KI3T 1/18 Scanner Shelby GT500KR

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Garthe Knight
FLAG Recruit

Re: KI3T 1/18 Scanner Shelby GT500KR

Post by Garthe Knight » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:50 pm

Oh, in my case, since I live in Germany, too, I would be very interested to know, where you bought the circuit and what exact modifications you did :wink:

And noone is pissed of, or at least I am not. I know what great effort it takes to figure out how to get your scanner right, and I totally understand that you have a lot of other things to do instead of writing a full featured book with images on how to get your scanner right.
I'm just saying, you would help me if you share your information. :good: If not, I'll figure it out myself. No offense intended.

GT500KR08
Volunteer
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by GT500KR08 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:10 pm

I'm sorry everybody. I didn't mean to cause a problem or stir up emotions on my first post. The work you've done on your car is incredible and thank you for your report and every thing you shared with the community.
Last edited by Matthew on Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: To correct the overuse of capital letters.

GarthKnight08
FLAG Recruit

Post by GarthKnight08 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:20 pm

GT500KR08 wrote:Go to http://www.blankplates.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; that should help. Or just Google it and look in Google images. Save the image on your computer and work with it there. Doesn’t it piss you off that all these guys come on this site bragging about there custom work and won’t share or help us out? That’s BS. Help the community. Thanks sorry I bitched so much.
Hey man its cool & thanks for the help, i can make anything i really want in photoshop but i just thought it would save time & help other guys out. If he doesnt want to share the images then thats fine ill have to do it then. His plates are not accurate & i was going to fix that for him. But like i said ill make them & then share with you guys to print for your 1/18.
Founder of OKA (Original KITT Anonymous)
If you need to get out feelings of loss for the Original KITT then we can help!

HOFFABE
Rookie

Post by HOFFABE » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:42 pm

thunder87 wrote:
imranbecks wrote:Hmmm... I don't think I want to take the risk of removing "SHELBY" on the front and especially the rear.. Will probably just leave it on the model once I receive it. Got word from the seller that it has been shipped! Though I will definitely put a red strip or something to simulate the scanner up front... Its still a great looking car without the KI3T mods..
hey, I tried removing the "SHELBY" letters and I failed :x so I have to do some corrections now:

regarding to the report I told you, I feel sorry to disappoint you. I didn't have enough time to work on it but I'm going to do that next week. But I'm going to show you some pics:

Florian :mrgreen:

what did you use to try to take those off???? And the 2000 grit sandpaper will work but you risk scratching those stripes. I have worked in autobody repair for years and the lil trick is reducer on a cotton cloth. It is much quicker and the less time you spend getting them off the the better. plus with the 2000 you will still have to polish out the light scratches while doing that you will rub the stripes off. Go reducer trust me. quick and painless...you don't want to have to fix one of these or spend another 30 bucks for one...ya know..just my 2cents :spmgo:

HOFFABE
Rookie

Post by HOFFABE » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:56 pm

lil up close pic

GarthKnight08
FLAG Recruit

Post by GarthKnight08 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:09 pm

Hey HOFF when you say reducer you mean rubbing compound right?

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:33 am

Woo hoo! I received the model earlier today! I tell you what, the photos of the car don't do justice.. The model looks really superb in the flesh! And I have just modified it with the "red scanner" up front..... Don't think I want to risk taking the words "SHELBY" off though... The car still looks great! And its definitely the new KITT!!!!

andy-kitt
FLAG Assistant

Post by andy-kitt » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:27 pm

imranbecks wrote:Woo hoo! I received the model earlier today! I tell you what, the photos of the car don't do justice.. The model looks really superb in the flesh! And I have just modified it with the "red scanner" up front..... Don't think I want to risk taking the words "SHELBY" off though... The car still looks great! And its definitely the new KITT!!!!

Removing the SHELBY is easy, simply gently apply T-cut to the lettering and it comes off without damaging the paintwork. You can then touch up the rear stripes using Matt black paint.

Thunder, you are doing a great job and as a fellow modeler who spends many hours trying different things to make your model work I can understand that you can't share everything with us. It anoys me that people demand how things are done without trying things themselves as they may discover a completely different and better way of doing things. To these people why not show us what you have done on another post and show us what you are doing and where you are stuck and we will do our best to help.

