Wheres turbo boost????

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

MURDOCK
Rookie

Wheres turbo boost????

Post by MURDOCK » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:51 pm

What happened to turbo boost?
I still wanna see the jump at indian dunnes from black rock recreated,and the canyon jump from topaz connection,my god that be amazing plus you dont see that on tv anymore!!!!!!!
Just wreck a couple of cars and keep us fans happy!!!!!!!!!
PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!:)GST
Attachments
026.jpg
026.jpg (44.25 KiB) Viewed 15420 times
027.jpg
027.jpg (38.21 KiB) Viewed 15421 times
008.jpg
008.jpg (35.16 KiB) Viewed 15423 times

MURDOCK
Rookie

Re: Wheres turbo boost????

Post by MURDOCK » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:52 pm

Heres the last bit!!!!!
Attachments
028.jpg
028.jpg (53.83 KiB) Viewed 15421 times

MURDOCK
Rookie

Post by MURDOCK » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:54 pm

Heres indian dunnes bad quality tho!
Attachments
KITTTB.jpg
KITTTB.jpg (7.96 KiB) Viewed 15497 times

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:50 pm

Careful, now...you don't want to be outcasted for making a complaint and not enjoying the latest episode scripts...
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Knightfan82
Rookie

Post by Knightfan82 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:34 pm

I'm not sure you can do those jumps with a 2008 mustang. The 82 Trans Am had more steel in it and I suspect the Mustang would Disintegrate on impact (This is just speculation. I dont know for sure).

lunchmeat
FLAG Recruit

Post by lunchmeat » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:41 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing a doctored shot similar to the first one, with the camera rigged to the side of the car...

They could do the camera work pretty easily by flying it over the obstacle in question, to get the base shot; they could then insert a CG KI3T in one side of the shot, or they could actually attach a separate camera to one of the Attack cars and film the side of it against a greenscreen and composite the shots. I don't know which would be quicker, or easier.

I think it's safe to say, however, that we won't witness a Mustang actually launching over a gorge.
If I am destroyed... ...so shall you be. -KARR

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:46 pm

These aren't going to happen, unless someone starts paying for the show. The problem, see, is that the next frame from this:

is this:

We can all imagine how well that landing went.

lunchmeat
FLAG Recruit

Post by lunchmeat » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:53 pm

NeoRanger wrote:These aren't going to happen, unless someone starts paying for the show. The problem, see, is that the next frame from this:

is this:

We can all imagine how well that landing went.
:lol: Hah...I laughed at this. Nice work.

MURDOCK
Rookie

Post by MURDOCK » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:06 pm

Im just sharing what id like 2 c!!!!!
Those 20 inch mustang wheels,let alone the car would be destroyed!!!!!!!!!!!
As in the dukes of hazzard movie 2005,they did not put ppl in the car rather slung them of useing pressure,same effect!They should wreck a car it be the *?$#!

MURDOCK
Rookie

Post by MURDOCK » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:09 pm

Is the footage of the white rock jump landing out there? 8)

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:16 pm

They don't have to make jumps like that with the Mustang. Let's start with something small and work our way up! Better to do the simple stuff well than doing the advanced stuff bad. The latter is really what they're aiming for so far. They want to make impossible and outrageous stuff that doesn't appear very well on screen!

The old show kept things realistic and possible which took them all the way to a fourth season. The new show is no where near that potential at this point!
Michael: Kitt what matters to me is who you are not what you look like. Sure we don't have the car so we can't turbo boost so we can't go over 200 miles an hour but it was all icing on the cake anyway

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:54 am

Knightfan82 wrote:I'm not sure you can do those jumps with a 2008 mustang. The 82 Trans Am had more steel in it and I suspect the Mustang would Disintegrate on impact (This is just speculation. I dont know for sure).
I think this is good point. but I would love to see the Mustang do that for the fun of it Image :kitt:

Faithful Car KRO
FLAG Recruit

Post by Faithful Car KRO » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:11 am

I'm pretty sure if KR is picked up for another season Ford will be more than willing to give the crew a few cars they can crash....maybe they can work out a deal with ford like Larson did with GM anf get some bruised up cars for a cheap price.
"Michael, I agree with your earlier assessment, back-up plans suck."- KI3T
Put the word out!
WATCH THE SHOW!!!: Wed at 8:00pm on NBC.
Its getting better and gaining ratings, AWESOME!!

