Why the series KR08 has disappointed me...

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Garthe Knight
FLAG Recruit

Why the series KR08 has disappointed me...

Post by Garthe Knight » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:13 pm

Ok, to clarify this, I am a big fan of Knight Rider, this is not supposed to be bashing KR.

But now it's nearly one year after the pilot aired, so I thought it was time to take a look back.
Yesterday I was going through some of the screenshots and promoshots of the pilot, and I remembered I had so high hopes for the series:

So this is what I expected from the series after the "problems" the pilot had:

A man and his car fighting for the helpless.

Supported by his friends who revive FLAG:

No attack mode or at least a less "over-tuned" KITT

At least this was what I was expecting from the series, or what I wanted the series to be. The reality looks quite different, and although the episodes had their moments it is far from what I had expected.

Instead of one man and his car, there were so many people writers didn't even know what to do with them.

The SSC didn't have the charme of the FLAG mansion and feels cold, crowded and not like home.
Instead of helping people it's all about terror, weapons and secrecy.

And KITT's attack mode was still there, only now it was more extreme, more bulky and more ugly.

And the worst part, now KITT transforms into so many other vehicles, you can't really identify with him:

Yeah, so why did I post all the screenshots here? Because they show the difference very well, and looking at them shows exactly where the show went into the wrong direction.
Now they try to fix it, but in my opinion they are not really consistent enough. Stop the transforming, and shut down the SSC for good. Make the show even more believable. The current episodes are good, but for season 2 they have to do more to win back viewers.
The pilot had 12mio viewers, with the right formula a KR series could get near that.
Just reduce the moments where the viewer sits in front of the TV, shaking his head in disbelief and thinking "why!?".

I know, it's not the 80s and this is a new show, but this doesn't mean you have to do everything different. We wouldn't be fans if the original show was that bad, or would we?

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Re: Why the series KR08 has disappointed me...

Post by PunkMaister » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:28 pm

I have no problem whatsoever with the transformations as long as they do not overdo it and in the last few eps they have done just that, I have no problem with the SSC since it is owned by FLAG now anyhow so what is the big deal?

The last 2 episodes specifically have been about Mike and KITT on the road helping the helpless very much going back to it's TOS roots. At this point I think you are complaining over water past the windmill especially given the photos you posted of the earlier episodes.

My_Friend_KITT
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by My_Friend_KITT » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:37 pm

Hello,

I have personally enjoyed my KR as a whole since last Feb.'s pilot right through until last night...

To say that there is tooo many people for the whole show was a bit of a falicy to me. I found that they had more room for character developement - if they wrote it right-. It may have had a Star Trek feel with the bridge but I like ST...The changes they have made since New Years Eve have made the show even better for me but I enjoyed any way they set it...

To talk about the transforming, I have never really been into Transformers and have never even seen the recent blockbuster movie nor am I really interested in seeing it....However that doesn't meen that I HATE KITT's transformations...Weird thing is, I actually enjoyed trying to figure out what he would change into...Okay, me being weird...I do believe in Truck Mode, Attack Mode, and Normal Mode (Which BTW- they should call Cruise Mode-the word Normal just doesn't send me in thinking of KITT)...As per the rest, they were fun for a 1 or 2 time experience. I agree with many...I liked the color changing idea...I still haven't forgot what Micheal Tracer said in the pilot when KITT went to the color Purple...*giggle*

Anyway, I guess that there's not much that will make me go against the new KR and I am happy to get to watch it. The most recent episodes have made me even more of a fan....
I truly hope to get to see a Second Season and I will be there if they do show a Second Season...Like the cartoon, Speed Racer....Go KR...Go!!!!!!!!
That is a computer not a sofa.......Knight of the Drones

A firsthand viewer of Knight Rider '08!
And I LOVED it!

lunchmeat
FLAG Recruit

Post by lunchmeat » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:04 pm

Garthe:

You've actually raised some good points here in a clear, concise fashion; you've stated your point of view very well and I actually understand where you're coming from. Looking at the pictures you provided, and the way you phrased your words, there really is a difference between what you wanted and what we're seeing. I also appreciate the fact that you specified that a change should come in Season 2, instead of lamenting what's already been done.

