Live Discussion - Knight to King's Pawn

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Live Discussion - Knight to King's Pawn

Post by weeezl » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:11 pm

arhskr81 wrote:If you go back and watch the holo recording, Dr. G says that it is supposed to play "ONLY" if they succeed.
Sounds to me like he already knew something.........

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:36 pm

Why did they have to ruin the episode by throwing in a nun-to-subtle sex scene??

Sarah sitting on Mike grinding her hips under the sheets!?

What the hell are the producers thinking now? they didn't learn the first time??

I guess they're not aiming for the family demographic.

What was that ramp thing Kitt jumped off to do the grappling hook and flip move?
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Knight_uk
Volunteer

Post by Knight_uk » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:18 pm

From watching the pre-vis on youtube I believe that ramp is the remains of what look like a gas station. It wasn't shown in the episode but in the pre-vis KARR rammed some posts that were supporting what looked like a gas station roof and it collapsed. I believe this is what Mike and KITT used to do the jump. I completely agree on your opinion of the sex scene it wasnt neccessary at all, just another of GST's great(lol) ideas. It is meant to be a family show IMO as was the original and I believe if any UK TV company brings KR08 to the UK it wont be shown before 9pm due to the amount of unneccessary T&A foisted upon our eyes by that man.

:kittconv2:
MK: All these buttons and gadgets and there's no radio?
K.I.T.T.: What would you like to hear?

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:40 pm

Knight_uk wrote:completely agree on your opinion of the sex scene it wasnt neccessary at all, just another of GST's great(lol) ideas. It is meant to be a family show IMO as was the original and I believe if any UK TV company brings KR08 to the UK it wont be shown before 9pm due to the amount of unneccessary T&A foisted upon our eyes by that man.

:kittconv2:
Yea, that scene could have been done completely differently.

They could have panned the shot from the outside of a closed bedroom door, slowly following a trail of clothes back along the floor to the ringing phone...

Message put across successfully without the flesh on show (although what great body Deanna has... ). Although from a character point of view, theres no way Mike should have taken advantage of Sarah during her grief...

Why was there no mention of FLAG 'trustees' before Sarah was given all those funds? Another character should have been introduced as a means of Sarah getting the funds, rather than Dr G just straight passing them on to her with no consultation with anyone else

That part niggled me a bit.

The VFX guys did a fantastic job though and I get the overall impression that ep 12 was written directly for us. It seemed to contain everything we've been asking for since the start. Turbo boost in 'normal mode', cast trimmed down, the return of Ski mode, FLAG getting some serious mention.

I like the way Billy was with Zoe too, taking control of the situation. Hopefully Billy's role will be more assertive now as a result of that.

Definitely looking forward to the rest of the series

Q..
Volunteer

Post by Q.. » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:14 pm

To All Fans of The Original Series:

The first three episodes of the "Reboot" of Knight Rider (The Two-Parter and the KITT vs. KARR) are actually ONE EPISODE.

What you have to realize is that the "Knight to Kings Pawn" episode explains the resurrection of the Knight Foundation and the FBI's relationship to it as explained at the end of The Movie Pilot "Prometheus" when Charles Graiman was in the limousine going to the funeral. As a government run operation, the SSC was different than the privately operated "Knight Foundation" in the original series. The "Reboot" is to get back to roots of The Original Knight Rider with a more lean cast of 4 human characters who now continue Wilton Knight's original mission of the foundation.

As far as my theory of what happened to the original KARR and KITT:

If you notice how it is always mentioned in The New Knight Rider that KARR is KITT's predecessor as is mentioned in The Original Series episode "Trust Doesn't Rust". What is perceived as an inconsistency is actually not, if you realize that The Knight Industries Three Thousand microprocessor is actually the original The Knight Industries Two Thousand microprocessor; and that the new KARR is the original KARR.

In other words, the core processor of the original Knight Industries Two Thousand "IS" The Knight Industries Three Thousand. Charles Graiman never created another KITT nor KARR, he simply "Reconditioned" them.

The original KARR was reconditioned for military use.

The original KITT's "memory" was reconditioned because of its bond with the original Michael Knight. When Devon Miles died of cancer, The Knight Foundation was dissolved, Michael Knight and Bonnie left, and Charles Graiman took possession of KITT (and also being given control of the Knight Foundation's funds).

