PLEASE! Let it die!

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Skav
FLAG Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: PLEASE! Let it die!

Post by Skav » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:52 am

Victor Kros wrote:- So let me get this straight, kids today use the term "douche", "brosef", and so on? Is that what you're stating? That children, not teens mind you but KIDS today are accustom to seeing people grinding under the sheets, calling each other douches, and throwing fists amongst a drinking atmosphere? Is this what "family entertainment" has been reduced to?

Actually, yes. Believe it or not. But really, is there a need to be so specific? Kids, teens, whatever. I lump them all into one. By law they are still children until 18. I am not strictly talking about tv shows here but in other areas, kids today (and that includes actual kids) are very aggressive. Can it be blamed on tv? No, of course not. It's just that the public are different in this day and age. That needs to be accepted whether you like it or not.

Let's hope Knight Rider aspires to be the trend setter again and not just a trend followers because just like pogs, a trend is popular only until something else bigger and better comes along.

What trend did KR set? I am confused by this sentence.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Amir
Operative

Post by Amir » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:40 am

I think that aside from the problems the show has - it's clearly not perfect - some of the fans also have a problem, because they expected this to be really the fifth season of Knight Rider TOS. It's not, it can't be, it shouldn't be, but people still talk about 'who is going to be Devon, who is going to be Bonnie, is Sarah the new Devon'. No, Devon was Devon and Sarah is Sarah. New show, new characters, different assigments, different roles. It shouldn't be exactly the same except the core elements of Knight Rider - and I think the core IS there (and no, KARR is not it).

Actually, what might end up tearing the show apart is its attempt to move forward and still account for the past. I mean, for us, TOS fans, the mention of the name Wilton Knight or FLAG is huge. For those who are not, it means nothing. It might even put them off, because they will feel disconnected. Older fans are disillusioned because it's a new, different Knight Rider; Newer potential fans just doesn't make the connection with older elements of the show. It's definitely a production problem - They need to explain these things for everyone. But the bottom line might well mean that Knight Rider ends in five weeks, never to return again.

How any 'Knight Rider fan' can WISH it upon the show and other fans is something I cannot understand. Sounds like provocation to me.

taoworm2323
FLAG Assistant

Post by taoworm2323 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:59 am

Sue wrote:I'm sure we all get enough crap from coworkers and friends for being Knight Rider fans. One would hope that here at least we have a safe place to be a fan and be respected for that.
Amen Sue!

My 2 cents...
Is this a debate board or a fan board?
I thought all of us being Knight Rider fans it would be a fan board.
But I see some that are here just for "lively debate" :roll:
Debate, helping destroy the show, call it what you will, its nerdy nitpicky & it blows.

Here's to hoping we all rally together before it's too late.
"Don't tell me what I can't do!" ---John Locke

KnightINSTINCT
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightINSTINCT » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:01 am

Does anyone remember that episode of Beavis and Butthead, where Stewart and that other nerd kid debate about KITT being just a car without Micheal Knight? LOL, that's what we are! We're all a bunch of hopeless dweebs!

Neps should really consider pushing all threads that deal with bashings and disgruntledness to a board titled KNIGHT RIDER POLITICS. Or, just change the NBC KNIGHT RIDER 2008 title to KNIGHT RIDER POLITICS. KRO is turning into a warzone!

suave6565
Volunteer

Post by suave6565 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:27 pm

KnightINSTINCT wrote: KRO is turning into a warzone!
I agree...

Throw in cancel,Pull the plug and it becomes a warzone.People are way too sensitive here...

At this point, we just have to wait and see.

I'm sure if the show gets canceled, someone here will point the finger at the people who didn't support or bashed it. Then those people will have to sit down and think "It was that many people that didn't like the show?"
There's going to be some sort of denial, name calling....We all have our opinion and i respect it. I am looking from the outside in.

