Ratings for "Day Turns Into Knight"

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

automatedrovingrobot
Volunteer

Re: Ratings for "Day Turns Into Knight"

Post by automatedrovingrobot » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:31 am

Up against American Idol I think these are good numbers. The show started really well but the Obama broadcast really hit it hard and the promotion could definitely be better.
I know that the NBC Executive recently siad they were undecided about KR, but she did not say it was pulled.
I wonder what they think is going to get better ratings in this time slot for the cost they are prodcuing it at - a very hard ask i think.
This is a solid franchise, FORD are backing it to the hilt (and if that continues it will be a hard show to drop), and the additional income on it should be good - I'd say all of us will buy a box set or any other merchadise they produce.
Against another show with the same figures, KR is a better bet because of the FORD money and alos the high demo in the male audience, the big ticket spending class.
The show has really improved, if we could see a bump in the audience it would be a great way to highlight this. But the slide seems to have been averted.

kitt_rulz
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by kitt_rulz » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:44 am

So what is NBC thinking with Knight Rider now?? I mean I heard that Heros was doing bad, however the other day there was a commercial for a new season for it! I agree with alot of the others; since the relaunch it seems to be doing very good and with KARR comming up it looks as if it can only get better. But as long as it is with American Idol that will hurt it.
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all." - God Futurama

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:31 am

Yeah, Heroes has been doing quite poorly in the ratings (though over all still stronger than KR, especially in the all important 18-34 and 18-49 demos) and has been a total mess creatively but they'll promote the hell out of the second half of season three/volume four but there hasn't been an ounce of real promotion for Knight Rider. I think that at this point the Obama issue is moot since even after a month and a half lay off the show came back with a stronger number in total viewers than it left, sans Knight Fever since that was on New Years Eve. If that two million people didn't come back I think it's certainly safe to say now that wasn't just because of the Obamamercial. If anything those people either turned off the TV or they gave up on the show.

One would think that NBC would see a core audience that stuck around through those terrible episodes, a preemption, a couple more bad episodes and then a six week hiatus that ended with in a new episode that at least I expected to be a train wreck (and in some ways it still wasn't great or all that good) and aired on New Year's Eve to a decent rating and then came back the following week with a total viewership that was up nearly 600k from the pre-hiatus episode (not to mention the show that replaced it for one week completely failed during said hiatus) and didn't drop a ton with the American Idol juggernaut. Ratings might be rather "meh" but that's the fault of the powers that be for their bad creative and business decisions and no I don't mean the Ford deal.

The problem is though that it doesn't seem like NBC has an ounce of interest in advertising and trying to expand that. The KARR episode is the PERFECT opening for that but how many promos and other promotion are we going to see? A single 15 second clip during a football game, even a play off game or during other shows NBC has that no one watches isn't enough.

What sucks is that I doubt they'll be able to admit their mistakes and we're going to be the ones taking the blame as well as the viewers that didn't watch.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:27 am

Being 3rd place in the ratings is excellent. And yet people still want it to go higher. KR, since it started, has always averaged around this place and I think this is as good as it gets and IMO, is more than enough to grant a second season.

KR will never be number 1, TOS was only 1. once in it's run.

Drawing/beating Lost has made my day considering I know someone who I don't like loves 'Lost'.

I will be having a smile on my face for days.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

knightendo77
Operative

Post by knightendo77 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:36 am

I agree with the points about the DVD sales etc. Also, the show isn't failing miserably, despite what the press coyotes say. I wish they'd get around to selling it abroad, I remember the first season of Baywatch flopped in the States as the network interferred too much and made it something the creative team didn't want, but when they showed it abroad it was a massive hit. With international funding, Hasselhoff on board as an exec on the show, and a syndicated run in the States so no one network was in control the second season might have taken a longer time than normal to come around but look at what happened! The most watched show in the world.

The thing is, here we have a netowrk trying to make the RIGHT decisions in the first year, to turn this into the show that they know will work. I think they're trying their best production-wise, and are hopeful the ratings will grow to show possible support for a proper season next year. I hope they've been able to see just how loyal those 5+ million are to the show once they had a chance to get into it... there's definite potential there. They just need to add to those numbers as I'm sure the facts are all there that once people "get" it, they stay with it.