KITT had difficulty dealing with its separation from Michael and with the fact that it no longer had a purpose. So when Charles Graiman deactivated KITT, he caused KITT to "forget" by "formatting" KITT's original memory (while keeping a backup copy of all of KITT's original personality and memories - everything that make KITT "KITT").

When KITT was "rebooted" as The Knight Industries Three Thousand, he still had his core programming of "preserving human life" intact.

Charles Grainman tried to reconstitute KARR's original programming to control KARR, but when KARR developed a "free will" in "KITT vs. KARR" he almost became completely self-aware by being able to self-program. But KARR's original function to serve his master (having need of a pilot), is the reason why he said that he must have Michael Knight in "Knight to Kings Pawn" (without Torres, KARR couldn't function independently - in other words KARR is an interdependent A.I., having need of a human operator in order to become complete).

As far as the "Knight to Kings Pawn" episode, it was an introduction to KARR's resurrection.

I believe that KARR's "self-preservation" programming caused KARR to download itself into the Internet (before destruction) with the memory of KITT doing the same before he was unplugged.

The reason why KARR's exoskeleton was so easily destroyed was because KARR's nanotechnology was compromised and couldn't heal itself when Michael harpooned KARR's exoskeleton with KITT's grappling hook and destroyed part of it when Michael snatched Torres out of the cockpit. The gap in KARR's chest left KARR open to attack, and Michael, having regained his memory, new the exoskeleton's weaknesses, and Turbo Boosted KITT into KARR.

As for the battle, it was live action, Michael had to take KARR out quickly because he was fighting KARR with KITT's limited capacities and he knew how dangerous KARR was with the ability to self-program and change himself to any form of artillery vehicle with the ability to create any type of weapon.
Q

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:38 pm

Q.. wrote:
In other words, the core processor of the original Knight Industries Two Thousand "IS" The Knight Industries Three Thousand. Charles Graiman never created another KITT nor KARR, he simply "Reconditioned" them.
Nice in theory but then GST said at comic con that the 2 kitts could appear side by side...

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:52 pm

So we have the basic formula we where left with from season 4 of TOS.

The question becomes how the four positions will be assigned.

Will Sarah be the new bonnie, or the new Devon? and if the later, who will be Kitts mechanic?

I can't help thinking that the fact we saw Zoe climb out from under Kitt at the end might be a clue.

I'm thinking this...

MK = MK
Sarah = Devon role
Zoe = Bonnie role
Billy = not really RC3 replacement, but he;ll be the tech guy that runs the Kitt Cave.
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:36 pm

Rockatteer wrote:
I'm thinking this...

MK = MK
Sarah = Devon role
Zoe = Bonnie role
Billy = not really RC3 replacement, but he;ll be the tech guy that runs the Kitt Cave.
I'd swap Billy and Zoe around..

Zoe is the RC3 role, Billy is Bonnie...

Although number of cast is the same, the chararcter relationships are not directly comparable. Sarah is more like Bonnie in the way she 'cares' for Ki3t, although now technically shes working in Devon's role

calhoun24
Recruit

Post by calhoun24 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:49 am

A decent episode. I wished the battle was longer, as we all do, but what we got was acceptable.

I agree that there should have been some mention of whether or not this was the original KARR CPU from the bridge, but it was mostly inferred, so I'll let it slide.

Also, when I saw Sarah access her swiss bank account, and her jaw dropped, I was floored, and I'm presuming the number kept growing during the commercial, probably to the number of nearly a billion.

I also liked the hologram. Great plot device to possible bring back Charles from time to time.

I now it feel like we really have the old dynamic back from TOS.

And also, in the back of my mind, I thought that wherever Wilton is, he's smiling, seeing that his dream and spirit lives again.
"One man can make a difference." - Wilton Knight
Long live Wilton's dream and F.L.A.G.!

BobbyYoung82
Volunteer

Post by BobbyYoung82 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:20 am

I have been a fan of KR for atleast 15 years. I have all the episodes and still love watching them.

I also agree with Stranger's post explaining how things are or came to be, it really makes alot of sense.

I think this last episode was one of the best. We got references to the original which is always nice. Of course the battle was to short we all agree on that and it should have been a 2 part show.

I also think this is a great time to fix things that need to be fixed.
- NO MORE TRANSFORMER - keep your attack mode or SPM, but NO trucks, vans, SUV's, crossovers.... no submarines, no boats. KITT has to have limitations. Any good "character" has to have flaws.