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:53 am

Transforming seems like the new Turbo Boost,guys...sadly. :( I want Turbo Boost...so...awesome stuff! :D
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

Faithful Car KRO
FLAG Recruit

Post by Faithful Car KRO » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:10 am

Sky_Blue_Civic wrote:Transforming seems like the new Turbo Boost,guys...sadly. :( I want Turbo Boost...so...awesome stuff! :D
You have a point and it was something I was gonna pick up on in another topic but I'll just throw it out here.

Turbo Boost, no matter how cool it was in the original, was a gimmick. At points, an extremely cheesy gimmick.
Transformations, no matter how cool I think they are, are a gimmick aswell. At some points, an extremely cheesy gimmick.

Yes, this KI3T can TB, and Ski-Mode and it has the grappling hook, and those may have been fine for the original, but now in this day and age, you need a big gimmick, something new to add to the mix to update it and make it apart of the formula. Thats what the transformations are. The new KR gimmick.
You cant take it out now, as that would take a chuck out of the heart of the new show, aswell as turning away the many fans of the new show which like the transformations.
And it's not like they go overboard with them. All except for...i'd say 2, were used to help out the plot and they were necessary to the condition of the story. Plus, sometimes, they're just awesome to watch. My fave? The opening of A Hard Day's Knight, with Mike beating up the guy in the van, then him going into the front and realizing the car was driving itself. That was awesome and funny and a throw back to the original show.

You cant expect the old show's gimmicks to keep a new show alive, it has to go a step beyond the norm and in my honest opinion, it wouldn't be Knight Rider:TNG without the transformations now....

EDIT: I dont want to make it sound like I dont like torbo boost. I really, really do. And I want more jumps in the show, but I'm just saying that this show needs it own gimmicks mixed in with the old show's...
Last edited by Faithful Car KRO on Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Michael, I agree with your earlier assessment, back-up plans suck."- KI3T
Put the word out!
WATCH THE SHOW!!!: Wed at 8:00pm on NBC.
Its getting better and gaining ratings, AWESOME!!

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:18 am

Sky - If what you're saying is true it means that turbo boost wasn't all that appreciated amongst the viewers. Now, since they're using CGI they figured let's drop the turbo boost which isn't bringing us any viewers for the transformation. Atleast there's no other way of doing that (than with CGI) and better yet they won't be recieving any complaints about the transformations were done badly.

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this before but they don't need to use a Shelby GT500KR for the turbo boost stunt! That's plain insanity! What they need is a cheap, used Mustang and replace the frontend with a rubber fender like they did with Ki2t, that should work perfectly!
Michael: Kitt what matters to me is who you are not what you look like. Sure we don't have the car so we can't turbo boost so we can't go over 200 miles an hour but it was all icing on the cake anyway

Sty Knight
Recruit

Post by Sty Knight » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:34 am

Knight-Armen wrote: I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this before but they don't need to use a Shelby GT500KR for the turbo boost stunt! That's plain insanity! What they need is a cheap, used Mustang and replace the frontend with a rubber fender like they did with Ki2t, that should work perfectly!
Problem is, when it comes down to a TV show on the rocks and the economy, every penny counts. CGI, while sometimes lacking would most likely be cheaper than buying a car and creating rubber panels for it. Not to mention the extra time and work production would have to put in to create the stunts. All of it costs money and sadly it doesn't seem like a valid option this day in age.
Save Knight Rider Petition Signed #5610

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:53 am

^^ Not to mention the issue of the actual result. We think we have it really bad with the CGI turbo boosts, but it's plenty hard and costly to set up a perfect, live-action turbo boost. The original certainly had issues with that as well. I've been watching the first season (finishing right now, as a matter of fact) and it's mind-numbing how many turbo boosts look awful. Those poor cars seem to be falling apart every other scene.