Regarding the Shelby snake badges I had a go at mine today as people say they come of easily. The grille badge, yes that comes off easily and can be trimmed with a hobby knife and stuck back on. The wing/fender badges are fully stuck on and if you remove it, it leaves glue marks which need painting over in black gloss. What I did was score the side areas I wanted to remove, then using cloth to protect the paint slide a hoby knife underneath the sections I wanted to remove to lift it free and then break it off. The badge was so well stuck on my models that the snake still stayed in place.

thunder87
Recruit

Post by thunder87 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:17 pm

andy-kitt wrote:
imranbecks wrote: Thunder, you are doing a great job and as a fellow modeler who spends many hours trying different things to make your model work I can understand that you can't share everything with us. It anoys me that people demand how things are done without trying things themselves as they may discover a completely different and better way of doing things. To these people why not show us what you have done on another post and show us what you are doing and where you are stuck and we will do our best to help.
thanks dude
:kitt:

to the letter removing:
I tried to remove the letters without any help (which I really needed) and now i can do some repaint because of the damage - that really suckz because i'm unable to paint anything :cry: (two left hands)
My KR500 KI3T project
http://www.youtube.com/user/thund3rZX" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6_azyTpj8g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; KI3T 1:18 mod video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6vAIEGUq70" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; KI3T 1:18 mod video

GarthKnight08
FLAG Recruit

Post by GarthKnight08 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:53 pm

andy-kitt wrote:
imranbecks wrote:Woo hoo! I received the model earlier today! I tell you what, the photos of the car don't do justice.. The model looks really superb in the flesh! And I have just modified it with the "red scanner" up front..... Don't think I want to risk taking the words "SHELBY" off though... The car still looks great! And its definitely the new KITT!!!!

Removing the SHELBY is easy, simply gently apply T-cut to the lettering and it comes off without damaging the paintwork. You can then touch up the rear stripes using Matt black paint.

Thunder, you are doing a great job and as a fellow modeler who spends many hours trying different things to make your model work I can understand that you can't share everything with us. It anoys me that people demand how things are done without trying things themselves as they may discover a completely different and better way of doing things. To these people why not show us what you have done on another post and show us what you are doing and where you are stuck and we will do our best to help.

Regarding the Shelby snake badges I had a go at mine today as people say they come of easily. The grille badge, yes that comes off easily and can be trimmed with a hobby knife and stuck back on. The wing/fender badges are fully stuck on and if you remove it, it leaves glue marks which need painting over in black gloss. What I did was score the side areas I wanted to remove, then using cloth to protect the paint slide a hoby knife underneath the sections I wanted to remove to lift it free and then break it off. The badge was so well stuck on my models that the snake still stayed in place.
For those that dont know what T-cut is its basiclly rubbing compound, 3M makes very good rubbing compound & if you know someone that works in a body shop or that details cars you can ask them for the little bit that you need because its exspensive & no body or detail shop can do without it. It will take the SHELBY letters off clean on the front & back with no problems.

I for one dont get annoyed by people asking for help on how to do things & find it kinda offesive that people do get annoyed by posting some great things then when someone nicely asks how it was done say sorry i cant help you. Ive been on both sides of it but really its just boils down to ego problems & being a jerk. Any type of model/prop hobby communitys flourish from people helping each other with ideas, if we didnt all kinds of cool stuff wouldnt be here. But there are those few who horde everything they do & steal ideas for profit & no other reason, those are the people who really annoy me! They annoy in the fact that they bought something for $30 then mod it real quick & sell it for $300 to some poor guy who has no clue he could have done this so easily if he just found a helpful thread!

GT500KR08
Volunteer

Post by GT500KR08 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:07 pm

RIGHT ON BROTHER. :good:

thunder87
Recruit

Post by thunder87 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:56 pm

GarthKnight08 wrote: They annoy in the fact that they bought something for $30 then mod it real quick & sell it for $300 to some poor guy who has no clue he could have done this so easily if he just found a helpful thread!
That happens in most cases on eBay, so if you bid that high, it's your fault ... (or the work is it worth) - nothing is for free ;)

But I don't think that you know how much work it was to modify the car. I invested loads of time and nerves and money and that annoys me, when I invest all those things and get something like "doesn't share, egoism, jerk, ..." to read!

so be satisfied that there's someone like me (and of course other people here too) who invest(s) time for YOU and writes a @&^#' report for YOU to share the work with YOU. And I really get pissed, when this isn't enough yet - that is NOT fair. I also have to say that I liked writing a report to help you BUT i can't tell you everything because that would cost too much time!

bye :good:
My KR500 KI3T project
http://www.youtube.com/user/thund3rZX" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6_azyTpj8g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; KI3T 1:18 mod video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6vAIEGUq70" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; KI3T 1:18 mod video

GT500KR08
Volunteer

Post by GT500KR08 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:14 pm

Do you want some kleenex ? :lol:

thunder87
Recruit

Post by thunder87 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:21 pm

GT500KR08 wrote:Do you want some kleenex ? :lol:
oh my god, you found your CAPSlock key :D

congrats :good:
My KR500 KI3T project

GT500KR08
Volunteer

Post by GT500KR08 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:29 pm

Yes i did thought you would get a kick out of that. Hey good job on you're car that looks awesome.and thanks again for the report. :good:
thunder87 wrote:
GT500KR08 wrote:Do you want some kleenex ? :lol:
oh my god, you found your CAPSlock key :D

congrats :good:

