Sarah Graiman: Some thoughts about her character

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

lunchmeat
FLAG Recruit

Sarah Graiman: Some thoughts about her character

Post by lunchmeat » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:08 pm

I was thinking, today, about the new Knight Rider and its reboot. We don't know if this is going to last but I like the way that it's gone so far, and I like the fact that they've pared down the cast to a small number. (I personally believe that four is the magic number here and I like the balance so far.) This gives Mike some breathing room, allows Sarah's character to grow a little more, and it creates more lighthearted Zoey and Billy moments.

We've learned quite a bit about Sarah from recent episodes - she's tough, she can hold her own in a fight, she's fierce, intelligent, and yet she has quite the sensitive side. She doesn't seem to deal well with overly emotional matters, such as the death of her father. We've seen that she may have a tendency to gravitate to alcohol and nightlife as a form of escape (although, admittedly, she seems to be able to hold her liquor quite well). Despite all of this, she has a pretty strong bond with Mike and she now serves as both the leader and provider of FLAG.

I don't know - I actually find her character kind of intriguing. (I've stripped the "douche nozzle" comment out of my mind.) I might be looking too deep into this, but I like what the writers have made of her and I think that she could be a really strong character in the series. However, these traits that I've seen are heavily undercut by her "sexy girl" image, and that's one thing that kind of irks me. Don't get me wrong - Deanna is hot, no complaints - but I was looking around on Knightriderarchive and stumbled upon pictures of Sarah from the pilot movie. (http://knightriderarchive.com/kr/galler ... llery.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) I honestly wish that they'd kept her look from the pilot for the series instead of going the route they did (but then, that's the case for the entire first part of the first season, not just Sarah's character).

In the pilot, Sarah was more shy, a bit more subdued....and I think that if they'd carried that over, the traits that we've seen recently would have more weight to them.

I don't want this to turn into a soap opera, but I think that character development would go a long way in making the show successful; we do want to see stunts, and action, and good fun, but we also want to watch characters that we care about.

I guess, in short, that I'd like to see a return to the pilot look for Sarah. It could, and would make sense for her to "dress down" a little bit since the SSC is now comprised of Zoey, Billy, Sarah, and Michael. I think it might balance the characters a little more as well; let Zoey be the sexy one. Sarah's got to run the SSC, and handle the expenses for FLAG, and do other administrative work that we don't really know about; it would make sense for her to neglect straightening her hair every morning, y'know? I think that making her "style" a little more subdued could help the character's role as a leader. For me, it would also enhance the "family" aspect of the team - she's comfortable enough with them not to "doll up".

I don't know. This post is a little convoluted, because I can't quite express my thoughts here - possibly because I haven't defined them fully, I guess. I just think that Sarah's character needs a mini-reboot, in order to balance the characters a little more. (In last week's episode, Zoey and Billy almost had it covered between the two of them; Sarah was almost superfluous.) I think that moving closer to what we saw in the pilot might work well, while deepening her character a little bit.

Any thoughts? If you couldn't read through this, I can't blame you....it's kind of disjointed. Please take note that I don't want this to turn into a soap opera; in a 45-minute show, action shouldn't be sacrificed for excessive character development. I just think that it might help the character balance since we've got four characters. Additionally, I think Deanna's been doing a great job with what she's been given, and this isn't directed at her in any way. I should also note that she's gonna look good no matter what she's wearing; Smith Cho and Deanna Russo have the same drool-factor in my book, which is why I think that this can work.

Eh, this is long. Ending now.
If I am destroyed... ...so shall you be. -KARR

Samuel Walters
Stranger
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Sarah Graiman: Some thoughts about her character

Post by Samuel Walters » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:14 pm

I think you're onto something ... insofar as character is concerned. The only way for KR to be taken seriously by anyone is to establish some real character development. And trust me, it is possible to do character development without turning a show into a soap opera. ;-)
Reviews & Analysis of Modern Media:
http://dauntlessmedia.net/

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:20 pm

I wouldn't mind it if she ran FLAG. I know people want a Devon type to run FLAG but I think it would be a good change to have Sarah run it. My criticism with her character has to do with the all the puerile angst b/w her and Michael and of course the unrealistic fighting she does. Beating up 3 guys? C'mon. For a show aimed at guys, I don't want to see that and its best left on a show like Smallville. But putting her in charge of FLAG and out of the field would be fine by me.