I'm holding out for a perfect turbo boost (and they're possible, the original had plenty of those as well), but the CGI isn't nearly as bad as we make it out to be.

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:12 am

Sty Knight - Yes, I'm aware of the economy crisis but television costs money and if they can't pay for the utilities they may just as well stop the production. Still, I'm not so sure that buying a used car with some slight modifications to the fender would cost more than creating CGI effects that require lots of work and money. If we're thinking long terms they would certainly make a better profit from it. People are not amazed by what you can do with computer graphics. We get enough of that in games and animation films. What amazes us is how a car can jump and protect itself from bullets without any computer help, that's what brings in the money, that's what brings them viewers. Not 40 minutes of drving combined with CGI effects.

Sure, a real life turbo boost is harder to do but the end result is ten times as rewarding, you know it and I know it. We've seen it once and we know how far they made...

Sty Knight
Recruit

Post by Sty Knight » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:36 pm

Knight-Armen wrote:Sty Knight - Yes, I'm aware of the economy crisis but television costs money and if they can't pay for the utilities they may just as well stop the production. Still, I'm not so sure that buying a used car with some slight modifications to the fender would cost more than creating CGI effects that require lots of work and money. If we're thinking long terms they would certainly make a better profit from it. People are not amazed by what you can do with computer graphics. We get enough of that in games and animation films. What amazes us is how a car can jump and protect itself from bullets without any computer help, that's what brings in the money, that's what brings them viewers. Not 40 minutes of drving combined with CGI effects.

Sure, a real life turbo boost is harder to do but the end result is ten times as rewarding, you know it and I know it. We've seen it once and we know how far they made...

You've got good points Knight-Armen, but if it would have been cheaper to do it with a real car and to do real jumps, I'm certain as part of the cost cutting measure that would have been done by now.

I know I don't care if the stunts are real or CGI laden. I really don't think viewers who haven't tuned in are going to tune in just to see a car jump a fence or something. What makes viewers tune in is advertising, which I'm sorry to say NBC had completely dropped the ball with. I have seen no ads for the actual show on NBC besides a short 3 second image for when they say what's on for Wednesday night. Heck, I talked to a friend the other day who loved the TV Movie Pilot and watched a few episodes before Christmas. He said he had no clue Knight Rider was still on cause of the scheduling stupidity around the holidays. They announce new episodes of the other shows, but not a single ad about Knight Rider. Knight Rider is also doomed to fail in the horrendous Wednesday slot due to American Idol. Move it to Thursday or something and you might see things improve.

It's sad that this day in age we refer to Nielson Ratings Boxes to determine the ratings. As a topic in this forum suggests, next to no one has a box. Not to mention, in the official ratings, timeshift watchers are not included. Even legal or illegal(you decide) torrent websites say that Knight Rider is a hot commodity on their list of downloads. If you are outside of the USA, NBC doesn't allow you to stream the video on their site either. For all we know, Knight Rider has 10 million people tuning in weekly but only a fraction of them have Nielson Boxes.

Factors like that determine an audience. I really can't believe that real stunts would do much to the ratings at all.

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:23 pm

Sty Knight - Thank you! Yes, real life jumps and what not would probably not change the number of viewer ratings that much at this point - why? Because they have set the bar already. People are not going to tune in for something that is being changed now. If you want to win your audience you've got to win them right from the start.
I know I don't care if the stunts are real or CGI laden. I really don't think viewers who haven't tuned in are going to tune in just to see a car jump a fence or something. What makes viewers tune in is advertising, which I'm sorry to say NBC had completely dropped the ball with. I have seen no ads for the actual show on NBC besides a short 3 second image for when they say what's on for Wednesday night. Heck, I talked to a friend the other day who loved the TV Movie Pilot and watched a few episodes before Christmas. He said he had no clue Knight Rider was still on cause of the scheduling stupidity around the holidays. They announce new episodes of the other shows, but not a single ad about Knight Rider. Knight Rider is also doomed to fail in the horrendous Wednesday slot due to American Idol. Move it to Thursday or something and you might see things improve.

