Ratings for "Fight Knight"

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

zero
Rookie

Re: Ratings for "Fight Knight"

Post by zero » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:45 pm

The whole ratings system is broken and behind the times. There's no point guessing how it works. In this day and age where almost everyone has a digital cable box, it's ridiculous that those boxes don't count views and only selected house holds stand for the rest of us. Also, these ratings don't include Canada, which is stupid because we get the show in Canada at the same time on NBC. They also don't factor in how many people TIVO the show. SCI FI shows tend to get lower ratings because the audiences they are attract are more likely to use newer technologies (TIVO, Bittorrent, Hulu!) than those who watch say... American Idol. This makes it nearly impossible for any SCI FI show to get decent ratings. (See: Firefly, Battlestar Galactica, etc)

It's also worth mentioning that while us hardcore fans may be complaining about the T&A and tone of the episodes, you have to expect that there is an audience for that. There's probably tons of people out there who don't like it when KITT doesn't transform and there's less action and more plot, and with the reboot there's less of that.

Really, it doesn't matter how good the show is to us. Look at Battlestar Galactica, critically acclaimed, and probably one of the best shows ever on TV. It was on the brink of cancellation most of it's life span for low ratings. So much so that they decided to end it earlier at the end of Season 4 instead of risking cancellation. There just isn't as big a market for SCI FI programming. And no, Lost doesn't count, although it might soon the way this season is going and the ratings are falling.

This is one of the great things about paid cable channels like HBO and Showtime. Ratings don't matter because they don't have advertising. Their budget comes from monthly subscriptions. As a result you get better shows because they can afford to take the risks and let the audience grow. For example: The Sopranos, OZ, etc etc.

The whole television business model is broken, including ratings, the advertising model, the networks, everything. Shows should not get canceled, they should get fixed, and better.

KITT
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by KITT » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:57 pm

it has happened before with other shows..

and don't be blaming obama for this! he's only been in office a little more then 2 weeks.
Lady: "I bet you're tall, dark, and handsome."
KITT: "I'm definitely dark and handsome, I'm only tall when I'm climbing a steep incline."
http://www.dhasselhoff.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

knightfever
Operative

Post by knightfever » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:11 pm

KITT wrote:it has happened before with other shows..

and don't be blaming obama for this! he's only been in office a little more then 2 weeks.
I think the reference for blaming Obama was because just as KR was coming up in the ratings, he bought their slot on Halloween and ratings have been struggling ever since, nothing to do with his presidency.

FordFilly82
Operative

Post by FordFilly82 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:44 pm

knightfever wrote:

I think the reference for blaming Obama was because just as KR was coming up in the ratings, he bought their slot on Halloween and ratings have been struggling ever since, nothing to do with his presidency.
Yeah, KITT, Knight Fever is right. it's the Obamamercial than has tanked KR if anything else. I mean I voted for the man, but knot b/c of the infomercial. That idea was sooo bad. But getting slightly off topic.....

any more news on the ratings? Have all votes been counted (lol)?
Efficient Morphing Mobile Autonomy
KITT: There are not enough hours in the day for me to list everything that confuses you.
Mike: Oh, snap!
Kitt: Yes, Micheal. Snap.

Petition #2507

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:59 am

I dont know what to say, really. all I hope is some hoe we can talk to those a%$ H#%$@ in NBC and ask one question. why? :kitt:

Tony P Knight Driver
Operative

Post by Tony P Knight Driver » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:48 am

In my mind 5 million viewers is a respectable number when gong up against shows like "American Idiot".

No one should count Knight Rider out just yet. The season is not over yet,the letter writing campaign, the petition, pressure from FORD, all should factor in to the final descision. Which we are assuming has already been made, but it hasn't.

I only wish the show started out with the last three epsiodes, but the damage is done. We should keep trying to convince NBC to re-up KR for one more season.

Never Give Up!! Never Surender!!

Maybe the idea of a KR NBC ralley isnt a bad idea. There has to be more things we can do to convince NBC.
Anyone thought about contacting ford? or maybe USA netwrok and start some intrest there?

With all the talent we have on this site, i find it hard to believe we can't come up with something new to show NBC we are here and we care!