I understand your commentary on the number of people in the show - they've addressed that, and I think that they might have been planning on it all along. Four people isn't a bad number, especially since we'll be seeing a lot of Mike and KI3T doing what we want to see - helping the helpless.

I can't quite agree on the SSC - yeah, it's big, and it's not the mansion, but I think it works. The backstory that the place was leased from FLAG by the government seems feasible, as it seems more like a lab where something like KI3T would have been created. If anything, thinking about it now....it reminds me more of the location where we first saw the original KI2T - in that warehouse-type thing. I would like to see it become a little more home-y, though, and the couch was a good indication that we'll see a little more of that. I personally like the fact that the team has taken something and will make it a home, even if it's not a luxury mansion - it's a little like the Ninja Turtles, where they made a huge sewer their home, and decked it out with cozy furniture and stuff. I always thought that that was pretty cool. I think that in time, the charm and warmth will come.

Note that that's just my opinion - not right or wrong - I'm very interested in discussion on the matter.

As for the transformations...I don't mind them but I do see and agree with your point about viewers not identifying with KI3T. I've thought that myself a couple of times, and that's the innate problem with something that transforms into multiple shapes. (Except in one of the Transformers cartoons, where Megatron had like 6 transformations...) The KI3T identity is a real problem and the scanner doesn't really always establish the "Kitt"ness of the various forms he's taken. Viewers do need to be able to tune into the show, see a vehicle, and say "Hey! That's Kitt", instead of seeing a vehicle and not making the instant connection. On this, I do agree. That's one thing that TOS had down really well - you saw the black Trans Am, with the red scanner, and it was instant recognition, all the time. You could pick him out of any shot he was in. In this new series, you've got to look for the scanner (which isn't always in the same place, which makes it worse because it's not as strong a defining feature)....and even though KI3T is recognizable in his various forms, perhaps they do need to ditch the separate vehicle transformations for the sake of instant recognition. I personally wouldn't recognize the Crown Vic if I didn't see the scanner.

Good thread, some good points that you've brought up here.
If I am destroyed... ...so shall you be. -KARR

GT500KR
FLAG Recruit

Post by GT500KR » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:46 pm

Got over the Transformations........He transformed into a Police Car, Van, Ford Flex, and "Submarine"............
ONE TIME!!!

The truck is practically in some of the episodes, especially last night and the episode that he had the Grille Guard and roll bar on.
"My wife asks me, why you do those burnouts? Well.....you do it for the kids, you know, Im not being immature. You just.....well you do it for the kids."
~Jay Leno

djshag69
Operative

Post by djshag69 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:23 pm

I am a huge fan of the show too, but am I the only one that has noticed that when the entire episode is incredible, the ending never lives up? I dunno i can't remember one show where they actually needed Kitt to finish off the "Bad Guy" A car chase something, everytime the plot comes close to an end its just fizzles out.
Ice rider coming 2009

DevonStyles
FLAG Recruit

Post by DevonStyles » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:04 pm

i can't remember one show where they actually needed Kitt to finish off the "Bad Guy" A car chase something, everytime the plot comes close to an end its just fizzles out.
I agree totally..... With fight knight I was totally thinking we would have seen the cop chasing micahel and Kitt... but nothing at all. At least with the original series every episode had at least 1 good car chase, a little turbo boost and whatever else.

