Huge letdown about Peter Cullen voiceover

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Re: Huge letdown about Peter Cullen voiceover

Post by FuzzieDice » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:41 am

I too loved Paul Frees' version of KARR. But like Mike Knight above, I wanted Peter Cullen over anyone else because he was the original KARR and he's able to do the part.

Also, it's been over 25 years now since Peter voiced KARR. He has had a lot more voice acting experience since then. And I think because of all this, he will do great reprising his role of KARR. Sure KARR sounded nieve and computer-like in TDR. But too, that's the way the writers created the character at the time and that's what Peter had to work with. Now he has to work with a transforming robot out to get KITT. So I think we can expect that Peter is going to do a more evil, menecing version. I loved his work as Optimus Prime in the Transformers movie. I have seen what he's capable of. Believe me, I'm very excited about his reprising the role of KARR and am very sure that, like weeezl said, I won't be disappointed! :)

ElectricPhantom
Rookie
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by ElectricPhantom » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:56 am

Mike Knight wrote: That line is yet another "giveaway" that it's the same AI. It represents a deep-seeded hatred for KITT, from a history together. If it were a new AI, this would not be probable. Granted, KARR never faced the K3000, but just based on the acronyms being the same, KARR would probably (at first) assume that this KITT is the K2000 in a new body.
I'm simply going to say that I hope you are right. I can't see it going over well with some new AI.

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:26 pm

Well I have to say from that preiview I thought peter cullen doing the voice sounded really cool.
Wonder if the wpisode will also explain more between then and now in the KR world?

roboknome
Stranger

Post by roboknome » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:58 pm

See they actually do for once throw us original and fans of the new a bone and still you ppl complain.
I am not trying to sound mean but come on guys first you complain they are not following any of the mythology and now that they have the original car voice back you are downing that. there just is no pleasing you ppl. :kittside:

Lynda414
FLAG Assistant

Post by Lynda414 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:02 pm

You can't please every single person. That's what it is.

MikeBKnight
Rookie

Post by MikeBKnight » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:16 pm

I'm VERY happy that Peter Cullen is back as KARR, I don't care what he sounds like. They could've picked thousands of people to voice KARR, but they picked the right one IMO. Now, seeing KARR as a robot, is something differently entirely. All I can say is, I hope they show him as a car (mustang, or what have you) version for a good amount of time as well.

K2000kid
Operative

Post by K2000kid » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:49 am

I wouldn't call this a let down
This incarnation of KARR is mad as hell and wants revenge
as long as KARR doesn't ask anyone to "direct him to a chicken"
This episode is gonna kick my @ss
Theres no reason for increased volume, I'm scanning your interogitives quite satisfactorilly.

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:56 am

FuzzieDice wrote:I too loved Paul Frees' version of KARR. But like Mike Knight above, I wanted Peter Cullen over anyone else because he was the original KARR and he's able to do the part.

Also, it's been over 25 years now since Peter voiced KARR. He has had a lot more voice acting experience since then. And I think because of all this, he will do great reprising his role of KARR. Sure KARR sounded nieve and computer-like in TDR. But too, that's the way the writers created the character at the time and that's what Peter had to work with. Now he has to work with a transforming robot out to get KITT. So I think we can expect that Peter is going to do a more evil, menecing version. I loved his work as Optimus Prime in the Transformers movie. I have seen what he's capable of. Believe me, I'm very excited about his reprising the role of KARR and am very sure that, like weeezl said, I won't be disappointed! :)
Me too I cannot believe that some would actually be disapointed that he is the one doing the voiceover what is wrong with people darn it! :x

Mathyus
Rookie

Post by Mathyus » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:19 am

I really think it is great that he is coming back to do this voice.
End of line program... -MCP-

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:38 pm

Mathyus wrote:I really think it is great that he is coming back to do this voice.

Sadly not everybody does, there are obviously quite a few that would rather not see it happen which are the same that want the show dead anyway I suspect so it doesn't really matter...

KnightINSTINCT
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightINSTINCT » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:49 pm

This is the kind of topic that gives me the incentive to where I really wouldn't care if my account on KRO gets suspended for what I'm going to say. Complaints may be more fun and expected to receive more feedback, but this is absolutely ridiculous.

I never wanted KARR to come back. It just doesn't make sense if they go with the formula that he is a poorly programmed prototype, STILL lacking the preservation of human life scenario. But, they did (we think, at least). To the contrary, they bring back the original voice for KARR for some real fun. And you people on here complain? AYFKM?!

Go piss up a rope! This isn't TOS

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:03 pm

It's great he's coming back,if he wasn't I would have been totally cool with the guy they used for some of those backdoor pilot promos, I just kind of wish the sound department would have tweaked his voice in a similar fashion to what was done in the original series. Of course that's an issue I have with Kilmer/KITT too but it still just feels like the voice is detached from the car to me. It's much better than the pilot though.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

TwilightPro101
Recruit

Post by TwilightPro101 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:14 pm

Looking forward to seeing Cullen return to voice K.A.R.R.

knightprobe89
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightprobe89 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:58 pm

what letdown? i listened to the voiceover and it sounds just like it did in the original series, it's awesome that peter cullen came back to revoice karr :good: :good:
in glen larson we trust.

KnightINSTINCT
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightINSTINCT » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:12 am

PHOENIXZERO wrote:It's great he's coming back,if he wasn't I would have been totally cool with the guy they used for some of those backdoor pilot promos, I just kind of wish the sound department would have tweaked his voice in a similar fashion to what was done in the original series. Of course that's an issue I have with Kilmer/KITT too but it still just feels like the voice is detached from the car to me. It's much better than the pilot though.

NO KIDDING! Okay, and the voice modulator animations, com'on! Can't they at least sync that up? They give us turbo boost and ski mode, and they'll do that with awesome CGI; but they can't seem to animate the orb with Kilmer's voice correctly. LAAAME

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:43 pm

PHOENIXZERO wrote:It's great he's coming back,if he wasn't I would have been totally cool with the guy they used for some of those backdoor pilot promos, I just kind of wish the sound department would have tweaked his voice in a similar fashion to what was done in the original series. Of course that's an issue I have with Kilmer/KITT too but it still just feels like the voice is detached from the car to me. It's much better than the pilot though.
To be honest it sounded to me like KARR in the TOS did but much, much meaner! I do not understand how is that the voice of the actors feel detached from the cars. The voice modulation example really makes little sense to me but probably because I'm so used to Real Player and Media Player waveform schemes when an MP3 etc is being played that I really see no difference...