael Pajaro
Advisor
Posts: 3082
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Re: Live Discussion - Knight and the City

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:41 pm

Rockatteer wrote:Can someone tell my why Kitts turbo boosters only fired on the left hand side?

Normal Turbo boost provides a forward and upward boost of equal pressure to produce a jump. Why then would we suddenly and for no apparent reason , and with no specific command given, see two left hand boosters fire by themselves?

It makes no sense. All that should have happened is that Kitt fired off in the direction that he was facing.. not a sideways jump.


I think there is a lot of implied calculations going on. KITT knew he was going sideways, he knew there was a bridge above them. Had he just fired a normal upward boost, maybe he wouldn't have had enough clearance to get over the cars. So by creating the flip, it gave him an extra few feet of clearance. Plus, it probably made for a smoother landing since he could roll on to the bridge rather just just plop down on it with all of that sideways momentum.

Now the REAL reason we saw it was because it looked cool. But I think there's enough wiggle room to go in and invent a reasonable explanation.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

User avatar
LisaRosa
Recruit
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:06 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Midwest, USA

Re: Live Discussion - Knight and the City

Post by LisaRosa » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:44 am

I loved this episode! My favorite scene was Kitt doing the sideway Turbo Boost because of Kitt's scream and Mike's comment afterward. It had me laughing to the point I had tears in my eyes. Great special effect too.

I've recently bought all four seasons of TOS and have been watching them, remembering when I first saw them back in the 80's. I had just finished watching the very 1st episode which included the car theives right before watching KR08 wednesday night. When the felons showed up around Ki3t, I nearly cheered because it reminded me of the TOS. Now all they need to do (if we get a second season <crossing fingers and praying>) is bring in a dog or an alligator to harrass Kitt. :lol:

I only had one little issue and that was Mike finding it so easy to romance a woman other than Sarah because he had refused other woman in the past because of his relationship with Sarah. There might have been an edited out scene somewhere between Sarah and Mike agreeing to date other people though as there was this look between them when Julie came up in the conversation. It was almost as if they had come to an understanding or something like that.

All in all, very good episode. One more to go... <Crossing fingers for renewal>
Lisa :kittside:

User avatar
Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 821
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Cyber Space
Contact:

Re: Live Discussion - Knight and the City

Post by Rockatteer » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:02 am

Michael Pajaro wrote:Now the REAL reason we saw it was because it looked cool. But I think there's enough wiggle room to go in and invent a reasonable explanation.

Yeah, your right. I wish we didn't have to invent our own reasons though. Anomalies like this should be explained in the show.

You often hear directors and producers of movies talking about how they have to be so much more careful in doing things because the audience is a lot more savvy and astute and picks up on things a lot more. Yet the KR08 producers seem to be taking the exact opposite approach in many respects.

It's quite disappointing there there doesn't seem to be any real investment in background ideas or mythology for this show. They just throw stuff together like a bad salad.
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com

User avatar
gromia77
Rookie
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:53 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Finland

Re: Live Discussion - Knight and the City

Post by gromia77 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:26 am

Michael Pajaro wrote:I think there is a lot of implied calculations going on. KITT knew he was going sideways, he knew there was a bridge above them. Had he just fired a normal upward boost, maybe he wouldn't have had enough clearance to get over the cars. So by creating the flip, it gave him an extra few feet of clearance. Plus, it probably made for a smoother landing since he could roll on to the bridge rather just just plop down on it with all of that sideways momentum.


Yeah that's what I figured. After Mike told Kitt to TB he turned the car so Kitt had to make the quick calculation that since Mike wanted to get on the bridge Kitt had to fire the left side boosters only for that to happen.

What I don't understand is if Kitt "relies on past performance to indicate future action" and Mike's never done a sideways TB before (that we know of) how did Kitt even know what Mike was up to :?
Zoe: Burn rubber Kitt!
Kitt: Burning rubber.

User avatar
PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops
Posts: 2363
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:20 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: MI

Re: Live Discussion - Knight and the City

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:45 am

I think that once Mike started that sharp/hard turn KITT would have known, heh.

