NBC ordering 3 more ER episodes-Why not KR?

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

DrWho2005
Operative

NBC ordering 3 more ER episodes-Why not KR?

Post by DrWho2005 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:20 pm

Argh those people are mental.

NBC have ended ER.
It wont be coming back.
It's a high rating show with a lot of fans but it has come to an end.
So what do they do?
Hell, they give it an extra three shows.
It wont help the ratings- they are already good.
The show wont be renewed even if they get 50 percent of viewers.

So bascially the investesment they are maing in ER will have no long term advantages.

Why the hell couldnt they have done the same thing for KR?

Our show can possibly be a big hit for NBC..no really, it could be.
Why not invest that money into a show that can generate future earnings?

Imagine if we were given 3 episoes, or even two.

Bring back Michael and KITT snr and the rating will climb.
Have KITT die in the final and make it obvious The Hoff is here to stay.
The ratings would be high and NBC would see people are still willing to give KR a go.

The three episode investment would have paid off.

But it seems no, lets just give an ended show a few more episodes and cut back on a running one.

This is actually making believe NBC truly are planning on or have already cancelled KR.

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Re: NBC ordering 3 more ER episodes-Why not KR?

Post by Mr.Marcus » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:26 pm

LOL its b/c KR is on the way out. Yet, people will still be in denial until its official.

KR will never be a big hit. It was a one hit wonder in the 80s b/c of the novel concept in an age of burgeoning computer technology. Unfortunately the show has been bogged down over the years with baggage in the form of "cheesy", "Hoff's afro", "Its a talking car! (sarcastic tone)", "campy." This is what Joe Six Pack thinks of when they hear the title Knight Rider. Only the true fans love the show. Its a shame but its reality. The best Knight Rider can ever hope for is a modest success and that won't cut it on NBC. Perhaps if this was aired on a lesser network or cable it might have a chance but if you think the FX are bad now they will be much worse without the big budget NBC throws on it.

bige
Rookie

Post by bige » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:53 pm

For ER it has been on for 15 seasons and this is ER final season for good. All of ER commericals say ER Final Season, since I know that show will not end on a clifhanger since it is the final season. Like for Las Vegas I forget what season it was but on season final of that show it ended with a clifhanger, then during the summer the show got canceled., ER not cancel it is just in there final season.

the original KITT
Operative

Post by the original KITT » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:09 pm

Y does Knight rider have to show on NBC? Y not another American Channel? Hopefully the reboot will change there minds. And when is it going to come to england even though i watch it loll (live in England)
Michael:“KITT I NEED YAH!”
Kitt:“ON MY WAY MICHAEL!”

nee716
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by nee716 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:31 pm

the original KITT wrote:Y does Knight rider have to show on NBC? Y not another American Channel? Hopefully the reboot will change there minds. And when is it going to come to england even though i watch it loll (live in England)

If NBC doesnt work out I still have hope they might go into Syndication. Look @ Viper they had Half of Season 1. Then 3 more full seasons in syndication. And in todays age with the internet, Message Boards so it is possible.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:00 pm

Shows like this can't really survive in syndication anymore.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

DrWho2005
Operative

Post by DrWho2005 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:03 pm

can someone please explain what is syndication?

Im Australian

WIBoomer1
FLAG Recruit

Post by WIBoomer1 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:34 pm

Syndication is when a television show is not shown on one of the major networks, but can be bought for space on other networks. A great example of this is Star Trek: The Next Generation. Those episodes were produced by Paramount, and sold to different networks, to be shown at different times across the nation.

Someone mentioned moving KR to another network. Both of these solutions will not work, as KR is owned by NBC/Universal. The only logical solution is for the Sci-Fi Network to take this over...but the budget for KR must be more than some of the other original series they show, such as "Stargate: Atlantis", and soon "Stargate: Universe".

Don't forget Battlestar Galactica. This too is a NBC/Universal property, and the mini-series and some episodes have been shown on NBC after the eps ran on Sci-Fi.

Even Team Knight Rider was part of a Syndication Action Pack, which never took off.

Let's concentrate on getting more people to watch the next 2 weeks...

Harry Singh Jr.
Operative

Post by Harry Singh Jr. » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:38 pm

Show is a good show. To survive they need David Hasseloff to make another appearance. Like how they promote KARR have some hints of him and the original making an appearance. Also if they tried a couple flash backs might help too. Like Mike and KITT and get into some sort of trouble. He checks his data banks to find out what his father and the original KITT would have done.

The life of the show is the original fans. Keep them happy and you've got ratings.

DrWho2005
Operative

Post by DrWho2005 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:02 pm

can someone please explain what is syndication?

Im Australian

JTurchetta
Volunteer

Post by JTurchetta » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:30 pm

NBC is ordering more episodesbecause ER is NBC's only top rated program. Its the networks only hour long drama that is consistantly the number 1 rated Thursday night show. Has been for 15 years. Once it is done NBC will be up a creek without a paddle.