Lynda414
FLAG Assistant

Post by Lynda414 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:31 pm

Yeah, Sarah in the pilot movie was better. She didn't have all that eyeliner around her eyes, as a small example. I liked the Mike in the Pilot Movie better as well. More of a sense of humor, longer hair. It was great.

As she is now, I'm not comfortable with Sarah being the Leader of FLAG. In past episodes she has shown a level of immaturity that borders on Zoe-like. I agree that they need to separate those two characters more. For a while there, they both seemed to be filling the 'cheesecake' role.

For most of the season I have reffered to Sarah at home as 'love interest number 1'. This is because her character seemed to serve no other purpose but to give Mike angst.

Hopefully the reboot does make her a stronger character. Separates her from Zoe, at least. I liked in the latest episode. Mike referred to her as his girlfriend. There was no angst between them, just a little bit of background info. I can totally live with that.

GarthKnight08
FLAG Recruit

Post by GarthKnight08 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:34 pm

I have some thoughts about her! But i cant post them here :twisted:
Founder of OKA (Original KITT Anonymous)
If you need to get out feelings of loss for the Original KITT then we can help!

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:37 pm

Sarah shouldn't be Michael's gf. He should be the cad hooking up with a girl every mission or every other mission. They need to sanitize that relationship as quickly as they sanitized the budding relationship b/w Michael and Bonnie in season 1 of TOS. That's one thing Robert Foster got absolutely right. He's the lone hero that saves the day with his trusty talking steed and gets the girl in the end only to ride off into the sunset in pursuit of another mission.

lunchmeat
FLAG Recruit

Post by lunchmeat » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:33 pm

I gotta confess - I don't mind Sarah beating up guys. It shows that she can hold her own - she's kind of a badass in her own right. I just don't think they should overdo it; it's going to lose its flavor. Let her be the subdued, mature one, and only pull out an ass-whoopin' when it's needed. (I don't mind her punching guys when she's drunk, though - that one dude did kinda have it coming.)

As for the Mike/Sarah relationship....I'll be okay with it if it matures. Something more like the pilot - they're together, but it's a really close bond or something. Maybe they aren't really up front about their true feelings - all this time (Season 1), they've been playing around, lots of sexual tension, etc....but now, the feelings actually start to mature and get deeper. Sarah really cares about Mike and his safety, and it shows....but she understands the danger he puts himself in and keeps the relationship fairly professional. It doesn't seem like Sarah likes being vulnerable, and this would be a major vulnerability, so she keeps it under wraps. (As long as this isn't overdone, or overacted.) Mike has always cared about Sarah, but he doesn't divulge his feelings because of various reasons (and he's a dude). So they both deeply care about each other, and it's apparent, but they don't really act on it - and there's your show. Really, it'd be more like the relationship in the pilot. I think it could bring a nice element to the show, make us care a little more about the characters, without changing the formula or affecting the theme of the show. (It might also pull in a female audience, which could help ratings....as long as the writers don't lose the main focus of the show.)

As for Mike getting the girl at the end of every mission...I think it shows stronger character if he actually doesn't do that. Norms have changed for both genders and Mike's a man of honor.....plus, I bet KI3T can handle his needs. :P

Sorry. I had to do it.

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:15 pm

I disagree with pretty much everything you said. Sarah beating up guys is laughable. Its rare that girls can fight that well and are strong enough to take out multiple guys. It does happen in real life but its rare. Here its just another example of the feminist militant mentality that permeates our media. Just like James Bond is a male fantasy, the gorgeous looking girl who is smarter than the guys, has them falling all over her and expressing their feelings for her, and her amazing ability to beat up guys is a female fantasy.

They were going that route in the first season of TOS with Michael and Bonnie and their budding romance. But Robert Foster was wise enough to nip it in the bud b/c it does nothing but create unnecessary problems and takes away from the central relationship of the show, Michael and KITT. The love affair is b/w the man and his car. That should be the only long term "relationship" of the show.