Phil.
knightendo77
"I'm a Goofy Goober."

I'm on Bebo - knightendo_phil

tmtcnya
Volunteer

Post by tmtcnya » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:01 am

It doesnt seem like any NBC shows do all that well except for Football KNight in America which they dont have anymore. Again I say, how about a commercial for next weeks episode? it just might help!!

Knight4life
Operative

Post by Knight4life » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:29 am

This has been the best episode for me.Last week's episode was good but it had some cheesy humor parts which partly spoiled the episode for me.But over all this episode was intense through out and had good cliff hangers and less humor the chase in the beginning was good.The Turbo Boost was so much better than last week's.The Stealth Mode is a good addition but i believe the cylon light also needs to TURN OFF in the Stealh Mode.Graiman's death was a bit abrupt.Sarah wasn't able to react in a manner she should have.KR should has been like that since the start.The Ratings are quite low for such a good episode.I believe NBC needs to change there marketing strategy.The should mention that the show's tone has been changed and they are bringing it closer to the original so that the kids can enjoy it as well.I am saying this because my brother in law who resides in the US doesn't watch the new show coz it's a bit inappropriate for kids and watches the TOS with his kids on RTN channel.This is a noticeable factor and if they do the marketing on the manner i propose things will be good for KR hopefully.

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:56 pm

Lynda414 wrote:Ugh, I hate American Idol. And I'm a woman! Straight too! You think I would be all over bad singing and haughty judges, year after year. What am I doing liking a franchise about a talking car kicking ass?
I'm an average, straight teenage girl. I just love the sci-fi genre! And of course, I've loved computers and technology for a long time. I'm also a fan of anthropomorphic(it means non-human things showing human characteristics) characters. :D I only watched AI for two seasons before I got bored with it. KR>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>AI.

Just because you're not the targeted demographic doesn't mean you can't like it! :D
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

Lynda414
FLAG Assistant

Post by Lynda414 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:58 pm

Sky_Blue_Civic wrote:
Lynda414 wrote:Ugh, I hate American Idol. And I'm a woman! Straight too! You think I would be all over bad singing and haughty judges, year after year. What am I doing liking a franchise about a talking car kicking ass?
I'm an average, straight teenage girl. I just love the sci-fi genre! And of course, I've loved computers and technology for a long time. I'm also a fan of anthropomorphic(it means non-human things showing human characteristics) characters. :D I only watched AI for two seasons before I got bored with it. KR>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>AI.
Rawk, that adds another female fan to the tally. ^_^

KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by KITT » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:00 pm

<-- female fan.
Lady: "I bet you're tall, dark, and handsome."
KITT: "I'm definitely dark and handsome, I'm only tall when I'm climbing a steep incline."
http://www.dhasselhoff.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lynda414
FLAG Assistant

Post by Lynda414 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:15 pm

KITT wrote:<-- female fan.
*makes another tally mark*

FordFilly82
Operative

Post by FordFilly82 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:55 pm

Sky_Blue_Civic wrote:

Just because you're not the targeted demographic doesn't mean you can't like it! :D
Yeah! I Mean come on! DAta from ST:TNG?
And the only Season I actually watched was the year Daughtry lost out to Taylor Hicks, (who I voted for, and regret!)
since then I lost interest, though I was proud of my Oklahoma Girl Carrie Underwood! (Whoops)
Efficient Morphing Mobile Autonomy
KITT: There are not enough hours in the day for me to list everything that confuses you.
Mike: Oh, snap!
Kitt: Yes, Micheal. Snap.