Nelson B
Operative

Post by Nelson B » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:11 pm

Yes this place certainly can become a war zone. I got a warning yesterday from one of the mod's not 5 minutes after I made my post. Has the new president done away with free speech? This is a thread for people who are not happy with the way Knight rider is being made. I really don't want to see it cancelled but I'am really not happy with it either. You know the old saying the squeeking wheel gets the grease. :D

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:26 pm

Free speech doesn't exist when you join a website that has clearly placed rules and terms of service, by joining you agree to those terms. Aside from that, Free Speech only covers censorship by the Government and entities of with some exemptions, not the private sector.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Victor Kros » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:35 pm

Let's hope Knight Rider aspires to be the trend setter again and not just a trend followers because just like pogs, a trend is popular only until something else bigger and better comes along.
Skav wrote:
"What trend did KR set? I am confused by this sentence."
- Do I really need to get into the countless other television shows and video games that straight up ripped off the concepts that Knight Rider started? The concept of a super powered vehicle was heightened by the success of Knight Rider. Look at games like Spy Hunter, shows like Airwolf,, M.A.S.K., and more recently Viper, etc.

You can honestly tell me that you don't see how Knight Rider was a trend setter and not a trend follower? In a world of 80s television where detective shows were the norm with shows like Magnum PI, Miami Vice, Hunter, In the Heat of the Night, Hart to Hart, Scarecrow and Mrs. King, etc. Knight Rider changed the scope of what people wanted to see on televison at the time.

Then there was A-Team and MacGuyver which set their own trends as shows where a person or team had to build things to get out of dangerous situations or solve some epic problems but like Knight Rider the innocent and the powerless required assistance from independent sources to battle criminals who operated above the law.

That is why the original Knight Rider was the trend setter back then, it was the show other people wanted to copy from. Now it's the reverse, the new Knight Rider is copying for other ideas in some ways very directly. There's a fine line between inspiration and creative theft, I think the new Knight Rider walks a very thin line. Perhaps shows today just can't come up with something more fresh and original at this point, perhaps following the formulas of shows like 24 and CSI/Law and Order is what works today but it doesn't change the fact of losing your unique identity in the process.

=VK=
:dash:

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:13 pm

We have seen BAD episodes of the new Knight Rider. King's Pawn did not have a lot of bad stuff in it, it basically just lacked good stuff. And with the added weight of KARR, yes it was a disappointment. But we had two GREAT episodes before that. And now FLAG is back. I don't understand why people want to see it die just when it's gaining momentum.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

t.b.77b
Operative

Post by t.b.77b » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:07 pm

KnightINSTINCT wrote: KRO is turning into a warzone!
Your right when I joined in November not so long ago you had little discussions about the future of the show and most parts of KRO are still like this but I hadn't really surfed the site and came back to this topic and what I saw is down right rage. This is a show people I love this show but their is no sense in yelling and bashing other people over something that in the end will most likely have no effect in the course of our lives. This is just down right pathetic.
Save the series! Save the world!
Tell you friends to tune in Wednesdays at 8 p.m.

necrophilissimo
Rookie

Post by necrophilissimo » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:41 am

Being new here I really don't understand all this negativity towards the new KR. Sure, it's not the Hasselhoff vehicle of the 80s, but it's still KR no less, featuring all the essential elements and high entertainment value. Sure, it ain't high culture, but neither was the original, mind you.

And when it comes to negativity towards writers and scripts of KR08; Again, it's not high-culture, but high-octane entertainment with tongue in the cheek. After reading several posts regarding 'high quality scripts' of the original series, I had to double-check people were talking about the same show. Original KR had equally silly nonsense scripts as the new one, AND THAT's PRECISELY why I love it! :good: No unnecessary brooding, just high-flying action based on wackiest excuses, spiced with humor and well-executed drama in good measure - all pulled off with straight face and high production values.

I love the original show - more than any other TV, in fact - for what it is and I feel KR08 is exactly that, only modernized. Sadly, world doesn't seem to want this innocent, care-free entertainment anymore. It's all about serious, gritty and mostly over-written drama or exploitive reality shows - and this TV climate, KR08 is exactly what the doctor ordered.
TAGAP: The Apocalyptic Game About Penguins - Join the penguin apocalypse!

Knight4life
Operative

Post by Knight4life » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:52 am

The show is definitely getting better,sure KARR's small screen time did dissapoint us.The TOS wasn't perfect at the time as well.It took of it's episode plots from various movies and stuff.The idea of a car with weapons and stuff is inspired by james bond so you see the TOS wasn't entirely original as well.Hoping this show would get a second season and it'll hopefully be much better!

knightendo77
Operative

Post by knightendo77 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:27 am

The original show definitely borrowed too. But in a more general way it was certainly original for its time. This new series is borrowing ideas, but I still feel that if they'd stayed true to the original's formula it'd have gained more viewers by now than it has.