We have seen no credible chase scenes. I mean the show is improving, but we really need some chase scenes.
edited by the good folks at knightrideronline

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:01 pm

The thing that bothers me the most, is the same as DevonStyles,and djshag69.It just fizzles out, or in my opinion,it's rushed, like with Exit Light,Enter Knight.
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:53 pm

Andron would have done a better job with the loner concept. GST didn't figure it out until much later.

kwsta25
Rookie

Post by kwsta25 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:10 pm

I STRONGLY AGREE

This show has so much potentiol, The pilot was perfect minus missing some action. I dont understand why they made kitt transform into a cop car van f-150 and so on. I have watched this show with many people and all have the same reaction to those tranfrmations. They laugh at it. I believe thats what droped the ratings i mean look at the priemere ratings high 7,s And then ppl gave up. The nano tech is awsome, why couldint they keep it simple have kitt transform colors show the nano working as it changes. maybe lights transform a litle bit make it believable. I LOVE THIS SHOW STORY SARAH DR GRAIMAN EVRYTHING BUT THEY GOOFED IT. aTACK MOOD IS JUST WRONG. Whats the kr letters under the car, in the pilot it was perfect even the dark rims. I dont care what you guys think,i want this show to make it more then anyone. but when ppl see kitt transform into a VAN SUB N SO ON there turned off. If it gets canceled, it angers me cuz it could of been huuuge i know it. I have asked many ppl once they saw kitt turn into a van cop car especialy sub and were turned way off. AND THE INTERIOR THE PILOT WAS 100 TIMES BETTER STEERING WHEEL SCREEN ALL IT WAS MISSING WAS THE WINDSHIELD. i duno you guys they had a great show coming and its still good but goofed it. im not bashing its the truth. I love knight rider classic and new. but its only true

kwsta25
Rookie

Post by kwsta25 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:37 pm

KITT CANNOT BE TRANFORMING INTO TRUCKS FORD FLEX A VAAAAAAAAAAN LOL, come on you guys, even i tried to believe it noooooo thats no normal you guys. if ford wants to promote have other cast members drive the f-150 like billy, have a bad guy driving the flex, DONT TURN KITT INTO IT. i CANT BELIEVE SOME OF YOU ACTUALLY SAY IM OK WITH IT. I know we all have our opinions but thats just mine.

Harry Singh Jr.
Operative

Post by Harry Singh Jr. » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:11 pm

I enjoy the show. Just the transformations stuff ticks me off. The could have put an off road moad like in TOS. But none the less I'm glad it's on TV

maxwellmilian
Recruit

Post by maxwellmilian » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:38 pm

Honestly, I saw more to be disappointed in the writing than in the car. The idea of sending out one person with two hundred support personnel just doesn't wash with me. I'm glad that they eliminated the extra baggage of the government, and it's more true to form of the original. I don't mind the SSC, everybody needs a hole-in-the-wall place to be away from the world. I hope I can make my own little hidden abode someday, but probably not for crimefighting. (Some of us call them cabins, usually in the woods in the high country....) Transform a car into a pickup? If it is available with THAT kind of option, I'm marking that box, too. I'd love to have a car that would do that. I don't expect KITT to be towing a fifth wheel trailer though, that would be pushing it. The original KITT would be jealous of that trick, all he had was high traction drop downs and tire spikes, and not even at the same time. You have to figure, the 3000 has to be all wheel drive, even Lamborghinis are these days.
About the only thing I really couldn't deal with was the C130. I can't see doing a running loadup with one of those, and the Low Altitude Parachute Ejection manuver was outlawed, not sure of the FLAG method.
Its probably coming, but they now need a mobile command center. You can't run Attack Mode from Chitown to LA to fix the car. Trucks are cheap, and make sense. I'd want a slide out on both sides for a little extra space...

Some of these gripes are good, some are less than conservative. I'm sorry, Garthe. I want to let this new transforming car to grow a little more, but not see it as totally impossible fiction. I didn't like Star trek TNG when it first came out, but I gave it a chance, and kept my mind open. it was a tough pill to swallow, so I chewed on it awhile, and found it tasted pretty good. I want to see what happens next.

Give those of us who were cursed with unmeasurable creative mechanical ability the chance to do our thing with this newfangled-and-bangled machine, and see who is first to come up with our own transforming Mustang. I hope I'm the first, cuz I could make a fortune selling kit cars that can do just ONE type of transformation. Were dealing with nanotech here, not solid inflexible steel. The stuff will take any shape you want it to, just punch in the proper codekey...