Petition #2507

LisaRosa
Recruit

Post by LisaRosa » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:16 am

Sky_Blue_Civic wrote:

Very true. I've been very interested in techy stuff since Tron (a movie that I absolutely loved) premired on the big screen in '81 (or '82, the memory is first thing to go...). When I was teenager, arcade video games were the rage and when Knight Rider (the original) came along, I knew from then on I wanted to work with computers. When movies and TV shows were shown back then, they were given a chance to get up to speed, but now they're lucky to be on for a month. My brother was telling me the other day that he remembered the very first Star Wars being in the theater for a year before they took it off. I wish they would do that for KR08. Let it try to spread its wings. Afterall, all baby birds fall out the nest on the first flight. (Sorry, could resist the analogy. :D )
Lisa :kittside:

Lynda414
FLAG Assistant

Post by Lynda414 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:44 am

Tech rawks of course. It's no fair that the boys try to keep it all to themselves. ^_^ I knew I was a techie ever since I saw the movie Hackers. I watched TOS KR as well, but I just loved KITT, I didn't consider myself a tech girl back then. I was 5/6

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:00 am

kitt_rulz wrote:So what is NBC thinking with Knight Rider now?? I mean I heard that Heros was doing bad, however the other day there was a commercial for a new season for it! I agree with alot of the others; since the relaunch it seems to be doing very good and with KARR comming up it looks as if it can only get better. But as long as it is with American Idol that will hurt it.
Heroes was huge in its first season. So was Prison Break. Networks are willing to give shows like that a chance before they pull the plug in the hopes of capturing that initial fame and glory. Look how bad Prison Break became over 4 seasons the last 2 seasons being especially horrendous, only this week did Fox say it was getting canceled. KR never reached that level of hype and probably won't so I'm not surprised at NBC's blase reaction to the series.

Faithful Car KRO
FLAG Recruit

Post by Faithful Car KRO » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:11 am

Mr.Marcus wrote: KR never reached that level of hype and probably won't so I'm not surprised at NBC's blase reaction to the series.
The problem with that statement is that there really wasnt that much "hype" for this new show, not counting the Knight Rider fandom.
The fact is, the Back Door Pilot really turned people off. It was panned by critics and viewers alike. Even going through the KR08 Discussions, which i did one day when i was bored at work (i went to page one and read most of the topics and caught up with everything), the show was pretty much disregarded, it was called lame and a giant Ford commercial.
The only people truly happy and excited about the return of a series was us die hard fans throughout the US and abroad. Entertainment sites and shows made fun of it since the day it was announced and has yet to cease.
I love KR:TNG (i refuse to call it KR08, since it's not 08 anymore). Even the shi77y episodes i love. Becuase it's Knight Rider, and i love Knight Rider.
But if it's true about GST not wanting the change in direction, and that countless storyline have been discarded, and NBC editing episodes a week before airdate, I can only assume that NBC wanted KR to fail.
Even after their plans to change the show back to the original format, and bringing back an extremely popular character, they have yet to promote it they way it should, like they do with their crappy reality shows and law and orders, it all leaves be to believe they just dont care anymore.
And that's sad, cause I love this show and everything about it.
"Michael, I agree with your earlier assessment, back-up plans suck."- KI3T
Put the word out!
WATCH THE SHOW!!!: Wed at 8:00pm on NBC.
Its getting better and gaining ratings, AWESOME!!

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:29 am

Faithful Car KRO wrote:
Mr.Marcus wrote: KR never reached that level of hype and probably won't so I'm not surprised at NBC's blase reaction to the series.
The problem with that statement is that there really wasnt that much "hype" for this new show, not counting the Knight Rider fandom.
Where's the problem? We're both claiming the same thing. KR never had or never reached the hype. Both statements by you and myself make the correct assumption that KR started with little to no hype to begin with.

B.R.O
Recruit

Post by B.R.O » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:39 pm

I have to agree with you people, if NBC doesn't give Knight Rider a new timeslot (like they should have done months ago) it's be toast in no time due to American Idol (not that it wouldn't be toast anyway with the competioton it's had since it started).

I always feel like going on a killingspree in shoppingcentre whenever I look at what gets vievers these days (other than the news). I mean reality has almost completely taken over regular broadcast televison, not only is it an isnult to people's inteligence (much like most dumbed down documentaries), it's sometimes so faked it shouldn't even be called reality (stuff like re-shooting stuff with boddy dubbles and going to tribe meetings with airconditioned SUV's in Survivor).

So by the looks of it the new Knight Rider most likely is going to meet a similar end as Team Knightrider (that just like the new kight rider got really intresting at the end of the first and last season)...