I've noticed some people saying bringing Larson/Hasselhoff/KI2T (delete as applicable) back as they feel that'll save the show. This new show should survive (if they get the new - or should I say original - direction right) on its own merits and not have to rely on the past. Besides, Larson has the movie rights and isn't going to come back to the series, and if you're going to bring an old producer back, why not Robert Foster? Yes Larson created the show, but Foster took over at episode 13 or 14 and from there on it was him that directed the series onwards. Victor appreciates his input too as he's giving Robert a preface in volume two (is that still happening Victor?). I'm not discrediting Larson, just that people seem to forget about Foster.

Anyway, my thoughts are that at the end of the pilot (which I enjoyed) there was so much potential! We had a cast which I was really looking forward to seeing more of, to see how they gelled. I hadn't looked forward to a cast so much since Stargate SG-1 hit its stride. KITT was unique and I loved the Mustang and Kilmer's voice. I loved the ending with the plane, the theme tune et all... but then GST came in, and yes you'd think The Fast And The Furious and Vegas, well that's a great combination to have for a producer of new Knight Rider, but look what happened!! He should've done his research like Dave Andron did for the pilot! Instead GST decided to go his own way and take it far away from the original concept. But I still believe it has scope and potential aplenty.

It's worth noting as well that while a lot of people are bad-mouthing NBC, that according to the UK's SCI-FI NOW magazine UK Knight Rider had one of the most successful pre-transmission advertising campaign ever! That meant more people knew about it and more people know what to expect than other shows in history.... but what happened? 7 million. Then 5. Simple fact is, NBC advertised the life outta the show, people just didn't want to tune in and I believe that's because of the direction it was going in, or because it looked nothing like a show they wanted to watch. If it had have been more like the original in tone and direction (I'm not saying copying it, but a more family show with more fleshed out characters, a smaller core cast, helping the innocent, and having KITT as a bloomin' main character at the beginning) I'm sure they would have. You can't blame NBC for not wanting to throw loads more money behind advertising now with the fall in audience without it proving itself even a little. If it keeps a 5+ million audience that doesn't decrease in the face of stiff new competition that might be the start. Bring back a season two with it being the proper "Knight Rider" NBC have wanted all along (referring to the GST interview in UK mag SFX) and you'll see NBC right behind it. They want to be, but they wanted proper KR, and what was delivered wasn't. They could see it was going the wrong way and they've forced this reboot through. I say good for them!
knightendo77
"I'm a Goofy Goober."

I'm on Bebo - knightendo_phil

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant

Post by CJaguar442 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:36 am

Knight Rider will never die !!!
Re-elect Mayor Goldie wilson, Progress is his middle name!
Save the Clocktower!
Go Boston Red Sox! Go Boston Bruins! Go Boston Celtics!
Go the distance and he will come!

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:26 am

Michael Pajaro wrote:We have seen BAD episodes of the new Knight Rider. King's Pawn did not have a lot of bad stuff in it, it basically just lacked good stuff. And with the added weight of KARR, yes it was a disappointment. But we had two GREAT episodes before that. And now FLAG is back. I don't understand why people want to see it die just when it's gaining momentum.
They dont Mike, most of us wanted it so be a huge hit. Bashing new KR has been a fashionable trend for some to follow for some reason, lord knows why any fan of KR would want it to fail. Thats ridiculas IMO seeing as it is the best attempt out of all the remakes to keep KR on our screens and considering the new direction the shows going in people would be fools to want it to die. We're getting what we want, cast cut backs, more one man & his car helping the innocent & FLAG being reinstated is the icing on the cake.

Sure they have made some mistakes and missed some opportunities IMO but all the negativity aimed at the show amazes me, its pointless and I just dont understand it. :|

the original KITT
Operative

Post by the original KITT » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:18 pm

There have been some bad epiosdes, but it is getting better. When i first watched Deadly maneuvers (season 1) first epiosde of TOS it was sooo boring. Therefore the general gist of it is that it starts of crap and gets better.
Michael:“KITT I NEED YAH!”
Kitt:“ON MY WAY MICHAEL!”