Also, I think the concept of the noble guy protecting the fair virgin maiden needs to go out the window. Being a cad doesn't make a guy less honorable or have less character. The "honor" and "character" of a guy tied into not being promiscuous are Victorian Era ideals which we're implemented in part to control all the poverty and prostitution that was crippling England. Judeo-Christian ideals repress sexuality so they were a perfect fit with the Victorian Era mentality and a reason why it has existed for decades. Thankfully, we're slowly moving away from this draconian mindset.

kenick
Volunteer

Post by kenick » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:27 pm

for me sarah look's fine on the pilot episode
but her charecter became stupid when she said kitt is her father(brother might be fine)
not sure how she got trained to operate FLAG
she cannot run FLAG by hersef (put david hasselhoff back at devons place it makes sense as he got a lot of experience)
BLACK STIG IS THE HUMANISED KITT

lunchmeat
FLAG Recruit

Post by lunchmeat » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:41 pm

I don't remember Sarah "beating up multiple guys"....but then, I did miss the first five episodes, so if there was something in there, I apologize.

I'm not saying that Sarah should be in the middle of the action - but honestly, I don't want her to the be damsel in distress. She can throw a punch, so let her. I don't think Sarah could fight multiple guys (edit: fight multiple guys and WIN) - Mike has a hard enough time with that - but if she's being attacked, it's reasonable to assume that she knows how to defend herself.

I'm not sure if the show should cater too heavily to either the male or the female fantasy. We've got a dude who drives a pretty badass talking car; that's enough for me. As far as I know, the only sex that Mike has had in the show so far has been with Sarah; there was that one incident with the British spy girl, but that reportedly didn't happen.

I can't say that I really mind if Michael gets the girl - but I think it'd be a bit unbelievable if it happened every episode. You are right about the draconian Victorian ideals - they're ancient, but they're still in play today...and in this day and age, Mike automatically getting the girl is definitely not a given. I don't mind if it happens, but I don't think it should be a staple of the formula. I believe I understand where you're coming from about the no relationship thing - it could complicate the story - but I think we can respectfully agree to disagree on our stances. I think that it can be done with little impact on the storyline.
kenick wrote:but her charecter became stupid when she said kitt is her father(brother might be fine)
Uh....dude? If you can provide a source of reference for that, you're good....but I don't think she ever said that.

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:53 pm

kenick wrote:for me sarah look's fine on the pilot episode
but her charecter became stupid when she said kitt is her father(brother might be fine)
not sure how she got trained to operate FLAG
she cannot run FLAG by hersef (put david hasselhoff back at devons place it makes sense as he got a lot of experience)
When she says "your impossible, because your my father" in the pilot, it is because she is discussing where KITT had been programed to take her. The programing was done by her father, so she was acknowledging that the choices KITT will make will most likely be whatever Charles programed him to do.
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:00 pm

If they put Sarah in charge at FLAG, which IMO is the direction they should go in, there's no reason why she needs to be the damsel in distress. Sure there will be an episode or two where she's an integral part of the plot as the captive and holding her own is fine. Its the blatant butt kicking for the sake of showing a girl beat up 3 guys is what I'm talking about. Like the bar scene they've shown so far. Its alarming the amount of female on male violence that goes on in tv shows compared to male on female violence. Its also used in sitcoms for comedic effect which is sad. There's nothing remotely funny about a man getting elbowed in the balls by his wife, like they showed on Everybody Loves Raymond. Its completely unnecessary and gratuitous.

GST has specifically said the show caters to a male audience. Its for that reason why I'm vocal about seeing certain things and not seeing others. If they want to broaden the appeal of this show for both genders like Smallville that's fine but don't sell it as a guy's show.

Michael doesn't have to get the girl in every single episode. But he should play the cad throughout the series getting the girl as much as possible. If this is a guy's show, that's how it should be. I don't want to see relationship angst, I'll tune into Smallville to watch Clark pitifully pine over Lana.

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:46 am

I also think I like the one from the pilot more :kitt:

Lynda414
FLAG Assistant

Post by Lynda414 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:20 am

I agree mostly with lunchmeat. Sarah knowing self-defense is not a bad thing. I think she's overdone it in past episodes. I notice that she tends to pick fights. She definitely needs to be more mature than that if she wants to run FLAG.

And I think I have to disagree with Mr. Marcus on one point. Watching a hot girl beating up a bunch of guys is not really the female fantasy. Most girls, straight ones, like to fantasize about guys being the hero. It's a dated concept, yeah, but it's in our genes. And I've talked to a few guys about this and they all say that a hot, ass-kicking gorl is hot. So I think that Sarah really does cater to the male demographic.

I do agree with Mr Marcus that the angst has to go. But you don't have to sacrifice the relationship in order to get rid of the angst. Just downplay the whole relationship thing. Don't even mention it in a few eps. I think the only relationship that should have a lot of focus is between Mike and KI3T. Sarah should be helping that along instead of KI3T plaguing Michael with questions about Sarah and spying on the two of them with Billy and Zoe. That definitely has to go.

