Could FORD wind up saving Knight Rider?

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

knightofthephoenix
Operative

Could FORD wind up saving Knight Rider?

Post by knightofthephoenix » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:54 pm

I'm wondering if the blatant FORD advertising we’ve all come to love so much in this series might actually help its chances?

I'm not sure it would, but considering everything going on with Detroit right now, is it possibility?

Lynda414
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Could FORD wind up saving Knight Rider?

Post by Lynda414 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:58 pm

Is FORD paying enough to keep the show going?

Faithful Car KRO
FLAG Recruit

Post by Faithful Car KRO » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:04 pm

Lynda414 wrote:Is FORD paying enough to keep the show going?
I'm under the belief that FORD is the only reason KR is still on the air.
"Michael, I agree with your earlier assessment, back-up plans suck."- KI3T
Put the word out!
WATCH THE SHOW!!!: Wed at 8:00pm on NBC.
Its getting better and gaining ratings, AWESOME!!

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:20 pm

Faithful Car KRO wrote:
Lynda414 wrote:Is FORD paying enough to keep the show going?
I'm under the belief that FORD is the only reason KR is still on the air.
That's my opinion as well. I think the sole reason KR has gotten this far is b/c of the Ford deal. I'm convinced that if there was no Ford deal, KR would've been canceled a long time ago.

knightofthephoenix
Operative

Post by knightofthephoenix » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:36 pm

That was along the lines of what I was wondering, that maybe the fact that Ford is involved and it is advertising might give it more leverage based on what's been going on with Detroit. I have to believe there's some politics at work here too, no?

Lynda414
FLAG Assistant

Post by Lynda414 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:38 pm

So, do we know if Ford will sponser a second season?

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:42 pm

Considering that Ford can't even save themselves at the moment.. they went begging to the government to save their sorry asses.. I don't think they're in any position to be backing a TV show...

Sorry to be harsh, but that's the reality of things at the moment. :(
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:48 pm

Rockatteer wrote:Considering that Ford can't even save themselves at the moment.. they went begging to the government to save their sorry asses.. I don't think they're in any position to be backing a TV show...

If economics is all that come into play here then K.R given the kind of show it is has no chance whatsoever to survive and all we will have left on TV land is cheaply, horribly made reality shows I'm hoping that is not the case...

MR2NR
FLAG Recruit

Post by MR2NR » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:48 pm

Well they got part of a bailout :D I wonder if it has any clauses about advertising with all the auto makers advertising so much you would think they where as strong as ever. :roll:

I'd say Fords only contribution to the series is the vehicles and parts but I could be wrong.
K.R.A.M. Knight Reformulation Automated Machine 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo.

To the people who made the Knight Rider Festival possible especially Paul Casey. Thank You! See you all and more in 2012 :kitt2:

Mathyus
Rookie

Post by Mathyus » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:54 pm

Well, I do not know what Ford has paid into the show, but I am glad that they did. Also, Ford did not get any of the bail out money.
End of line program... -MCP-

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:57 pm

Well think of it in terms of the parties involved. If I were Ford, at the very least, I would want a variety of Ford products to be featured on the show, the show to run for as long as possible since its advertising my products, and at lowest possible cost to me. If I were NBC I would want to restrict Ford's creative influence as much as possible, have the option to cancel the show if the ratings are too low, and get as much money from Ford as I possibly can for placing their products on my show. You figure a compromise deal would include something along the lines of what we got. NBC having control to renew/cancel the show but instead of placing it in a death slot it gets put in the middle of the week primetime to give it a fair chance at securing viewership. Now that its run its course and the ratings aren't there NBC has carte blanche to cancel it. Ford can't really claim that it didn't get viewers b/c it was in a poor timeslot.

Two things that tipped me off as to Ford's influence is KR being placed on a Wed night at 8 when a show like this is meant to be on a weekend night, even TOS was on a Friday/Sunday nights I believe. It just can't compete with the reality shows and dramas that are on Mon-Thurs. And the dash which retained the essence of the stock dash with minimal modifications. I don't expect the cheesy 80s dash, but something more along the lines of concept cars which have dashes that are smooth and clean and internally lit - like an iPhone. I think the reason the dash wasn't heavily modified is b/c Ford wouldn't allow it. Also notice the GT500KR logos which are prominently on display especially the headrests. These aren't coincidences, they are probably written into the contract.

