Just a little bondo here and there ?

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

ws6air
Operative

Just a little bondo here and there ?

Post by ws6air » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:20 pm

Thought I'd show you all this before I get started on the battery tray area. I went ahead and made me a template for the pans out of cardboard.. just will have to go to the shop and make one at work. Can't wait to get a pan in and start welding that in. That's when I'll know that I'm almost there. anyway, I went ahead and put the All Metal on to protect the metal, now it's time to make the pan YES!!! Can't wait...talk with you all when that 's in... see ya! I decided to move my build to this area ( I was doing it in the " I'm new here " section...so anyway...have a good one.....

Marc

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Just a little bondo here and there ?

Post by weeezl » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:28 pm

I've seen the other pictures of your engine bay too, you must have some serious patience to able to smooth out the whole engine bay! thats dedication right there. :good:

ws6air
Operative

Post by ws6air » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:52 am

Hey , I thought I'd just post some pics of what I've been doing this month. First of all, I had to cut my battery pan out. My shop at work has this real ancient big @ss metal bender from like the 30's or 40's... just pickin, but it is probably from the 70's . It's wider than a bus. No problem bending this little metal.

Well, of course you have to weld it in, so if you look at your battery tray, it has alot of holes in the bottom...Well, I used some of the block steel you can get at Lowe's or any hardware store, and measured where the holes were and made a view of my own. I wanted support for the tray so I can put stuff on it if needed. So , I measured and welded the pieces to the pan, then, welded the pan in.

well, after the pan was in , there is a problem , which was the same as the other side, The battery tray is flat and the frame goes down. BIG problem in blocking. WILL NOT LOOK GOOD! So, I measured the difference of the pan and the frame , and it was about 1/4 inch, at the highest point. So , I welded a piece of 1/4 inch steel on the frame, then grinded it down, and acted like I was blocking but with steel and a grinder. So basically, the piece I welded in (which was straight before ) was now tilted and level with the battery tray. Anyway. I checked it with a block and made sure it was straight, I DO NOT like alot of bondo in my rides. Well , here is how it looks, it probably looks like , " WHAT THE #ELL HAVE YOU DONE" but remember this is before the ALL METAL goes on.

Now the next thing I do, which alot of people will say, HUH, but this is just from my experiences with metalwork. I glass the seams just to make sure that no air gets trapped. I used a little more resin than normal so the resin goes in the holes. Usually bondo or all metal go in the pores of the welded area but resin seems to drip in them more, less chances of air release later. Anyway...here it is with the glass done....the next pic of it will be in all metal and bondo... so until then , thanks for listening to this long @ss letter....Here's how it is with the glass (very little glasswork)

Thanks
Marc

ws6air
Operative

Post by ws6air » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:11 pm

Hey guys, more pics! YES.... Just jokin...but these pics , you can see it finally coming together...

This is after the ALL METAL was sanded and ready for bondo

Here are the rest with just bondo added...This should be the last big sanding. The rest should be just hole fills...

Thanks for looking
marc