It's all about the car, really. For me anyway.

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:31 am

I've grown to tolerate her. I don't see much potential and, quite frankly, in the line of characters of interest, she's not high enough for me to care all that much about her potential. For better or worse, I've gotten used to her back-and-forth with Mike- I wanted Mike to be a womanizer, but I'll live without it. If they could play the angst out a little better, make a tad smarter, I wouldn't exactly mind either.

jshorva65
Recruit

Post by jshorva65 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:14 am

Regarding the Mike/Sarah dynamic, perhaps the show could achieve "the best of both worlds" by making it an on-again/off-again romance while downplaying the "angst" element as much as possible. Overall, I like Sarah's character, although some of the aspects from the pilot should resurface at times, as the hidden shyness. The "douche nozzle" remark was uncharacteristically crude for her, and I hope the writers refrain from giving her lines like that in future episodes. I thought that line was too crude for an 8PM time slot, and more in the character of foulmouthed standup "comic" Sarah Silverman, whose raunchy style I find remarkably unfunny and just plain annoying. I hope The Hoff returns in an infrequently-recurring guest role, perhaps in some advisory capacity to FLAG, assisting Sarah, Mike, and KI3T as a "retired" FLAG operative. Perhaps the story could be told of his having retired from field work a year or two after Stevie Knight was murdered, possibly due to recurring nightmares caused by PTSD or another near-fatal injury requiring a much longer recovery than when he was shot at the beginning of "The Scent of Roses" in Season 4 of TOS).

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:23 am

The "on-again/off- again" angle would've probably annoyed me, personally. I sort of like the idea they seemed to have in the beginning, with these two people who used to date and now get to know each other and like each other all over again. Unfortunately, that died some time halfway through the first freaking episode, so the rest sort fell apart.

If the show gets the time it needs next year, they can still go about it. More subtle interaction with clever (even if somewhat juvenile) dialogue is both less angst-y and usually pretty sexy too. Because sexy is always good and it doesn't need see-through bikinis.

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:31 am

GarthKnight08 wrote:I have some thoughts about her! But i cant post them here :twisted:
:lol: :mrgreen: LMAO you horny devil you! :lol: :mrgreen:

Lynda414
FLAG Assistant

Post by Lynda414 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:42 am

NeoRanger wrote:Because sexy is always good and it doesn't need see-through bikinis.
Hear hear!

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:51 am

Lynda414 wrote:
NeoRanger wrote:Because sexy is always good and it doesn't need see-through bikinis.
Hear hear!
Remind me on what episode did they or more specifically she used a see-through bikini! :o

Lynda414
FLAG Assistant

Post by Lynda414 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:26 am

PunkMaister wrote:
Lynda414 wrote:
Hear hear!
Remind me on what episode did they or more specifically she used a see-through bikini! :o
Shhh! They haven't yet. Don't give them any ideas!

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:55 am

Lynda414 wrote:I agree mostly with lunchmeat. Sarah knowing self-defense is not a bad thing. I think she's overdone it in past episodes. I notice that she tends to pick fights. She definitely needs to be more mature than that if she wants to run FLAG.

And I think I have to disagree with Mr. Marcus on one point. Watching a hot girl beating up a bunch of guys is not really the female fantasy. Most girls, straight ones, like to fantasize about guys being the hero. It's a dated concept, yeah, but it's in our genes. And I've talked to a few guys about this and they all say that a hot, ass-kicking gorl is hot. So I think that Sarah really does cater to the male demographic.

I do agree with Mr Marcus that the angst has to go. But you don't have to sacrifice the relationship in order to get rid of the angst. Just downplay the whole relationship thing. Don't even mention it in a few eps. I think the only relationship that should have a lot of focus is between Mike and KI3T. Sarah should be helping that along instead of KI3T plaguing Michael with questions about Sarah and spying on the two of them with Billy and Zoe. That definitely has to go.

I dispute that. Men more than ever are being told what they should like, what they should do, how they should behave. We've been groomed to believe the strong butt kicking woman is a sexual ideal. Sadly, most guys don't question this and will follow anything to get tail. So its an accepted norm today. Lots of guys find the butt kicking girl who talks down to them, hot. I'm not saying your friends are wrong, I think they 100% believe in what they've told you but realize its a product of social conditioning. Much like how the Romans thought the ideal woman was one who stayed out of politics, business, war and spun on her loom all day.