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:53 am

kitt1 wrote:I'm sorry, but after seeing last nights episode with KARR, the only humane thing to do would be to PULL THE PLUG.

Mark Puette
SOUTHERN KNIGHTS
Will you please be quite and sit in the courner? you dotn like the show then dont watch it. not one is pointing a gun on your head and forcing you to. if the writet keep this trend, i think we will have a very interesting KR in our hands that will go along TOS in history :kitt: :karr:

trissybabes
FLAG Recruit

Post by trissybabes » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:54 am

Thing is, there's nothing currently like this on TV at the moment.

Series that started out great got way too bogged down in their own mythology (Lost, Heroes et al) and were trying to portray themselves as "serious, adult" shows, primarily because they offer long complicated story arcs that pretty much only so called adults would remember and get.

Knight Rider wears it's heart on it's sleeve. It's not an Emmy winning series, it's just bloody good fun, a bit of real escapism that you can dip into now and then. 45 minutes of high-octane, balls out fun, with some great one liners and good special effects - particularly bearing in mind these guys are working on a TV budget.

I don't think that GST was necessarily the right man to Exec Produce the thing and that Dave Andron's vision was much closer to the ethos of the original but while keeping it contemporary.

I seriously doubt that it will get a second season, which really disappoints me. If it WERE to make it that far, I would hope that Andron were given the reins of series to see where he could take it.

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:28 pm

weeezl wrote:
Mr.Marcus wrote:I hope this show gets canceled. They've had 3 chances to get KR right and they haven't. Time to accept they don't know what they are doing and move on. I was open to the possibility up until KARR and the way he was thrown in as some token villain clearly demonstrated to me that they don't get it. If you're going to bring back KR it should be as good if not better than the original. Not worse. There's no excuse for that. Time to end it.
Dont be a jagoff, hoping the show gets cancelled is stupid, it hurts the whole franchise.

I'm not saying new KR is perfect or a worthy successor to the original, its an entirely different show.

KR being on the screen (regardless of its faults) is positive for the fandom, we should all be behind it due to the fact that it has the most potential out of all the re-boots to bring KR to the new audiences, sure they made mistakes in the series direction but IMO it has the best chance of continuing the KR craze for years to come.
What hurts the whole franchise is a subpar KR product masquerading as a worthy successor to the original. Its sad that some fans think any KR automatically means its a good thing. Have you no standards for quality? And you think I'm not a fan b/c I only ask that a show about KR be actually good? Please. The argument that its an entirely different show doesn't work unless you define entirely different to mean crap. This show is different yes, but more importantly its bad. And that reality can't be hidden behind the rhetoric that "its an entirely different show."

This show is toast. If you look at the upcoming guest stars it confirms it. Tiki Barber and Maria Menounos are the special guest stars in the remaining episodes. They are both Today show correspondents which means NBC didn't want to fork over the money for real guest stars so they just threw in these together. I mean Tiki Barber? Get real. Good thing its getting canned otherwise we could end up with Al Roker and Kathie Lee Gifford, both Today show correspondents, as KR guest stars!

Since I'll probably get banned again b/c the mods don't like contrasting opinions let's just say I for one am glad that KR08 is getting the axe. I'd rather have no KR then a crappy interpretation. They've had 3 chances to get it right and it isn't happening. I don't know if its the deal b/w Ford, whether GST doesn't get it, whether NBC doesn't get it, who knows. The bottom line is that no one cares about making this show good. All they care about is throwing a mish mash of things together and we got as one poster perfectly pointed out, some kind of mystery meat which is more SPAM than real quality protein. Its sad that some of you fans are so desperate for anything KR that you'd support this version which spits on the whole essence of Knight Rider. Good day all.