Come on people think outside the box..what can we do???
Tony P.
The Knight Driver
Keep Knight Rider Rolling
One Person Can Make a Difference.
SUPPORT KNIGHT RIDER!
http://www.gopetition.com/online/23816.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by KITT » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:25 am

FordFilly82 wrote:
knightfever wrote:

Yeah, KITT, Knight Fever is right. it's the Obamamercial than has tanked KR if anything else. I mean I voted for the man, but knot b/c of the infomercial. That idea was sooo bad. But getting slightly off topic.....

any more news on the ratings? Have all votes been counted (lol)?
ah, yes. that was annoying. the two breaks really hurt the show. i mean it was having 7 million viewers before! now i read about them stepping on my birthday episode.. :evil:
Lady: "I bet you're tall, dark, and handsome."
KITT: "I'm definitely dark and handsome, I'm only tall when I'm climbing a steep incline."
http://www.dhasselhoff.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:47 am

DrWho2005 wrote:It's funny..as i was reading this thread the doors song " The End " came on the radio.
An ominous sign.

This is the end...
Even more creepy, Val Kilmer did a movie about that band as well... :shock:
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:31 am

Tony P Knight Driver wrote:In my mind 5 million viewers is a respectable number when gong up against shows like "American Idiot".

No one should count Knight Rider out just yet. The season is not over yet,the letter writing campaign, the petition, pressure from FORD, all should factor in to the final descision. Which we are assuming has already been made, but it hasn't.

I only wish the show started out with the last three epsiodes, but the damage is done. We should keep trying to convince NBC to re-up KR for one more season.

Never Give Up!! Never Surender!!

Maybe the idea of a KR NBC ralley isnt a bad idea. There has to be more things we can do to convince NBC.
Anyone thought about contacting ford? or maybe USA netwrok and start some intrest there?

With all the talent we have on this site, i find it hard to believe we can't come up with something new to show NBC we are here and we care!

Come on people think outside the box..what can we do???
you know, I just thought of this.
Remember the Super Bowl and How NBC didnt asvertise any thing about KR???

I think this is what happened.by not saying any thing about KR during the game, I think people got the idea that this show is running its final days and it will be off the air.So every one's reaction was: why keep watching something that is going to be off and even it's own network doest give it any advertisement time at all????

To be honest, If was in the US and I was watching the game and didnt see any thing during the game about KR, I will come out with this conclusion. :kitt:

bige
Rookie

Post by bige » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:30 am

NBC did not promote Knight Rider During the Super bowl since the first season is coming to an end, and they DO NOT WANT TO WASTE MONEY ON ADVERSTING. You know how the encomony is that is why NBC had to reduce the Season from 22 to 17 sine IT WAS A COST CUTTING MOVE. and with ONLY 3 EPISODE LEFT OF THE FIRST SEASON. Plus I also agree that the Obama Commerical did hurt Knight Rider.

Just use common senses,
1. NBC dose not want waste money since the season is about done and they will save that money for adversting for next season (if we get a 2nd season) and they have some money left over so they have the money to start filim the new season.
2. NBC reduced the season from 22 to 17 episodes, it was a cost cutting move, due to the bad ecomony

3, if they wasted money for advertisinig that last 3 episodes they would not have any money left to make new episodes or do advertising for next season

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

You know like every single day there is a company is lay-off people due to the economy

ronni3
Operative

Post by ronni3 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:52 am

bige my friend we all want to believe that....but look logically and realistically...whiuch season has been picked up by a major network with those ratings......we all will be ecstatic if we get a second season....but right now the prospects are bleak
"If I may attempt a colloquialism of my own, Thanks Brosef" K.I.T.T

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:47 am

I don't mean to be negative but I am all for being realistic, the letter writing, petition signing etc won't really have an effect because studios look at things from a business standpoint and they won't carry on the show because we beg them to. They need to make money from it. And if that's not happening then it will be cancelled. Profit needs to be made.

Personally, I didn't like this week's episode, thought it sucked, but to be honest, we have had VERY GOOD episodes (okay, so i'm still weed off about the rubbish karr battle but the majority of it was good) in the past few weeks and every tv show has the occassional dud episode and it just so happens this was one of them. That's not really negative, it just happens.

The run of good episodes was bound to end at some point.

