Knight Rider was cancelled?

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Jay_n1
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Knight Rider was cancelled?

Post by Jay_n1 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:04 pm

Say I just read on another board that Knight Rider was cancelled. Is that true or is that just wishfull thinking?

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Re: Knight Rider was cancelled?

Post by Mr.Marcus » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:13 pm

Nothing official has been said yet about KR's future. Everything is speculation.

Tony P Knight Driver
Operative

Post by Tony P Knight Driver » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:33 pm

which board has that posted?
Tony P.
The Knight Driver
Keep Knight Rider Rolling
One Person Can Make a Difference.
SUPPORT KNIGHT RIDER!
http://www.gopetition.com/online/23816.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GT500KR
FLAG Recruit

Post by GT500KR » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:52 pm

if u say IMDB, dont believe anything over there, haha
"My wife asks me, why you do those burnouts? Well.....you do it for the kids, you know, Im not being immature. You just.....well you do it for the kids."
~Jay Leno

Jay_n1
Operative

Post by Jay_n1 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:06 pm

Tony P Knight Driver wrote:which board has that posted?
It was on a Mustang board called The Mustang Source..

Shapeshifter
FLAG Recruit

Post by Shapeshifter » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:19 pm

KR hasn't been cancelled, officially. I hear that Angela Bromstad (sp) is not a big fan of the show, and that doesn't bode well.

The other problem is, that KR08 has become a bit of a running joke in many circles. That creates a PR problem for a network, because no matter how good it gets, it's hard to overcome that kind of impression. The only thing they feel they can do is let the show quietly go away. NBC seems to be doing everything it can to ignore it.

At least they haven't done what they did with 'Kidnapped' and move it to Mondays at 2 AM to run out the string.

I would say, enjoy what's left. Barring a miracle, I think that's all you'll see for a while.

Kaine
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kaine » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:03 am

Shapeshifter wrote:KR hasn't been cancelled, officially. I hear that Angela Bromstad (sp) is not a big fan of the show, and that doesn't bode well.

The other problem is, that KR08 has become a bit of a running joke in many circles. That creates a PR problem for a network, because no matter how good it gets, it's hard to overcome that kind of impression. The only thing they feel they can do is let the show quietly go away. NBC seems to be doing everything it can to ignore it.

At least they haven't done what they did with 'Kidnapped' and move it to Mondays at 2 AM to run out the string.

I would say, enjoy what's left. Barring a miracle, I think that's all you'll see for a while.
normally i wouldn't worry about such a post, but coming from you, Shapeshifter, it's actually quite unsettling. i still hope you're wrong though. :(

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:14 pm

Shapeshifter wrote:KR hasn't been cancelled, officially. I hear that Angela Bromstad (sp) is not a big fan of the show, and that doesn't bode well.

You have'nt been wrong yet :wink: hence why I believe this over anything I've previously heard.

That information saddens me :(

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:36 pm

You make a good point about the PR problem. I don't think a single media outlet has praised KR. Even places like AICN that in theory should support shows like this give it the cold shoulder. That's when you know you're screwed.

t.b.77b
Operative

Post by t.b.77b » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:30 pm

I agree but I sure hope we're wrong. I love this show.
Save the series! Save the world!
Tell you friends to tune in Wednesdays at 8 p.m.

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:09 pm

t.b.77b wrote:I agree but I sure hope we're wrong. I love this show.
I sure hope they are wrong too, if they are right it is the end for any kind of a revival of the franchise for next 10 or more generations down the line it could be even more than 60 years before we see any kind of an attempt if there is TV even at that time...

t.b.77b
Operative

Post by t.b.77b » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:20 pm

PunkMaister wrote:
I sure hope they are wrong too, if they are right it is the end for any kind of a revival of the franchise for next 10 or more generations down the line it could be even more than 60 years before we see any kind of an attempt if there is TV even at that time...
I hope there is TV at the time TV is basically my life along with KRO. LOL :kitt: :D

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:24 pm

PunkMaister wrote:
Agreed. KR on the small screen is done. I doubt the movie will be made since its been in development hell for sometime and its interest piqued a few years ago with that photoshoped poster. Since then there hasn't been a blip other than Larson making a short video holding up what he claims to be a script.

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:25 pm

t.b.77b wrote:
PunkMaister wrote:
I hope there is TV at the time TV is basically my life along with KRO. LOL :kitt: :D
But since I'm talking about 5 generations o5 60 years or longer it does not really matter. The point is if the show tanks the franchise will just be another dead franchise only living in fan clubs and that's it forever and ever...

kwsta25
Rookie

Post by kwsta25 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:35 pm

if nbc cancels knightrider they are stuuuuuuuuuuupid

THE SHOW IS GETING GOOD PPL ARE LIKE SHEEP GIVE IT SOME TIME DIFFRENT DAY AND THEY WILL FOLLOW.
Last edited by Matthew on Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: To merge posts.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:31 pm

I would say to look on the bright side. We got a 2-hour backdoor pilot with teases of the original K.I.T.T. who we will likely never see again. David Hasselhoff returned for a cameo, who we will also likely never see reprise the role of Michael Knight again. We got a television series order of 13 episodes and despite clearly being taken in the wrong direction by the showrunner, the show still got picked up for a full season. It then got trimmed down a bit, which further diminished the chance of Hasselhoff returning, but a full season was the best shot at getting a second season. Yes, the ratings never quite held up and were nothing to brag about, but some members here love the show and can at least enjoy what is left. At this point all of us still have this retooling to look forward to, which hopefully will make this show actually finally feel similar to that of the original.