The original for the most part was believeable except for SPM and one episode where he could drive on water, but I can even accept that since KITT can be air tight. Lose the Super Fake impossible goodies.

MAYBE thats what KITT forgot, how to transform (we could only hope). or it was irreversibly damaged in the fight wtih KARR. I loved the fact that KITT spent the whole episode in NORMAL mode.

LOL seems more like a rant and I don't mean for that. I just don't want to see and more of TRANSFORMER KITT and start seeing KITT with gadgets show up. He doesn't need to be able to destroy an Army.

Again.. Great episode, back to the basics is just what the show needs, develop characters and build bonds.

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:46 am

I've just noticed something in the background that may add something to the "this is original KARR" theory. Go back and watch the scene as KARR transforms and starts to pull back the curtains. You can see on back screen (just behind his legs) a monitor with his original scanner working. Not that this means anything at all.

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:25 am

sarfraz wrote:I've just noticed something in the background that may add something to the "this is original KARR" theory. Go back and watch the scene as KARR transforms and starts to pull back the curtains. You can see on back screen (just behind his legs) a monitor with his original scanner working. Not that this means anything at all.

Sarfraz
Really? Anyone got a screen grab?
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

BobbyYoung82
Volunteer

Post by BobbyYoung82 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:42 am

First time posting a screen shot... I hope it works

Well its not as clear as it looked on my screen :) but The scanner moves back and forth on the monitor and looks like the one from the original Trans Am version :karr:
Congratulations. You have successfully signed the petition: Save Knight Rider Signer # 2237

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:15 am

Thanks dude and welcome to the board. Once I saw that, I did go back and look at the other screens in the background around KARR but couldn't pick up anything useful.

Sarfraz
Last edited by sarfraz on Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lauzzy81
Recruit

Post by Lauzzy81 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:16 am

Coool very nice find ;)

I believe that it is the original KARR! As we all know, we dont know what happend to KARR's cpu at the end of "KvK" in the original show! My theori is that maybe that Knight Research & Development retrieved the cpu and Charles tryed to reprogrammed it and he almost succeded!

As I can understand KARR was used in Iraq and Mike was he's driver, but something went wrong again with his programming and he was shut down, but the government still wants to use KARR, but Charles was in the way of that!

So Torres was actually in charge of the KARR program, but used the SCC and KI3T to see how good Charles' AI (Ki3T) was doing!

I still see the new show as a contiuation off the original series, offcourse it has some flaws and some qeustions that need's to be answered!

Like for exampel what happend to original KI2T, my oppionion is that KI3T is our original KI2T that have been opgraded and reprogrammed (but stil have my hopes that we will get an explanation what happend to KI2T)

I'm looking forward to the rest of the episodes to how they will resurrect the Foundation!

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:47 am

Ironically I don't think we have enough information to connect all the dots up yet.

The pilot suggests that KI3T and KI2T are different entities. Different personalities and experiences would suggest this. KARR, we don't know enough about. Poor storytelling has left that open ended for us, unless that was the storytellers intention. Maybe another KARR episode would bridge all this together but thats dependant on the continuation of this series :|

Sarfraz

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant

Post by CJaguar442 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:51 am

bring back the hoff and the knight 2000
Re-elect Mayor Goldie wilson, Progress is his middle name!
Save the Clocktower!
Go Boston Red Sox! Go Boston Bruins! Go Boston Celtics!
Go the distance and he will come!

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant

Post by CJaguar442 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:54 am

I like the direction the new knight rider is going. However I never missed an episode but the KARR episode was too short, had too many plot holes and it should of been a two parter, typical NBC six sigma stupidity. All in all it was an awesome episode. Excellent bash David Hasselhoff when he pitched the new knight rider to NBC and NBC stabs him in the back. On a second note, having David Hasselhoff and KI2T fight along side Michael Knight JR and KI3T would help save the series and be a ratings bonanza. Since NBC proved that this is a remake trying to be a sequel to the original series and that they are in league with Ford that would never happen. Even though it’s a 1982 Pontiac Trans Am and Gm has not made the Pontiac Trans AM since 2002.
Re-elect Mayor Goldie wilson, Progress is his middle name!
Save the Clocktower!
Go Boston Red Sox! Go Boston Bruins! Go Boston Celtics!
Go the distance and he will come!