KR has seemed to be consistent with it being 3rd place and I don't see what all the fuss is about. That's a really good place and I don't see why it should be cancelled when it's consistently been in the top 3 shows.

It will never get to no.1 because, well......it's Knight Rider.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Krandor
Volunteer

Post by Krandor » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:51 am

Showtime does not have a great record lately with sci-fi either. They used to when they started their sci-friday, but as they phased that out several shows got cancelled too early with Odyssey 5 being the worst once since they never got to finish the story.

GT500KR
FLAG Recruit

Post by GT500KR » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:10 am

Superbowl also didnt promote, Tuesday, Wednesday or Fridays shows either
"My wife asks me, why you do those burnouts? Well.....you do it for the kids, you know, Im not being immature. You just.....well you do it for the kids."
~Jay Leno

Bandit1
Operative

Post by Bandit1 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:00 pm

maybe they dont promote while they think people saying

"oh. its the end and it dont comes back.lets watch the last episodes bevore its to late"?

so they think more people watch it?

or they just save the money and give us a all new season 2 and right now its improved with what is left

i mean. built the SSC has cost some money. so they used it till the end and next season its gone

i hope you all understand what i mean :oops:

BTW my post about obama and the ratings was a joke :D

but when you look at the ratings its really like he said:"DONT WATCH KNIGHT RIDER" :mrgreen:
Sorry for bad laguage,i´m still learning english!

GREETINGS FROM GERMANY

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:25 pm

Skav wrote:I don't mean to be negative but I am all for being realistic, the letter writing, petition signing etc won't really have an effect because studios look at things from a business standpoint and they won't carry on the show because we beg them to. They need to make money from it. And if that's not happening then it will be cancelled. Profit needs to be made.
Perhaps things are a bit different today with the state of the economy, but letter-writing campaigns certainly have worked to save shows in the past. Take NBC's Quantum Leap, for example. The show was planned to be canned after the first season of which was a mid-season replacement itself. It was then about to be canceled in its third season but fans banded together to write a "keep the leap" campaign. NBC even made commercials saying they got bombarded with letters and said the show was even returning in its original timeslot. Fans tried again to save the show at the end of the fifth season, but the last attempt failed. There are other examples, but letters can make a difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIVxRAFBMbc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:39 pm

It disgusts me how many viewers American Idol gets...what a terrible show...
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:00 am

I'm surprised that no one mentioned that the post Superbowl episode of The Office did absolutely notihng for the show's ratings, it was actually DOWN from the week before.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

KittKattBar
Volunteer

Post by KittKattBar » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:27 pm

That really sucks. I just don't get people. They complain that they don't like the formula of the first half of the season. NBC changes it to what the people want and still no one watches.
My next car will be a 2010 Shelby Mustang!

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:31 pm

I know...but maybe more people do watch, it's just that the Neilson watchers aren't watching it because they like stuff like CSI, cop dramas, and reality TV.No wonder we have so much of those kinds of TV shows... :|

If you don't have a Neilson box, you're not accounted for when watching the show.I wish I had a Neilson box.
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:11 am

That really sucks. I just don't get people. They complain that they don't like the formula of the first half of the season. NBC changes it to what the people want and still no one watches.
Apart from killing off a few key characters and getting rid of the terrorist-theme they've done nothing! I don't know about you but there was nothing really exciting about last weeks episode. There was no turbo boost involved, no ski-mode nor any crashing into buildings. Hell, the car is so damn exensive they cannot afford to do any burnouts with it, they just keep driving around! Remember in TOS how Ki2t made burnouts everytime Mchael was about to drive away and through all intersections you could hear the tires squeel!

That thread with the reply from Deanna Russo explains how expensive and time consuming it is to create those CGI effects. Well, don't do it! The majority doesn't want it and that's why the raitings are fewer each week.
I don't know if any of you guys are watching 24 but I do and let me tell you it's one of the best TV shows on the air right now. It's their 7th season, 7th!!!

I'm sure someone's going to tell me to stop watching KR because of my rant and it wouldn't be the first time but truth of the matter is I need to share and discuss like any other member of this board. I can't discuss these matters with anyone else, it's only right here on KRO...
Michael: Kitt what matters to me is who you are not what you look like. Sure we don't have the car so we can't turbo boost so we can't go over 200 miles an hour but it was all icing on the cake anyway