With the exception of Life and Law and Order, MOST of the hsows on NBC are comedies. Either hour long, like "Chuck" or half hour like "30 Rock"

With shows like Scrubs jumping to ABC, NBC needs all the help they can get in the ratings.
J.

KITT Season 4
Rookie

Post by KITT Season 4 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:07 pm

is it possible that they could get those episodes back? Has any other show done it before?

JTurchetta
Volunteer

Post by JTurchetta » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:14 pm

Anything is possible. But since none of the 5 episodes had gone into production yet, its not likely we would see them until Summer at the earliest.

If NBC sees the raitings go up.. and greenlights Season 2, its my guess that those 5 episodes would make up the first 5 of Season 2. UNLESS NBC wants to do them in the Summer since more and more networks are starting to do new Summer programming.

Lexicon
Operative

Post by Lexicon » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:35 pm

nee716 wrote:
the original KITT wrote:Y does Knight rider have to show on NBC? Y not another American Channel? Hopefully the reboot will change there minds. And when is it going to come to england even though i watch it loll (live in England)

If NBC doesnt work out I still have hope they might go into Syndication. Look @ Viper they had Half of Season 1. Then 3 more full seasons in syndication. And in todays age with the internet, Message Boards so it is possible.
Viper was dumped by NBC and picked up by Paramount two years later for UPN and general syndication. Universal wouldn't likely let Knight Rider go anywhere else other than the Sci-Fi Channel which would probably be a better fit than NBC but I think they would significantly reduce the budget or force the show to move to Canada which is SOP for the Sci-Fi Channel.

To the guy who asked what syndication is, it's when a studio sells a show to non-affiliated networks (most of which only exist overseas now) to broadcast as filler content. Syndication is how other countries usually get American TV shows. Knight Rider was heavily syndicated overseas after the show went off the air due to the popularity of The Hoff in Europe and many other 80's Universal properties were syndicated overseas as well which led to huge amounts of foreign merchandise for shows like Airwolf, The A-Team, Magnum PI, and the original Battlestar Galactica.

arhskr81
Rookie

Post by arhskr81 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:32 am

Has NBC said what is going to take ER's place in the 9:00 slot next year, maybe move KR to Thurs. nights and put it in the 9:00 slot.

JTurchetta
Volunteer

Post by JTurchetta » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:52 am

Jay Lenos new primetime show will take ER's place. Starting in the fall.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:29 am

Leno's show starts at 10. Kings was meant to take the place of ER in March but with the extra episodes, it's getting pushed back.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

KnightINSTINCT
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightINSTINCT » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:08 am

Two months worth of Knight Rider left on NBC is great, guys. If you think about it, the cards have been played pretty fairly, considering this show is galloping on it's own steam. The advertising is kept minimal, only marketed during the NFL games, and we still see a good share in the ratings (mostly standing in third place). Why did ER get more eps? Because it's a seriously long running show and deserves an over the top adieu to its Thursday night slot that it's kept for over a decade. Why not KR? I have to side with NBC for their reason "Why should we?"

We've heard for over half a year that Knight Rider was going to carry a story arc that would consume a good chunk of the episodes this season. Nothing that has carried forth since it's beginning should be considered sudden or unexpected. The idea of KR being cancelled won't be solid until around the end of January or middle of February....come on guys, most of you know this to be true, if you ever supported a show as seriously as you do with KR. Knight Rider is riding strong against senior shows, so there is reallly no need to worry. If NBC does however pull the plug, then they are going to see a tremendous outcry that not many other shows that were cancelled in seasons past have witnessed. I mount up the Knight Rider fanbase right up there with Battlestar or Star Trek. It's funny how Battlestar has not really received as much support as Knight Rider....at least I haven't seen it (never watched it either), and that survives. Star Trek just won't die, because everytime one show gets cancelled, a movie or another new show on the mythology emerges. Just sit back and enjoy KR08. Don't pick it apart, because it's too late to change anything about it now.

Someone on these boards who knows about other programs on TV should create a thread on what other shows have done due to viewer feedback, because I'm curious if Knight Rider was one of the most received on fair criticism, in terms of production. NBC has been very fair, if not over extending to it's fans for Knight Rider. Changing haters' minds about this show seemed like an impossible task, but I think they did it for most of us. Though for all the Trans AM and Hoff worshippers, I don't think the producers would or should ever think about banking on TOS KITT or Micheal Knight to boost ratings. Excuse me moderators for saying this to the rest of the community, but that's a low-brained scheme that only a SYNDICATED TV show would try to do to help out it's show. KR08 is good enough to not rely on TOS for those aspects. Let that stay mythical, I say.

ronni3
Operative

Post by ronni3 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:55 am

KnightINSTINCT wrote:Two months worth of Knight Rider left on NBC is great, guys. If you think about it, the cards have been played pretty fairly, considering this show is galloping on it's own steam. The advertising is kept minimal, only marketed during the NFL games, and we still see a good share in the ratings (mostly standing in third place). Why did ER get more eps? Because it's a seriously long running show and deserves an over the top adieu to its Thursday night slot that it's kept for over a decade. Why not KR? I have to side with NBC for their reason "Why should we?"