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:18 pm

Knight-Armen wrote:
If you don't like a show, don't watch it. I don't like reality TV, but do I go around telling people to support canceling those shows? NO. If you don't like it, go watch something else. Stop acting like little kids and destroying what is left for those who enjoy it to actually watch it. The new KR might not be your taste, and I respect that, but it does not mean that you can tell people to support cancellation because you don't like it. I have very high standards for TV shows I watch, but when I saw the two hour pilot, I did see it's flaws and weaknesses in some areas, and if I see too many I'd not watch the show, but I loved KI3T, and continued watching it. I hardly even saw TOS, and I still enjoyed it. I even have some friends in the high school I go to who also enjoy watching KR.
I think you're missing the point. If people really do hate the show why did they even bother becoming a member of KRO only to bash it? The members of KRO are all highly devoted Knight Rider fans. Not Knight Rider fans of TOS or KR08 but Knight Rider fans! Therefore you can't really say that people are haters because they dislike som aspect of the show. A part of bashing the show is to me a way of criticising the show in a negative fashion, not because I think it's fun to bash it but because I care so much about it and for it's success that I acutally will spend a few hours of my day coming to this community to discuss it. Having said that, doesn't mean we want the show cancelled. We want the writers and producers to take our demands into consideration and what better way to do it than in a forum? A forum will always have positive and negative comments and that's really what makes it worth hanging around discussing about it. If everything we say is positive then how can we have a debate. We need to discuss on what's good and bad about the show to reach an understanding.

Point being, we're not haters! Haters are people who spam this forum and mock us for discussing this show. Those people are usually "discarded" or banned by the moderator. We're all fans and wish the show to improve and progress, not haters...
Except that there's people here that clearly don't want any kind of improvement they simply want the show canned along with the franchise as a whole...

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:56 am

Well, then that's different. Although I don't think there are that many who wants the show along with the whole franchise to end. I think we're dealing with various types of disappointment towards the new show.
In the end of the day I think everyone would like to have a flawless season of Knight Rider.
Michael: Kitt what matters to me is who you are not what you look like. Sure we don't have the car so we can't turbo boost so we can't go over 200 miles an hour but it was all icing on the cake anyway

Shapeshifter
FLAG Recruit

Post by Shapeshifter » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:51 am

Knight-Armen wrote:Well, then that's different. Although I don't think there are that many who wants the show along with the whole franchise to end. I think we're dealing with various types of disappointment towards the new show.
In the end of the day I think everyone would like to have a flawless season of Knight Rider.
I think this is a bit of an Oxymoron.

Flawless to whom? The original show certainly wasn't flawless. And, you HAVE to update it, but how much? Anybody's vision for the show is sure to displease someone, but at the end of the day, someone has to take the reins and make a TV show. And then it becomes a stationary target for anyone with a computer and a dream.

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:56 am

Knight-Armen wrote:Well, then that's different. Although I don't think there are that many who wants the show along with the whole franchise to end. I think we're dealing with various types of disappointment towards the new show.
I want this series to end for the reasons I've mentioned. They had 3 chances and it doesn't seem to be going right. I liked what I saw in the new clip but somehow I think they'll still manage to eff it up. How many more opportunities do they need to have to emulate a show that was about a talking car?

I don't want the franchise to end. I'm all for keeping KR alive IF ITS A GOOD PRODUCT!! But if its not, then put it out of its misery.

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:23 am

I think this is a bit of an Oxymoron.

Flawless to whom? The original show certainly wasn't flawless. And, you HAVE to update it, but how much? Anybody's vision for the show is sure to displease someone, but at the end of the day, someone has to take the reins and make a TV show. And then it becomes a stationary target for anyone with a computer and a dream.
Who is to say that TOS is flawless? I didn't say it was! All I'm saying is that everyone would like a flawless season of Knight Rider. Now, what you consider to be flawless I might not and vice versa. PunkMaister said that there are people in this forum who wants the show canned along with the franchise and all I'm implying is that there are various types of likes and dislikes in this forum. I bet you yourself would like some things changed in the show. If not then if you would be the director of this series I bet you would have done it differently than GST (given that you haven't seen GST's version of it).
How many Knight Rider fans do you know of who'd like to end the franchise? I'm guessing very few (if none)!
How many Knight Rider fans do you know of who'd like GST's version to end? I'm guessing a lot more!
Michael: Kitt what matters to me is who you are not what you look like. Sure we don't have the car so we can't turbo boost so we can't go over 200 miles an hour but it was all icing on the cake anyway

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant

Post by CJaguar442 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:36 am

give the new series a chance dude
knight rider will never die :mrgreen: :kitt:
Re-elect Mayor Goldie wilson, Progress is his middle name!
Save the Clocktower!
Go Boston Red Sox! Go Boston Bruins! Go Boston Celtics!
Go the distance and he will come!