I know I have blamed Gary Scott Thompson in a few of my posts (and I still do), but in all fairness the problem occurred way before he even came on-board. The Writers Strike, in my view, pretty much caused a domino effect that led to where we're at now and the direction NBC and the series itself took. No Writers Strike would've meant a chance to tweak and rework the backdoor pilot script which would have likely delayed the premiere date, but we perhaps could have seen a more action-packed final product, which is obviously an essential ingredient in Knight Rider. This, in turn, could have created better word-of-mouth for the movie (despite the fact that it did well in ratings, most people didn't like it) and thereby convinced NBC to keep David Andron around as showrunner. G.S.T. was chosen to correct the "mistakes" of the backdoor pilot, but ended up creating (or allowing) an endless amount more of his own.

As disappointed as I was with "Knight To King's Pawn," I will indeed still continue to watch the show because all the evidence points to this show quietly being on its way out, as Shapeshifter acknowledged. I'd like to accept the fact that Hasselhoff and William Daniels will probably not be returning, not getting much more continuity (if any), and just try to enjoy what's left of this latest attempt to resurrect the franchise which had good intentions, but ultimately again fell short.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:57 pm

^ I do not see anything positive if the show is canceled period...

t.b.77b
Operative

Post by t.b.77b » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:59 pm

PunkMaister wrote:
t.b.77b wrote:
PunkMaister wrote: I sure hope they are wrong too, if they are right it is the end for any kind of a revival of the franchise for next 10 or more generations down the line it could be even more than 60 years before we see any kind of an attempt if there is TV even at that time...
But since I'm talking about 5 generations o5 60 years or longer it does not really matter. The point is if the show tanks the franchise will just be another dead franchise only living in fan clubs and that's it forever and ever...
I know what you were saying I was just kidding around.

blowersho
Operative

Post by blowersho » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:00 pm

I think the problem is that the intentions were not good. Correct me if I am wrong but from what I remember NBCU's original motivation for making the pilot was that they heard Larson was pushing for a movie and wanted him to come aboard with them and make a TV show, he refused and the rest is history.

They made the show to "stick it to him", any project conceived under such a negative atmosphere is bound to fail. As usual the fans suffer the most and are left thinking "what if".

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:04 pm

blowersho wrote:I think the problem is that the intentions were not good. Correct me if I am wrong but from what I remember NBCU's original motivation for making the pilot was that they heard Larson was pushing for a movie and wanted him to come aboard with them and make a TV show, he refused and the rest is history.

They made the show to "stick it to him", any project conceived under such a negative atmosphere is bound to fail. As usual the fans suffer the most and are left thinking "what if".
Why did Larson refused?

blowersho
Operative

Post by blowersho » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:09 pm

I can't recall why he refused, perhaps Victor Kros could help with this one?

ElectricPhantom
Rookie

Post by ElectricPhantom » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:28 pm

I wouldn't take it as the end if this series fails to gain a second season.

All it takes is someone out there writing a script that someone might pick up- if all else fails.

Who knows? Maybe in a few years, someone might have written such a good script that they revive this series. It's been done before; a series is "canned" then brought back to life.

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:34 pm

ElectricPhantom wrote:I wouldn't take it as the end if this series fails to gain a second season.

All it takes is someone out there writing a script that someone might pick up- if all else fails.

Who knows? Maybe in a few years, someone might have written such a good script that they revive this series. It's been done before; a series is "canned" then brought back to life.
Rest assured NBC will not pick the tab to revive this franchise in the foreseable future and since the Scifi channel, USA network belongs to them as well all bets are off that we will see anythjing in our lifetimes other than Larson's movie if it even gets off the ground and even if it does I fear it will be as big a disappointment as the Dr Who film was.

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:54 pm

blowersho wrote:I think the problem is that the intentions were not good. Correct me if I am wrong but from what I remember NBCU's original motivation for making the pilot was that they heard Larson was pushing for a movie and wanted him to come aboard with them and make a TV show, he refused and the rest is history.

I'm pretty sure Glen was never asked to come on board with the series (if he was he said no) they did'nt need to get him anyway as NBC own the rights to make all the Knight Rider TV shows they please as they own the rights to the TV versions.

Glen has nothing to do with the the TV show apart from an executive producer credit, he retains the rights to the possible motion picture version.

sardille
Stranger

Post by sardille » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:02 pm

hey guys.... i agree that the show is in a bad time frame so NBC should know now but its late in the season to move it. william daniels is 83 now so idont think he has the voice to do it again
i like the voice of val. it has improved as kitt personality has.
i think there was too much fuzz about karr's Ep and the fight only lasted like1 minutes.

Other thing is that this kind of shows needs money for the stunts, you cant do everyting on visual effects, it looks like a videogame. i was looking at the original series and the turboboost was really espectacular, the car was thrown in the air.....anyway, im new here but i like the show, i hope there is a 2nd chance. IF NBC people are smart they would work on the 2nd season and try to run the replays in a better time frame so they can catch new viewers.