ElectricPhantom
Rookie

Post by ElectricPhantom » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:50 pm

Let's face it:

Knight Rider 2008 had a hard life from the moment it began. It seems that Murphy's Law has applied directly to it.

It's almost unrealistically unfair the bad luck that has been bestowed upon the show.

- and yet we still hang on to 3rd place. That's quite a feat if you ask me with the political debates, criticism, two month hiatus, lack of promotion, etc.

knightdogg
Rookie

Post by knightdogg » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:07 pm

The ratings tell me one thing.......

Knight Rider fans do not give a rip about American Idol. :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good:

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:14 pm

And lets not forget Knight Rider has never really had a great time of it, think back to TOS. they had problems getting it on the air in the first place so I heard.

And it held it's own for 4 seasons.

Lets face it, being a Knight Rider fan has never been easy, always the uncertaintly, but I think things are as posative as they can be at the moment.

For instance if you read items on the net a lot of them want to dig a hole for it.

It's not easy, not lets just hope..

It's not over yet by a long shot.

dannycoventryuk
Stranger

Post by dannycoventryuk » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:34 pm

this show i thought was good till episode 2 with the guy racing the red car. never saw such bad effect ever makes everyone laugh all time. since it has been watchable with some good parts. since the show came bk in the last two episodes ive liked it alot more its much better i think this is down to:
rick hoffmen as a bad guy its about time they got real actors in for bad guys they need to repeat the quality of actors because they keep letting the show down.
and better effects when driving.
im from the uk and i stay up till early hours to download it almost soon as it finishes in america i love it that much. im a dedicated fan i must advertise it more than NBC and it aint even here yet they need to bring it abroud they will make huge profits on the show and never drop it bring out a model of the new kitt.
just when they bring the show to the uk they should not show episode two it kinder makes me embarrased and i didnt even make it

FordFilly82
Operative

Post by FordFilly82 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:58 pm

whet wrote:And lets not forget Knight Rider has never really had a great time of it, think back to TOS. they had problems getting it on the air in the first place so I heard.

And it held it's own for 4 seasons.

Lets face it, being a Knight Rider fan has never been easy, always the uncertaintly, but I think things are as posative as they can be at the moment.

For instance if you read items on the net a lot of them want to dig a hole for it.

It's not easy, not lets just hope..

It's not over yet by a long shot.
This is true, imo!
Granted I was not a watcher of KR during the orginal run, but the research I have done of the behind the scenes, does agree that KR as *always* had it rough. Unlike the Star Treks which pretty much are hits b4 they are even out of the gate.
BTW, I love the KR:TNG, but then I'm a trekkie too so... lol
KITT: There are not enough hours in the day for me to list everything that confuses you.

Petition #2507

coach41
Recruit

Post by coach41 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:28 am

WOW - I forgot if I was surfing on my blackberry or what, but I saw that the KARR episode is up against some hefty competition this week. Not only is American Idol on, but the Lost Season 5 premier is on at ABC (8 PM I believe as well).

I don't know if this was intentionally planned by NBC, but if it was, it was extremely poor planning. KR has been getting mediocre ratings and the reboot is making a last ditch effort to give the series a lift. But now it's up against some HUGE shows. I know the Peter Cullen/Transformers angle may draw some fans, but getting new viewers may prove to be difficult.

It may have been better to restart the show before the end of December and let the KARR episode go against re-runs or something.

FordFilly82
Operative

Post by FordFilly82 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:15 am

coach41 wrote:WOW - I forgot if I was surfing on my blackberry or what, but I saw that the KARR episode is up against some hefty competition this week. Not only is American Idol on, but the Lost Season 5 premier is on at ABC (8 PM I believe as well).

I don't know if this was intentionally planned by NBC, but if it was, it was extremely poor planning. KR has been getting mediocre ratings and the reboot is making a last ditch effort to give the series a lift. But now it's up against some HUGE shows. I know the Peter Cullen/Transformers angle may draw some fans, but getting new viewers may prove to be difficult.

It may have been better to restart the show before the end of December and let the KARR episode go against re-runs or something.
I think it will give a better sense of how well KR could do.

Petition #2507