They do need some car chases, and more of the walking down the street investigating that would take brainpower instead of computers. I think it will come in time. Maybe have Cameron Zachary get out of prison and try to steal KITT again... oops, now they won't use it...Damn!

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:18 am

Harry Singh Jr. wrote:I enjoy the show. Just the transformations stuff ticks me off. The could have put an off road moad like in TOS. But none the less I'm glad it's on TV
I agree with you totally :kitt:

knightprobe89
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightprobe89 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:24 am

same here, i like the show but the different vehicle transformations piss me off, its like a ford commercial, also i would like to see more stunts, i would like to see kitt get buried by a rock slide or something and turbo boost out of it similar to the original series, nbc could have done so much better with kr08 but they and ford just want to advertise their cars. they should have stuck to the pilot version of kr08 much better!!!
in glen larson we trust.

Solid Snake
FLAG Recruit

Post by Solid Snake » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:58 pm

And GM did not do the very same thing with the A-team and KR in the 80's? They advertised their cars just as much, it just was not so obvious because the American cars back then were are virtually identical looking and generic...

I like the series, but ofcourse there is room for improvement! More action, better stories! And more creative fan input that is being used! That should make for a cracking show!
Knight Rider, powered by Ford!

lunchmeat
FLAG Recruit

Post by lunchmeat » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:06 pm

maxwellmilian wrote:Its probably coming, but they now need a mobile command center. You can't run Attack Mode from Chitown to LA to fix the car. Trucks are cheap, and make sense. I'd want a slide out on both sides for a little extra space...
Y'know, they probably will end up doing something like this...but then, they'll need a new person to act as KI3T's field tech. (Actually...unless....they use the robots! That would actually be really interesting, wouldn't it? Katie and Lisa, as far as I know, are just sitting dormant at the SSC now. There'd still need to be a person, though, for storywriting's sake.) Billy or Zoey could possibly fit the part, but it might mess up the SSC balance. I don't think either of them would be a great character fit for a field tech, either.

Given KI3T's abilities, though, a mobile command center isn't integral as it was in TOS - I'd opened discussion on this in a previous thread. In TOS, KI2T needed routine maintenance and upgrades; in KR08 KI3T can repair himself and any "upgrades" would be in the form of software programs. In TOS, mission briefings would take place in the semi, or at the mansion; in KR08, video chat preempts that since it's quicker and much more efficient. In short, I think they could bring back the semi, but it wouldn't be more more than a holdover of the old series. I'm not sure if it would serve a palpable purpose.
They do need some car chases, and more of the walking down the street investigating that would take brainpower instead of computers. I think it will come in time. Maybe have Cameron Zachary get out of prison and try to steal KITT again... oops, now they won't use it...Damn!
Agreed. Car chases would really make the endings pop, and really open up KI3T's abilities as a supercar. I realize, thinking about it, that KI3T, right now, is more about the tech and everything. He's a good character and he's coming into his own, but it's too easy to forget that he's a car - we've seen his personality, his impressive computing, his awesome HUD, his hacking skills....and we've seen his specials, like Turbo Boost and Ski Mode, but we don't see him driving that much. It's easy to forget that he is, at heart, a really fast car who can chase or outrun criminals without the gimmicks.

I'd like to see Mike use more street-smarts, as he seems to be the only character who has a lot of that in reserve (due to his experiences). As you say, the "walking down the street" investigating will show this off nicely. To be fair, he's done quite a bit of this already, but KI3T has been providing a lot of the logical puzzle-solving. It'd be cool to see Mike infer things that KI3T might not, because he's human and has a lot of experience, as that would bring a mental factor to the team instead of physical (car and driver). But then, I've got to go back and rewatch the episodes to see if they haven't done this already.
If I am destroyed... ...so shall you be. -KARR