We've heard for over half a year that Knight Rider was going to carry a story arc that would consume a good chunk of the episodes this season. Nothing that has carried forth since it's beginning should be considered sudden or unexpected. The idea of KR being cancelled won't be solid until around the end of January or middle of February....come on guys, most of you know this to be true, if you ever supported a show as seriously as you do with KR. Knight Rider is riding strong against senior shows, so there is reallly no need to worry. If NBC does however pull the plug, then they are going to see a tremendous outcry that not many other shows that were cancelled in seasons past have witnessed. I mount up the Knight Rider fanbase right up there with Battlestar or Star Trek. It's funny how Battlestar has not really received as much support as Knight Rider....at least I haven't seen it (never watched it either), and that survives. Star Trek just won't die, because everytime one show gets cancelled, a movie or another new show on the mythology emerges. Just sit back and enjoy KR08. Don't pick it apart, because it's too late to change anything about it now.

Someone on these boards who knows about other programs on TV should create a thread on what other shows have done due to viewer feedback, because I'm curious if Knight Rider was one of the most received on fair criticism, in terms of production. NBC has been very fair, if not over extending to it's fans for Knight Rider. Changing haters' minds about this show seemed like an impossible task, but I think they did it for most of us. Though for all the Trans AM and Hoff worshippers, I don't think the producers would or should ever think about banking on TOS KITT or Micheal Knight to boost ratings. Excuse me moderators for saying this to the rest of the community, but that's a low-brained scheme that only a SYNDICATED TV show would try to do to help out it's show. KR08 is good enough to not rely on TOS for those aspects. Let that stay mythical, I say.
u do have quite a point.....we are after all fairing against the big dogs like bones and scrubs etc etc and now American Idol. what NBC should see now is if the ratings stay constant, and if they increase look at it as a bonus. because we all know american idol has a HUGE fanbase and viewership so defeating it would definately be impossible. also the show is picking up...GST has pushed all the right buttons in the reboot and sorta made up for the somewhat abysmal performance in the first 8 eps...dun get me wrong the first 8 were good if they were in the middle eg ep 12 to 19 but they shouldve started with an arc like the last 2 eps to gain ratings....but we misstakes we are all human and we learn from them...GST has learned from his and the least NBC should do is to increase advertisements and give KR a second season albeit for only a trial of 9 eps. every body deserves a second chance to ractify there mistakes and GST and KR certainly deserve it based on the last 2 eps.
"If I may attempt a colloquialism of my own, Thanks Brosef" K.I.T.T

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:50 pm

How do you know he has pushed all the right buttons? We haven't seen the "reboot" yet. The first nine episodes make up the ones that were done before we even saw Knight in Shining Armor and none of them were what I'd call great. Episode ten (first episode of the transition) was significantly better in some aspects but it too is by no means "there" yet, hopefully episode 11 will at least be on par with the first half of this two-parter. I still think it's way too early to say the powers that be finally "got it" with KR until we've seen how they've handled the change in direction. However, the show is going to pretty much live or die from how episode 12 performs. If KR can withstand the American Idol onslaught and hold ground, maybe even pick up more viewers, then I think there's a good chance it'll survive for a second season. The worst thing that can happen though is if the show starts losing whatever viewers it has at this point. Even with AI being on at the same time, it'd give NBC a good enough excuse not to renew it.

As for ER, like most everyone else has said, ER is a show that's been on for 15 or so years, it's been consistently one of NBC's top rated shows. Its finally is going to pull in HUGE ratings, it only makes sense that NBC would want to stretch it out even more because once it's done there's no telling how its replacement will perform. Plus, I might be wrong but from reading what I've read, it seems like these three extra ER episodes were part of the deal made with WB to get NBC's to take their new show, Police.

Just what NBC and all TV needs..... More even cop dramas... *vomits*

BlackKitt
Rookie

Post by BlackKitt » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:02 pm

This Knight Rider does not need Floorburger Hasselhoff.

DrWho2005
Operative

Post by DrWho2005 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:43 pm

BlackKitt wrote:This Knight Rider does not need Floorburger Hasselhoff.

Oh get over it.

SO the bloke got on the grog and his idiot kid thought it would be fun to record it.

Jeez, not like i havent spewed before.

And why wouldnt you want the original crew back?

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:38 pm

DrWho2005 wrote:
BlackKitt wrote:This Knight Rider does not need Floorburger Hasselhoff.

Oh get over it.

SO the bloke got on the grog and his idiot kid thought it would be fun to record it.
DH's daughter didn't record it for fun, she did it to show him what he's been like...

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:03 pm

arhskr81 wrote:Has NBC said what is going to take ER's place in the 9:00 slot next year, maybe move KR to Thurs. nights and put it in the 9:00 slot.
KR will be DOA against CSI:Las Vegas,since that's the show in CBS's time slot.
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

arhskr81
Rookie

Post by arhskr81 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:01 am

Good point i'm never home on thurs. so i didn't know what eles is on. Another thing i thought of is that once ER does end NBC is going to have that much more for spending, let's hope that they spread that to other shows.