Ratings for "Day Turns Into Knight"

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

neps
Site Administrator
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Ratings for "Day Turns Into Knight"

Post by neps » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:21 am

They're starting to come in. And let me preface this by saying it was up against American Idol who had a staggering 16.8/26 rating share!
NBC’s soon-to-depart Knight Rider opened the evening fourth in the 8 p.m. hour, with a mere 3.2/ 5 at 8 p.m. That led into a repeat of Law & Order: SVU (#3: 3.3/ 5) and granddaddy Law & Order (#2: 5.7/ 9) from 9-11 p.m.
So for the 8-9 hr it was

1. American Idol 16.8/26
2. New Adventures of Old Christine, Gary Unmarried 4.6/7 4.5/7
3. Lost (R) 3.5/6
4. Knight Rider 3.2/5
5. Fear is Real (CW) 1.0/2 (dropped 42% from previous week)

Previous KR weeks
Don't Stop The Knight - 3.6/ 6
Knight Fever - 2.7/5
Knight of the Zodiac - 3.4/5

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Re: Ratings for "Day Turns Into Knight"

Post by goldbug » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:28 am

Ouch. This really makes me wonder if the show needs a new time slot. Going up against "American Idol" for ANY show is near disastrous.
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

triran
Rookie

Post by triran » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:30 am

That is a disaster especially seeing as it is improving so much!

knightny
Rookie

Post by knightny » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:38 am

It's also on the wrong day because viewers who are interested in Law and Order are not the same crowd as those interested in Knight Rider. This show would be better off on Mondays along with Heroes and Chuck or Fridays at 8

Luis
Rookie

Post by Luis » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:42 am

Oh no. Are these horrible numbers or what? I'm starting to get worried...

KITTRINA
Recruit

Post by KITTRINA » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:02 am

im so disapointed......it probably would do better on another night. last nights episode was so good. I dont think nbc is doing enough marketing for the show. I rarely see commercials for it, and people still are surprised to hear it is on tv when i mention it.

trissybabes
FLAG Recruit

Post by trissybabes » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:12 pm

Oh dear.

This is such a shame.

I guess it's "too little too late". There's gonna have to be one mamma of a leap in ratings next week.

What I don't get in all of this though, is that NBC originally wanted the series back. NBC made the pilot, then commissioned the series after it was successful in February.

What is then delivered is (a): In reality nothing like the pilot movie (b): accordingthe the SFX article thread, not the series they initially wanted anyway.

Then when it gets back to what they want and takes a serious upturn in quality, audiences don't want to know.

I'm loving this show - it's modern, edgy, FUN, escapist, technological and has a look like nothing else currently on TV and it looks like it'll be cut down in it's prime AS IS USUAL with everything that comes out of the US these days, whereas that muck like "CSI: No Imagination" gets commissioned by the bucketload.

What is wrong with the world? What happened to good old escapist action adventure fun on the air?
Last edited by trissybabes on Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TravisKnight01
Recruit

Post by TravisKnight01 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:17 pm

I hate american idol

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:25 pm

The show is toast at this point. Let's be glad the last few episodes they gave us have been good so far and they included the icon KARR in this series.

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:30 pm

trissybabes wrote:Oh dear.

This is such a shame.

I guess it's "too little too late". There's gonna have to be one mamma of a leap in ratings next week.

What I don't get in all of this though, is that NBC originally wanted the series back. NBC made the pilot, then commissioned the series after it was successful in February.

What is then delivered is (a): In reality nothing like the pilot movie (b): accordingthe the SFX article thread, not the series they initially wanted anyway.

Then when it gets back to what they want and takes a serious upturn in quality, audiences don't want to know.

I'm loving this show - it's modern, edgy, FUN, escapist, technological and has a look like nothing else currently on TV and it looks like it'll be cut down in it's prime AS IS USUAL with everything that comes out of the US these days, whereas that muck like "CSI: No Imagination" gets commissioned by the bucketload.

What is wrong with the world? What happened to good old escapist action adventure fun on the air?
I don't understand the schizophrenia associated with this series either. I think its b/c they wanted to bring KR into the current times and it didn't gel well. Its too simply a concept for a serial type series and in its original form is too sexist for today's world. They reworked it and made it more complex with gov. agents and conspiracies, Michael/Sarah angst, etc. But it didn't fit the premise of the original concept. Couple this with the whole KR as a platform for Ford products and that throws salt on the wound. The sad part is that when they finally figured it out the general public isn't interested anymore.

tmtcnya
Volunteer

Post by tmtcnya » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:35 pm

Thats odd that the ratings were lower this week then last week. You would think people would want to see what will happen. The show is still holding strong against American Idol. We could rebound next week. People got there fix of the same old crap on American Idol's opening week, maybe they will tune in to see KARR next week. NBC how about an advertisement for next week episode??

KamenRider
Recruit

Post by KamenRider » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:41 pm

trissybabes wrote:I'm loving this show - it's modern, edgy, FUN, escapist, technological and has a look like nothing else currently on TV and it looks like it'll be cut down in it's prime AS IS USUAL with everything that comes out of the US these days, whereas that muck like "CSI: No Imagination" gets commissioned by the bucketload.