It's sad that this day in age we refer to Nielson Ratings Boxes to determine the ratings. As a topic in this forum suggests, next to no one has a box. Not to mention, in the official ratings, timeshift watchers are not included. Even legal or illegal(you decide) torrent websites say that Knight Rider is a hot commodity on their list of downloads. If you are outside of the USA, NBC doesn't allow you to stream the video on their site either. For all we know, Knight Rider has 10 million people tuning in weekly but only a fraction of them have Nielson Boxes.

Factors like that determine an audience.
Great points! I agree with what you say. It seems as if Knight Rider is a bit of a loose cannon right now. I certainly hope NBC doesn't give up on the show but the truth of the matter is we need more viewers and GST must think of a way to lure them. What that could be is yet to be seen...

lunchmeat
FLAG Recruit

Post by lunchmeat » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:43 pm

Knight-Armen wrote:What amazes us is how a car can jump and protect itself from bullets without any computer help, that's what brings in the money, that's what brings them viewers. Not 40 minutes of drving combined with CGI effects.
Don't forget - everything that we're amazed by, all the stuff we see, it's all an illusion. There are many different ways to create a television illusion, and CGI is one of them. If it was feasible, I imagine that the producers would use live ammo with an actual self-healing car that actually transforms and drives itself....but we don't have that. That said, I do agree that there aren't enough exciting driving scenes in the show.
Knight-Armen wrote:Yes, I'm aware of the economy crisis but television costs money and if they can't pay for the utilities they may just as well stop the production. Still, I'm not so sure that buying a used car with some slight modifications to the fender would cost more than creating CGI effects that require lots of work and money. If we're thinking long terms they would certainly make a better profit from it. People are not amazed by what you can do with computer graphics. We get enough of that in games and animation films.
Well....think about it.

Of course, you've got the costs of closing a road, or building a set/scene, you've got the stunt coordinators and the people to pay....hazard teams on hand...multiple camera crews, the possibility of multiple takes, and car maintenance and repair (if it survives). Time is also an issue.

This doesn't sound so bad - it might be cheaper to stick on a fake bumper, right? And jump the car, etc etc.

But think of doing this....over, and over, and over, and over again. And over again.

It's the recurring costs that would break the show, not the one-time cost. CGI may be cheaper for a one-time run, but it's definitely cheaper over multiple episodes. Why? The effects guys only have to create one 3D model of KI3T (not that I'm trivializing this, Masterkey guys!) and the corresponding animations to use in multiple scenes. This is a daunting task, but once they've done it, they can reuse it...and reuse it...and reuse it. Since the car is a fairly static object (aside from the transformations, only the wheels move....and they spin continually) it can be composited into multiple shots with less time than it would take to set up a live stunt for each scene we see.

When you add it up in a recurring scenario, the savings immediately become apparent. Also, considering the fact that filiming a full turbo-boost stunt would probably wreck a Mustang, it's probably easier to take one 3D model than run through multiple stunt cars. ;-)

Sty Knight
Recruit

Post by Sty Knight » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:43 am

Knight-Armen wrote: Great points! I agree with what you say. It seems as if Knight Rider is a bit of a loose cannon right now. I certainly hope NBC doesn't give up on the show but the truth of the matter is we need more viewers and GST must think of a way to lure them. What that could be is yet to be seen...
There is only one problem with this. The shows have been filmed and whatever needs to be done to get viewers needs to be shown in the upcoming two episodes. They are the only ones left. Unfortunately, GST has finished both episodes and he now has no control over what they do on the air.