Bushwacka
Stranger

Post by Bushwacka » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:05 am

Regarding Alex Torres: after the fight when Michael checks on him, is it just me or does he say, "Shut up, Adam"? Someone else told me he's probably saying "Shut up, man", and he may be right, but I keep playing that part over and over again and every time I'm definitely hearing 2 syllables in that word.

Nobody else here seems to have questioned it, but please tell me I'm not the only one who's hearing this! :?:

cazman101
Rookie

Post by cazman101 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:48 am

your 100% right he does say "shut up Adam" or it really sounds like thats what he's saying i turned it up loud and played it and it really doesn't have to be loud as he says it clearly.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:14 pm

I just have a few things i questioned in this episode:

1.When Sarah and Mike were holding Jack Hurst at gunpoint and made him reveal where kitt is,why didn't he immideitly warn Are51 of the possible break in?

2.When Mike,Zoe,Billy, break into the kitt cave,Mike says don't turn on the regular power or else they will know someone's here.He suggests the backup generator.Sarah used an emergency entrance to get into the kitt cave.Why didn't that trigger some alarm with whoever is supposed to monitor the cave for activity?

3.The use of Torez in Karr chest compartment as a driver seemed unnecessary.I don't think Torez ever had any experience in Karr and I doubt he used guns to fire on Kitt and Mike.Karr could have worked alone from what I could tell.The theory someone had of just keeping him inside since he is in command seems more logical.Unless there was a reason later on whu Karr would require Mike for driving him.

4. When Mike Broke Kitt out,and all the Area 51 soldiers were firing on him,why weren't the bullets piercing through the car?The nanoskin was still offline.

BlueChaos
FLAG Recruit

Post by BlueChaos » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:19 pm

Answer:
1. Plot hole. Or maybe Jack was being stupid.
2. No one was monitoring the SSC. SSC itself was the monitor.
3. True, I dunno why KARR needs Torres inside him to be able to operate properly.
4. It was online, but maybe it could only take minimal amount of damage. KARR's guns probably had a larger calibre rounds and thus was able to penetrate KITT's damaged nanoskin. That, or another plot hole.
"If Darth Vader had a KITT bathroom, then he would have ruled the galaxy far far away since a long long time ago..." *LASER!* :good:

Q..
Volunteer

Post by Q.. » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:51 pm

pheonix_knight wrote:
Q.. wrote:
Nice in theory but then GST said at comic con that the 2 kitts could appear side by side...
To Phoenix Knight,

Until "Knight To Kings Pawn", KITT's "neural net" microprocessor was never seen. Before this episode, I never realized that "KITT" is actually a software program, I thought that KITT was "hardware". In "Knight of The Living Dead", Charles Graiman reveals that there were only three "neural nets" that could support all of KITT's files - KITT's, KARR's, and the backup neural net that KITT was uploaded into from the Internet in "Knight To Kings Pawn".

When KITT said that Charles Graiman was his father, KITT meant that Charles Graiman created his program; which says that Charles Graiman did not create the neural net microprocessors. This explains why there are only three neural net microprocessors and not an army of Autobots, because the secret to the neural nets design was hidden along with the bullet-proof formula by Wilton Knight.

So it is possible that both KITT's could co-exist if the original program was uploaded into the back-up neural net.
Q

Lynda414
FLAG Assistant

Post by Lynda414 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:39 pm

Okay, this may just be me. I rewatched the ep and I still feel this way, so... Everyone remember at the end of this episode where Charles inspires everyone to remake FLAG and everything?

OKay, well then Sarah and Mike hug and Zoe and Billy hug, and then there is the slow pan over to KITT. I couldn't help feeling really bummed out. KITT has no one to hug him! He was just standing there watching everyone else hug and his scan bar is moving real slow. That seemed like such a sad ending to me.

Is it just me?

snafu
FLAG Recruit

Post by snafu » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:41 pm

Awesome episode! I finally got around to watching it and my internet kept crapping out, but AWESOME! I think my backside is numb from sitting in the laundry room watching this.

I don't think KARR got enough air time but I was impressed with the nod to TOS.... Kitt jumping into Karr, the flaming parts left all over the desert. I did do a happy endzone dance up and down the aisle between the washers when I heard Peter Cullen's voice.

I don't think the nookie right at the beginning was necessary (could have done it in shadows or panned out a bit) but it does add an edge to Sarah, her getting smashed and then seeking to distract herself with something else.
Heaven, where all QC only has to be run once.