Anyway, I don't have any major problems with this episode and really haven't with the last couple either but there's a part of me that, I dunno, is feeling that there's still something missing. I still need to rewatch this episode, something I've been slacking on doing over the last couple weeks.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

User avatar
Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 821
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Cyber Space
Contact:

Re: Live Discussion - Knight and the City

Post by Rockatteer » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:40 am

PHOENIXZERO wrote:but there's a part of me that, I dunno, is feeling that there's still something missing.

That something is continuity.

The show doesn't flow from week to week with the same structure and formula. This show is a mish-mash of ideas every episode. You never know whats going on from one week to the next, we've got episodes out of order, continuity messed up, the shows a train wreck at the moment.
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com

User avatar
Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
Posts: 1600
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:10 am
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: Knight Manor

Re: Live Discussion - Knight and the City

Post by Victor Kros » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:38 pm

Rockatteer wrote:
PHOENIXZERO wrote:but there's a part of me that, I dunno, is feeling that there's still something missing.

That something is continuity.

The show doesn't flow from week to week with the same structure and formula. This show is a mish-mash of ideas every episode. You never know whats going on from one week to the next, we've got episodes out of order, continuity messed up, the shows a train wreck at the moment.


- I agree with you to a certain extent but other fans would debate that the show is still trying to "find its way" and therefore inconsistancies are forgivable because it's still trying to reboot itself. It is a hodge podge of certain things that just seem to come out of nowhere or create mysteries that go no where while at other times for the sake of the "reboot" previously established events in the timeline are just thrown out.

Another big problem is their shooting order - when you start jumbling up the episode orders like this and you're trying to have a somewhat consistant storyline built around them, things get out of place. Just like the couch moving into the pitch black SSC for the first time and so on. This is one of the flaws of trying to write and shoot episodes under the gun out of sequence. Sometimes it works if the stories are independent enough and sometimes it backfires...especially when you need to fix something that your audience doesn't care for and it's already too late because you've already spent the money on shooting or creating it.

I will say that the episodes as of late have been hit and miss for me but they have more structure to them than the earlier ones. Does it mean this show is where it needs to be? No, it still has more to go before it's bankable enough to earn another season and with only one episode left and yet another hiatus, it's like betting on roulette, better hope NBC bets on black to bring it back.

=VK=
:dash:

User avatar
Knight Wolf 619
Volunteer
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:09 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Live Discussion - Knight and the City

Post by Knight Wolf 619 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:24 am

I thought it was a good episode minus another anti climatic ending, Which seems to be the trend in the new series, But i wont dwell of that seeing i loved it for the most part , One thing i was wondering is kitt a few times drove by himself and the windows were not darkened like in the past and you could see the drivers seat was empty, So do they still have one of the remote cars or was that just editing to remove someone driving, Because i know its been said after the pilot they were auctioned off or something.

User avatar
Milo
Recruit
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:16 am

Re: Live Discussion - Knight and the City

Post by Milo » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:05 am

not a bad episode, think i prefered the previous one, still not used to the new turbo boost,
one question, I thought they killed off mike tracuer or what ever his last name was and made him michael knight so no one would know, but the last few eps every one still seems to know who he is ?? or is he not to supposed to be top secret now?? im a little confuesed

User avatar
Milo
Recruit
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:16 am

Re: Live Discussion - Knight and the City

Post by Milo » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:06 am

not a bad episode, think i prefered the previous one, still not used to the new turbo boost,
one question, I thought they killed off mike tracuer or what ever his last name was and made him michael knight so no one would know, but the last few eps every one still seems to know who he is ?? or is he not to supposed to be top secret now?? im a little confuesed, oh what is the name of the organization now? scc or somehing? is it supposed to be similar to flag was?

R.I.T.T.
Recruit
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:08 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Contact:

Re: Live Discussion - Knight and the City

Post by R.I.T.T. » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:03 am

Well because the episodes order was changed the references to the SCC are a bit strange but as said before, Michael is the full first name of Mike and his friends never referred to him with his last name. And he also never had his face reconstructed so it would be odd if they didn't recognize him.
Hello, I am Rush Industries Three Thousand, R.I.T.T. for easy reference, or Ritt if you prefer.

Locked