The new turbo boosts

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

KnightINSTINCT
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: The new turbo boosts

Post by KnightINSTINCT » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:57 pm

the original KITT wrote:

"No i prefere the turbo boost in TOS, the kind of explosion sound as soon as KI2T hits the ramp and then that echo. The best sound. New series don't like how it gets too scientific kind of ruins the run up to turbo boost. if u know what i mean."

The good: It has fed the curiosity to those that always wondered how KITT got the power to even perform turbo boost.

The bad: It pisses off the TOS faithful that it doesn't work exactly like it did during the days of TOS.

This is point to bring across: KI2T's turbo boosting sound effect was a slowed down effect that we all recognize because they decided to stick with it. Check out Brother's Keeper in season two of TOS. You'll hear the sound effect of what KI2T's thrusters may sound like if they would had always gone with real time speed for KI2T's turbo boost. I'll say this, hands down, KI2T's turbo boosts are the best....only from season one and two. These seasons caught the real time speed of what KI2T looked like doing turbo boost....though there is barely enough to mention. Most scenographic scenes that are impressing me more and more are indeed KI3T's, and with what we can do for shows today, it's just going to get better. I love the thruster sound effects for KI3T's and how we can actually see him take off from the ground without a ramp. C'mon TOS faithful, get the rotting stick out of your asses and agree. You know that some of the effects back then were god awful. As much of a fan as I am, I wished for better presentation on KITT's marvel accomplishments and am now being able to see it. For what the limitations are during the present, it's beating out what had been done before - the beginning of this current season and TOS.

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:31 pm

gromia77 wrote:I watched "Soul Survivor" yesterday and there's a very nice turbo boost scene there when the remote controlled car jumps over Michael's car. Now that's what I'd call a Turbo Boost :good:

Why can't Ford just allow some wrecking of their cars so we'd see a real turbo boost instead of CGI? I mean, it would be a bit cheaper, wouldn't it?
No its not cheaper. Its not just a wrecked car. Its the stunt driver, closing off roads, EMS and Fire crews on standby, insurance, conforming with municipal codes, having engineers come in and assess safety, etc. Every element adds more money to the event and makes it costlier. The CGI turbo boosts aren't great by any means but they are no worse than the models used in TOS. Watching Goliath smash into KITT and the obviously fake model car rolling over is as painful as watching some of the CGI turbo boosts in KR08. The actual turbo boosts in KR08 are not that bad. What makes them look bad is the corny way a turbo boost is peformed. From the garish attack mode configuration, to the cartoonish redirection of the exhaust pipes, to the KR logo on the undercarriage. All these elements turn a tolerable CG product into something that looks much worse. Instead of lending some realistic elements to the CG in the efforts of hiding the drawbacks of the CG technology, they have added cartoonish elements like the turning exhaust pipes and KR symbol on the underbody and further emphasized the fakeness of the CG.

KnightINSTINCT
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightINSTINCT » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:36 pm

gromia77 wrote:I watched "Soul Survivor" yesterday and there's a very nice turbo boost scene there when the remote controlled car jumps over Michael's car. Now that's what I'd call a Turbo Boost :good:

Why can't Ford just allow some wrecking of their cars so we'd see a real turbo boost instead of CGI? I mean, it would be a bit cheaper, wouldn't it?
Seasons one and two of TOS were the only good seasons that showed great turbo boosts....well, season three had a pretty awesome one with KITT jumping from tall building to in that suite in the other tall building. The beauty of today's Knight Rider: once they imagine an idea that's good, it's going up and will look fantastic, thanks to CGI.

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:48 am

KnightINSTINCT wrote:Seasons one and two of TOS were the only good seasons that showed great turbo boosts....well, season three had a pretty awesome one with KITT jumping from tall building to in that suite in the other tall building. The beauty of today's Knight Rider: once they imagine an idea that's good, it's going up and will look fantastic, thanks to CGI.
I'm far easier on CGI then a lot of people, its a great tool, and when used correctly it can look absolutely incredible. But the fact of the matter is you can still tell. The moment KI3T leaves the ground its very obvious that the car is not real. Not jumping a real car diminishes the effect of the jump and makes KITT just a little less real because we're not watching the car jump.

I am well aware jumping a real car is very expensive and I'm not saying they show should expend resources needed elsewhere on it. I'm not saying jumping the car for real would save the show and I'm not being nostalgic. You can't convince me that watching a CGI Mustang hop around will make KITT as believable as watching a real Mustang fly through the air.

I hated the model in the old KR more than anything else on that show, CGI is today's model car, it just looks a lot better, but it still has the same overall effect of pulling you out of the immersion. Jarring you to remember the car's not real.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"