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant

Post by tamatt27 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:14 pm

Rockatteer wrote:Considering that Ford can't even save themselves at the moment.. they went begging to the government to save their sorry asses.. I don't think they're in any position to be backing a TV show...

Ford did not get any money from the gov't-backed loans! They leveraged ALL of their assets months before the economic downturn, so they don't need cash (in terms on liquidity) at the moment. They went to Washington with GM and Chrysler because "We're here because GM's here." If GM were to fail, it would be a ripple effect throughout the entire auto industry and the economy. Ford doesn't want GM to fail, so they came to support their fellow auto manufacturers.
KNIGHT RIDER RELOADED is a series of movies on Youtube to represent a different creative avenue to the Knight Rider we knew in 2008-09.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tamatt27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jaimetheking
Operative

Post by jaimetheking » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:20 pm

Ford is also a sponsor for American Idol. Would they help KR if they now have Idol in the same time slot?

B.R.O
Recruit

Post by B.R.O » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:59 pm

Ford being involved with their money is propably the main reason why they even made the new Knight Rider show in the first place, and they are paying a SIGNIFICANT part of the production costs.

Looking at how it's generally going for the car industy in the U.S (screwed unless they get billions upon billions to save their sorry incompetent asses) I'd say it's pretty unlikely Ford is going to sponsor a second season unless they allready have a contract about it or they get the attention to their products they want realatively cheap, making NBC have to cough up more of the production costs themselves, or just simply significantly lowering the productioncosts. I guess they could lower the costs if they went for a verry similar concept they had in the original series with a lot less specifically built up sets and less special effects, this ofcourse would put up a lot more focus on KI3T and possibly get Ford's to cough up the money to keep the show going.

So If we're going to see a second season we're definetly going to have quite a lot less special effects and more scenes filmed at everyday sites like in the original show. If you think about it, the original show had verry little specifically constructed sets like the KI3T cave (what had its' place in the original show was mainly the simplistic back-of-the-FLAG-truck set).

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant

Post by tamatt27 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:14 pm

B.R.O wrote:Looking at how it's generally going for the car industy in the U.S (screwed unless they get billions upon billions to save their sorry incompetent asses)
I'd read into a subject before jumping to a poorly-worded and uninformed conclusion.
As for the KR bit, I agree on all other points. I do hope that the dismantling of the SSC brings down overhead costs of the show.
KNIGHT RIDER RELOADED is a series of movies on Youtube to represent a different creative avenue to the Knight Rider we knew in 2008-09.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tamatt27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KnightINSTINCT
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightINSTINCT » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:15 pm

Ford brings the cars. It's not like they are paying the writers.

This thread is bleak themed. The only thing that is going to save Knight Rider is Knight Rider.

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:21 pm

KnightINSTINCT wrote:The only thing that is going to save Knight Rider is Knight Rider.
Agreed. If KR doesn't get enough viewers, and Ford just gives money to NBC, they're not going to just keep it on. They are going to have to do something to promote the show. KR hardly get any sort of promotion, and I've been watching NBC more frequently to see if they are promoting KR. Guess what? They hardly ever do. If we want KR to keep going, we will have to take this into our own hands, and start helping by promoting the show. If they can see that they have a dedicated fan base, maybe they will care more. I once asked some of my friends if they saw KR on New Year's Eve, and what they all told me was "I thought Knight Rider was cancelled." And that's why KR is low in the ratings. And with the economy, and all the Big Three compaines asking for money from the government bailout, where is Ford(which is obviously one of the big three), going to get the money to support KR?

Plus, I have to give part of the blame the haters of this show. They are going everywhere, and tearing down the fun the show brings to those who like it. Such as the trolls of AICN, IMDB, even the ones that come to KRO, and NBC's own KR forum. They're giving a bad word to this show, and it's turning people off. Even the members of it's own fandom are bashing it.

