karrs scanner

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

MURDOCK
Rookie

karrs scanner

Post by MURDOCK » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:10 am

Whys it yellow not red>?This one didnt fall into the sea?Or did it

Lexicon
Operative

Re: karrs scanner

Post by Lexicon » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:04 am

It is yellow...because......it was yellow in the original KITT VS KARR episode and it differentiates between the two vehicles.

K.A.C.I.
Operative

Post by K.A.C.I. » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:35 am

Well, it was yellow in "KITT vs KARR", but IIRC it wasn't in "Trust Doesn't Rust" - Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but in his very first original appearance, KARR was entirely identical to KITT except for the voice and the "voicebox" in the cockpit.
The scanner was changed to yellow for some reason in "KvK" - I would guess to differentiate KARR visually from KITT, and the yellow color was kept in KARR'08 for the same reason - to visually differentiate Mustang-KARR from KITT.
Knight Autonomous Cyber-Automotive Interceptor

Skav
FLAG Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Skav » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:27 am

K.A.C.I. wrote:Well, it was yellow in "KITT vs KARR", but IIRC it wasn't in "Trust Doesn't Rust" - Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but in his very first original appearance, KARR was entirely identical to KITT except for the voice and the "voicebox" in the cockpit.
The scanner was changed to yellow for some reason in "KvK" - I would guess to differentiate KARR visually from KITT, and the yellow color was kept in KARR'08 for the same reason - to visually differentiate Mustang-KARR from KITT.
You are correct on the first point you make.

It all depends whether you want to accept whether this was a new or the same KARR from TOS. If you want it to be a new KARR then you can say it was just sheer coinidence that the scanner was yellow.

If you want it to be the same KARR from TOS, then it's a screw up to be honest.

I bought this exact point up before the episode aired. It should not have been yellow if it's the same KARR from TOS even though the salt water corrosion theory was made up by fans. But it is plausible.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cazman101
Rookie

Post by cazman101 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:41 pm

I belive KARRs explanation for the scanner in KITT vs KARR was that "the fibre optics in his scanner were down in obesity by 20%" or something like that. I guess they just wanted a visual difference. Which now thinking about it would have made it a whole different story if Mike had gone after KITT and had got into KARR by accident.

Glissard
Recruit

Post by Glissard » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:58 pm

Oh. Now that would have been great! You could've done a whole three parter episode with that idea. KARR takes Mike on a joyride and the rest of the crew has to find KI3T and chase after him.

Lexicon
Operative

Post by Lexicon » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:47 pm

K.A.C.I. wrote:Well, it was yellow in "KITT vs KARR", but IIRC it wasn't in "Trust Doesn't Rust" - Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but in his very first original appearance, KARR was entirely identical to KITT except for the voice and the "voicebox" in the cockpit.

As I had posted in an earlier thread, the script for KVK (at least the draft I was able to dig up) was written as if KARR had originally used a yellow scanner or the script writer wrote it as such because they needed to have the two vehicles be distinctly different. KARR's voice modulator was also a different color than KITT's and after looking at it, they may have decided it would also be aesthetically pleasing to have a yellow-greenish scanner effect to match the color of the visualizer on the modulator. That's how I look at it anyway.

Knight94
Operative

Post by Knight94 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:40 pm

In TDR, the KARR's scanner was red, but his voice modulator was greenish yellow. In KvK the scanner and voice
modulator were both amber yellow. My guess is also that they wanted to differentiate KITT and KARR totally,
which is why they also painted the lower part of KARR silver in KvK.

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:09 am

Knight94 wrote:In TDR, the KARR's scanner was red, but his voice modulator was greenish yellow. In KvK the scanner and voice
modulator were both amber yellow. My guess is also that they wanted to differentiate KITT and KARR totally,
which is why they also painted the lower part of KARR silver in KvK.
the Idea is to tell which is which, thats all. Plus, I think Yellow adds more of evil to KARR Image :kitt:

Faithful Car KRO
FLAG Recruit

Post by Faithful Car KRO » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:35 am

My question is why they actually went out and made the yellow scanners for the new KARR when he was only in car-mode for maybe a minute out of the whole episode. Could have done it with CGI than spending $5000.

Oh...maybe they knew they'd need them for when they bring KARR back for season 2!
"Michael, I agree with your earlier assessment, back-up plans suck."- KI3T
Put the word out!
WATCH THE SHOW!!!: Wed at 8:00pm on NBC.
Its getting better and gaining ratings, AWESOME!!

lunchmeat
FLAG Recruit

Post by lunchmeat » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:08 am

Faithful Car KRO wrote:My question is why they actually went out and made the yellow scanners for the new KARR when he was only in car-mode for maybe a minute out of the whole episode. Could have done it with CGI than spending $5000.

Oh...maybe they knew they'd need them for when they bring KARR back for season 2!
Did they? I wasn't aware of that. I would have guessed that the 2D guys edited the scan lights into the scenes, like they have done before on occasion....but then, I could be wrong.
If I am destroyed... ...so shall you be. -KARR

Garthe Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Garthe Knight » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:30 am

Yeah the guys from Master Key Productions confirmed this in an interview. They actually build a yellow scanner into one of the hero cars.
When KARR stands behind the curtain, when he drives off and the before beginning of the fight it's a real car with yellow scanner.
And yeah, it's less than a minute screentime... :cry:

Faithful Car KRO
FLAG Recruit

Post by Faithful Car KRO » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:31 am

lunchmeat wrote:
Faithful Car KRO wrote:My question is why they actually went out and made the yellow scanners for the new KARR when he was only in car-mode for maybe a minute out of the whole episode. Could have done it with CGI than spending $5000.

Did they? I wasn't aware of that. I would have guessed that the 2D guys edited the scan lights into the scenes, like they have done before on occasion....but then, I could be wrong.
It was mentioned in one of the MasterKey Interviews.
"Michael, I agree with your earlier assessment, back-up plans suck."- KI3T
Put the word out!
WATCH THE SHOW!!!: Wed at 8:00pm on NBC.
Its getting better and gaining ratings, AWESOME!!

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:21 pm

Just b/c we saw 1 min. of KARR with a yellow scanner in vehicle mode doesn't mean they shot just that minute of footage. Normally, they shoot a bunch of footage and they trim it down in editing. I have a nagging feeling that they shot a lot more of KARR in vehicle mode and then trimmed it down in editing to make room for more commercial time. What's funny to me is that if KR08 ever aired in syndication, episodes in syndication are trimmed down even further to make room for more commercial time which is why you typically lose a few minutes from a syndicated episode, they could trim almost all of the KARR footage out and you would never know he was in the episode. That's how underutilized KARR was in KR08.

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:45 pm

I think because in TOS the first season didn't have a big budget maybe. Or else I think you would have seen a scanner to match KARR's voice box color. It may have been beyond their budget to put a yellow-green scanner into a Trans-Am at that point in time, so they just used an extra KITT car.

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:08 pm

Kram061-1 wrote:I think because in TOS the first season didn't have a big budget maybe. Or else I think you would have seen a scanner to match KARR's voice box color. It may have been beyond their budget to put a yellow-green scanner into a Trans-Am at that point in time, so they just used an extra KITT car.
that is another way to look at it Image :kitt:

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:35 pm

It was both cheaper and it served better from a storytelling perspective. They wanted you to go "WTF" seeing "KITT" in the museum. Ah, the '80s. The decade of big hair, synthesizers and evil twins.