GarthKnight08
FLAG Recruit

Post by GarthKnight08 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:03 am

thunder87 wrote:
GarthKnight08 wrote: They annoy in the fact that they bought something for $30 then mod it real quick & sell it for $300 to some poor guy who has no clue he could have done this so easily if he just found a helpful thread!
That happens in most cases on eBay, so if you bid that high, it's your fault ... (or the work is it worth) - nothing is for free ;)

But I don't think that you know how much work it was to modify the car. I invested loads of time and nerves and money and that annoys me, when I invest all those things and get something like "doesn't share, egoism, jerk, ..." to read!

so be satisfied that there's someone like me (and of course other people here too) who invest(s) time for YOU and writes a @&^#' report for YOU to share the work with YOU. And I really get pissed, when this isn't enough yet - that is NOT fair. I also have to say that I liked writing a report to help you BUT i can't tell you everything because that would cost too much time!

bye :good:
First off i wasnt attacking you in anyway so dont be so defensive & second you keep throwing around words like "YOU & SOMEONE LIKE YOU"! I know how much work goes into to modding & ive been into modding & much bigger & complex prop making for years so dont YOU dare come off like im some fool that doesnt know what im talking about! Ive never asked YOU for a damn thing but just to simply post a silly license plate image because ive seen people asking about it for their 1/18 & if thats too much then as ive said thats fine. Myself personally could care less about YOUR report & what you have done to YOUR 1/18 because its just silly & YOU wont get anywhere around here with a bad attitude like that!

Thats all im going to say on this matter so lets get back to topic.

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:23 am

Guys c'mon! Lets not argue in the thread.. Bring it over via private messages between yourselves if you must continue. Stay in topic and I hope I'm not the only one here when I say that I don't like arguing/bantering between us Knight Rider fans.. Lets get back to topic..

I've not seen any photos of the 1/18 KI3T with the 1/18 Trans Am KITT, so here are some shots I took of mine.... :D

Its a fine looking car...

thunder87
Recruit

Post by thunder87 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:02 am

nice pics :)

just did one too

My KR500 KI3T project

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:08 am

Damn... I wished my scanner lights up too :(

HOFFABE
Rookie

Post by HOFFABE » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:16 am

GarthKnight08 wrote:Hey HOFF when you say reducer you mean rubbing compound right?

No regular reducer such as you would mix in with paint to reduce the thickness. Even nail polish remover would work to take it off...its not an issue of buffing it off. just need a paint type remover to get it off. The clear on the cars finish is much thicker than what is on the emblems so it will pull them off real quick with no buffing.

andy-kitt
FLAG Assistant

Post by andy-kitt » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:50 am

thunder87 wrote:nice pics :)

just did one too

Have you modified the ERTL KITT scanner as it looks like several LEDs are lit at once?

thunder87
Recruit

Post by thunder87 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:04 am

hehe, no i didn't - but i'm going to modify the ERTL scanner too ...

it looks like they all lit, because of the shutter speed of the camera :wink:
My KR500 KI3T project

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:56 am

I took a chance and managed to remove SHELBY from the front!!! It was actually easy! I simply used a model paint remover... Works like a charm!

Thank you Mr Paint Remover!

But as mentioned here before, the rear SHELBY word is tricky to remove as the letters "H", "E", "L" and "B" are overlapping the matte racing stripes. I don't want to damage the stripes. But it is probably possible if done carefully with a paint remover. Other methods might do more damage. But for now, I don't think I want to give it a try..

Anyway, I recommend paint remover to remove the SHELBY word be it in front or the rear. Its very easy and I'm not even into model making. I got it done really quick and no damage was done to the glossy black paint finish of the car. Its as though the word was never there. :D

andy-kitt
FLAG Assistant

Post by andy-kitt » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:37 am

If you try and remove the rear, the matt black stripes will come off aswell, but little tin of Humbrol Matt Black paint and it will look as good as new.

thunder87
Recruit

Post by thunder87 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:58 am

GarthKnight08 wrote: Hey man its cool & thanks for the help, i can make anything i really want in photoshop but i just thought it would save time & help other guys out. If he doesnt want to share the images then thats fine ill have to do it then. His plates are not accurate & i was going to fix that for him. But like i said ill make them & then share with you guys to print for your 1/18.
i don't know, why the plates aren't accurate but it's ok (maybe the California font isn't the same, but it doesn't matter when it's printed that small)

Colorado

California

if you want to print them, just scale them down in the print preview ;)
My KR500 KI3T project