What really peeves me the most though is that he is trying, but isn't being fairly rewarded with some help from NBC. "We're doing a reboot" was told to people online. How many people who didn't tune in much know about it? That's right, not many. Why? No advertising, no TV spots at all... nothing. NBC has done nothing to help him out. I've hated NBC for a long time now. They have canceled shows I liked, the main one being The Black Donnellys. It's almost safe to say that I don't watch NBC save for Knight Rider. Knight Rider would stand a better chance on another network that was willing to advertise in the least bit. I watch CBS mostly. They advertise shows, they stand by their product and that's why they are killing in the ratings against NBC. The largest commercials I ever saw for Knight Rider after the third episode were 5 second spots saying, "Knight Rider, Wednesdays on NBC" with Justin standing beside KITT. That my friends will not attract viewers.

If NBC sticks with it and renews it to give it another chance, maybe some of the things I think about them could just disappear. If they cancel while pulling the no advertising crap since almost day one, then I can safely say that unless something comes on that network that really catches my interest, I'm done with NBC. This is why NBC is in deep trouble.

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:15 am

Don't forget - everything that we're amazed by, all the stuff we see, it's all an illusion. There are many different ways to create a television illusion, and CGI is one of them. If it was feasible, I imagine that the producers would use live ammo with an actual self-healing car that actually transforms and drives itself....but we don't have that. That said, I do agree that there aren't enough exciting driving scenes in the show.
Well....think about it.

Of course, you've got the costs of closing a road, or building a set/scene, you've got the stunt coordinators and the people to pay....hazard teams on hand...multiple camera crews, the possibility of multiple takes, and car maintenance and repair (if it survives). Time is also an issue.

This doesn't sound so bad - it might be cheaper to stick on a fake bumper, right? And jump the car, etc etc.

But think of doing this....over, and over, and over, and over again. And over again.

It's the recurring costs that would break the show, not the one-time cost. CGI may be cheaper for a one-time run, but it's definitely cheaper over multiple episodes. Why? The effects guys only have to create one 3D model of KI3T (not that I'm trivializing this, Masterkey guys!) and the corresponding animations to use in multiple scenes. This is a daunting task, but once they've done it, they can reuse it...and reuse it...and reuse it. Since the car is a fairly static object (aside from the transformations, only the wheels move....and they spin continually) it can be composited into multiple shots with less time than it would take to set up a live stunt for each scene we see.

When you add it up in a recurring scenario, the savings immediately become apparent. Also, considering the fact that filiming a full turbo-boost stunt would probably wreck a Mustang, it's probably easier to take one 3D model than run through multiple stunt cars.
You've got some really good points there! I wasn't really thinking about the road setup or any of the surroundings for that matter. All I was thinking about was really the car and all the small modifications that goes with it.
There is only one problem with this. The shows have been filmed and whatever needs to be done to get viewers needs to be shown in the upcoming two episodes. They are the only ones left. Unfortunately, GST has finished both episodes and he now has no control over what they do on the air.

What really peeves me the most though is that he is trying, but isn't being fairly rewarded with some help from NBC. "We're doing a reboot" was told to people online. How many people who didn't tune in much know about it? That's right, not many. Why? No advertising, no TV spots at all... nothing. NBC has done nothing to help him out. I've hated NBC for a long time now. They have canceled shows I liked, the main one being The Black Donnellys. It's almost safe to say that I don't watch NBC save for Knight Rider. Knight Rider would stand a better chance on another network that was willing to advertise in the least bit. I watch CBS mostly. They advertise shows, they stand by their product and that's why they are killing in the ratings against NBC. The largest commercials I ever saw for Knight Rider after the third episode were 5 second spots saying, "Knight Rider, Wednesdays on NBC" with Justin standing beside KITT. That my friends will not attract viewers.

If NBC sticks with it and renews it to give it another chance, maybe some of the things I think about them could just disappear. If they cancel while pulling the no advertising crap since almost day one, then I can safely say that unless something comes on that network that really catches my interest, I'm done with NBC. This is why NBC is in deep trouble.
I think the problem is that NBC has got many other TV shows on their schedule that's doing so much better than Knight Rider. Therefore it's like an acceptable loss for the network.