Knight Industries Datsun 2000 ZX

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

EdwardKnoxII
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by EdwardKnoxII » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:56 pm

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/blog/20 ... n-2000-zx/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The cultural landmarks of our youth continue to be mined like blood diamonds. This time, it’s that shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man - who does not exist. Yes, Knight Rider is the latest 80s nostalgia to be unceremoniously harpooned and dragged aboard the H.M.S. Hollywood Remake.

Last week, news broke on Jalopnik that the star car playing the Knight Industries Two Thousand would be a Ford Mustang Shelby GT500KR. While this might ignite a self-aware pony car war that could see KITT going mano-a-mano with the autonomous Camaro Bumblebee from Transformers, what does any of this have to do with nostalgics, you might ask.

And we might answer, the original KITT was supposed to be a Datsun! According to the book Hollywood and TV Movie Cars by G. William Krause, “[Producer Harker Wade] said he was working with Glen Larson (The Fall Guy) on a new action- adventure show that starred a computerized talking car. A Datsun Z was written into the original script…”

Like, totally awesome! From the years 1982 to 1986, for one hour a week, you couldn’t pry us from the TV with a 6-foot crowbar as The Hoff and KITT turbo boosted their way into our hearts and minds. The Datsun 280ZX was the car to have in ‘81, and computers were finally getting small enough to fit on two or three desks put together, so a sentient AI living inside a dashboard wasn’t completely out of the question, was it?

If GM hadn’t been ready to debut a new Pontiac Firebird in 1982, this plan would have gone through, and we’re sure that in the resulting timeline of that alternate universe Datsuns would bring peace to the Middle East, solve global warming, and everyone would be able to afford a vintage Skyline. Imagine the uber-great story line potential when the digital-agey stylings of the 300ZX debuted in 1984. Then, for the present-day remake we could have a NISMO 350Z or GT-R. The possibilities are endless! Ah, what could have been…

Silver lining: 229 now-rare Dodge Chargers were used/destroyed during the run of Dukes of Hazzard, so at least a few Datsuns were spared from that.

FordFilly82
Operative

Re: Knight Industries Datsun 2000 ZX

Post by FordFilly82 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:47 pm

Interesting.
While I agree the Datsun would have made a good choice. Somehow I just don't see how Knight Rider would have lasted four seasons with a car that looked like...that (points above).
And to imagine watched sped up film of a Datsun as its simulated going 200+ just didn't mesh.
The TA is a much sexier vehicle, which brings in more people.
So good idea, but the TA was a GREAT idea.
Efficient Morphing Mobile Autonomy
KITT: There are not enough hours in the day for me to list everything that confuses you.
Mike: Oh, snap!
Kitt: Yes, Micheal. Snap.

Petition #2507

EdwardKnoxII
Operative

Post by EdwardKnoxII » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:35 pm

Funny about the 280zx. One was in the TOS pilot at the beinging before Michael got shot. I forget who drove it but, it was one of the bad guys.

EdwardKnoxII
Operative

Post by EdwardKnoxII » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:42 pm

Funny about the 280zx. One was in the TOS pilot at the beinging before Michael got shot. I forget who drove it but, it was one of the bad guys.

MR2NR
FLAG Recruit

Post by MR2NR » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:13 pm

EdwardKnoxII wrote:Funny about the 280zx. One was in the TOS pilot at the beinging before Michael got shot. I forget who drove it but, it was one of the bad guys.
It was the blond that shot Michael Long and took over Comtron's car. I also seen a lot of Gen 1 RX7's throughout the series I think Glen was just trying too keep the import fans happy as well :). I like the idea of a Japanese car being KITT as they have always had a much better understanding of computer controlled cars and many options are started with Lexus or Nissan they had auto climate control back in the early 80's and turning fog lights in the 90's. Even the new GTR was engineered by Playstation engineers :). It also makes since with the turbo boosting as the 82-85 Firebird never was turbocharged from the factory but the Z cars where also a very nice digital dash was also an option in the Datsun. Some say the nicest dash ever made :).
K.R.A.M. Knight Reformulation Automated Machine 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo.

To the people who made the Knight Rider Festival possible especially Paul Casey. Thank You! See you all and more in 2012 :kitt2:

lunchmeat
FLAG Recruit

Post by lunchmeat » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:49 pm

I can actually kind of see this....Kitt's personality would have ended up being much different, though. He probably would have been blinking his headlights for humor value or something....

Overall, I think that the T/A has aged better than this car. That car wouldn't look good for today's standards - but when you go back and watch the old Knight Rider with the T/A, you can see where the designers were going with Kitt. Although his dash looks really dated today, his exterior still holds water.
If I am destroyed... ...so shall you be. -KARR

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:52 am

This is really interesting, I never thought the Datsun can be in any movie or a show. and now to find out it could have been KITT!!!!! thank god they didnt go with it :kitt:

stelios_z28
FLAG Recruit

Post by stelios_z28 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:30 am

this car will always be in mymind as a prowl-silverstreak transformers twins from the g1 cartoon!!