KITT's guns

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Faithful Car KRO
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: KITT's guns

Post by Faithful Car KRO » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:34 am

I would like to comment on Mike's gun use.
Ever since episode 12, I'm pretty sure that Mike is using the non-lethal guns and weapons that Graiman had that room. Which means he's still keeping things in the context of perserving human life.

And, to the topic at hand, I loved the shooting scene. It. Was. Awesome!
"Michael, I agree with your earlier assessment, back-up plans suck."- KI3T
Put the word out!
WATCH THE SHOW!!!: Wed at 8:00pm on NBC.
Its getting better and gaining ratings, AWESOME!!

KnightINSTINCT
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightINSTINCT » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:35 am

You could be right or you could be hoping.

Mike does justice the fair way. If the bad guys threaten lives, they should be put down. One can just assume from what they keep open, (and that is what I like). Example: just like anything KNIGHT RIDER, the Occupant Restraint System is assumed by every viewer that this is KITT's own version of the seat belt that works.

calhoun24
Recruit

Post by calhoun24 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:15 pm

For the record, I'm OK with the guns. And you can see on the HUD that he was not trying to kill the guy or Michael.

Just as long as KITT consciously does not violate his directive of the preservation of human life in general and Michael's in particular, I'm fine with the use of weapons.
"One man can make a difference." - Wilton Knight
Long live Wilton's dream and F.L.A.G.!

gromia77
Rookie

Post by gromia77 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:30 am

I wonder, what would Kitt's reaction be if he accidentally did kill someone? I'm disregarding Knight Fever since it was the virus that made him act like he did.
Zoe: Burn rubber Kitt!
Kitt: Burning rubber.

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:05 pm

Kitts BFG's, now thats some serious firepower! 8)

You gotta love it, Kitt went crazy *channels ED209 "you have 20 seconds to comply.........you now have 10 seconds to comply....9 8 7 6 5.......* :mrgreen:

cdoyle
Volunteer

Post by cdoyle » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:55 pm

My only problem with the guns is I thought it looked dumb. He's firing hundreds and hundreds of rounds into the truck and not one bullet went through? That didn't even make sense.

I didn't like how they popped up out of the hood either, where is he keeping all these things when he's not using them? It's becoming where he has a 'tool' for every occasion now, and makes it to convenient for them to win whatever it is they are doing.

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:16 am

NeoRanger wrote:Now, hypocritical as that may sound, burning an outline on the seat around the bad guy's head with the laser, I probably would've minded less.
Yeah that doesn't really make much sense. But if lasers ever come into common use it would no longer be okay to do that?
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:30 am

^^ Pretty much.

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:44 am

So violence is okay as long as the means by which is carried out doesn't exist yet? (not that lasers don't exist)

On topic, it may have been a bit inconsistent with the KR idea of KITT and all. But they DID make it pretty clear that KITT was actively not shooting him. First you see the targeting reticule distinctly to the left of the guy, and of course the bullet holes framing the criminal completely. Whether its a good idea for KITT to have guns at all is a different issue, here I think they did make sufficient effort to display that KITT was merely trying to scare the crap out of the guy.

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:00 am

So violence is okay as long as the means by which is carried out doesn't exist yet? (not that lasers don't exist)
It's a matter of relevance. Lasers are still classified under "sci-fi/fantasy violence". If I go out, I can find a gun, with actual bullets and then I can demonstrate it on someone's brains. It's unlikely I'll stumble across a laser gun to fry someone's eye-holes.

I happen not to like the idea of gun-possession. I like it even less when a single guy is is in possession of a super-smart car that packs a couple of machine guns to use at its discretion. Machine guns are relevant to real life and thus it bugs me.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:36 am

Mike having a hand gun really gets to me since the original MK never used a gun on his missions.

KITT having a useful weapon for every occasion is fine by me as in TOS, KITT was always upgraded with something by Bonnie or April to suit the mission.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

R.I.T.T.
Recruit

Post by R.I.T.T. » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:49 am

Skav wrote:Mike having a hand gun really gets to me since the original MK never used a gun on his missions.
But he did. On several missions. I even believe they show it in one of the intro's. Granted, he did not bring his own gun but had no problem using a gun if the need arises.

And while Mike uses guns a lot more frequently than his dad probably has to do that the bad guys now more often then not are pointing those things back at him.
Hello, I am Rush Industries Three Thousand, R.I.T.T. for easy reference, or Ritt if you prefer.

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:37 am

To be fair, its not exactly easy to get your hands on a gatling gun either.

And RITT's right, on the inside cover of KR season 1 Michael is holding a submachine gun. And in the pilot episode he fires a gun at either Tanya or a guard, can't remember, a scene which played in the credits during all of the first season. And I can think of 3 other episodes off the top of my head i which he uses a gun, in one of those I definitely remember that he fires it. (Inside Out I believe, an Uzi)

Mike DOES use them a lot more, but I guess modern enemies are simply less inclined to have a fist-fight with you :-P Even so, hes never shot anyone who's been at his mercy. He only beat people with that shotgun in Fight Night. They've never expressly stated whether his personal gun is lethal or nonlethal. I would mainly guess nonlethal if only because he no longer works for the government, and that would raise a lot more issues of a civilian shooting all kinds of people.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:38 am

cloudkitt wrote:To be fair, its not exactly easy to get your hands on a gatling gun either.

And RITT's right, on the inside cover of KR season 1 Michael is holding a submachine gun. And in the pilot episode he fires a gun at either Tanya or a guard, can't remember, a scene which played in the credits during all of the first season. And I can think of 3 other episodes off the top of my head i which he uses a gun, in one of those I definitely remember that he fires it. (Inside Out I believe, an Uzi)

Mike DOES use them a lot more, but I guess modern enemies are simply less inclined to have a fist-fight with you :-P Even so, hes never shot anyone who's been at his mercy. He only beat people with that shotgun in Fight Night. They've never expressly stated whether his personal gun is lethal or nonlethal. I would mainly guess nonlethal if only because he no longer works for the government, and that would raise a lot more issues of a civilian shooting all kinds of people.

Michael using a gun in the Pilot is fine though as it was a personal mission for him, getting revenge for his death. And he was shooting at a guard but the guard shot first. Michael second.

In Inside Out he used the gun right at the end for all of 5 seconds to shoot out some rounds to threaten the bad guys not to move.

And then there was Short Notice right at the end where he used the gun to make the bad guy surrender, he didn't fire the gun.

I recall no other episode after season 1 of TOS where Michael used a gun. So 3 episodes, and about 5 minutes worth of guns in total.

In the new show, Mike shoots to kill, often without hesitation and uses it throughout most episodes, whether to shoot or to use it as a back up device.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:24 am

I believe he holds one in the hovercraft one in season 4. I think, in the parking lot with a bunch of bad guys. KITT rounds up one or two and Michael gets the other two with an smg, he doesn't fire though. Feel free to correct me on the episode.

And how do you know Mike's shooting to kill? We're supposed to assume he's super-good, he could just be shooting to incapacitate. We don't even know if he's using normal bullets (it sure as hell looks like he is, but it would be easy for the show to explain away by saying he isn't).

gromia77
Rookie

Post by gromia77 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:35 am

Mike was using non-lethal ammo in "King's Pawn" when he went to get the car out of Area 51. Remember when he specifically asked Billy for non-lethal options? He used a tazer, rubber bullets and I believe there were a few flash grenades in the mix as well.

:kitt2:
Zoe: Burn rubber Kitt!
Kitt: Burning rubber.