I'm beginning to wonder, am I just being a broken record, or am I actually saying something?
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

t.b.77b
Operative

Post by t.b.77b » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:36 pm

Sky_Blue_Civic wrote:
KnightINSTINCT wrote:The only thing that is going to save Knight Rider is Knight Rider.
Agreed. If KR doesn't get enough viewers, and Ford just gives money to NBC, they're not going to just keep it on. They are going to have to do something to promote the show. KR hardly get any sort of promotion, and I've been watching NBC more frequently to see if they are promoting KR. Guess what? They hardly ever do. If we want KR to keep going, we will have to take this into our own hands, and start helping by promoting the show. If they can see that they have a dedicated fan base, maybe they will care more. I once asked some of my friends if they saw KR on New Year's Eve, and what they all told me was "I thought Knight Rider was cancelled." And that's why KR is low in the ratings. And with the economy, and all the Big Three compaines asking for money from the government bailout, where is Ford(which is obviously one of the big three), going to get the money to support KR?

Plus, I have to give part of the blame the haters of this show. They are going everywhere, and tearing down the fun the show brings to those who like it. Such as the trolls of AICN, IMDB, even the ones that come to KRO, and NBC's own KR forum. They're giving a bad word to this show, and it's turning people off. Even the members of it's own fandom are bashing it.

I'm beginning to wonder, am I just being a broken record, or am I actually saying something?
I agree with you Sky NBC and KR have to do better to get a secound season.
Save the series! Save the world!
Tell you friends to tune in Wednesdays at 8 p.m.

Knight94
Operative

Post by Knight94 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:03 am

Here's what I think will help KR08: 1. Stop relying too heavily upon the "terrorist of the week" theme, and
include more of the "one man can make a difference" theme. 2. Move the show to Friday nite, as having
it run on Wednesdays is actually hurting it. 3. Stop letting all the bashers have so much pull. They do have
the right to their opinion, but they are determined to kill KR08, because it's not the original. The producers
need to put something out there to draw the viewers in, and downplay the bashing. It's not really Ford, or any
other automaker that would make or break the show. It's these three things, maybe a few more, that will
help KR08.

knight_Sam
Recruit

Post by knight_Sam » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:15 am

Hi All,

I am from India & a die hard FAN of KITT I have the complete original series & all episodes of the current series I think what you all are saying makes sense if NBC can also start a global telecast in partnership with other channels it can increase the viewer ship for the show & that too will help keep it alive I would hate to see KITT go off air again I think NBC should have more faith in the show & the producers should have faith in themselves & the concept of KITT as this can go a long way they can bring back Goliath restart FLAG get David back as the new Devon get the juggernaut back lots of possibilities to keep KITT alive people I an really thankfull to you all for uploading the episodes so that people like me can watch it in India. NBC DO NOT LET KITT DIE AGAIN Guys lets do what ever it takes to keep KITT alive :kitt: You rock KITT

lunchmeat
FLAG Recruit

Post by lunchmeat » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:23 pm

Has anyone considered that the show, before the reboot, was all contractual? I'm not sure if Ford has a huge stake in the show anymore, after the reboot. Thinking about it, it would be logical for Ford to have a large stake in the first few episodes for advertising purposes - they, they leave the show to sink or swim.

I think this is probably where the "transformation" idea came from - KI3T was able to transform into a lot of Ford vehicles. It was probably part of the contract, in order for Ford to get its advertising time. The reboot may have been a result of that portion of the contract expiring, or something. Now, all they have to do is provide some Mustangs, which they have done.

That said, I'm not sure if Ford's current investment in this show is as large a factor as it was before. Now that the advertisement is more or less over, it's up to NBC and the KR writers to get the job done.
If I am destroyed... ...so shall you be. -KARR

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:54 pm

lunchmeat wrote:Has anyone considered that the show, before the reboot, was all contractual? I'm not sure if Ford has a huge stake in the show anymore, after the reboot. Thinking about it, it would be logical for Ford to have a large stake in the first few episodes for advertising purposes - they, they leave the show to sink or swim.

I think this is probably where the "transformation" idea came from - KI3T was able to transform into a lot of Ford vehicles. It was probably part of the contract, in order for Ford to get its advertising time. The reboot may have been a result of that portion of the contract expiring, or something. Now, all they have to do is provide some Mustangs, which they have done.

That said, I'm not sure if Ford's current investment in this show is as large a factor as it was before. Now that the advertisement is more or less over, it's up to NBC and the KR writers to get the job done.
Good point, its quite possible. I think the key thing is how much influence Ford had on this show. When people were wondering why KITT still had stock speedo gauges, the dash retained much of the Mustang styling, or that the GT500KR logos seem to be very obvious the simple explanation is that these things were due to Ford's influence and were almost certainly in the contract b/w them and NBC.