Being a secure male who isn't persuaded by what society says I should be attracted to, I can't help by eye roll whenever a girl like Sarah beats up 3 guys. All my exes and my current gf can't do completed tasks without making it a dramatic production and/or crying about it. 10 page papers used to send one of my exes into a full blown crying session. All the woman in my life have needed my help to fix their car, open a jar, kill a rat, etc. Its hard for me to accept a woman like Sarah beating up multiple guys without any help when I know this is very rare in reality. Keep that stuff on Smallville, not on KR which is supposed to be for my gender.

Lynda414
FLAG Assistant

Post by Lynda414 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:19 am

Mr.Marcus wrote:
Lynda414 wrote:I agree mostly with lunchmeat. Sarah knowing self-defense is not a bad thing. I think she's overdone it in past episodes. I notice that she tends to pick fights. She definitely needs to be more mature than that if she wants to run FLAG.

I dispute that. Men more than ever are being told what they should like, what they should do, how they should behave. We've been groomed to believe the strong butt kicking woman is a sexual ideal. Sadly, most guys don't question this and will follow anything to get tail. So its an accepted norm today. Lots of guys find the butt kicking girl who talks down to them, hot. I'm not saying your friends are wrong, I think they 100% believe in what they've told you but realize its a product of social conditioning. Much like how the Romans thought the ideal woman was one who stayed out of politics, business, war and spun on her loom all day.

Being a secure male who isn't persuaded by what society says I should be attracted to, I can't help by eye roll whenever a girl like Sarah beats up 3 guys. All my exes and my current gf can't do completed tasks without making it a dramatic production and/or crying about it. 10 page papers used to send one of my exes into a full blown crying session. All the woman in my life have needed my help to fix their car, open a jar, kill a rat, etc. Its hard for me to accept a woman like Sarah beating up multiple guys without any help when I know this is very rare in reality. Keep that stuff on Smallville, not on KR which is supposed to be for my gender.
I think that the reason you find yourself around women that are helpless, is because you have been conditioned to be attracted by that sort of woman. How old were you when you watched TOS? I'm only saying that watching MK Sr saving the damsel in distress every week might have affected you and you don't realize it.

And of course not every girl should be able to take on three guys. But it's a dangerous world out there, basic self defense is nearly a must. I do have a problem with Sarah picking fights, but I don't think she should be completely useless.

And yes, I have the BF open the jars and kill the spiders, but he likes being useful. I also don't turn into a sobbing wreck when he's not around to do those things for me though.

lunchmeat
FLAG Recruit

Post by lunchmeat » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:16 pm

Mr.Marcus wrote:Men more than ever are being told what they should like, what they should do, how they should behave. We've been groomed to believe the strong butt kicking woman is a sexual ideal. So its an accepted norm today.
This is true. No dispute here. However, I will say that I like strong women who don't feel compelled to throw it in your face, and I haven't found many of those. A little modesty goes a long way, regardless of gender.
Being a secure male who isn't persuaded by what society says I should be attracted to, I can't help by eye roll whenever a girl like Sarah beats up 3 guys. All my exes and my current gf can't do completed tasks without making it a dramatic production and/or crying about it. 10 page papers used to send one of my exes into a full blown crying session. All the woman in my life have needed my help to fix their car, open a jar, kill a rat, etc.
I can't really comment on the women in your life, but you've just described two different extremes - and it isn't fair to judge all women by either standard. As such, I don't think that Sarah should be on either extreme - I think that she should be a strong woman in terms of emotion and mentality. I also think that she should be able to hold her own in a fight. I'd just like to see her practice restraint - I've always believed that the strong don't have anything to prove. When times get rough, she'll pull out all the stops, mentally, emotionally, and physically - but when she doesn't need to, she won't. A little modesty goes a long way for both genders, and I think it will help here. In this, we'll see a strong, mature character, instead of a simpering princess or a gung-ho man-beater.

We've taken a little tangent, though - I don't think I mentioned Sarah fighting in my original post. I just want to see her look, along with her character, become a little more restrained. I wonder what the other posters think?

Lynda414
FLAG Assistant

Post by Lynda414 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:25 pm

I agree with you lunchmeat, again. ^_^

I think that Sarah should be more subdued in all areas, physically and emotionally. A good leader knows when to keep their cool.