Oh, I've been asking that same question for a loooong time. Not just for tv but in regards to pop-culture in general including my particular corner of it and the one place you would think to find just that kind of thing in abundance, comic books.

Because while I don't mind a little modern and edginess I don't need everything to be grimdark Serious Business to feel like it's modern.

I hope that the worst case scenario is that the show gets onto another network.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:52 pm

NOT ALL IS LOST!

Updated numbers reveal a happier note:

"American Idol" scored a 15.1/24 at 8 p.m. with its second audition show. "Old Christine," 4.8/8, and "Gary Unmarried," 4.6/7, put CBS in second. NBC came in third with "Knight Rider," 3.4/5, while ABC aired a "Lost" rerun. The CW got only a 0.9/1 from "13 - Fear Is Real."

from http://www.zap2it.com/tv/ratings/zap-ra ... 9510.story" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:56 pm

I have a good friend who is a "TV exec at an unspecified network" who needs to follow the ratings very carefully. I was telling him I was disappointed that Knight Rider came in 4th, especially since it was getting really good. He told me

"it didnt come in 4th, it came in 3rd, tying LOST 3rd run episode from 8-9pm. it actually beat lost if you dont round up. it held up well against IDOL -- did the same exact # as last week -- small audience -- but they are loyal."

So I don't know who is looking at which numbers. It seems odd that there would be that much difference interpreting the data. Maybe one of them is looking at early data and all the numbers aren't in yet, I don't know.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

ronni3
Operative

Post by ronni3 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:57 pm

not bad...3.4/5 and in third palce. if idol wasnt there we would have been in second. so lets ignore idol cse it aint budging from its spot and we frankly cant even compete with it.....still have to see the demographics.
"If I may attempt a colloquialism of my own, Thanks Brosef" K.I.T.T

ronni3
Operative

Post by ronni3 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:59 pm

oh wait...they r in
In the adults 18-49 demographic, FOX's 11.6 rating equaled the Tuesday number. CBS finished second, albeit way off the lead, at 2.9. ABC and NBC tied for third at 1.7, while The CW drew a 0.5.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:00 pm

More from the same source I initiall posted from. That data is from the fast nationals I believe it's called, at 10am est before all the data from the west coast is in - we are now seeing more more accurate totals:
NBC’s soon-to-depart Knight Rider opened the evening with a mere 5.34 million viewers (#3) and a 1.6/ 4 among adults 18-49 (#3) at 8 p.m. That led into a repeat of Law & Order: SVU (Viewers: #3, 4.52 million; A18-49: #4, 1.2/ 3) and granddaddy Law & Order (Viewers: #2, 8.19 million; A18-49: #2, 2.2/ 6) from 9-11 p.m.

In preparation of the return of Lost next Wednesday, ABC aired three back-to-back repeats, which averaged just 4.48 million viewers (#4) and a 1.7/ 4 among adults 18-49 (#3t) for the evening.
a comment on that post: "wow knight has some loyal viewership.. it actualy held up in viewers against Idol.. who knew it was capable of that?"

TravisKnight01
Recruit

Post by TravisKnight01 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:02 pm

Where is karr when you need him he can take out all of the idol makers and creators.

ronni3
Operative

Post by ronni3 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:03 pm

the real question is tht is it good enuff?...what do u think...if we are holding up is the second season in the cards?

JimmyPSHayes
Operative

Post by JimmyPSHayes » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:18 pm

I will never understand the appeal of people wanting to watch a Karaoke contest over any other TV show. Glad that the final numbers were better than predicted!

gotigers1
Rookie

Post by gotigers1 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:22 pm

I hope NBC sees the loyalty in the fan base of the show with the ratings since it was going up against American Idol. This is a sign that the show is holding it's own, but will it be enough? I do think if they move it to a Monday or even a Thursday night, it might do better.

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:26 pm

JimmyPSHayes wrote:I will never understand the appeal of people wanting to watch a Karaoke contest over any other TV show. Glad that the final numbers were better than predicted!
That's b/c tons of teens and women watch shows like American Idol and Dancing with the Stars. The men in their lives just go along with it b/c its the path of least resistance. Hence the ratings juggernauts that these shows always turn out to be.

gotigers1
Rookie

Post by gotigers1 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:28 pm

Mr.Marcus wrote:
JimmyPSHayes wrote:I will never understand the appeal of people wanting to watch a Karaoke contest over any other TV show. Glad that the final numbers were better than predicted!
That's b/c tons of teens and women watch shows like American Idol and Dancing with the Stars. The men in their lives just go along with it b/c its the path of least resistance. Hence the ratings juggernauts that these shows always turn out to be.
Hence why I have 4 TV's in my house! :good:

Drake
Operative

Post by Drake » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:31 pm

I wish American Idol would die. It's an example of everything that's wrong with TV. Reality TV must die!
The Kenner Knight 2000 Voice Car. One toy can make a difference.........

Lynda414
FLAG Assistant

Post by Lynda414 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:40 pm

Ugh, I hate American Idol. And I'm a woman! Straight too! You think I would be all over bad singing and haughty judges, year after year. What am I doing liking a franchise about a talking car kicking ass?

*shakes head and sighs* I can even put computers together. Something must be wrong with me.